Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Blu-Ray sync

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dagos

Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Blu-Ray sync

Post by Dagos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Just coming back to update this post. I deleted my previous work on this way back when as I thought it was poorly synced up and would sometimes go out of sync at random points. I plan on picking this project back up and syncing it correctly and archiving the dub. However the dub is essentially lost at the moment (my backups are completely gone as this was years ago and I had it saved on a failing hard drive which I can't seem to find), if anyone has the dub on their hard drive please send it to me or archive it somewhere, this dub is really important to Dragon Ball history and I want to give it justice and make it easily available for people to watch. Thank you all for reading this.

UPDATE: Found the first 5 episodes, good news is they were synced to the hd episodes, seems he only did 5 though.
Last edited by Dagos on Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:32 am, edited 10 times in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Blu-Ray sync

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 am

Dagos wrote:Any gap (deleted scenes) in this dub has the FUNi dub filling it in, so it's somewhat uncut.
Not to rain on your parade, but I've always hated this approach of filling in missing scenes from cut dubs. It really never works; I always get the sense I'd be better off just watching an edited video that was edited to remove these pieces. Still, I suppose some people don't mind this as much as I do, so thanks for putting this together.
Dagos wrote:I'll also be working on the DBZ Westwood dub if anybody is interested.
I'd just like to point out that, as much as I'd love to see something like this up and running, this is totally impossible.
The Westwood dub has a ton of shots cut for time reasons(For example, in the original, you might see a panning shot of a battlefield, a shot of Goku panting, then a shot of Cell panting, then it cuts to Goku thinking about something. In the Westwood dub, it'd be the panning shot of the battlefield, then it'd cut to Goku thinking about something). They're basically always minor shots, so you'd never notice this during normal viewing, but due to things like the way the score is placed, the removed shots can't be re-inserted without destroying the audio sync -- if you filled in those shots with anything at all(Even silence), the backing music would sound screwy, and it would be highly off-putting.

Only way to get a Westwood dub sync is to cut these shots, which means you either have to get an MKV ordered chapters thing going, or just make a specific video encode that's deliberately missing these shots, which exists solely for the Westwood dub(And possibly any dubs that were derived from the Westwood dub, though I don't think there were any). If you want to do something with the Westwood dub, doing the latter using Dragon Box footage is probably your best bet.

But really, you'd be better off trying this for Blue Water's GT dub; the only cuts made in that entire dub were about two shots in episode 8, though Toonami UK airings also trimmed the ending of episode 64. Since Blue Water GT uses the original Japanese score, some sort of edit can probably reinsert the missing pieces from episode 8, and presumably a Canadian rip of episode 64 should either be out there somewhere, or turn up sometime.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dagos

Post by Dagos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dagos wrote:Any gap (deleted scenes) in this dub has the FUNi dub filling it in, so it's somewhat uncut.
Not to rain on your parade, but I've always hated this approach of filling in missing scenes from cut dubs. It really never works; I always get the sense I'd be better off just watching an edited video that was edited to remove these pieces. Still, I suppose some people don't mind this as much as I do, so thanks for putting this together.
Dagos wrote:I'll also be working on the DBZ Westwood dub if anybody is interested.
I'd just like to point out that, as much as I'd love to see something like this up and running, this is totally impossible.
The Westwood dub has a ton of shots cut for time reasons(For example, in the original, you might see a panning shot of a battlefield, a shot of Goku panting, then a shot of Cell panting, then it cuts to Goku thinking about something. In the Westwood dub, it'd be the panning shot of the battlefield, then it'd cut to Goku thinking about something). They're basically always minor shots, so you'd never notice this during normal viewing, but due to things like the way the score is placed, the removed shots can't be re-inserted without destroying the audio sync -- if you filled in those shots with anything at all(Even silence), the backing music would sound screwy, and it would be highly off-putting.

Only way to get a Westwood dub sync is to cut these shots, which means you either have to get an MKV ordered chapters thing going, or just make a specific video encode that's deliberately missing these shots, which exists solely for the Westwood dub(And possibly any dubs that were derived from the Westwood dub, though I don't think there were any). If you want to do something with the Westwood dub, doing the latter using Dragon Box footage is probably your best bet.

But really, you'd be better off trying this for Blue Water's GT dub; the only cuts made in that entire dub were about two shots in episode 8, though Toonami UK airings also trimmed the ending of episode 64. Since Blue Water GT uses the original Japanese score, some sort of edit can probably reinsert the missing pieces from episode 8, and presumably a Canadian rip of episode 64 should either be out there somewhere, or turn up sometime.
I get the problem, I'll think about uploading MKV files for the Westwood dub in the future. For the Bang Zoom Dub, I only found one 2 second dialogue deleted in episode 1, if it stays that way I'll stick to audio for Bang Zoom, I'll think about GT Blue Water, thanks for the reply.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Dagos wrote:As the title says this is obviously gonna be a Blu-Ray sync of the Bang Zoom dub, I'm doing this because I don't see this dub getting a home release and the video quality of the Bang Zoom dub online is really low.
I'll do episodes 1-27 but I'm only uploading the audio as I don't want to get in trouble and my internet isn't good.
I won't provide a Blu-Ray link however you get it, It's not up to me.
I don't know how often I can release episodes as I'm still in school.
Any gap (deleted scenes) in this dub has the FUNi dub filling it in, so it's somewhat uncut.

Since it's only the audio you'll need MKV-merge: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Tutorial: (used from the yamamoto revival) https://imgur.com/BCw4zOm

Please, give me feedback cause I am new to this.

Download Folder: https://mega.nz/#F!S4AWWDLb!2Lj3xhI2LgGrNFcrtTWn4g

I'll also be working on the DBZ Westwood dub if anybody is interested.
I never really watched the bang zoom dub and I heard its bad but Ill be keeping an eye on this project
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Dagos

Post by Dagos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:
Dagos wrote:As the title says this is obviously gonna be a Blu-Ray sync of the Bang Zoom dub, I'm doing this because I don't see this dub getting a home release and the video quality of the Bang Zoom dub online is really low.
I'll do episodes 1-27 but I'm only uploading the audio as I don't want to get in trouble and my internet isn't good.
I won't provide a Blu-Ray link however you get it, It's not up to me.
I don't know how often I can release episodes as I'm still in school.
Any gap (deleted scenes) in this dub has the FUNi dub filling it in, so it's somewhat uncut.

Since it's only the audio you'll need MKV-merge: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Tutorial: (used from the yamamoto revival) https://imgur.com/BCw4zOm

Please, give me feedback cause I am new to this.

Download Folder: https://mega.nz/#F!S4AWWDLb!2Lj3xhI2LgGrNFcrtTWn4g

I'll also be working on the DBZ Westwood dub if anybody is interested.
I never really watched the bang zoom dub and I heard its bad but Ill be keeping an eye on this project
Thanks man

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:I never really watched the bang zoom dub and I heard its bad but Ill be keeping an eye on this project
Bang Zoom's dub is good. It's got some flaws, but most of those get ironed out by the time the Resurrection F arc gets underway. I do hope they do more episodes; they've actually done a pretty nice job, especially with their casting of King Kai.
Dagos wrote:I get the problem, I'll think about uploading MKV files for the Westwood dub in the future. For the Bang Zoom Dub, I only found one 2 second dialogue deleted in episode 1, if it stays that way I'll stick to audio for Bang Zoom, I'll think about GT Blue Water, thanks for the reply.
I think you misunderstand what I meant about the MKVs thing. But, still, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
And yeah, stick to BZ if you can; since they use the Japanese score, you might be able to use Funi's 5.1 mixes of the audio to just grab the music/SFX to cover up any missing bits.

Good luck, man.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Yeah, so I can think of three ways you could sync it up.

1. Fill in the missing bits by using the Funi 5.1 mix and trying to mute the Funi vocals (except maybe for things like grunts?)
2. Fill in the missing bits using Funi's dub.
3. Fill in the missing bits with the Japanese audio (have Steve Simmons subs where this occurs)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dagos

Post by Dagos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Yeah, so I can think of three ways you could sync it up.

1. Fill in the missing bits by using the Funi 5.1 mix and trying to mute the Funi vocals (except maybe for things like grunts?)
2. Fill in the missing bits using Funi's dub.
3. Fill in the missing bits with the Japanese audio (have Steve Simmons subs where this occurs)
I'm on to it

Dagos

Post by Dagos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 am

Robo4900 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:I never really watched the bang zoom dub and I heard its bad but Ill be keeping an eye on this project
Bang Zoom's dub is good. It's got some flaws, but most of those get ironed out by the time the Resurrection F arc gets underway. I do hope they do more episodes; they've actually done a pretty nice job, especially with their casting of King Kai.
Dagos wrote:I get the problem, I'll think about uploading MKV files for the Westwood dub in the future. For the Bang Zoom Dub, I only found one 2 second dialogue deleted in episode 1, if it stays that way I'll stick to audio for Bang Zoom, I'll think about GT Blue Water, thanks for the reply.
I think you misunderstand what I meant about the MKVs thing. But, still, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
And yeah, stick to BZ if you can; since they use the Japanese score, you might be able to use Funi's 5.1 mixes of the audio to just grab the music/SFX to cover up any missing bits.

Good luck, man.
I meant like I'll just have to make my own encode that removes the scenes that ocean didn't dub

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 am

Dagos wrote:I meant like I'll just have to make my own encode that removes the scenes that ocean didn't dub
Right, yeah. That's the way to do it. :)

Dagos

Post by Dagos » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Update: I haven't been working on the project because of school and I've been waiting on a new PC coming in, I've been updating Episode 1 because I realized I used a low quality Toonami rip that had the audio bit rate at 165kbps and that it randomly goes out of sync so, I'll be replacing that rip with a Cartoon Network rip with the audio bit rate at 1536kbps. I should have Episode 1 updated in a couple of days.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:21 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Agree so much!

There's also a fan-made "uncut" Ocean Dub and it uses the FUNimation dub for the missing scenes so it's a tad jarring to hear the FUNi dub, I'd have rather picked the Japanese audio for the 'deleted scenes' instead. Or you know, just watch it as it is.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:26 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Agree so much!

There's also a fan-made "uncut" Ocean Dub and it uses the FUNimation dub for the missing scenes so it's a tad jarring to hear the FUNi dub, I'd have rather picked the Japanese audio for the 'deleted scenes' instead. Or you know, just watch it as it is.
Both "Fill-in" solutions sound jarring and dumb to me. Just watch it as-is, or watch a different version. If the Saban dub being uncut bugs you, then you're probably watching it for the wrong reasons.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:There's also a fan-made "uncut" Ocean Dub and it uses the FUNimation dub for the missing scenes so it's a tad jarring to hear the FUNi dub, I'd have rather picked the Japanese audio for the 'deleted scenes' instead. Or you know, just watch it as it is.
Except the Japanese audio would be even MORE jarring. Some of the voices between the Japanese version & both English dubs of Z are completely at odds with one another. I know it's a popular one to point out, because it's obvious, but Masako Nozawa's voice is at complete odds with Schemmel's, Corlett's, Kalemis', & Morrow's, in addition to the actors & actresses that voice Gohan & Goten. Tanaka's Krillin is also completely different than either English Krillin. That's not even the end of that list either. At the very least, the scripts between the dubs remained mostly consistent with each other, since Ocean had a hand in writing them, so it's not like mixing the dubs is that jarring, really, outside of the voices & acting quality.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Both "Fill-in" solutions sound jarring and dumb to me. Just watch it as-is, or watch a different version. If the Saban dub being uncut bugs you, then you're probably watching it for the wrong reasons.
Yes, both options are inadequate. Better to leave as it is and not try to somehow improve it.

To be honest, I prefer dubs the way they are so watching Ocean Dub with another dub to fill-in or the Japanese audio would be not as fulfilling.
Scsigs wrote:Except the Japanese audio would be even MORE jarring. Some of the voices between the Japanese version & both English dubs of Z are completely at odds with one another. I know it's a popular one to point out, because it's obvious, but Masako Nozawa's voice is at complete odds with Schemmel's, Corlett's, Kalemis', & Morrow's, in addition to the actors & actresses that voice Gohan & Goten. Tanaka's Krillin is also completely different than either English Krillin. That's not even the end of that list either. At the very least, the scripts between the dubs remained mostly consistent with each other, since Ocean had a hand in writing them, so it's not like mixing the dubs is that jarring, really, outside of the voices & acting quality.
I see you're trying to defend the FUNimation dub as being a good fill-in dub for the missing scenes but it isn't, neither is the Japanese audio. The best solution is to watch just as how it was made and not try to somehow make it "better."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:52 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I see you're trying to defend the FUNimation dub as being a good fill-in dub for the missing scenes but it isn't, neither is the Japanese audio. The best solution is to watch just as how it was made and not try to somehow make it "better."
I'm not defending anything. I'm just saying, of the 2, the FUNi dub audio would be the less jarring experience. Neither dub is any good due to the standards they were made with, or their productions. Don't put words in my text that aren't there, please.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:45 am

Robo4900 wrote:

Both "Fill-in" solutions sound jarring and dumb to me. Just watch it as-is, or watch a different version. If the Saban dub being uncut bugs you, then you're probably watching it for the wrong reasons.
The French db and dbz Collector dvd boxes does that and i am happier about that solution than a cut video.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:23 pm

sangofe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

The French db and dbz Collector dvd boxes does that and i am happier about that solution than a cut video.
Okay... Though I would argue those dubs were uncut originally, and the only reason any of it is missing is because AB Groupe is crazy people with no idea of the meaning of the word "Archiving", so it is at least slightly less crazy than trying to add material to these cut-only dubs.

Though, even then, I still don't consider that a very good solution. :P

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 pm

If you can fill in the gaps with a voiceless track like Robo suggested, then I’ll totally go out and buy the BDs of Super. I don’t like FUNi’s dub, so I haven’t bothered to watch Super yet.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:51 pm

There are a few episodes of Bang Zoom Super synced to the American Blu-rays but the 'syncher' filled the missing gaps with the FUNi dub. 😕 Either voiceless tracks as suggested or the original Japanese audio with subs. To be honest, I'd not mind the CN TV rips but the video quality is really awful and it's 16:AR squashed to 4:3 AR for some reason, plus it has watermark text on it as if the capper owns the rights to it.