Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Helios518 wrote:Not really needed as much DB/Z/Kai but does anyone think that it's possible to improve on Super's pacing without removing important plot points and creating many inconstencies?
Yes, the padding in this arc adds nothing to the story. It's just Pilaf shenanigans, mostly Mai obsessing over Trunks.
Retired.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Just an FYI, I am actually working on Dragon Ball Z Recut as well. Small blurb added in the original post.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:39 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Just an FYI, I am actually working on Dragon Ball Z Recut as well. Small blurb added in the original post.
Well crap, I'm already 6 episodes in. Well I guess we can compare our versions.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:38 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Well crap, I'm already 6 episodes in. Well I guess we can compare our versions.
That's fine with me, there's nothing wrong with multiple fan edits. However, I would appreciate you calling it something other than Dragon Ball Z Recut, if possible, as I'd prefer to keep all of my edits under the "Recut" banner.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:55 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Well crap, I'm already 6 episodes in. Well I guess we can compare our versions.
That's fine with me, there's nothing wrong with multiple fan edits. However, I would appreciate you calling it something other than Dragon Ball Z Recut, if possible, as I'd prefer to keep all of my edits under the "Recut" banner.
My backup name would be DBZ - Manga Cut as lame as it sounds.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:34 am

Ooooh so this what I found on a certain website the otherday! Nice work man! Especially handy since I planned on re-watching DB again but subbed (for the first time), this will sure save some time!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm doing Z Recut because I really want a Manga faithful version with the original Japanese audio from Z.
Are you using the Funi Blu-Ray's Audio, it's a few notches above the rest.
I was under the impression that the reason the Funi japanese audio "sounds" better than the Dragon Box audio was because of equalization stuff which removed frequencies, basically sounding clearer but losing detail...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm doing Z Recut because I really want a Manga faithful version with the original Japanese audio from Z.
Are you using the Funi Blu-Ray's Audio, it's a few notches above the rest.
I was under the impression that the reason the Funi japanese audio "sounds" better than the Dragon Box audio was because of equalization stuff which removed frequencies, basically sounding clearer but losing detail...
Nope, you're thinking of the Orange Bricks, those aren't so good.

For the Blu-Rays, it's an entirely new audio masters created from fan tapes of the original broadcast audio that had been thrown out.

I encourage you to listen to both, the difference is surprising.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:24 pm

AFAIK, Orange Bricks use Funi masters without much editing, so it sounds a little worse than the Dragon Boxes, but not by much. Dragon Box, of course, uses Toei's audio masters...

Season Blu-Rays are the Funi Masters with equalization. At no point does funi use the Kei17 vhs recordings or anything similar.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Danfun64 wrote:AFAIK, Orange Bricks use Funi masters without much editing, so it sounds a little worse than the Dragon Boxes, but not by much. Dragon Box, of course, uses Toei's audio masters...

Season Blu-Rays are the Funi Masters with equalization. At no point does funi use the Kei17 vhs recordings or anything similar.
I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one, but I'm notorious for my fuzzy memory. Do we have any source we can check?

Either way, coming from someone who has access to both DBoxes and Blu-Rays, the Blu-Rays sound undisputably better.
Retired.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:AFAIK, Orange Bricks use Funi masters without much editing, so it sounds a little worse than the Dragon Boxes, but not by much. Dragon Box, of course, uses Toei's audio masters...

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one, but I'm notorious for my fuzzy memory. Do we have any source we can check?

Either way, coming from someone who has access to both DBoxes and Blu-Rays, the Blu-Rays sound undisputably better.
In fact, I'm going to make a personal request for someone to find a source. I really hate being wrong.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

In fact, I'm going to make a personal request for someone to find a source. I really hate being wrong.
They're not Kei's tapes, sorry
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

They're not Kei's tapes, sorry
In that case, I wonder where I heard it, because I'm positive that it was from someone that's usually reliable.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: In that case, I wonder where I heard it, because I'm positive that it was from someone that's usually reliable.
Geekdom101 did in a video. It was an accident.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In that case, I wonder where I heard it, because I'm positive that it was from someone that's usually reliable.
Geekdom101 said it in a YouTube video a while back, but was mistaken.

The audio just has regular EQ and noise reduction applied. Definitely not broadcast audio.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Ajay wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In that case, I wonder where I heard it, because I'm positive that it was from someone that's usually reliable.
Geekdom101 said it in a YouTube video a while back, but was mistaken.

The audio just has regular EQ and noise reduction applied. Definitely not broadcast audio.
Thanks for that. It's strange for him to make that kind of mistake. Although I stand by the Blu-rays sounding better.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Thanks for that. It's strange for him to make that kind of mistake. Although I stand by the Blu-rays sounding better.
To me, I don't know what they did, but the Blu Rays kinda hurt my ears. I know it sounds weird but it's like they made the voices louder a bit. The voice's static sound on them bothers my ears in a weird way. Maybe not hurt, bad wording on my part, but it bothers me. Though, to be honest, I won't ever be fully satisfied with a release of the original audio until we get this instead of this crap.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Thanks for that. It's strange for him to make that kind of mistake. Although I stand by the Blu-rays sounding better.
To me, I don't know what they did, but the Blu Rays kinda hurt my ears. I know it sounds weird but it's like they made the voices louder a bit. The voice's static sound on them bothers my ears in a weird way. Maybe not hurt, bad wording on my part, but it bothers me. Though, to be honest, I won't ever be fully satisfied with a release of the original audio until we get this instead of this crap.
I wouldn't say for a second that I'm okay with the audio, but the old masters are gone. The only way to get great audio would be to put it through meticulous editing. It would probably cost too much time for fans, and definitely too much money for Toei.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I wouldn't say for a second that I'm okay with the audio, but the old masters are gone. The only way to get great audio would be to put it through meticulous editing. It would probably cost too much time for fans, and definitely too much money for Toei.
Some of the people here have that time though. You'd be surprised how far people will go to achieve their goal and get what they want. I know it's a TV show but giving up is the worst thing to do in these kinda situations. We just gotta keep trying and searching. I'm sure that's how Kei received all the rare Dragon Ball dubs and recordings that he has. Many of them outside of his own country.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:22 pm

So I have some questions about DBZ Recut. Are you going to include an English track? And if so, take advantage of the 5.1 Kai dub audio by isolating the voice and sound effects and replacing the music with the Z Kikuchi placement using the CD releases? I completely understand if you opt not to due to the amount of work required. I just thought it would be a cool thing to have.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube