Sean Schemmel IN DEPTH interview Part 2

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geekdom101
Regular

Sean Schemmel IN DEPTH interview Part 2

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:18 pm

FINALLY part 2 of the Sean Schemmel interview and this is the WHOLE Enchilada - 2 hours, 12 minutes. THERE IS A LOT of stuff covered here and its the most insightful interview that I have ever done or that HE has ever done.

We discuss:

> Dragon Ball Super Broly dub
> His HONEST opinion on PREVIOUS Goku voice actors
> Farting in the sound booth
> DBZ vs Kai
> Getting the part of Goku
> Researching Goku
> Views on Toriyama & Masako Nozawa
> Goku Black's voice controversy

+ A LOT MORE!

VERY proud of this one:

https://youtu.be/nZ4fG6jOBh8
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Sean Schemmel IN DEPTH interview Part 2

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:FINALLY part 2 of the Sean Schemmel interview and this is the WHOLE Enchilada - 2 hours, 12 minutes. THERE IS A LOT of stuff covered here and its the most insightful interview that I have ever done or that HE has ever done.

We discuss:

> DBZ vs Kai
> Researching Goku

+ A LOT MORE!

VERY proud of this one:

Perhaps I missed Part 1; did you two ever touch upon his opinion on old dub practices (i.e. the abysmal quality of anime dubs in the '90s as opposed to the much more faithful dubs of today)?
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:FINALLY part 2 of the Sean Schemmel interview and this is the WHOLE Enchilada - 2 hours, 12 minutes. THERE IS A LOT of stuff covered here and its the most insightful interview that I have ever done or that HE has ever done.

We discuss:

> DBZ vs Kai
> Researching Goku

+ A LOT MORE!

VERY proud of this one:

Perhaps I missed Part 1; did you two ever touch upon his opinion on old dub practices (i.e. the abysmal quality of anime dubs in the '90s as opposed to the much more faithful dubs of today)?
This is briefly discussed here but not in a LOT of detail. My interview with Sabat REALLY talked more about this.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 am

Back in the summer, Geekdom101 did Part 1 of this interview, Part 2 was just released yesterday. A lot of detailed stuff here but also hard to follow. Sean loves to talk and he jumps around all over the place but the stuff he says about Ian and Peter is really interesting. The details he also gives about pay for voice actors is downright scary. No idea VA's got paid so little that they need to do fan conventions to help make ends meet. I saw a report online that Sean has a net worth of 3 million and I'm guessing that's bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4fG6jOBh8

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:31 pm

It's known that VAs are underpaid so some make do with what they get paid or look to do extra jobs in other areas since it's not really suffice for them (pay the bills, kids, hobbies, etc). Meh, it's what it is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:47 pm

It was a good interview, as well as the first part. I definitely appreciated Schemmel's humbleness and honesty. Interesting he's studied the manga and Journey to the West extensively. It really shows how much he loves Toriyama's world, and doesn't just see it as another paycheck, which I definitely agree should be greater for the amount of screaming he has to do and what Dragon Ball is, as a cultural phenomenon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:02 am

Listening to interviews with Schemmel is a challenge for me because he talks so fast and has no filter on what he says. Geekdom was the right man for the job, he asked good questions that led to interesting answers.

This was all about addressing the controversies he's had over the past year or so in the fandom. The Goku Black stuff is pretty much resolved at this point, we know why the first few iterations were so dodgy, plus apparently he was following the direction of Marsters' performance (who he mentions by name because why bother pretending that's a secret at this point), which was also evolving over time. The final version we got in the show was fine, and should be the standard for further appearances.

The real issue was the whole thing about his relationship with other English Goku voice actors, and I'm not sure how I feel about Sean's response. He spent so much time trying to justify himself and talking about why he cares so much about credit where credit is due, it took far too long in my opinion for him to admit he was wrong or that he'd buried the hatchet with Peter and Ian. Plus, the way he worded it makes it sound like he still holds those views about other Goku VAs, which is just not a good attitude to have. I don't think he's insecure like many people say, but he's over-thinking things here.

Still, there's some good stuff in there. I think rumours that he's tired or doesn't like doing the show have been quashed. He's definitely passionate about the character and loves the fans, even if he doesn't always express it well. At the end he opens up about what the character means to him and gives a shout-out to the fans which was honestly very sweet. I think the big takeaway for me is that he's passionate, excitable, driven, occasionally combative and doesn't have the best people skills. In other words, he's pretty much Goku.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Listening to interviews with Schemmel is a challenge for me because he talks so fast and has no filter on what he says. Geekdom was the right man for the job, he asked good questions that led to interesting answers.

This was all about addressing the controversies he's had over the past year or so in the fandom. The Goku Black stuff is pretty much resolved at this point, we know why the first few iterations were so dodgy, plus apparently he was following the direction of Marsters' performance (who he mentions by name because why bother pretending that's a secret at this point), which was also evolving over time. The final version we got in the show was fine, and should be the standard for further appearances.

The real issue was the whole thing about his relationship with other English Goku voice actors, and I'm not sure how I feel about Sean's response. He spent so much time trying to justify himself and talking about why he cares so much about credit where credit is due, it took far too long in my opinion for him to admit he was wrong or that he'd buried the hatchet with Peter and Ian. Plus, the way he worded it makes it sound like he still holds those views about other Goku VAs, which is just not a good attitude to have. I don't think he's insecure like many people say, but he's over-thinking things here.

Still, there's some good stuff in there. I think rumours that he's tired or doesn't like doing the show have been quashed. He's definitely passionate about the character and loves the fans, even if he doesn't always express it well. At the end he opens up about what the character means to him and gives a shout-out to the fans which was honestly very sweet. I think the big takeaway for me is that he's passionate, excitable, driven, occasionally combative and doesn't have the best people skills. In other words, he's pretty much Goku.
Over-thinking is an understatement. He absolutely thinks, a lot, but he doesn't think its a bad thing, but his mind goes 100 miles a minute, even when its about something simple like picking something to eat at night. That's just him. He said once that he thought he may have mild Aspergers.

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 am

I can appreciate the man's distaste for how many people's hands have been in the pot for presenting Dragon Ball to English speaking audiences. He's trying to retro-fit the presentation of the product into being as non-mangled and natural as possible which I respect.