Dragon Ball Youtubers: What are your opinions on them?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Youtubers: What are your opinions on them?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Geekdom ate my puppy, and is literally Hitler. I've got numerous clickbait videos with terrible acting to prove it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Geekdom ate my puppy, and is literally Hitler. I've got numerous clickbait videos with terrible acting to prove it.
rofl
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 am

For news and outright keeping people informed on the series Geekdom is the best.

For analysis it's definitely MistareFusion.

Then obviously TFS for abridged.

I'm sure there's other great content out there, but your pretty much set if you watch those three.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:36 am

IM21 wrote:Ajay and MasakoX are pretty much the only ones i watch. I dont really care about the ones that make a video everytime Herms translates something.
Same, and I really dislike the ones with clickbaity titles that just talk about inane shit for views, like TotallyNotMark with a ton of his video titles that sound like they came straight from Buzzfeed.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:59 am

Asura wrote:Same, and I really dislike the ones with clickbaity titles that just talk about inane shit for views, like TotallyNotMark with a ton of his video titles that sound like they came straight from Buzzfeed.
"How male Dragon Ball characters manspreading displays Toriyama's innate sexism"

"Is Dragon Ball racist? How Saiyan superiority is a symbol for white supremacy"

"Blue Popo's recolored black face is still problematic"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Well , this is not a Youtuber I guess , but I love the music and the way he connects and move the panels
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjFqehjNFpc
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Sun May 06, 2018 4:55 am

Italian ones sucks at 90%, lol
Regarding the international ones, I like a lot seth the programmer, chuck the cyber cuck for the amount of good informations they spread, while I hate dbz Macky cause his power lever are too low that makes no sense to me.
Others I like are obviously TFS and related

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 pm

MasakoX: aside from episode reviews he also likes to do deep research on Dragon Ball's cultural roots, things westerners like me won't notice, like the meaning of Super Saiyan Blue's colors and that of other forms. Or the meaning behind the designs of the Gods of Destruction. The downside is that you'll also realize that Dragon Ball Super itself never went all the way to utilize these meanings or do anything else to build tension. MasakoX also keeps everything light, humorous and listens to his audience.
MistareFusion: he analyzes, 'dissects' both the manga and anime and doesn't hold back to point out the bad points in the plot.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 pm

I love Geekdom101,MasakoX, and Qaaman. Theres a few otbers I think are alright but those are definitely my 3 favorites.

On the other side of the spectrum I absolutely hate double4anime and his clickbait and then Seth the Programmer. Seth "debunks" things in the rudest most disrespectful way. Hes just an asshole and he isnt even good at what he does he is garbage at power scaling. Then he presents his opinion as though it is a fact.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 pm

That kind of disparagement does not live up to the Kanzenshuu community guidelines. Genuine critiques of public fan works are of course welcome, provided actual examples and worthwhile, constructive comments are included.

You do not have to and of course are not expected to like everything, but your comments should fall in line with the expectations we have for the rest of the forum.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Asura wrote:Same, and I really dislike the ones with clickbaity titles that just talk about inane shit for views, like TotallyNotMark with a ton of his video titles that sound like they came straight from Buzzfeed.
"How male Dragon Ball characters manspreading displays Toriyama's innate sexism"

"Is Dragon Ball racist? How Saiyan superiority is a symbol for white supremacy"

"Blue Popo's recolored black face is still problematic"
I dont see what you’re talking about at all. There is nothing like that on his channel.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:49 pm

My only "complaint" of Masako, is that he tends to overdo the whole "But Masako! *insert subject here*!" thing at times. If he cut that done to maybe once a couple of episodes, I would be completely fine with it.

But I do otherwise like his stuff (just personally not interested in the "What if Raditz/Nappa/whomever was good?" scenarios).

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue May 08, 2018 3:41 am

Jackalope89 wrote:My only "complaint" of Masako, is that he tends to overdo the whole "But Masako! *insert subject here*!" thing at times. If he cut that done to maybe once a couple of episodes, I would be completely fine with it.

But I do otherwise like his stuff (just personally not interested in the "What if Raditz/Nappa/whomever was good?" scenarios).
Yeah, I really dislike the “But Masako!” bits. Not only is it strawmanning, but it’s strawmanning using arguments that no person would even make in the first place. I also don’t care for the Raditz/Nappa stuff, really don’t care about those characters.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 am

Asura wrote: Yeah, I really dislike the “But Masako!” bits. Not only is it strawmanning, but it’s strawmanning using arguments that no person would even make in the first place. I also don’t care for the Raditz/Nappa stuff, really don’t care about those characters.
Its no strawmaning, it is purposely exaggerating the archetypical reactions of fanbases to expose how ridiculous they are. The arguments themselves are not the main point here. And in case of Dragon Ball it is not even really exaggerated.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am

Cetra wrote:
Asura wrote: Yeah, I really dislike the “But Masako!” bits. Not only is it strawmanning, but it’s strawmanning using arguments that no person would even make in the first place. I also don’t care for the Raditz/Nappa stuff, really don’t care about those characters.
Its no strawmaning, it is purposely exaggerating the archetypical reactions of fanbases to expose how ridiculous they are.
Uh, yeah, that’s what strawmanning is. By purposefully exaggerating people’s reactions/arguments you are refuting a reaction/argument that people aren’t making.

But like I said, a lot of the times they’re so exaggerated and ridiculous that it’s like... no one would ever even say this sort of stuff to begin with.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 am

Asura wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Its no strawmaning, it is purposely exaggerating the archetypical reactions of fanbases to expose how ridiculous they are.
Uh, yeah, that’s what strawmanning is. By purposefully exaggerating people’s reactions/arguments you are refuting a reaction/argument that people aren’t making.

But like I said, a lot of the times they’re so exaggerated and ridiculous that it’s like... no one would ever even say this sort of stuff to begin with.
I wouldn't be so sure about that... :?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am

Asura wrote: Uh, yeah, that’s what strawmanning is. By purposefully exaggerating people’s reactions/arguments you are refuting a reaction/argument that people aren’t making.

It would be strawmaning if he would do that for the mere purpose of actually refuting it and "win" but that is not that actual purpose of his reactions and I have already explained that in the previous post. MasakoX knows as much as you and I that the fanbase is a kindergarten. And what do you mean "aren't making"? Have you seen this fanbase? Strawmaning would require to troll someone by twisting what they said. Masako does not actually twist what they say and is not actually focussing on that but the behaviour itself. The weight of his action here is exactly on the other side as can be seen by his incredible focus on ridiculing which you interpret as too much but he does it "too" much exactly because of what I said. He is an adult who wants this fanbase to wake up. Dig bifference.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am

In the end, all I care about is entertainment and information. As long as I'm getting that, I'll subscribe. A lot of these youtubers have their own life issues and dramas. It's just like watching a movie. If you find out that the actors in real life might be douches, should not make you hate the movie more or less. If Michael Jackson is a pedophile, shouldn't make his music any less enjoyable. I stay objective and only judge their content. Overall, I think most of the youtubers are entertaining and their content gets better gradually. Most of them started out as casual fans, who watched dubbed DBZ and now DBS. They are trying to become content creators as their career, so they try to do anything they can to get popular. Being behind the scenes and knowing many of them, I know that there's a lot of kissing up, click baiting, etc.

I appreciate youtubers who do more than just report news. The source of information is usually interviews, v-jump, etc. that is in Japanese and then gets translated by Herms98 or KenKyro, etc. It's become so much about news reporting that if I simply follow a few people on twitter, I'm already informed. What matters to me are youtubers who do not just simply tell you information, but interpret it, discuss it, theorize, ask what if scenarios, etc. DB isn't the only community in pop culture. There are channels with over 2 M subs that cover Marvel, DC, sci-fi shows, anime, etc. like EmergencyAwesome, Nerdist, VariantComics, etc. These channels are uniquely different because they don't just deliver information. In addition, there are even better channels like BecauseScience by Kyle Hill (also from Nerdist), who explore the physics and science behind superpowers and other stuff. I love stuff like that and I wish that DB youtubers would take a page from them.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 am

Asura wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:My only "complaint" of Masako, is that he tends to overdo the whole "But Masako! *insert subject here*!" thing at times. If he cut that done to maybe once a couple of episodes, I would be completely fine with it.

Yeah, I really dislike the “But Masako!” bits. Not only is it strawmanning, but it’s strawmanning using arguments that no person would even make in the first place. I also don’t care for the Raditz/Nappa stuff, really don’t care about those characters.
You're taking Masako too seriously. He does those bits for the purpose of comedy, not ridicule. It's a reoccurring joke, like with Larry Bundy Jr. and how he mocks Peter Molyneux every video, or Sonic the Hedgehog's US social media and the teasing of a Big the Cat body pillow or Sonic toaster for sale.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 am

Cetra wrote:
Asura wrote: Uh, yeah, that’s what strawmanning is. By purposefully exaggerating people’s reactions/arguments you are refuting a reaction/argument that people aren’t making.
It would be strawmaning if he would do that for the mere purpose of actually refuting it and "win".
How is that not what he's doing? He brings up a completely exaggerated and ridiculous argument and then refutes it. Here's an example of what I'm talking about with shit that people wouldn't even say:
https://youtu.be/Gv0p0lqpusY?t=123

Leading up to this, he was talking about Freeza.
"And now he has the genuine feeling of God inside of him having attained the true golden power. He truly is unassailable, the only people that could really take him out are Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, and Whis, with only Goku seemingly able to get the handle on him. Whatever way you look at it, Freeza could potentially be a bit of a loose cannon."
And somehow that leads into
"BUT MASAKO, YOU SAID YOU LIKED THE WAY FREEZA WAS HANDLED IN EPISODE 131. WHY ARE YOU TURNING YOUR BACK ON HIM MASAKO?? IT'S JUST LIKE WITH VEGETA, YOU HATE VEGETA, NOW YOU HATE FREEZA! WHY DO YOU HATE EVERYONE MASAKO!? UNSUBSCRIBED!!!!"

How does that even make any sense? How do you go from talking about Freeza and who is powerful enough to defeat him, to somehow interpreting that as hating Freeza? It's a strawman representing an argument that no one would be making because it doesn't even make sense to make as a reply to what he was talking about.
ZeroNeonix wrote:
Asura wrote:

You're taking Masako too seriously. He does those bits for the purpose of comedy, not ridicule. It's a reoccurring joke, like with Larry Bundy Jr. and how he mocks Peter Molyneux every video, or Sonic the Hedgehog's US social media and the teasing of a Big the Cat body pillow or Sonic toaster for sale.
I'm not taking him too seriously, I simply don't find it funny at all. It's obviously made for both comedy and ridicule but it fails on both fronts IMO. It comes off as a lot more obnoxious than funny.