General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know if Goku would quit under those circumstances but you could bring up an interesting point if Goku's recklessness comes from him knowing in the back of his head that he can fix everything with the DBs when everything's said and done.
Probably not, but I really wanna write something unexpected with Goku. Him quitting martial arts is about as unexpected as you can get.
As long as it gives Goku's character something interesting to do or deal with, I'm always up for it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:55 am

Doctor. wrote: Goku would blame himself for the situation and quit martial arts as a result (at least until a certain point in the story). Which only leaves Gohan. I figured I'd go the Super/GT route and just have him lose his power due to not training, but that'd piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it? :lol:
I would say go another route as that seems wildly out of character for Goku, he wouldn't quit; this would only be more reason to train. If you want the powerful ones out of the picture you could have them doing somthing in the other part of the galaxy, or have the villain trap them at the beginning.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:01 am

Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Goku would blame himself for the situation and quit martial arts as a result (at least until a certain point in the story). Which only leaves Gohan. I figured I'd go the Super/GT route and just have him lose his power due to not training, but that'd piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it? :lol:
I would say go another route as that seems wildly out of character for Goku, he wouldn't quit; this would only be more reason to train. If you want the powerful ones out of the picture you could have them doing somthing in the other part of the galaxy, or have the villain trap them at the beginning.
I'd just make Goku an old decrepit man to get him out of the picture. That way you've removed him from the equation and you put him in a situation where he can't do his favorite things in the world: training and fighting and he has to learn to deal with it, allowing for some introspection. It's how I did it when I did a remake of GT with Pilaf making Goku really, really old instead of a kid again.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:02 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
I'd just make Goku an old decrepit man to get him out of the picture. That way you've removed him from the equation and you put him in a situation where he can't do his favorite things in the world: training and fighting and he has to learn to deal with it, allowing for some introspection. It's how I did it when I did a remake of GT with Pilaf making Goku really, really old instead of a kid again.
Or use the idea of Kioken being able to criple you taht Super kind of touched upon.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:08 am

Kanassa wrote:Or use the idea of Kioken being able to criple you taht Super kind of touched upon.
That or since he wants to just use the manga without any of the anime stuff, use Super Saiyan 3 instead. It's implied to be a taxing form that might not even be attainable under normal conditions so Goku going overboard with it against someone could either permanently damage his body or wreck his ki similar to Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:11 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Or use the idea of Kioken being able to criple you taht Super kind of touched upon.
That or since he wants to just use the manga without any of the anime stuff, use Super Saiyan 3 instead. It's implied to be a taxing form that might not even be attainable under normal conditions so Goku going overboard with it against someone could either permanently damage his body or wreck his ki similar to Super.
Yeah, that's a good idea actually. I could still approach the "Goku gives up martial arts" angle without having to have him quit directly. Could probably even keep Vegeta alive since SS2 Vegeta is a weakling and it's not inconceivable that the kids can surpass him, but I'll think about it later.

There's still ultimate Gohan to deal with though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 am

Doctor. wrote:Yeah, that's a good idea actually. I could still approach the "Goku gives up martial arts" angle without having to have him quit directly. Could probably even keep Vegeta alive since SS2 Vegeta is a weakling and it's not inconceivable that the kids can surpass him, but I'll think about it later.

Gohan's a problem no matter what. If you just have him lose Ultimate he just looks like a tosser for not training again after the Boo Saga but he's way too strong if you don't. I would suggest having Pan maybe inherit his Ultimate form like I joke she did for Super :P

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:19 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Yeah, that's a good idea actually. I could still approach the "Goku gives up martial arts" angle without having to have him quit directly. Could probably even keep Vegeta alive since SS2 Vegeta is a weakling and it's not inconceivable that the kids can surpass him, but I'll think about it later.

Gohan's a problem no matter what. If you just have him lose Ultimate he just looks like a tosser for not training again after the Boo Saga but he's way too strong if you don't. I would suggest having Pan maybe inherit his Ultimate form like I joke she did for Super :P
I'll just kill him off, nobody likes Gohan anyway.

Could have a villain take his power away from him somehow or maybe Elder Kaioshin finds some kind of weak point in the ritual and warns Gohan that he'll be losing his power slowly. I'll think of something that doesn't seem asspull-ish :P

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

Could have a villain take his power away from him somehow or maybe Elder Kaioshin finds some kind of weak point in the ritual and warns Gohan that he'll be losing his power slowly. I'll think of something that doesn't seem asspull-ish :P
But... who's gonna be the main characters if you remove Gohan as well? Goten and Trunks? Uub? Pan and Bulla? Marron? All of the above? Someone entirely new?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:25 am

Alruneia wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

But... who's gonna be the main characters if you remove Gohan as well? Goten and Trunks? Uub? Pan and Bulla? Marron? All of the above? Someone entirely new?
The main fighters would be Oob and Pan with Goten, Trunks and #17's son in a supporting role.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:26 am

Doctor. wrote:The main fighters would be Oob and Pan with Goten, Trunks and #17's son in a supporting role.
I'm the most interested by your villain ideas, especially since you're ignoring Super and GT.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The main fighters would be Oob and Pan with Goten, Trunks and #17's son in a supporting role.
I'm the most interested by your villain ideas, especially since you're ignoring Super and GT.
Well that's still something I have to figure out since I'm still in the early stages of planning :P But most likely I'll use the Multiverse concept from Super and put my own spin to it. I could use some concepts from GT and Super here and there, but I'll try so that the villains are composed of mostly original concepts and ideas, I could pick up some unexplored concepts in the manga and guidebooks too (like the Makaio Realm, even though a lot of fanfics already do that). For instance, I want to do something with Elder Kaioshin's line about the dragon balls being bad, but I don't wanna do something similar to the Shadow Dragons.

Just throwing ideas out there, like I said, I don't have anything definitive yet beyond the timeframe, the role of Goku and who the main characters are gonna be.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 am

Doctor. wrote:Well that's still something I have to figure out since I'm still in the early stages of planning :P But most likely I'll use the Multiverse concept from Super and put my own spin to it. I could use some concepts from GT and Super here and there, but I'll try so that the villains are composed of mostly original concepts and ideas, I could pick up some unexplored concepts in the manga and guidebooks too (like the Makaio Realm, even though a lot of fanfics already do that). For instance, I want to do something with Elder Kaioshin's line about the dragon balls being bad, but I don't wanna do something similar to the Shadow Dragons.

Just throwing ideas out there, like I said, I don't have anything definitive yet beyond the timeframe, the role of Goku and who the main characters are gonna be.
An interesting idea would be if the universe is targeting Earth because of the Dragon Balls effects. Think about, Old Kai calls them cheat codes in the Viz translation and that's what they are, cheat codes that let you do things you ordinarily shouldn't be able to. So you've got this little planet constantly shuffling dead souls in and out of the afterlife and being brought back from catastrophe's and the universe is sending more and more powerful threats the Earth's way to "correct things".

I mean, this is a universe where Trunks just showing up apparently alters the timeline drastically even if it has no real reason to so karmic retribution for the Earth using cheat codes isn't any less plausible if you ask me.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:42 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Well that's still something I have to figure out since I'm still in the early stages of planning :P But most likely I'll use the Multiverse concept from Super and put my own spin to it. I could use some concepts from GT and Super here and there, but I'll try so that the villains are composed of mostly original concepts and ideas, I could pick up some unexplored concepts in the manga and guidebooks too (like the Makaio Realm, even though a lot of fanfics already do that). For instance, I want to do something with Elder Kaioshin's line about the dragon balls being bad, but I don't wanna do something similar to the Shadow Dragons.

An interesting idea would be if the universe is targeting Earth because of the Dragon Balls effects. Think about, Old Kai calls them cheat codes in the Viz translation and that's what they are, cheat codes that let you do things you ordinarily shouldn't be able to. So you've got this little planet constantly shuffling dead souls in and out of the afterlife and being brought back from catastrophe's and the universe is sending more and more powerful threats the Earth's way to "correct things".

I mean, this is a universe where Trunks just showing up apparently alters the timeline drastically even if it has no real reason to so karmic retribution for the Earth using cheat codes isn't any less plausible if you ask me.
Getting rid of the dragon balls would be a sort of deconstruction of the series, wouldn't it? I've actually wanted to write a deconstruction of DB before but it's always something really difficult to pull off.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:46 am

Doctor. wrote:Getting rid of the dragon balls would be a sort of deconstruction of the series, wouldn't it? I've actually wanted to write a deconstruction of DB before but it's always something really difficult to pull off.
From my experience, it's really hard to make it seem genuine. I sort of went with a deconstruction angle with Freeza intentionally expecting the main cast to act like idiots then using that to almost kill them all and take over the Earth in my remake of Resurrection F but some of his dialogue seems really on the nose now that I look back on it.

But a deconstruction of Dragon Ball is something that can lead to a lot of fascinating things to get brought up. Just the shit Goku does alone purely for his own selfish reasons can let you write a whole bunch of interesting stories, then when you bring in Vegeta with his massive body count of innocent people that's always swept under the rug and you've got lots of good material to work with.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Getting rid of the dragon balls would be a sort of deconstruction of the series, wouldn't it? I've actually wanted to write a deconstruction of DB before but it's always something really difficult to pull off.
From my experience, it's really hard to make it seem genuine. I sort of went with a deconstruction angle with Freeza intentionally expecting the main cast to act like idiots then using that to almost kill them all and take over the Earth in my remake of Resurrection F but some of his dialogue seems really on the nose now that I look back on it.

But a deconstruction of Dragon Ball is something that can lead to a lot of fascinating things to get brought up. Just the shit Goku does alone purely for his own selfish reasons can let you write a whole bunch of interesting stories, then when you bring in Vegeta with his massive body count of innocent people that's always swept under the rug and you've got lots of good material to work with.
I read a fanfic a while ago where Gohan and Goku cut ties with each-other due to Goku's negligence and abandonment. It qualifies as a deconstruction, but it's also something too bleak and uncharacteristically Dragon Ball. I'd like to deconstruct the series but not to the point where you can no longer recognize it as Dragon Ball. I feel that's where a lot of fanfics fail, they just go full grimdark try to point out the stupidity in Toriyama's writing whilst forgetting what makes the series what it is.

So basically, I'd like to make a version of DB that is to the original ike how Digimon Tamers is to Adventure and Chrono Cross is to Trigger.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:05 am

Doctor. wrote:I read a fanfic a while ago where Gohan and Goku cut ties with each-other due to Goku's negligence and abandonment. It qualifies as a deconstruction, but it's also something too bleak and uncharacteristically Dragon Ball. I'd like to deconstruct the series but not to the point where you can no longer recognize it as Dragon Ball. I feel that's where a lot of fanfics fail, they just go full grimdark try to point out the stupidity in Toriyama's writing whilst forgetting what makes the series what it is.

So basically, I'd like to make a version of DB that is to the original ike how Digimon Tamers is to Adventure and Chrono Cross is to Trigger.
I read that too and I was disappointed it went a too far into the bleak direction. Not that I mind bleak, I'll take darker stories in this recent climate of "make everyone snarky and generically likeable even when they're doing clearly awful things to other people" but it has to have a fine line drawn.

Still, I think when you're doing a deconstruction fic, by virtue of it being a deconstruction, you're gonna have to address with whatever stupid writing a series happens to have in it. How you go about that makes all the difference. That's why I'm worried if I can pull off a particular story where Vegeta goes to the afterlife with Goku and meets up with a LOT of people who's planets & species he helped annihilate and how does he get to be there with them?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I read a fanfic a while ago where Gohan and Goku cut ties with each-other due to Goku's negligence and abandonment. It qualifies as a deconstruction, but it's also something too bleak and uncharacteristically Dragon Ball. I'd like to deconstruct the series but not to the point where you can no longer recognize it as Dragon Ball. I feel that's where a lot of fanfics fail, they just go full grimdark try to point out the stupidity in Toriyama's writing whilst forgetting what makes the series what it is.

I read that too and I was disappointed it went a too far into the bleak direction. Not that I mind bleak, I'll take darker stories in this recent climate of "make everyone snarky and generically likeable even when they're doing clearly awful things to other people" but it has to have a fine line drawn.

Still, I think when you're doing a deconstruction fic, by virtue of it being a deconstruction, you're gonna have to address with whatever stupid writing a series happens to have in it. How you go about that makes all the difference. That's why I'm worried if I can pull off a particular story where Vegeta goes to the afterlife with Goku and meets up with a LOT of people who's planets & species he helped annihilate and how does he get to be there with them?
Well, if the series ever did that kind of story today, they'd probably make it so that all of the people he met were coincidentally the evil ones he killed :P

This is after the Boo arc, I assume? Since before then, he'd just go to Hell. I feel like as long as you give Vegeta closure (and the characters he killed), as well as an appropriate punishment (without going overboard like that fanfic and making it so that Goku and everyone else starts hating him suddenly) then it should be alright, it's an interesting angle and concept.

It's difficult to pull off though. Since Heaven in DB is basically a paradise, those people shouldn't have much to complain about (y'know, beyond being killed against their will). You could have some of the characters still being traumatized and having nightmares and PTSD about when Vegeta killed them and be unable to live properly even in Heaven.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am

Doctor. wrote:
Well, if the series ever did that kind of story today, they'd probably make it so that all of the people he met were coincidentally the evil ones he killed :P

This is after the Boo arc, I assume? Since before then, he'd just go to Hell. I feel like as long as you give Vegeta closure (and the characters he killed), as well as an appropriate punishment (without going overboard like that fanfic and making it so that Goku and everyone else starts hating him suddenly) then it should be alright, it's an interesting angle and concept.

It's difficult to pull off though. Since Heaven in DB is basically a paradise, those people shouldn't have much to complain about (y'know, beyond being killed against their will). You could have some of the characters still being traumatized and having nightmares and PTSD about when Vegeta killed them.
Actually, this is in Future Trunks' timeline. The threat of Majin Boo gets moved up in the timeline so King Kai arranges for the people killed by 17 & 18 to train in the afterlife plus Gohan so they can fight the Androids but also Babidi (in this version, Supreme Kai basically wants to use them as bait to draw Babidi out with their strong energies). So, you've got dickhead Vegeta training in the afterlife with a bunch of people he's killed and the other characters needing to deal with that. Tien is on the side of these people, seeing Vegeta as an irredeemable scumbag while Piccolo is more torn being an ex-bad guy himself but also spends time with the Namekian's Vegeta killed on Namek, specifically the ones who weren't revived by either Shenron or Porunga.

It's not the main focus of the story, just kind of a running subplot through the afterlife section but it's something I'm nervous about tackling well.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Actually, this is in Future Trunks' timeline. The threat of Majin Boo gets moved up in the timeline so King Kai arranges for the people killed by 17 & 18 to train in the afterlife plus Gohan so they can fight the Androids but also Babidi (in this version, Supreme Kai basically wants to use them as bait to draw Babidi out with their strong energies). So, you've got dickhead Vegeta training in the afterlife with a bunch of people he's killed and the other characters needing to deal with that. Tien is on the side of these people, seeing Vegeta as an irredeemable scumbag while Piccolo is more torn being an ex-bad guy himself but also spends time with the Namekian's Vegeta killed on Namek, specifically the ones who weren't revived by either Shenron or Porunga.

It's not the main focus of the story, just kind of a running subplot through the afterlife section but it's something I'm nervous about tackling well.
Ah, I see. Sounds interesting enough. Good luck with that!