Dragon Ball R&R Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball R&R Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 am

One year ago, April 17 2017, MasakoX from TeamFourStar created a video series that would change his channel forever, "What if Raditz turned good". And this What if blew up, with a fan club on deviantART, Xenoverse 2 mods, custom action figures, and it even goes as far, as to inspire, to create an audio series...

Dragon Ball R&R, which has just been released today.

https://youtu.be/y_90NMf_ka0
Caulifla best girl! :)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball R&R Discussion Thread

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm

-Choice to make this an manga/audio drama was a great idea, a lot quicker to do than animation obviously
-Original Soundtrack, I was not expecting that. Wow.
-I was surprised that no one from TFS was playing a part but the folks Masoko did grab were great.
-I was worried this was going to be a retread of Z, glad that this jumps to post Buu. I suppose I should catch up on the what if videos, Post Buu or no, I don't know the exact details when they were talking about Ranch's fusion with Goten.
-Also, trans fusions. Definitely need to catch up on the what ifs.
-Vegeta's a real pos like I've been saying for years, though I'd rather he go back to ruining the adult's lives than abuse Trunks, yeesh.
-Professional Anime Inspired Opening, Screencaps, and Ending. I underestimated how serious Masokox was when he said he was doing this show.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

The art is decent, but the writing comes off as forced, awkward and rather unfocused so far.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm

FoolsGil wrote:-Choice to make this an manga/audio drama was a great idea, a lot quicker to do than animation obviously
-I was surprised that no one from TFS was playing a part but the folks Masoko did grab were great.
-I was worried this was going to be a retread of Z, glad that this jumps to post Buu. I suppose I should catch up on the what if videos, Post Buu or no, I don't know the exact details when they were talking about Ranch's fusion with Goten.
-Vegeta's a real pos like I've been saying for years, though I'd rather he go back to ruining the adult's lives than abuse Trunks, yeesh.
-Professional Anime Inspired Opening, Screencaps, and Ending. I underestimated how serious Masokox was when he said he was doing this show.
Ah, one of those stories.

Pass.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:-Choice to make this an manga/audio drama was a great idea, a lot quicker to do than animation obviously
Ah, one of those stories.

Pass.
It's post-buu saga Vegeta not caring about accidentally blasting Trunks, then slamming him into a wall when Trunks implies that Vegeta needed Raditz's help once. Well, I think that's what Trunks said, the volume at that point is a little hard to hear.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Vegeta being a bastard here makes sense given the context as far as I know it. Unlike his main counterpart, he never had the "You are number one!" moment or even got a chance to fuse with Goku to beat the likes of Boo. Those instances are sort of critical to his development and since they don't happen, it makes sense he's a lot worse here.

Having Raditz of all people be his superior in terms of fighting power also probably doesn't help at all.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 22, 2018 3:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta being a bastard here makes sense given the context as far as I know it. Unlike his main counterpart, he never had the "You are number one!" moment or even got a chance to fuse with Goku to beat the likes of Boo. Those instances are sort of critical to his development and since they don't happen, it makes sense he's a lot worse here.

Having Raditz of all people be his superior in terms of fighting power also probably doesn't help at all.
Perhaps but it was Future Trunks dying in the Cell Saga that made the initial change for Vegeta to even consider settling down and loving Bulma and kid Trunks. Unless Raditz kept that from happening too, like I said I need to watch the what ifs.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 pm

I wonder if Masako still needs new character designers for some of the ideas.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta being a bastard here makes sense given the context as far as I know it. Unlike his main counterpart, he never had the "You are number one!" moment or even got a chance to fuse with Goku to beat the likes of Boo. Those instances are sort of critical to his development and since they don't happen, it makes sense he's a lot worse here.

It still doesn't make sense given his personality before the during the beginning of the saga before Buu appeared. Even without the full development of the Buu Saga, Vegeta still shouldn't be acting like Pre Seven-year Time Skip Vegeta.

Also, is this gonna be a thing where you have to sit through a series of discussion videos to understand this shit?

Kanassa wrote:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Kanassa wrote: Also, is this gonna be a thing where you have to sit through a series of discussion videos to understand this shit?
Other than the trans fusions, and knowing about the exact play by play, I doubt it. These seem for the most part standalone from his what ifs. I have questions, but I don't need to watch the what ifs to follow this, The Pillars of Canon don't change that much in these.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Also, is this gonna be a thing where you have to sit through a series of discussion videos to understand this shit?
Other than the trans fusions, and knowing about the exact play by play, I doubt it. These seem for the most part standalone from his what ifs. I have questions, but I don't need to watch the what ifs to follow this, The Pillars of Canon don't change that much in these.
As pointed out, Vegeta's character shift is apparently supported by what happens in the What-ifs, thus he seems OOC

Kanassa wrote:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
As pointed out, Vegeta's character shift is apparently supported by what happens in the What-ifs, thus he seems OOC
Okay, well besides watching the what ifs to understand Vegeta, you don't need to watch them.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 22, 2018 4:49 pm

FoolsGil wrote:

Perhaps but it was Future Trunks dying in the Cell Saga that made the initial change for Vegeta to even consider settling down and loving Bulma and kid Trunks. Unless Raditz kept that from happening too, like I said I need to watch the what ifs.
True, but still in the buu arc he needed to let go of his family and let himself get possesed by Babidi just to go back to his old self

I don't remember how the Cell arc developed in that What If, so i am not sure if the Trunks-with-a-hole-in-the chest thing happened

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 am

I enjoyed the What-if concept and was pretty impressed with this first episode. I honestly didn't expect the amount of artwork that went into this as it was billed as an audio drama. A nice middle ground between an audio-only experience and a full-on animation project.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:41 am

Episode 1 Part 1 and 2 are now available
https://youtu.be/SoZdndUY-hw

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Having watched all of the "What If Raditz Turned Good" series before, R and R has been pretty enjoyable so far. The biggest problem for me is that Goku doesn't feel like he does in Dragon Ball, but more like in Abridged (his constant stupidity, though his being off guard is in character). All in all so far I would give it a 7-8/10 as far as fan works go (one of the better fan works I've seen).

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pm

How the hell is it that Goten has much more character development in this fan project than in any official Dragon Ball product? Like, does that make any sense?
Caulifla best girl! :)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 pm

It doesn't make sense, but I'm glad Masoko and other people are filling in what the official release doesn't.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, this was at least this was better than the first episode. THough a lot fo the writing still feels stilted and awkward. While I appreciate Goten getting focus, it comes as forced and out of nowhere.

Kanassa wrote: