Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters [PILAF DONE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Hey guys, the other day I had an idea that I wanted to fly by you... should I have a crack at inserting Over the Star into the final episode of the Pilaf arc, when Bulma and Yamcha are acting lovingly together? Would be a neat tie-in to the real DBZ Kai, but I would be inserting an incredibly modern song into an episode from 1986...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Progress update! Over the weekend I did one of the all-time wish-list edits that took me three attempts to actually pull off: I was able to combine Episodes 2 and 3, where Bulma and Goku stop for the night, then pick up Turtle in the morning, and in the next episode drop him off and acquire the Flying Nimbus from Master Roshi. Final runtime is 27 minutes and 57 seconds! I always felt like these two episodes had way too little going on to justify being in two episodes, a problem only exasperated by the removal of the Pilaf filler, so it's great to finally have them together in a more concise episode. It also feels more natural to have "Goku pulls off Bulma's underwear" and the repercussions of such happen in the same episode so that the joke works better.

Currently I'm up to the episode where the Dragon Ball gang first come upon Fire Mountain. I'm considering attempting to combine it with the one after it where Roshi fires the Kamehameha Wave, but we'll see if that will actually work out!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:46 am

Hey, I was wondering if you could help me pinpoint some footage if you can help me. I'm trying to find the episodes for the source of the footage where there's a fading shot of Goku from when he's a kid to after he lost his tail, to an adult. Is this from DB, or DBZ & if it is from DB, could you get me that footage? I don't have any from later Dragon Ball that's from the Dragon Boxes. I'm trying to find it because I'm trying to reconstruct the recap at the beginning of Kai: The Final Chapters. If you can be of any help with this, that'd be great.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:47 am

Scsigs wrote:Hey, I was wondering if you could help me pinpoint some footage if you can help me. I'm trying to find the episodes for the source of the footage where there's a fading shot of Goku from when he's a kid to after he lost his tail, to an adult. Is this from DB, or DBZ & if it is from DB, could you get me that footage? I don't have any from later Dragon Ball that's from the Dragon Boxes. I'm trying to find it because I'm trying to reconstruct the recap at the beginning of Kai: The Final Chapters. If you can be of any help with this, that'd be great.
Ah! You mean the one that cross-fades from Blue Kid Goku, Orange Kid Goku and then Teenage Goku? I believe that's from the end of the Bardock special.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Hey, I was wondering if you could help me pinpoint some footage if you can help me. I'm trying to find the episodes for the source of the footage where there's a fading shot of Goku from when he's a kid to after he lost his tail, to an adult. Is this from DB, or DBZ & if it is from DB, could you get me that footage? I don't have any from later Dragon Ball that's from the Dragon Boxes. I'm trying to find it because I'm trying to reconstruct the recap at the beginning of Kai: The Final Chapters. If you can be of any help with this, that'd be great.
Ah! You mean the one that cross-fades from Blue Kid Goku, Orange Kid Goku and then Teenage Goku? I believe that's from the end of the Bardock special.
Ah. There's also a shot of the dragon balls, which I think is from Dragon Ball, before they show Shenron. Do you know where that's from?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Scsigs wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Ah. There's also a shot of the dragon balls, which I think is from Dragon Ball, before they show Shenron. Do you know where that's from?
Yeah, that would be the Dragon Balls rising up into the air after Oolong steals Pilaf's wish. Since I like these kinds of lists, I decided to try and figure out where all the shots came from myself!

[spoiler]
  • Everything from Planet Vegeta to Gohan holding baby Goku aloft: Bardock Special
  • Kid Goku swinging through the trees, shot of Bulma: Ep1
  • Dragon Balls rising into the air, Shenron, Shenron descending above Pilaf: Ep12
  • Goku & Bulma on Bike: Ep1
  • Goku, Krillin & Roshi running from dinosaur: Ep18
  • Shot of WMAT gate: Ep19 or 20
  • Goku vs Tien shots: Ep101
  • King Piccolo w. Lightning: sometime in Eps 119-122
  • Korin: Ep114 (just after Yajirobe falls into the pot)
  • Goku drinking the Ultra-Divine Water (combined shots): Ep116
  • Goku defeats King Piccolo, Jr. is born: Ep122
  • Tournament gates again: Probably Ep133 or 134
  • Piccolo taking off robes in front of Goku (ew): Likely Ep143
  • Piccolo defeated: Ep148
  • Goku and Chi-Chi's wedding: Ep153
[/spoiler]

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Ah! You mean the one that cross-fades from Blue Kid Goku, Orange Kid Goku and then Teenage Goku? I believe that's from the end of the Bardock special.
Yeah, that would be the Dragon Balls rising up into the air after Oolong steals Pilaf's wish. Since I like these kinds of lists, I decided to try and figure out where all the shots came from myself!

[spoiler]
  • Everything from Planet Vegeta to Gohan holding baby Goku aloft: Bardock Special
  • Kid Goku swinging through the trees, shot of Bulma: Ep1
  • Dragon Balls rising into the air, Shenron, Shenron descending above Pilaf: Ep12
  • Goku & Bulma on Bike: Ep1
  • Goku, Krillin & Roshi running from dinosaur: Ep18
  • Shot of WMAT gate: Ep19 or 20
  • Goku vs Tien shots: Ep101
  • King Piccolo w. Lightning: sometime in Eps 119-122
  • Korin: Ep114 (just after Yajirobe falls into the pot)
  • Goku drinking the Ultra-Divine Water (combined shots): Ep116
  • Goku defeats King Piccolo, Jr. is born: Ep122
  • Tournament gates again: Probably Ep133 or 134
  • Piccolo taking off robes in front of Goku (ew): Likely Ep143
  • Piccolo defeated: Ep148
  • Goku and Chi-Chi's wedding: Ep153
[/spoiler]
Cool. Though, I'd need everything from episode 83 on to reproduce the recap at the end of Episode 1 of Z Kai, as I found uploads of everything from before that & the movies, but for some reason, the person who uploaded those either hasn't uploaded the rest, or they got taken down.
Also, I have no idea where the shot of Jeice jumping & flying off a rock on Namek is from. It's the one shot I haven't been able to locate from my browsing the wiki quickly to write down the Z episode numbers.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:Cool. Though, I'd need everything from episode 83 on to reproduce the recap at the end of Episode 1 of Z Kai, as I found uploads of everything from before that & the movies, but for some reason, the person who uploaded those either hasn't uploaded the rest, or they got taken down.
Also, I have no idea where the shot of Jeice jumping & flying off a rock on Namek is from. It's the one shot I haven't been able to locate from my browsing the wiki quickly to write down the Z episode numbers.
Hm, interesting. I am not familiar with that shot, and I've seen the Ginyu Force episodes several times in Kai. I'm unfamiliar with Z, so it's entirely possible that it wasn't even in Kai, but they threw it in there for The Final Chapters. It's likely one of the artifacts of TFC being a different production from Kai, kinda like how that one demon guy mentions Goku falling down to Hell that one time, even though they TOTALLY CUT THAT IN KAI, AUGH!

Anyway, Jeice only fights in episodes 31 and 34 of Kai. What's strange is that the Ginyu Force do not appear in Ep87 of the original Z; Jeice only fights in Episodes 63, 67, probably 68 as well, and then again in the Kai world filler content of episodes 92 and 93. Ep87 is when Goku and Frieza begin fighting.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 am

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Cool. Though, I'd need everything from episode 83 on to reproduce the recap at the end of Episode 1 of Z Kai, as I found uploads of everything from before that & the movies, but for some reason, the person who uploaded those either hasn't uploaded the rest, or they got taken down.
Hm, interesting. I am not familiar with that shot, and I've seen the Ginyu Force episodes several times in Kai. I'm unfamiliar with Z, so it's entirely possible that it wasn't even in Kai, but they threw it in there for The Final Chapters. It's likely one of the artifacts of TFC being a different production from Kai, kinda like how that one demon guy mentions Goku falling down to Hell that one time, even though they TOTALLY CUT THAT IN KAI, AUGH!

Anyway, Jeice only fights in episodes 31 and 34 of Kai. What's strange is that the Ginyu Force do not appear in Ep87 of the original Z; Jeice only fights in Episodes 63, 67, probably 68 as well, and then again in the Kai world filler content of episodes 92 and 93. Ep87 is when Goku and Frieza begin fighting.
It is certainly strange that they didn't cut the Hell scenes, which is what I intend to excise in my Dragon Box Cut for the series, since it not only breaks the continuity of earlier Kai episodes, but also of Super/Resurrection F, altogether. The shot probably wasn't in Kai, which is frankly strange given that the recap is made up of almost exclusively Kai footage (the DB Wiki states that it doesn't have remastered footage outside of a shot during Gohan's fight with Cell, but anyone can tell that that's a blatant lie). Maybe they wanted something cool & went back to the Z footage to find a few-second clip of Jeice to include for some reason. Who knows?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am

Scsigs wrote:It is certainly strange that they didn't cut the Hell scenes, which is what I intend to excise in my Dragon Box Cut for the series, since it not only breaks the continuity of earlier Kai episodes, but also of Super/Resurrection F, altogether. The shot probably wasn't in Kai, which is frankly strange given that the recap is made up of almost exclusively Kai footage (the DB Wiki states that it doesn't have remastered footage outside of a shot during Gohan's fight with Cell, but anyone can tell that that's a blatant lie). Maybe they wanted something cool & went back to the Z footage to find a few-second clip of Jeice to include for some reason. Who knows?
To give the wiki a bone, they probably mean the only redone shot in The First Chapters is one of Gohan vs Perfect Cell that was reused for the recap.

Since I'm in the mood, I think I might make a quick Dragon Ball vs DBZ Kai comparison to directly compare how the Dragon Ball shots look in Kai compared to the Dragon Box. It's really remarkable actually since a fair amount comes from the very first episode in 1986, and yet it still looks up to part and arguably better than the Dragon Box.

EDIT: I found the shot you're looking for! I looked up the recap on YouTube and then went to where I thought it was in Kai. It's in Episode 31, in the Dub called "Goku Arrives At Last! Take Down The Ginyu Force!". In Z it corresponds to Episode 67, in Japan called "Lightning Balls of Red and Blue! Jheese and Butta Attack Goku". The shot specifically is after Jeice and Burter do their little Ginyu thing and then blast off to confront Goku (who then punches Jeice in the middle of his speech).

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:58 am

Hey man, just discovered your project here, and it sounds like it's right up my alley! I've recently started a rewatch of the dub, and halfway through the 21st Budokai, I'm struggling to maintain my interest, which I think is mostly down to pacing. I think I was spoiled by Kai's pacing, cause I can't go back to vanilla Z anymore, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Anyway, just wanted to drop by and wish you luck on the project! Oh, and since it doesn't look like anyone weighed in on inserting Over the Star in the Pilaf arc, I'll toss my vote out that I wouldn't mind it being put in.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:18 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:Hey man, just discovered your project here, and it sounds like it's right up my alley! I've recently started a rewatch of the dub, and halfway through the 21st Budokai, I'm struggling to maintain my interest, which I think is mostly down to pacing. I think I was spoiled by Kai's pacing, cause I can't go back to vanilla Z anymore, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Anyway, just wanted to drop by and wish you luck on the project! Oh, and since it doesn't look like anyone weighed in on inserting Over the Star in the Pilaf arc, I'll toss my vote out that I wouldn't mind it being put in.
Thanks so much! It probably won't be out for a while, so I suggest in the meantime you watch IAmTheMilkMan's Dragon Ball Recut, which has been finished for a few years now and has many of the same edits as T1C does.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Hey guys! I've just finished editing the Pilaf arc! I'm quite proud of it! I've also decided to upload clips of some of my edits to show how it's different from the original dub, and the utilization of the Dragon Box footage. The clip I've uploaded this morning is of the insertion of the Path to Power footage for Bulma expositing the Dragon Balls, replacing the original one of the Pilaf Gang in the abandoned castle. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFOMq3Z ... 6y6O-FEjeb

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 am

I decided to make a playlist on YouTube of breakout clips showing some of the edits that I've made! You can find it in the link below, it covers the Pilaf Arc stuff, as well as the re-insertion of the Son Goku Song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFOMq3Z ... 6y6O-FEjeb

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters [PILAF DONE!]

Post by Shaddy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 pm

This is some good shit right here. I'm currently further ahead in my rewatch with my dad and my sister (using IAmTheMilkMan's recut, thanks for directing me to it), at the very beginning of the Piccolo arc. But with the way your cut is branding itself like Kai, and the fact that I think Kai is way better than Z, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Shaddy wrote:This is some good shit right here. I'm currently further ahead in my rewatch with my dad and my sister (using IAmTheMilkMan's recut, thanks for directing me to it), at the very beginning of the Piccolo arc. But with the way your cut is branding itself like Kai, and the fact that I think Kai is way better than Z, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this.
Would you be interested in me putting up the eyecatches and credits I made as well?

nopascal

Post by nopascal » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Really looking forward to this project's completion. How far are you into reviewing each of the episodes?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:49 am

This concept is so awesome that the mega-fan in me wants to custom design some Blu-ray or DVD covers and transfer your work onto the discs to place alongside my entire Z Kai collection. If this is actually completed, it'd be nice to be able to do that. Still, how would you feel if Toei suddenly announced something like this is in the works (I highly doubt it)? Or that they were reanimating the OG Dragon Ball series? Just curious. Only downside to this is no redub to fit Monica Rial's Bulma, but other than that - It's cool.

CSurge

Post by CSurge » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 am

Hey, bro. Really interested in what you got going on!

Not sure if this was already asked and I didn't really want to go through all the responses but:
Have you considered tampering with the visuals of the Dragon Ball Footage similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai (Saiyan to Cell Saga)?
One of the things Kai made up for not producing new animation for the series was altering the colors of the
show, giving it a new, brighter appearance compared to the original.

I feel like it would be a unique idea to execute and I believe that's one of the things that the 'Dragon Ball Recut' project
has not done.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm

nopascal wrote:Really looking forward to this project's completion. How far are you into reviewing each of the episodes?
Well I've completed the original "Blue Brick" pass, and with the Dragon Box pass I've gotten up to Goku vs. Jackie. However some footage interpretation issues have prevented me from going further and I've no idea how to solve it. Plus I've been rather distracted thanks to work and various video game, but I do intend to get back to this.
mecha3000 wrote:This concept is so awesome that the mega-fan in me wants to custom design some Blu-ray or DVD covers and transfer your work onto the discs to place alongside my entire Z Kai collection. If this is actually completed, it'd be nice to be able to do that. Still, how would you feel if Toei suddenly announced something like this is in the works (I highly doubt it)? Or that they were reanimating the OG Dragon Ball series? Just curious. Only downside to this is no redub to fit Monica Rial's Bulma, but other than that - It's cool.
That's actually something I've considered doing myself if I ever finish, having something similar to the Z Kai season sets! I have a large folder filled with a bunch of various key arts across the ages that could help. The Japanese Singles have some great artwork on them, but I've no idea how to grab those.

As for if a real DB-Kai ever shows up, I'm not sure how I'd react. The main reason why I'm doing it myself is that A) It doesn't exist yet and it really ought to, and B) if it WERE to happen and Funimation were to dub it, they'd almost certainly use Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku. IMO she is not the voice of that character, she's the voice of Kid Gohan, and it's always supremely weird to me when she does the odd voice clip in Z Kai. It's a personal thing, because I have a similar issue when I hear Nadolny voice Kid Gohan in the GT dub. It just feels... wrong.

If Dragon Ball were to be re-animated, I wouldn't fret about it at all because it'd basically be a new show. I might consider using some dialogue from it in TFC, particularly if some more accurate lines showed up for some of the more obvious changes, but other than that I'd not be concerned at all.
CSurge wrote:Hey, bro. Really interested in what you got going on!

Not sure if this was already asked and I didn't really want to go through all the responses but:
Have you considered tampering with the visuals of the Dragon Ball Footage similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai (Saiyan to Cell Saga)?
One of the things Kai made up for not producing new animation for the series was altering the colors of the
show, giving it a new, brighter appearance compared to the original.

I feel like it would be a unique idea to execute and I believe that's one of the things that the 'Dragon Ball Recut' project
has not done.
I haven't really considered doing that, primarily because it's outside the scope of what I wanted to do. I don't have any grading skills or experience, and it's A LOT of footage to have to go through.