Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spyro Chris

Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Post by Spyro Chris » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:41 am

Hello, everyone. I have just finished my DBZ Recut (Japanese version). It started as a personal project but I figured some people might want it. I will not directly share what I've uploaded because I am not doing this for any monetary reasons, and it's illegal, I would assume. Constructive criticism is appreciated, but, as I said, I'm already very happy with the overall result (given that it was mostly for personal use), since a rough estimation says I have cut out about 25 hours and 27 minutes worth of filler footage.

I tried not to merge too many episodes, as it kept messing up the subtitles, so there are a few episodes with 2-4 minutes of canon footage.

Disclaimer: the files are in .mkv format. Therefore, simple media players like Windows Media Player won't play them properly. Please use another media player like GOM Player.

Note: the files are dual audio, but I have not tested how the English dub fares at all. Watch at your own risk.
Note 2: some episodes are stated to be 40+ minutes long. That's a visual bug and it does not affect the file size, nor the episode itself in any way, shape or form. I am not a pro video editor, after all.
Note 3: the audio is actually the Original Broadcast Japanese Audio meaning it's a much higher quality audio stream than any DBZ Japanese release. For more details on that, please check AnimeAjay's YouTube video about it, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLBEzJQU9M

EDIT: Saiyan Saga is uploaded.
EDIT 2: Namek Saga is uploaded.
EDIT 3: Frieza Saga is uploaded.
EDIT 4: Android + Cell Sagas are uploaded.
EDIT 5: Buu Saga is uploaded.

The entire Recut has finally been uploaded!
Last edited by Spyro Chris on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Spyro Chris

Re: Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Post by Spyro Chris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 am

Bumping for the people who have PMed me (you know who you are) because I have finally managed to upload the entire Saiyan saga. Feel free to comment about it here if you want!

PrincessJapanese

Post by PrincessJapanese » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Oh finally some Japanese love! Most of the edits here are English only.
Especially the Boo Arc which I really want a Manga Edit of because the Kai version is cropped 16x9, but all the edits here are English only.

So
MilkMan's Dragon Ball Recut for Dragon Ball
Official Kai for Dragon Ball Z Saiyan - Freeza - Cell Arcs
Your Edit for Dragon Ball Z Boo Arc

I think this will be the best way to watch Japanese Dragon Ball with the least amount of filler.
Manga Edit me Spyro!

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 am

My problem with Kai is its OST change. I am a huge Kikuchi fan, and I do believe the Kai OST doesn't do Dragon Ball Z justice. I will PM you the Saiyan saga so you can compare it to Kai yourself!

I will eventually get to the Buu saga. I'm uploading episodes every day for that reason!

MechaDragonX

Post by MechaDragonX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm

How long do you think it will take for you to upload the rest of the episodes? How many episodes do you have total (including those less than 10 min)?

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Based on my connection, it will take around 4 months. I am terribly sorry but there are times where it's uploading with 10kb/s and I literally cannot do anything about it. I will PM you a link of the episodes I've uploaded so far. They are about 40.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 am

Cool project!

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 am

Thank you! It would be cool if you guys give your constructive criticism in this thread, so I can improve upon it. Also if anyone is better than me with editing, I would appreciate some help, especially in merging episodes and adding 1 line of subtitles that is completely wrong in episode 269 (Vegetto vs. Buuhan).

I have never seen anyone talk about this, ever, so here's the deal: At around 7:47 into the episode, where Buu is partially beaten up by Vegetto, he tells him, "Now you've done it!". It's Vegetto's response to that line that has two versions, apparently. One is what the subtitles say, and what I have seen on any online website that allows you to stream DBZ in Japanese: "The Grand-Kaioshin sama was right. The power of those Potara is incredible!". However, in my version, Vegetto says (and I have asked a native Japanese speaker, whose English is also excellent): "Itsu made sonna mittomonai kakkou shiteiru tsumorida? Hayaku saisei shiro!". A faithful translation to this line would be: "How much longer are you planning to keep up that unsightly appearance? Hurry up and regenerate!".

I will upload the episode in question today, so that you guys can compare it to any other Japanese DBZ and also help me correcting that line in the subtitles. It's really strange, but it's true.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 am

@forte224, to answer your question if there's fillers in the Recut.

My philosophy for editing the episodes is as follows:

1) Is the scene absent from the manga?
2) Does deleting the scene cause major continuity problems/result in blatantly bad edits?

If the answers to the above questions are "yes" and "no", respectively, then I proceed to delete that scene. So, sometimes, I am forced to leave certain filler scenes in, because if I delete those, it will result in horribly blatant bad edits because of a variety of reasons (eg. someone talks while a fight is going on and there's music in the background). Also, keep in mind that compared to Kai, Z has slower fights and there is nothing I can do about that, because, again, if I start cutting out parts of those fight scenes and make them identical to Kai, there will be OST cuts all over the place. An exception to this rule is the ad break parts in the middle of each episode. I have cut out all of those, because I have found myself skipping them all the time anyway.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:39 pm

After asking but getting no responses, I am bumping this thread once again, to give you guys an important message:

I am still uploading episodes, but on a different folder, because my mega.nz account got filled up. People who want to watch them, please PM me so I can share the link of the 2nd part with you. Thank you for the support!

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:18 pm

I am taking the slight liberty to sort of necro this thread because I am curious as to how did the people who watched this perceived it to be.

Please let me know of your opinions here, and feel free to post suggestions as to how this project could be shaped into a better one. Apologies for the necro once more, however, I recently got a few PMs about it, so I thought it'd be better if we discussed it here instead.

corre

Post by corre » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 am

Hi,
i recently started watching dragon ball in japanese for the first time, and i came across your recut version of dragon ball z, from what i read its pretty good and its a good way to watch without fillers.
do you still have those files uploaded? if so, can you provide the links?
thanks in advance

corre

Post by corre » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Does any of the members have the link to the complete upload?

Raditz

Post by Raditz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:47 pm

I would love to watch this version too. Could anybody please provide a link? Thank you

corre

Post by corre » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 am

Raditz wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:47 pm I would love to watch this version too. Could anybody please provide a link? Thank you
this dude doesnt come online since october 13th. it will be hard to find someone that wnats to share the same link. I'm sure some guys here have the link, but they dont want to share it somehow.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 am

I am terribly sorry for not being here, but work took all of my time. I saw the thread died a while ago, so I thought people just weren't interested in this project. I'll make sure I'll be active from now on. By all means, discuss away!

PS. I gave you guys the links to the recut. Please check your inboxes. Thank you!

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Love the project been just checking but can't wait to watch through. Some questions about the video sources, it seems you used level sets and then the dragon box footage for the rest am I correct? Any colour correcting like some Dragon Box footage on the internet does?

Also I notice some episodes have OPs and some don't. Also no EDs. Was the using of an OP dependent on what episode was cut from? And I imagine lack of ED is due to the shorter episodes making it repetitive or something? I just miss hearing Zenkai Power or We Were Angels. Same with title cards, just too difficult due to how episodes are cut?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:42 am

Hello and thanks for watching the Recut. The ones that don't have openings are usually the ones that are very short in length, because I always run them in a playlist, so that the episode in question comes immediately after the previous one (since I couldn't manage to correct the immense subtitle issue when merging them). I cut out the endings to save disk space, and because I always skipped them anyway. Same with the title cards in the middle.

I have found a few people that will help in merging the smaller episodes, so the end result will be 20-30 minute chunks. That's not likely to happen anytime soon, though, because I simply don't know how to do it myself. (Of course if you or anyone else is willing to help with that, I'm definitely fine with it). Also, yes, the level sets were used, and then the dragon box ones, like you said.

https://pastebin.com/6kSJF6x3 this contains more details about the files.

sangoseb

Post by sangoseb » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 pm

This project sounds AMAZING!!! I love DBZ but the fillers can really get annoying....and DBZ KAI was such a missed opportunity

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 am

I do hope you're all enjoying it!