Fan Works Explosion

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Fan Works Explosion

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:07 am

Saiga wrote:So you mean you'd like the original pic of SS Goku drawn in the style that was used before it? Ok, that makes sense.

I prefer the newer style anime art because it's a lot prettier to me. :lol: I love the detail in the hair, for instance.
Yeah, that's what I meant :lol:

I understand. The detail in the hair is awesome! I don't hate it. But I think I prefer simpler over detail in some cases and the original art in Dragonball really appeals to me. I draw it fairly well and should upload some stuff here but I'm laaazy.

If they kept using the older style from late DB, I would love the show even more. :)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I don't understand why people prefer the newer art as it barely resembles the original dragonball art in the manga.
Well, elyas11 never said he preferred the newer art style, just that he wanted to make a tribute to that scene, "not to make it better, just make it in the newer style".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I don't understand why people prefer the newer art as it barely resembles the original dragonball art in the manga.
It looks like Dragon Ball though, and being different doesn't always mean it's a bad thing.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Not really. It's in the 'mid-style'. Yeah, I know, I classified it that way but it really is. It's in-between the old round sketchier style with the smaller noses/necks/jaws but big ears and the larger arms/pecs/noses/jaw etc.

The old style for me is the DB to DBZ Namek arc art style. It's very well drawn and well animated in the anime.

The big difference is the way the face is drawn and the detail in the muscles. I don't understand why people prefer the newer art as it barely resembles the original dragonball art in the manga.
Not much sense in buying or enjoying something if it's for the same reason as what you already have on your self. Dragon Ball's art was always changing. It will always change. This applies to everything in the world of art.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

elyas11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by elyas11 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 pm

I like the older art as much as the newer one. But for some reason, the newer has a more catchy feeling to it. At least, I like drawing the newer style more. One thing I find annoying is that the collar bones are gone LOL but if you read the manga, they're even gone in there (around Cell-Buu saga) So even Akira Toriyama changed it, and in my opinion, if Akira did it, it's good.

I am a great great fan of Akira Toriyama's works! So I wanted to redo my favorite scene from the whole DBZ saga in the newer style.
I know mine will never surpass the older style, it's just as a tribute :)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Well, elyas11 never said he preferred the newer art style, just that he wanted to make a tribute to that scene, "not to make it better, just make it in the newer style".
Oh, I know. I have nothing against that at all. he did a great job. I just am nitpickey about it and every time I get a chance to rant about it I do lol.
elyas11 wrote:I like the older art as much as the newer one. But for some reason, the newer has a more catchy feeling to it. At least, I like drawing the newer style more. One thing I find annoying is that the collar bones are gone LOL but if you read the manga, they're even gone in there (around Cell-Buu saga) So even Akira Toriyama changed it, and in my opinion, if Akira did it, it's good.

I am a great great fan of Akira Toriyama's works! So I wanted to redo my favorite scene from the whole DBZ saga in the newer style.
I know mine will never surpass the older style, it's just as a tribute :)
You are right. I would like to see some of the later stuff drawn in the older style one of these days. I guess I could try but I want to see others other than me always doing that haha.

It was a great tribute and looks very pro, sorry that I seemed like I didn't like it because I did. I hate those big pecs without the collar bone as well.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:34 pm

So I was browsing tumblr, and then I found these. Can't not share.

ImageImageImageImageImage

These ponies sure get around! :V
(Sad thing is, I can't tell if most of these are serious or not ...)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:08 pm

It's definitely not perfect at all but I wanted to try this any ways in the "older" style. I did not reference the picture until I shaded it and it was all drawn with a mouse on paint on my new laptop. I don't have photoshop on it yet but I was really wanting to try this out! :lol:
Last edited by Attitudefan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm

I like the face, it almost looks like a Kid Goku (DB not GT) going Super Saiyan. :)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks. I still messed up a bit but I am somewhat satisfied with how it turned out.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

StarRot wrote:So I was browsing tumblr, and then I found these. Can't not share.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxlk3 ... o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m525q ... o1_500.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4r7q ... o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3w33 ... o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m33j9 ... o1_500.jpg

These ponies sure get around! :V
(Sad thing is, I can't tell if most of these are serious or not ...)
I actually despise My Little Pony now. Not because I dislike the show itself or anything, but it's fucking everywhere and a lot of its fans are just annoying. It's like it's a goddamn meme that I can't get away from, even if I've never watched the show.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

elyas11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by elyas11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:03 pm

I second what Piccolo Daimao said... I'm starting to furiously hate it since it's everywhere...

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't really care about them either way.
But the amount of hate they create is incredibly amusing to me.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Vegeta making out with a pony is the last thing that I really need to see today :| ! I never watch the show (I don't plan too) but it seem like it's fan base has spawn crazy obsessed fans that seem to ship the show with anything.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gounks

Post by Gounks » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 am

Lil'Lemmy - LOVING your stuff! It's awesome! Love the Goten pictures too ^.^ Congratulations on getting a graphics tablet ^.^ They're pretty awesome ne?

----------

Well! After 3 weeks of having a break from drawing (was meant to be 2, but I just needed some more time. Got struck by a horrible artist block!) I finally drew something again last night. It's not the greatest. It was pretty rough and stuff looks really unfinished and proportions are totally wacked! But it's a start after such a break. Can't help but laugh at Pikachu's forehead!

I did a bit of this on LiveStream (my first ever go on it) and it turned out okay. Didn't last very long as I got so distracted by people talking.

And uuuh, this is something I was working on before my mini break.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... k92-17.png

It's sadly not that great. Got a lot of things to fix (especially his hand). Pretty much the gist of it is:
Goten is... kinda like an assassin in some ways? And he's killing another character (who I haven't finished drawing yet)(Style is slightly different. I guess this is why I went on a break. I was having style issues) Don't ask. It was one inspired by one of those crazily AU fanfictions. You know how they are.... But this one is truly awesome! Loved how crazy it was :3

Z-Dragon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Z-Dragon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 am

What if Frieza accidentally hit Goku's "dragonballs" down there instead of his chin with his death beam?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am

Gounks wrote:Image
This.

I think I just squealed out my spleen.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 am

If anybodys wondering this is a z picture, i redrew it in the style of gt.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 am

The latest brilliance from Texts From Vegeta:

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler