[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Yeah I noticed that too, the jump between old frames and reanimated frames is so jarring it makes me wish they just stuck with the original, but this is just awful laziness on the part of Toei.
I understand the intent behind it. When cutting out a lot of content, there will be a lot of leftover evidence present in the non-filler material that you'd have to work with. For example, the Roshi bandage I mentioned earlier is a leftover from the filler scene, and had to be dealt with. It would have impacted Buu Kai somewhat as that didn't use any reanimated footage.

Still, as cute as the idea was, the realities of modern anime production meant that they couldn't afford the time or money to make it look close to the original content.
Diccolo-420 wrote:I'm not entirely sure that would work in what I wanted to do. What I had in mind was the first episode focus entirely on gohan, first half with his encounter with the robot and then the second half with the injured dinosaur. These two interactions in particular were key in getting Gohan out of his baby mode and able to survive on his own. In these, I feel that dialogue is crucial, especially in the interactions. So, I don't really mind having the different voice actors. The other two would involve the z-fighters being gathered to go to Kami and then Gohan escaping the wasteland, meeting the orphans, and nearly making it back home to his mom only to realize he needs to go back and train. This is another key moment in his development, which I felt that Toei should have kept, but oh well.
I would almost switch the dinosaur and robot halves around, so that Gohan is still emotionally capable of making friends despite his recent loss. Two other things I'd do is A) Remove the bits that reveal the wasteland to be on an island (that never made sense to me) and keep some of Piccolo's double training, since that was a Toriyama idea.
Diccolo-420 wrote:You could ask the guy behind buu-kai manga-cut to provide a musicless rendition of the episodes and you two could collaborate on that, that would probably be your best bet since he's nearly done.
Good idea!

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:09 pm

KBABZ wrote: I would almost switch the dinosaur and robot halves around, so that Gohan is still emotionally capable of making friends despite his recent loss. Two other things I'd do is A) Remove the bits that reveal the wasteland to be on an island (that never made sense to me) and keep some of Piccolo's double training, since that was a Toriyama idea.
Ehh, I think the placement of the dinosaur and robot halves make sense because by the time Gohan deals with the Dino he's already got some toughness and resolve, where in his encounter with the robot he has virtually none until he's forced to get the hell out of dodge, but that's semantics. I totally agree about the island part, I have no idea why Toei decided to do that, it will be a bit tricky but I figure I could just cut it to where Gohan arrives at the beach and immediately he starts building a boat. I'm entirely sure about Piccolo's double training, because my idea was Piccolo wouldn't even appear again after the gohan great ape transformation until Gohan decides to return to the wasteland to continue training, because it adds both the suspense of whether Piccolo is truly keeping an eye on him and it adds a storytelling niche where we somewhat forget about the Saiyans and root for Gohan to get home (I know that seems contradictory to the plot, but I think as a side-plot it makes perfect sense in gohan's maturity).

But these are all musings for another project that may or may not be done wayyyy down the line.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Ehh, I think the placement of the dinosaur and robot halves make sense because by the time Gohan deals with the Dino he's already got some toughness and resolve, where in his encounter with the robot he has virtually none until he's forced to get the hell out of dodge, but that's semantics.
Well you'd know better than I do, the last time I saw those episodes was fifteen years ago!
Diccolo-420 wrote:I totally agree about the island part, I have no idea why Toei decided to do that, it will be a bit tricky but I figure I could just cut it to where Gohan arrives at the beach and immediately he starts building a boat.
Yeah, you could just cut from before the first shot with an ocean in it to the just after the first shot that doesn't have an ocean or beach in it.
Diccolo-420 wrote:I'm entirely sure about Piccolo's double training, because my idea was Piccolo wouldn't even appear again after the gohan great ape transformation until Gohan decides to return to the wasteland to continue training, because it adds both the suspense of whether Piccolo is truly keeping an eye on him and it adds a storytelling niche where we somewhat forget about the Saiyans and root for Gohan to get home (I know that seems contradictory to the plot, but I think as a side-plot it makes perfect sense in gohan's maturity).
I also agree actually on the Piccolo thing; maybe one solution would be to have it appear incredibly early in the first episode just to get it over with and hasten the audience forgetting about him?

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Ehh, I think the placement of the dinosaur and robot halves make sense because by the time Gohan deals with the Dino he's already got some toughness and resolve, where in his encounter with the robot he has virtually none until he's forced to get the hell out of dodge, but that's semantics.
Well you'd know better than I do, the last time I saw those episodes was fifteen years ago!
Diccolo-420 wrote:I totally agree about the island part, I have no idea why Toei decided to do that, it will be a bit tricky but I figure I could just cut it to where Gohan arrives at the beach and immediately he starts building a boat.
Yeah, you could just cut from before the first shot with an ocean in it to the just after the first shot that doesn't have an ocean or beach in it.
Diccolo-420 wrote:I'm entirely sure about Piccolo's double training, because my idea was Piccolo wouldn't even appear again after the gohan great ape transformation until Gohan decides to return to the wasteland to continue training, because it adds both the suspense of whether Piccolo is truly keeping an eye on him and it adds a storytelling niche where we somewhat forget about the Saiyans and root for Gohan to get home (I know that seems contradictory to the plot, but I think as a side-plot it makes perfect sense in gohan's maturity).
I also agree actually on the Piccolo thing; maybe one solution would be to have it appear incredibly early in the first episode just to get it over with and hasten the audience forgetting about him?
I was thinking the same thing in terms of the shots to getting rid of the "island"

As for Piccolo, we'll see how it turns out if I do end up doing it. As it stands I'm already pretty burned out and need a break for DBZ for a bit after working on this thing for 7 damn months.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Ok, I've made my decision. I've managed to get audacity to export to AC3 @ 640 kbps and FLAC. From here on out I will be providing both sets of files, you'll also see me do such with the other 113 episodes. It's going to take a bit more time, especially since now I have access to higher quality tracks than mp3s, but I think it will be worth it.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Might have gotten a bit overzealous there. Apparently the difference between 640 and 256 is marginal for Ac3, but I think 320 will be the best bet for now.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:38 am

Merry Christmas everyone! the Babidi and Buu saga has been updated, now with both AC3 2.0 @ 320 kbps and FLAC lossless audio! I have them in separate folders now so if you click the link it will give you the option of either ac3 or flac

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2629
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 am

So is there any way to get this new Team Faulconer audio onto my physical DVD's? Because I've been watching Dragon Ball Z Kai with my father (who has never seen it before), and we've both been loving it...but I wanted him to show him the music I always loved when I get the Final Chapters.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:39 am

Fionordequester wrote:So is there any way to get this new Team Faulconer audio onto my physical DVD's? Because I've been watching Dragon Ball Z Kai with my father (who has never seen it before), and we've both been loving it...but I wanted him to show him the music I always loved when I get the Final Chapters.
I'm only guessing but it's possible to simply find a muxer that will mux the ac3 files into the DVD video files and that should do it, but I'm not certain. I worked with the blu-rays and I'm only familiar with ripping and converting to MKVs.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Something I'm trying to keep an eye out for is when music is overshadowing or drowning out dialogue. I had someone point it happening during episode 121, and now I'm starting to make a shift so that doesn't happen. (I just updated 121 btw)

So if anyone has any spots where the music is noticeably drowning out dialogue please tell me which episode and the time instance it is doing so, it may sound differently for you than me since I'm using a headset to do these edits.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 am

Just finished the Evil Buu Saga, AC3 2.0 @ 320 kbps are up and FLAC is uploading right now. I made several adjustments to certain tracks, such as not having "Buu is fighting" play until Kid Buu shows in, because its chaotic nature just rhymes with him perfectly and having it appear when he does makes it that more impactful.

I can safely say I am content with the track placement in this now, there may be one or two tracks I might shift around but as of right now I'm ready to consider this as done. All that's left is to finish uploading the other sagas in FLAC and I'll call it. If you only care about the AC3s then this is the final product for all intents and purposes barring some volume tweaks I do in the future.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:20 am

Nice work, glad to see you've finished! : D

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 am

KBABZ wrote:Nice work, glad to see you've finished! : D
God I am too, I did end up making a couple track shifts for episodes 2 and 3, but I think that was something I was planning anyway on another run through of the episodes. The hardest part of this, which was track placement and trying to edit out those annoying pops the funi dub has, is pretty much taken care of.

I'm re-upping the AC3s for those sagas in 320 kbps, though I dunno if that will make much of a difference for people than 256 kbps

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Alright everyone, last night I decided to make the call that I'm finally uploading all files into AC3/FLAC format and calling this baby done. I was gonna go through and do one last set of edits to the entire thing but I had to stop myself because at this point the edits are so trivial and I'll never end up calling this thing done if I don't. At the very least I'm going to take a month before I come back to this and maybe do another check, because I need a break before I burn myself out LOL

As of this moment, all of the sagas are currently available for AC3 2.0 @320 kbps, All but the Saiyan Saga are now available in FLAC, but that will be up shortly since I had to get around the storage limit MEGA has.

I did end up making some changes to the Saiyan Saga, almost every episode had a track or two changed around, but major moments are mostly the same.

So ladies and gentlemen, the Bruce Faulconer Edition of DBZ Kai is now officially complete. I am actually very satisfied with how it turned out. Please enjoy! If there are any issues and suggestions I'll still be taking those and if adjustments need to be made I shall do them should there be instances such as the music overplaying the dialogue. If there are cases like that, please let me know which episode and what time instance. However, keep in mind that some scenes are meant to have the music drown out the dialogue somewhat, (such as the Buu Human Exinction Attack).

Thank you all for your support, Enjoy!

P.S. Apparently I was a bit drunk and exhausted last night as I was so eager I accidentally put the Babidi & Buu saga episodes in the place of the Peaceful world Episodes. Fixing that now, and that fixes my issue with space.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Ok, finally got the last one uploaded FLACs are all up and every saga is the way it should be. Ended up just under the MEGA free limit :D

Go get em guys

imthemotion
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by imthemotion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm

This is the best thing to happen to DBZ in years. With this project, I honestly think you've created the best way to watch the series. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Check out this facebook group, uploading all of the episodes here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1937937 ... 7/?fref=nf

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

imthemotion wrote:This is the best thing to happen to DBZ in years. With this project, I honestly think you've created the best way to watch the series. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Check out this facebook group, uploading all of the episodes here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1937937 ... 7/?fref=nf
That's cool, though I'd advise caution. If it's public that could get taken down very quickly and you could get in trouble. It's partly why I don't upload the episodes themselves.

Glad you like it!

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

I know this is probably the most contentious score, especially around here, but I love the amount of passion in this project, there's a lot there to make the music that is so important to so many US fans actually work. It's pretty cool!

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:I know this is probably the most contentious score, especially around here, but I love the amount of passion in this project, there's a lot there to make the music that is so important to so many US fans actually work. It's pretty cool!
Thanks man, now it's your turn. I'll be looking forward to that kikuchi rescore of Kai someday.

Pogosaur
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Pogosaur » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi, I made an account just to post this.

Thank you so much for all the work you put on this, it's truly amazing. I watched the Faulconer version as a kid and when I started rewatching Kai before starting Super I really hated not having the old music. Then I found this and man, am I glad I did. You're really awesome for doing this! Thank you so much :D

Post Reply