General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Yeah I have a few Dragon Ball fics on AO3 and the engagment is REALLY low compared to FF.net. Almost depressingly so.

But on the bright side, I'm on chapter 3 of my End of Z retelling/canon divergent fic is coming along well.

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
(half of which are Sailor Moon smut stories, seemingly)
...What? Or, more importantly, why? I'm not knocking crossover stories, I know people love them and love to make them, but why would specifically Future Trunks and the Sailor Moon universe be that popular as a crossover? Does Pluto come over to kick Trunks' ass for time travelling and then it all snowballs from there or something? I'm only at the beginning of Sailor Moon SuperS at the moment, so since my knowledge is a bit incomplete... What's the appeal of this exact combination?
...Is it just that Future Trunks is attractive? In which case the writers would be self-inserting as one of the Sailor Moon characters, maybe to the point where it's narrated in first person... I don't know, I don't think I want to do research on this.
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 69 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 12-18...)

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Jackalope89 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
(half of which are Sailor Moon smut stories, seemingly)
...What? Or, more importantly, why? I'm not knocking crossover stories, I know people love them and love to make them, but why would specifically Future Trunks and the Sailor Moon universe be that popular as a crossover? Does Pluto come over to kick Trunks' ass for time travelling and then it all snowballs from there or something? I'm only at the beginning of Sailor Moon SuperS at the moment, so since my knowledge is a bit incomplete... What's the appeal of this exact combination?
...Is it just that Future Trunks is attractive? In which case the writers would be self-inserting as one of the Sailor Moon characters, maybe to the point where it's narrated in first person... I don't know, I don't think I want to do research on this.
Usually has to do with Trunks being royalty through Vegeta. And they often use their own headcanons and make it an alternate universe. The few times I actually delved into them out of boredom, the characters really didn't have anything in common with the real thing. Just the name and looks. Sometimes. I've long since learned to keep it "T" rated when going through DB/Z/Super fanfics.

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm
Alruneia wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Jackalope89 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
(half of which are Sailor Moon smut stories, seemingly)
...What? Or, more importantly, why? I'm not knocking crossover stories, I know people love them and love to make them, but why would specifically Future Trunks and the Sailor Moon universe be that popular as a crossover? Does Pluto come over to kick Trunks' ass for time travelling and then it all snowballs from there or something? I'm only at the beginning of Sailor Moon SuperS at the moment, so since my knowledge is a bit incomplete... What's the appeal of this exact combination?
...Is it just that Future Trunks is attractive? In which case the writers would be self-inserting as one of the Sailor Moon characters, maybe to the point where it's narrated in first person... I don't know, I don't think I want to do research on this.
Usually has to do with Trunks being royalty through Vegeta. And they often use their own headcanons and make it an alternate universe. The few times I actually delved into them out of boredom, the characters really didn't have anything in common with the real thing. Just the name and looks. Sometimes. I've long since learned to keep it "T" rated when going through DB/Z/Super fanfics.
Well that's shallow. I can't say I'm very surprised, though. And I have to agree with that age rating choice, at least for the most part. I'm sure there's some Dragon Ball fan stories that are worth reading and have mature ratings, but for the most part.
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 69 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 12-18...)

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 am

Alruneia wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm
Jackalope89 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm
Alruneia wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm

...What? Or, more importantly, why? I'm not knocking crossover stories, I know people love them and love to make them, but why would specifically Future Trunks and the Sailor Moon universe be that popular as a crossover? Does Pluto come over to kick Trunks' ass for time travelling and then it all snowballs from there or something? I'm only at the beginning of Sailor Moon SuperS at the moment, so since my knowledge is a bit incomplete... What's the appeal of this exact combination?
...Is it just that Future Trunks is attractive? In which case the writers would be self-inserting as one of the Sailor Moon characters, maybe to the point where it's narrated in first person... I don't know, I don't think I want to do research on this.
Usually has to do with Trunks being royalty through Vegeta. And they often use their own headcanons and make it an alternate universe. The few times I actually delved into them out of boredom, the characters really didn't have anything in common with the real thing. Just the name and looks. Sometimes. I've long since learned to keep it "T" rated when going through DB/Z/Super fanfics.
Well that's shallow. I can't say I'm very surprised, though. And I have to agree with that age rating choice, at least for the most part. I'm sure there's some Dragon Ball fan stories that are worth reading and have mature ratings, but for the most part.
Oh, probably. I've just gotten to the point where I filter out most things above T in general. The only exception being for things like Halo crossovers. But that's an entirely different subject.

I have come across an interesting crossover with Super Broly being wished, instead of to Vampa, the DCAU of the 90s and early 2000s. Power scaling, well, it was never the most important thing to me (within a certain reason). But it's not bad. And Dragon Ball DC has kicked back up again recently too. My story... Well, writer's block has gotten to the point I can't even do a one shot for an entirely different story. Sad thing is, I still know a number of the plot points I wanted to do. Its just filling in everything that's the issue for it. :thumbdown:

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 am

Speaking of crossovers, is anyone familiar with Fate/stay night? I know nothing about it, but crossovers featuring that series are insanely popular on FFN.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 am
Speaking of crossovers, is anyone familiar with Fate/stay night? I know nothing about it, but crossovers featuring that series are insanely popular on FFN.
Vaguely, at best. But yeah, I've noticed there's a lot of them too.

Post Reply