General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm

I've started writing some original fiction. Nothing too big though, just story snippets of around 1000 words.

I want to get into some freelance creative writing work, so I need to show samples of my writing. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff I've ever written has been in fanfiction, which I can't really use for something like this as I want to keep my fanfiction persona entirely separate from the real life me. I'm a really private person.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
I've started writing some original fiction. Nothing too big though, just story snippets of around 1000 words.

I want to get into some freelance creative writing work, so I need to show samples of my writing. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff I've ever written has been in fanfiction, which I can't really use for something like this as I want to keep my fanfiction persona entirely separate from the real life me. I'm a really private person.
That's fair, I am also interested in professional writing but the only thing I currently am working on is my Dragon Ball GT fan fiction as a way to improve my skills. I also have that worry that all I am decent at writing is fanfiction





My story. Hope you all give it a look:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13446149/1 ... T-Season-1

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm

I'd say fan fiction works well as a "tutorial" for getting into original fiction writing. Basically, you're learning how to ride a bicycle, and the franchise that you're building off of is your training wheels. So if professional writing is the direction you want to go, then I'd say write all the fanfic you need! Just remember that it is training and that writing completely original stories will be different. There's a lot more you need to do, since you have to establish pretty much everything from scratch. Anyway, I hope it goes well!
I've been making some drafts to a little original story I've called "Warriors of the Ice Ocean". It's a manga/comic story, though, not a novel, so it's not quite the same thing.
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 73 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 13-18...)

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm
I'd say fan fiction works well as a "tutorial" for getting into original fiction writing. Basically, you're learning how to ride a bicycle, and the franchise that you're building off of is your training wheels. So if professional writing is the direction you want to go, then I'd say write all the fanfic you need! Just remember that it is training and that writing completely original stories will be different. There's a lot more you need to do, since you have to establish pretty much everything from scratch. Anyway, I hope it goes well!
I've been making some drafts to a little original story I've called "Warriors of the Ice Ocean". It's a manga/comic story, though, not a novel, so it's not quite the same thing.
I agree and thanks. Hope people can check out my work to give me feedback

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:51 am

Mad Swami wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 pm
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
I've started writing some original fiction. Nothing too big though, just story snippets of around 1000 words.

I want to get into some freelance creative writing work, so I need to show samples of my writing. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff I've ever written has been in fanfiction, which I can't really use for something like this as I want to keep my fanfiction persona entirely separate from the real life me. I'm a really private person.
That's fair, I am also interested in professional writing but the only thing I currently am working on is my Dragon Ball GT fan fiction as a way to improve my skills. I also have that worry that all I am decent at writing is fanfiction





My story. Hope you all give it a look:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13446149/1 ... T-Season-1
The only way to get better at writing is to keep doing it. Write and read as much material as you can, but do it all with the mindset of wanting to learn and improve. If you get complacent and become satisfied with your current level, then you're either not going to improve at all, or it'll be a much, much slower process.

At least, that's how I've always seen it.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 31, 2020 3:56 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:51 am
Mad Swami wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 pm
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
I've started writing some original fiction. Nothing too big though, just story snippets of around 1000 words.

I want to get into some freelance creative writing work, so I need to show samples of my writing. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff I've ever written has been in fanfiction, which I can't really use for something like this as I want to keep my fanfiction persona entirely separate from the real life me. I'm a really private person.
That's fair, I am also interested in professional writing but the only thing I currently am working on is my Dragon Ball GT fan fiction as a way to improve my skills. I also have that worry that all I am decent at writing is fanfiction





My story. Hope you all give it a look:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13446149/1 ... T-Season-1
The only way to get better at writing is to keep doing it. Write and read as much material as you can, but do it all with the mindset of wanting to learn and improve. If you get complacent and become satisfied with your current level, then you're either not going to improve at all, or it'll be a much, much slower process.

At least, that's how I've always seen it.
Makes sense

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 am

Alruneia wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Well, after way, way, way too long, I've finally made it to my fifth story arc. Maybe I'll get this thing done at some point after all... I think I've talked about this arc before in this thread, like way back, so my speed has been a bit really low, but I'm motivated to finally get started on this one. Goku and Vegeta finally return from their training trip, Trunks gets married, the journey to the top of the god hierarchy begins... I hope it'll be as fun for people to read when the time comes as it'll be for me to write!
Aaand I'm at the climax of the arc already. I guess I really have been excited to write this thing. I don't even have the sixth arc fully planned out yet, and it's only five or six chapters away from starting... Oh well, I didn't expect to hold this pace for very long anyway, so it's all good in my book. Just gotta make sure Shimi ends up as the complete lunatic she's supposed to be. Messing up my first proper female villain would not be great, I really want her to be an enjoyable character.
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 73 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 13-18...)

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Man, I picked a horrible time to upload a new chapter.

FFN is going through one of those phases where reviews don't show up on the site, while email notifications on AO3 are delayed, meaning those people who follow my fic on AO3 still haven't been notified about the new chapter, even though I updated nine hours ago.

I can forgive AO3's issues, since the people who run that site are always active and trying to make things better (even if their moderation team is crap), but FFN is really going down the shitter. It has been for a long while. The issue I mentioned, where you can't check reviews on the site, has been a recurring thing ever since I first started posting there, but it used to an incredibly rare occurrence. Now, it happens at least once a month.

As if that wasn't enough, about a month or two ago FFN massively increased how many ads they display in the middle of stories, right between blocks of text, whereas in the past the ads would only show up on the sidebars. Not only is this incredibly intrusive, it's also incredibly scummy. And it's even worse on mobile, because these ads cover the whole screen and readers are always at risk of clicking on them because they have to use their fingers to scroll down. Ever since this became a thing, I noticed a slight decrease in my daily number of readers, so I had to recommend everyone download an adblocker in the AN for my latest chapter.

It's so frustrating how poorly maintained and managed FFN is.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Man, I picked a horrible time to upload a new chapter.

FFN is going through one of those phases where reviews don't show up on the site, while email notifications on AO3 are delayed, meaning those people who follow my fic on AO3 still haven't been notified about the new chapter, even though I updated nine hours ago.

I can forgive AO3's issues, since the people who run that site are always active and trying to make things better (even if their moderation team is crap), but FFN is really going down the shitter. It has been for a long while. The issue I mentioned, where you can't check reviews on the site, has been a recurring thing ever since I first started posting there, but it used to an incredibly rare occurrence. Now, it happens at least once a month.

As if that wasn't enough, about a month or two ago FFN massively increased how many ads they display in the middle of stories, right between blocks of text, whereas in the past the ads would only show up on the sidebars. Not only is this incredibly intrusive, it's also incredibly scummy. And it's even worse on mobile, because these ads cover the whole screen and readers are always at risk of clicking on them because they have to use their fingers to scroll down. Ever since this became a thing, I noticed a slight decrease in my daily number of readers, so I had to recommend everyone download an adblocker in the AN for my latest chapter.

It's so frustrating how poorly maintained and managed FFN is.
Yeah, I've had that issue from time to time. I am nearly finished my latest chapter so I hope when I post next I don't encounter it

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 am

I have been thinking about it for a while, and have concluded that I will start posting on Wattpad. Mad Swami was taken so I will be Maddest Swami. I plan to post on Fanfiction.com until I complete the arc. Then I will go back and touch up anything I feel may deserve a fix-up. Then after I will post the revised version on Wattpad. So if any wish, they can simply wait for me to post there to enjoy the probably better version.

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 am

Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 am
I have been thinking about it for a while, and have concluded that I will start posting on Wattpad. Mad Swami was taken so I will be Maddest Swami. I plan to post on Fanfiction.com until I complete the arc. Then I will go back and touch up anything I feel may deserve a fix-up. Then after I will post the revised version on Wattpad. So if any wish, they can simply wait for me to post there to enjoy the probably better version.
Do you post on AO3? If not, I recommend giving it a shot. I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, and the DBZ fandom in there is significantly smaller than on FFN, but it's still a far better site than Wattpad.

Wattpad... I've heard some nasty stories about that place. Its main user base is children and young teenagers, and because of that, the quality of writing tends to be pretty crap... not that there's anything wrong with that, because everyone has to start somewhere, but still. Because of the lack of maturity of Wattpad, there are frequent cases of plagiarism, and comments/reviews can get pretty nasty. Searching for specific types of stories is also a pain in the ass.

If you still want to give Wattpad a shot, then by all means, go for it. I'd wish you the best of luck. But personally... I wouldn't recommend that site to anyone looking to post fanfiction.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 am
Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 am
I have been thinking about it for a while, and have concluded that I will start posting on Wattpad. Mad Swami was taken so I will be Maddest Swami. I plan to post on Fanfiction.com until I complete the arc. Then I will go back and touch up anything I feel may deserve a fix-up. Then after I will post the revised version on Wattpad. So if any wish, they can simply wait for me to post there to enjoy the probably better version.
Do you post on AO3? If not, I recommend giving it a shot. I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, and the DBZ fandom in there is significantly smaller than on FFN, but it's still a far better site than Wattpad.

Wattpad... I've heard some nasty stories about that place. Its main user base is children and young teenagers, and because of that, the quality of writing tends to be pretty crap... not that there's anything wrong with that, because everyone has to start somewhere, but still. Because of the lack of maturity of Wattpad, there are frequent cases of plagiarism, and comments/reviews can get pretty nasty. Searching for specific types of stories is also a pain in the ass.

If you still want to give Wattpad a shot, then by all means, go for it. I'd wish you the best of luck. But personally... I wouldn't recommend that site to anyone looking to post fanfiction.
AO3? I haven't heard of it. I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about it. However, I guess if FFN has the largest DBZ fandom then I should continue to post there. I just hate how the system with editing previous chapters works.

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am

Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 am
Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 am
I have been thinking about it for a while, and have concluded that I will start posting on Wattpad. Mad Swami was taken so I will be Maddest Swami. I plan to post on Fanfiction.com until I complete the arc. Then I will go back and touch up anything I feel may deserve a fix-up. Then after I will post the revised version on Wattpad. So if any wish, they can simply wait for me to post there to enjoy the probably better version.
Do you post on AO3? If not, I recommend giving it a shot. I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, and the DBZ fandom in there is significantly smaller than on FFN, but it's still a far better site than Wattpad.

Wattpad... I've heard some nasty stories about that place. Its main user base is children and young teenagers, and because of that, the quality of writing tends to be pretty crap... not that there's anything wrong with that, because everyone has to start somewhere, but still. Because of the lack of maturity of Wattpad, there are frequent cases of plagiarism, and comments/reviews can get pretty nasty. Searching for specific types of stories is also a pain in the ass.

If you still want to give Wattpad a shot, then by all means, go for it. I'd wish you the best of luck. But personally... I wouldn't recommend that site to anyone looking to post fanfiction.
AO3? I haven't heard of it. I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about it. However, I guess if FFN has the largest DBZ fandom then I should continue to post there. I just hate how the system with editing previous chapters works.
It stands for Archive of our Own. AO3 and FFN are the two biggest fanfiction sites right now.

AO3 is a lot newer and has less users, but movies/TV shows and more recent anime/manga tend to have a larger following there than on FFN. AO3 also has NO restrictions on the kinda stuff you can post. Absolutely nothing is off limits, no matter how fucked up it is.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am
Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 am

Do you post on AO3? If not, I recommend giving it a shot. I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, and the DBZ fandom in there is significantly smaller than on FFN, but it's still a far better site than Wattpad.

Wattpad... I've heard some nasty stories about that place. Its main user base is children and young teenagers, and because of that, the quality of writing tends to be pretty crap... not that there's anything wrong with that, because everyone has to start somewhere, but still. Because of the lack of maturity of Wattpad, there are frequent cases of plagiarism, and comments/reviews can get pretty nasty. Searching for specific types of stories is also a pain in the ass.

If you still want to give Wattpad a shot, then by all means, go for it. I'd wish you the best of luck. But personally... I wouldn't recommend that site to anyone looking to post fanfiction.
AO3? I haven't heard of it. I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about it. However, I guess if FFN has the largest DBZ fandom then I should continue to post there. I just hate how the system with editing previous chapters works.
It stands for Archive of our Own. AO3 and FFN are the two biggest fanfiction sites right now.

AO3 is a lot newer and has less users, but movies/TV shows and more recent anime/manga tend to have a larger following there than on FFN. AO3 also has NO restrictions on the kinda stuff you can post. Absolutely nothing is off limits, no matter how fucked up it is.
AO3 is the website I've used to upload Action Blue and the website I intend to use to upload Dragon Ball Ultimate when it's ready. As you say, they're pretty lax on what's allowed (rules are what turned me away from fanfiction.net). Personally I find it to be a pretty easy website to use for uploading fan fiction, though I'll admit I haven't fully explored all the options.
I say give it a try. I mean, if you don't like it, nothing's stopping you from just deleting what you've put there, right? At least I'm pretty sure you can do that...
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 73 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 13-18...)

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28 pm
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am
Mad Swami wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am


AO3? I haven't heard of it. I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about it. However, I guess if FFN has the largest DBZ fandom then I should continue to post there. I just hate how the system with editing previous chapters works.
It stands for Archive of our Own. AO3 and FFN are the two biggest fanfiction sites right now.

AO3 is a lot newer and has less users, but movies/TV shows and more recent anime/manga tend to have a larger following there than on FFN. AO3 also has NO restrictions on the kinda stuff you can post. Absolutely nothing is off limits, no matter how fucked up it is.
AO3 is the website I've used to upload Action Blue and the website I intend to use to upload Dragon Ball Ultimate when it's ready. As you say, they're pretty lax on what's allowed (rules are what turned me away from fanfiction.net). Personally I find it to be a pretty easy website to use for uploading fan fiction, though I'll admit I haven't fully explored all the options.
I say give it a try. I mean, if you don't like it, nothing's stopping you from just deleting what you've put there, right? At least I'm pretty sure you can do that...
Right. Well, I guess what I will do is post to both for a while. However, I will finish my current arc first by posting it all to FFN. Then the touch up will be posted to AO3. From then on I will maybe do both or AO3 if you guys really think it's the better of the two.

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm

AO3 is a more modern and better designed site than FFN, but I still prefer FFN, despite its many, many flaws that are probably never going to get fixed. Regarding DBZ fics specifically, readers are FAR more likely to leave reviews on FFN than AO3, and constructive reviews at that.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:02 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm
AO3 is a more modern and better designed site than FFN, but I still prefer FFN, despite its many, many flaws that are probably never going to get fixed. Regarding DBZ fics specifically, readers are FAR more likely to leave reviews on FFN than AO3, and constructive reviews at that.
right. Well, I will probably continue with FFN. Just some the issues get bothersome

User avatar
p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by p-hyvo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Any news about dbaf chapter 21?
I feel like if i Say here where do i get numerically with dbgt/dbs Power levels, someone will get a stroke.
Better to not talk about dragon ball heroes ones, i swear
Lol

Also i don't wanna be rude, even if i know i can seem It sometimes. I'm Just too harsh in some occasions, that's It. I can't control that. Is not that i want to be and asshole or mean to you, i Simply don't know how to Say what i think i other ways .Just clarifying

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 pm

about halfway through my first arc of my story. So excited for the future arcs

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 966
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm
AO3 is a more modern and better designed site than FFN, but I still prefer FFN, despite its many, many flaws that are probably never going to get fixed. Regarding DBZ fics specifically, readers are FAR more likely to leave reviews on FFN than AO3, and constructive reviews at that.
True. Though I have noticed for a number of fanfics on FFN, some reviews are spam of some anon's own fanfic nonsense.

And one thing I've noticed, be it on FFN or AO3, for being such a popular character, there are surprisingly very few stories with Future Trunks as the main character. Let alone GOOD stories. Be it in crossovers (half of which are Sailor Moon smut stories, seemingly) or non-crossover (a number of which pair him up with Future 18, of all characters), there aren't that many.

Post Reply