General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 pm

I keep toying around with a Future Trunks crossover fanfic. With DC comics, that is.

Unlike 99% of all other ones with him, he wouldn't be paired off with Supergirl, but with a regular human being (but that would be lower on the list, as romance is not by strong suit). The only issues I run into are;

How old is Trunks when he goes to DC Earth?
What team should he join up with? And there's a LOT of teams.
And, should I bring say, Zamasu or Android 21 (or similar such being) with him to give him an antagonist?

The "how" is easy enough, considering all of the reality warping events that happen in DC Comics. Plus, in DC Comics, there's not only the established 52 universes, but also the Dark Multiverse, Hypertime, and universes beyond the 52 (the 53rd, for example, has sentient Chimps as the Justice League).

User avatar
Son Goharotto
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Son Goharotto » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am

I guess this is the place, if any, for some shameless self-promotion! One of the first things I ever did on the Internet was post my DBZ fanfiction, a hobby which I had long since fallen out of, but I recently got into watching MasakoX's "What if?" videos and was inspired to do something similar. I'm not comfortable being on camera, so I started writing a new series as a sort of writing exercise, to stay creative.

The premise is simple enough: "What if Raditz went to Earth instead of Kakarrot?" It's not full prose like I used to write; each part is more like a 1-to-2 page outline. Think of them as summaries of manga chapters, because that's literally how I imagine it in my own head. If that sounds at all interesting, you can read it in chronological order on my Tumblr here. I also post it to my DeviantArt gallery, if you prefer that format. =)

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 am

Been a while since I posted here as I've been going through a lot of shit for the past five or so months.

How's everyone doing? I hope your writing's been going well.

My DBZ x MHA crossover’s gotten popular enough to the point that there’s no conceivable way to please everyone… and the people who are displeased will definitely let their displeasure be known.

Some people want Gohan to be a stoic, hardass Vegeta clone, and typical Saiyan battle junkie, who doesn’t show any emotions other than rage and “badassery”. They want the story to have no tension whatsoever, and have Gohan be this uber godlike being who oneshots every single villain and has a harem with every attractive female he comes across.

Others want Gohan to be the exact same way he is in canon, which wouldn’t make sense by any means given his circumstances in my crossover. To briefly summarise, he’s been separated from his family for over six years with no knowledge of how to go back to them, lives alone in a crummy apartment in the bad part of the city, spent his childhood at a crappy school full of delinquents and with teachers who didn’t care about their job, and is a one-of-a-kind force of nature whose very existence screws up the natural order of the world he now inhabits.

Taking all that into account, it wouldn’t make any sense to have him be the same happy-go-lucky dork he was in the Boo arc. He’s still the same goofy dork at heart, and retains his awkwardness and naivety (to a degree), but his personality has also been shaped by his new surroundings, giving him a kind of edge that wasn’t present in the canon story.

I tried to inject a certain realism into my story, especially in regards to characters’ emotions, that isn’t explored in DBZ because it’s mostly about fighting. So, naturally, there are people who say my version of Gohan is a “pussy” for allowing himself to be affected by his circumstances, and showing realistic emotions that anyone in his situation would exhibit.

Fortunately, the overall reception to my crossover has been overwhelmingly positive, and most people love that I'm taking the time to show the more human aspect of the story instead of just the balls to the wall action that DBZ is known for.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Been a while since I posted here as I've been going through a lot of shit for the past five or so months.

How's everyone doing? I hope your writing's been going well.

My DBZ x MHA crossover’s gotten popular enough to the point that there’s no conceivable way to please everyone… and the people who are displeased will definitely let their displeasure be known.

Some people want Gohan to be a stoic, hardass Vegeta clone, and typical Saiyan battle junkie, who doesn’t show any emotions other than rage and “badassery”. They want the story to have no tension whatsoever, and have Gohan be this uber godlike being who oneshots every single villain and has a harem with every attractive female he comes across.

Others want Gohan to be the exact same way he is in canon, which wouldn’t make sense by any means given his circumstances in my crossover. To briefly summarise, he’s been separated from his family for over six years with no knowledge of how to go back to them, lives alone in a crummy apartment in the bad part of the city, spent his childhood at a crappy school full of delinquents and with teachers who didn’t care about their job, and is a one-of-a-kind force of nature whose very existence screws up the natural order of the world he now inhabits.

Taking all that into account, it wouldn’t make any sense to have him be the same happy-go-lucky dork he was in the Boo arc. He’s still the same goofy dork at heart, and retains his awkwardness and naivety (to a degree), but his personality has also been shaped by his new surroundings, giving him a kind of edge that wasn’t present in the canon story.

I tried to inject a certain realism into my story, especially in regards to characters’ emotions, that isn’t explored in DBZ because it’s mostly about fighting. So, naturally, there are people who say my version of Gohan is a “pussy” for allowing himself to be affected by his circumstances, and showing realistic emotions that anyone in his situation would exhibit.

Fortunately, the overall reception to my crossover has been overwhelmingly positive, and most people love that I'm taking the time to show the more human aspect of the story instead of just the balls to the wall action that DBZ is known for.
Yeah, I would ignore the ones who want Gohan to be Vegete-lite. That's just not him at all.

And though slightly disappointed Gohan isn't full on Great Saiyaman level of dork, I can live with it and see where you come from with it.

User avatar
Alruneia
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:38 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Been a while since I posted here as I've been going through a lot of shit for the past five or so months.

How's everyone doing? I hope your writing's been going well.
I guess the thread did go a bit dormant, huh. I imagine people are probably just busy or have nothing to report/ask about.
Personally I've been focusing on my JoJo fanfic until recently, when I hit a bit of a creative wall. I switched over and rewrote three chapters of my Dragon Ball fanfic, though (and by rewrite, I mean... well, the old version and the new version are about as similar as the manga ToP and the anime ToP are), so at least that's something.
My DBZ x MHA crossover’s gotten popular enough to the point that there’s no conceivable way to please everyone… and the people who are displeased will definitely let their displeasure be known.
That sounds about right. Trying to please everyone inevitably leads to pleasing no one, so I'd say just ignore them. It can't be helped.
Current avatar: Shizuka Joestar (Adult)

Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 57 out of 100 chapters complete (Currently doing a partial rewrite, 10/20 chapters done)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(Chapter 8 is now out. Now to finish chapter 9...)

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7799
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 am

I've been off Kanz in general nowadays so there's my reason for being off the thread. As for what I'm writing now? I'm doing a rewrite of Super Broly. Removing the Minus stuff, tightening up the structure and expanding on certain characters I didn't feel were that executed well in the movie as is.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:45 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I've been off Kanz in general nowadays so there's my reason for being off the thread. As for what I'm writing now? I'm doing a rewrite of Super Broly. Removing the Minus stuff, tightening up the structure and expanding on certain characters I didn't feel were that executed well in the movie as is.
After the RoF movie was released, I wanted to do a short parody rewrite of it depicting a more realistic version of events, in my opinion at least. I thought it made no sense how Freeza could go from Namek SSJ level to being stronger than SSJB in four months, so I would've had him get creamed when he showed up on Earth. Also thought it was a bit contrived that his goons could gather the Dragon Balls, make a wish, then get away from Earth without being noticed.

It's been years since I had this idea though, and I've long since lost interest in it. Got more interesting things to write.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

User avatar
Son Goharotto
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Son Goharotto » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Took a detour from my regular What If series (which is up to Part 65 btw) to write a one-shot:

Back To Z Future, a.k.a. "What if the wrong Trunks went back in time?"

#ShamelessSelfPromotion

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4007
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Son Goharotto wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 pm
Took a detour from my regular What If series (which is up to Part 65 btw) to write a one-shot:

Back To Z Future, a.k.a. "What if the wrong Trunks went back in time?"

#ShamelessSelfPromotion
What is your main what-if about?
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
Son Goharotto
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Son Goharotto » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 pm
Son Goharotto wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 pm
Took a detour from my regular What If series (which is up to Part 65 btw) to write a one-shot:

Back To Z Future, a.k.a. "What if the wrong Trunks went back in time?"

#ShamelessSelfPromotion
What is your main what-if about?
"What if Raditz went to Earth instead of Kakarrot?"

It's inspired in equal parts by MasakoX's "What if Raditz turned good?" YT series and Dragon Garow Lee's Dragon Ball Sai: Super Vegeta Den fan manga. It's written more like an outline than full prose, but that means I'm getting deeper into it than any past fanfic of mine. The main point of interest for me is that I'm working in elements from the movies.

If that sounds at all interesting to you, there are two places you can read it, depending upon your preferred format: in my DeviantArt gallery here, or my Tumlr, with all related posts in chronological order here.

Post Reply