Dragon Ball Super: KAI [Fan Project]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Super: KAI [Fan Project]

Post by thegamer23 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi guys, how are you doing? :D

Tonight i would like to present you my latest project wich is set to be underway very soon, with its first chapter. I premise with saying that i really appriciate Dragon Ball Super, expecially since Future Trunks came back, as there was a nice tonal shift.
But there are rooms for improvement: very often, good moments are interrupted by useless fillers or dialogues, wich really bothers me. Also, i don't like at all the colour palette used by the serie, and some of the audio effects expecially during the fighting scenes wich lacks "Impact".
Also, i noticed the total lack of of blood during the fighting, wich made me miss Z a lot.

So i've decided to accept a challenge: trying to improve Dragon Ball Super by smoothing out its viewing experience. I use the Blu Ray version to start with.

That's the list of changes i'm going to make.

Fillers

Dragon Ball Supper is FILLED with fillers, so i'll try to make the viewing experience smoother by eliminating useless scenes (Who said Goten & Trunks fighting with a giant snake?), or doing a different montage take of some. Expecially during the fights, i'll stay on the battle as much as possible, skipping those useless parts.

Colour Palette

Let's face it. Dragon Ball Super's original colour palette is has some issues. It's too bright, and the main problem is that the light shading on carachters faces are too heavy.
Can't solve the shading, but i can tweak the colour palette a little bit!

I still have some doubts about the right parameters to use. I would love to have some opinions about it, in order to find the perfect balance!

Example 1 (above is standard super, below is current modification)

Example 3

Blood/Visible damage

I'll than add in some key frames a number of battle scars, some blood in stabbing scenes as well in order to give a slightly more realistic feel to it.

Audio effects

Always found the lack of great battle effects in Super quite disturbing! They are ok-ish, but they don't give a proper feel of the impacts. So i'll try to improve that aspect, by adding some key Z sounds effects. Not in a huge way, just in the key points of the fights.

Well, that's it! :D
Hopefully later this week i'll upload the first episode of the Serie, wich covers basically the first 3 episodes of the Anime.

Still have some doubts about to where upload it. I fear that it might be taken down on my YouTube Channel, so i may link it trought my website. We'll see!

Good night all! :D
Last edited by thegamer23 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: KAI [Fan Project]

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:46 pm

God fucking speed chief!

When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:58 pm

I'll only comment on your suggested color palette since that is what I have the most experience with. I don't mean to be rude or dismissive, but your corrections actually make the color palette look worse. The amount of saturation in Super even without your corrections is too high. Your correction frankly amplifies this problem. Goku's skin tone is WAY too yellow and saturated in the shot you posted. Also I wouldn't fiddle too much with the levels. Darkening the image crushes the blacks, meaning you are losing detail in the darker sections, i.e. the second and fourth picture you posted. I have a feeling that you're shooting for the color palette of the Orange Bricks when you should be aiming for a palette similar to what Kai had. If you want to improve Super's color palette, I would suggest something more like this.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
If you're a little more subtle with your corrections you can mellow out the skin tones or anything else to make them look more appealing. Regardless, best of luck on your project!

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:38 am

Hey no problem man!
I wanted feedbacks about the colour palette as i can't find the right balance yet. I'm going to post some comparisons later on.

Edit:

Looks like this with the latest changes

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Cool project, especially the part with sound effects and blood, but why do you have to touch the colors at all? Also, I'm not sure what I think of you removing "fillers"... I've quite liked most of it so far.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:45 pm

thegamer23 wrote:Hey no problem man!
I wanted feedbacks about the colour palette as i can't find the right balance yet. I'm going to post some comparisons later on.

Edit:

Looks like this with the latest changes

This definitely looks good, I suggest you to edit the OP!

I like this project, but please keep in mind that not every "fillerish" part needs to be removed, as some of it is also quite good. I think most of Pilaf scenes though can easily go.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Yep, i will not cut all the filler. Just the very useless parts!

Tomorrow evening i'll release the first episode! :D

Still has some doubts on where to upload tho. :crazy:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:26 am

thegamer23 wrote:Yep, i will not cut all the filler. Just the very useless parts!

Define "useless". You see, that's very subjective.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 am

sangofe wrote:
thegamer23 wrote:Yep, i will not cut all the filler. Just the very useless parts!

Define "useless". You see, that's very subjective.
Well he's probably doing this edits mostly for his enjoyment, so it's obviously going to be subjective.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 am

Really approve of this idea, arc 1,2, & FT Arc had dragging issues (even in fights like both Goku vs Beerus fights) while 3 only really has episode 30 as the episode that drags at all. I don't know how to feel about the visual changes, if its not hard I would suggest making two versions 1) with visuals changed 2) visuals changed. For watching the episodes, You could resort to certain download sites to download episodes in bulk. That being said good luck on this project!
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi guys, as promised here it is the first episode of the (hopefully) Serie! :D

Dragon Ball Super Kai, Episode 01: "Where's the rest of my Dream? Find the Super Sayan God!"

25 minutes lenght, it covers basically the first two episodes + half of episode 3.

I've edited out:

- Obviously, the montage. I've adapted it for a good flow, some bits are different from the serie, for example Beerus remembering the Super Sayan God's vision is placed in a different manner.
- Overall Colour Palette, a lot less saturated and with a slightly different tone
- Some subtle audio edits. Classic Super Sayan transformation sound with Goku at the beginning, punches sound from Dragon Ball Z during the scene of Beerus vs that Creature
- Subtle video effect. Impact light at Goku's Super Sayan's transformation

Not too much else in this first episode!

I'll upload the HD Version in the next days on Mega, the one you see on Youtube (TILL IT LAST! HURRY) :lol: it's SD. Not great quality at all.

Every feedback is welcomed, enjoy! :D

WATCH THE EPISODE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd1wnYx6sb4
Last edited by thegamer23 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:13 pm

I don't know how long this'll last on YT but I'm downloading it while I can :P

I'll give you some feedback once I finish it!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:36 pm

The Beerus scenes are awfully recolored. Otherwise, good editing! The latter portions of the arc deserve this trimming down more, so I can't wait to see how you tackle that. The pacing was a little rushed in this episode. Combining the Goku and Vegeta stories was a good idea, but already having Goku on Kaio's planet was a bit much.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 am

Props for using good subs and not fucking up the timing :D

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:52 am

Draconic wrote:The Beerus scenes are awfully recolored. Otherwise, good editing! The latter portions of the arc deserve this trimming down more, so I can't wait to see how you tackle that. The pacing was a little rushed in this episode. Combining the Goku and Vegeta stories was a good idea, but already having Goku on Kaio's planet was a bit much.
The colour adjustement setting is identical for all the episode, so maybe it's the wrong balance.

I'll have to look into it.

Edit: You can find it in my website as well
http://oznerol93.wixsite.com/lucidiyoutubechannel

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:48 am

thegamer23 wrote:
Draconic wrote:The Beerus scenes are awfully recolored. Otherwise, good editing! The latter portions of the arc deserve this trimming down more, so I can't wait to see how you tackle that. The pacing was a little rushed in this episode. Combining the Goku and Vegeta stories was a good idea, but already having Goku on Kaio's planet was a bit much.
The colour adjustement setting is identical for all the episode, so maybe it's the wrong balance.

I'll have to look into it.

Edit: You can find it in my website as well
http://oznerol93.wixsite.com/lucidiyoutubechannel
I honestly wish you didn't re colour... Can you make two versions? One original colors and the other re coloured? 2

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am

Hi I'm interested in watching the first episode of this edit, where can I find it?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”