Fan Works Explosion

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Fan Works Explosion

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am

I'd imagine Vegeta to answer something like "My hair grew into Super Saiyan shape before I even reached that form. I am that awesome."
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Image

Wanted a new avatar for the site. I had been using the original version of this scene from the JSAT's Orange Hero for a bit before Toriyama's Battle of Gods promotional ticket art of SS Goku was revealed. It's getting to be Christmas time though, and I wanted something to fit the seasonal theme, so I redrew the avatar with Goku and Chi Chi in winter clothes.

I think it turned out pretty nice, but being an avatar, it's really small...sorry about that.

So cute! :D I would've loved to see a larger picture of your avatar.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Those three filters I found seem to be quite good at transforming regular Toriyama artworks into Kanzenban Toriyama artworks!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:06 pm

I like them, the colors pop way more! :)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm gonna be honest with you. Please stop that blurry awful mess! Those filters are absolutely horrible and it's an insult to toriyama's original artwork.

@Devilscorpse: Nice going! Looks official.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:49 pm

You're being pretty insulting yourself to call his images an "insult" to Toriyama's work. So what, he's just experimenting with some filters and having some fun. I'd really hate to see this thread turn into people being mean spirited about other peoples work, it kinda dampens the whole mood and makes people not want to post.

Personally, I think his last one, the Perfect Cell, is most definitely the best. The others I feel, look a little to blurry and over done, but still a major step up to his first ones (I think they were manga covers?) he posted a while back.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I may come of sounding harsh. But I just feel like he's ruining great artworks. There's no need for "touch ups". The filters take away detail, make things blurry and so are definitely not an improvement of the art. So what's the point in doing them?

I'd on the other hand encourage him to show some art of his own, since that's what the thread is all about right? Not photoshop filters.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

You're probably right.
I do love experimenting with colors and filters and such things to shed a different light on works, but I didn't think it would - and didn't mean to - insult anyone or anything.
I guess it's just going the easy way when you can't draw anything by yourself. :D
No worries, I'll stop posting any kind of "photoshop touched-up /recolored stuff" (or "GIMP touched-up/recolored stuff" in this case) around this forum, cause I never considered it could be insulting until now, and that's the last thing I would want for artworks and character designs I genuinely love. 8)

And thanks for having stepped up for me Insertclevername! :wink:
I was indeed trying to improve compared to my previous trials! :)

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Hey no worries Cold Skin. It's not really insulting to me, just to Toriyama's work I feel. We all look up to him right.

Don't let it stop you from doing these though. And here's a tip, try making duplicating layers of the image with different opacities of filters applied, together with the original image to contain the line details. Here's my take on it using multiple layers. Now I don't think this is an improvement on the artwork either, but it may help you out.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 pm

It looks great, very "clean" somehow, it could be used as a DVD box set or something!
I'll try, but layers actually seem complicated to deal with when it comes to GIMP!
I used Picture It! before that and it was very intuitive to create and organize layers, but GIMP is really hellish in comparison.
So I'm afraid it'll be out of my reach and possibly the end of my filter experimentations anyway, since this time I've really tried each and every filter one after the other to see which ones to combine.

Namely, the three filters were:
- "GMIC Soft glow" (likely responsible for the blur, but I think it might also be the one that brings the smooth shading).
- "GMIC Color local normalization".
- A "Generic" GIMP effect that extends black areas so that black lines appear larger.

Here's the default image.

______________________Original picture_______________________

And here are the three filters applied one after the others.

ImageImageImage
________________________Step 1 (soft glow filter)______________________________________Step 2 (Color Local Normalisation)________________________________________Step 3 (Generic black-outline filter)___________

Here is a comparison result showing what happens if I keep or if I skip the first, blurry "soft glow" filter.
I'm afraid the blur is actually what brings a sense of relief when you watch Cell's "armored pecs" for example.

ImageImage
________________________All three steps___________________________________________________Skipping the blurry step______________________

Anyway, I think I've come to a deadend when it comes to automatic filters, so unless I actually understand how GIMP deals with layers someday (when it was so simple with Picture It...),
I'll only keep editing Dragon Ball stuff for the "official color schemes" thread.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Oh I'm not really familiar with Gimp, so I couldn't help you with working with layers there. Try "gimp layer tutorial" in google. ;)
But I can tell you that I used following layers in photoshop:
-First one original copy on around 30% opacity
-a massively blurred layer on 40%
-a paint daub filter on around 30% with "screen" blending option.
-a posterization filter on 70% that produces the "clean look"
-and another original copy as a base at 100%

I'd suggest trying to leave out the local normalisation step though.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 am

These filtered images look as nice as Orange Brick Season 2. [/sarcasm]

jonhathansimion

Post by jonhathansimion » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 pm

This is my first post in a very long time. I accidentally forgot my password to my old username. I don't have a scanner or anything like that, so I am sorry for the quality, but I was bored and drew these a while ago. I am a little bit rusty but criticism is welcome.
Screenshot_2012-12-19-19-00-32 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr
20121219_185640 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr
20121219_185614 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr
20121219_185559 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr
20121219_185544 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr
20121219_185450 by jonhathansimion, on Flickr

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I like the first 2. They way you draw the muscles is pretty solid.

jonhathansimion

Post by jonhathansimion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 am

The last one makes me laugh every time I see it. Goku has a tiny head and very long arms. The others are just boredom come to life on paper. Also, would it be possible for anyone to photoshop them to make them look nice. I would really appreciate it.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 am

Scarz wrote:Someone requested that I draw Pan with huge melons. So I did.

Is it wrong that I wouldn't actually mind seeing Pan with large boobs?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:05 am

ringworm128 wrote:Is it wrong that I wouldn't actually mind seeing Pan with large boobs?
She's 10.

Yes.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:31 am

Meh, she's a fictional character. It's easy to pretend she isn't ten.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 am

Rocketman wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Is it wrong that I wouldn't actually mind seeing Pan with large boobs?
She's 10.

Yes.
Manga/anime doesn't care about age, and most 10-year-old female manga/anime characters look like they're 16 anyway.

For example: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9370/zypokemon24.jpg
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 am

ringworm128 wrote:Meh, she's a fictional character. It's easy to pretend she isn't ten.
Just like its easy to pretend a real underage girl is not underage as long as she has a hot body (or in other words, doesn't really look underage)? Seems pretty much the same to me.