"Call Me Kakarot" Scene Explained! | Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

InnovativeJdawg

"Call Me Kakarot" Scene Explained! | Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Post by InnovativeJdawg » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 am

So I've been meaning to make this video for quite some time on my YouTube channel and I'm just barely getting around to it. Ever since I saw DBS: Broly, my mind began racing on why that final line of the entire movie was so significant. So I wanted to share my personal thoughts with all of you and hopefully give you a different outlook on the "Call Me Kakarot" scene! Let me know what you think and if you like my content, I'd love the support and feedback!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13dD4W ... ativeJdawg

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Call Me Kakarot" Scene Explained! | Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 am

I saw it as Goku accepting his saiyan heritage after fighting a super strong but pure hearted saiyan, just like him. Being a saiyan doesn't really bother him anymore.

He's Goku, from Earth, but also Kakarot.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

InnovativeJdawg

Post by InnovativeJdawg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am

FlpShimizu wrote:I saw it as Goku accepting his saiyan heritage after fighting a super strong but pure hearted saiyan, just like him. Being a saiyan doesn't really bother him anymore.

He's Goku, from Earth, but also Kakarot.
That's definitely one way of looking at it, it all helps build Goku as a character in my opinion!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm

I agree with the of it meaning his final acceptance of his Saiyan heritage.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:34 am

It makes sense he would want other Saiyans to know him by his Saiyan name. This isn't the first time Goku has accepted his Saiyan heritage, though. He accepted it on Namek before he fought Frieza. Broly was definitely an exceptional Saiyan, which might have reignited his Saiyan pride, but I think there's another reason the writers had Goku ask to be called "Kakarot." That way, when Broly returns sometime in the future, he can scream "Kakarot" while berserk like the original version of him did. lol

Ragna

Post by Ragna » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 pm

"My name is Son Goku, and also... Kakarot" - That is the real line in the original japanese. No "Call me Kakarot" thing is there.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

I only saw it as a clever nod to the fact that it's all the original Broly ever said without much else to read into.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm I only saw it as a clever nod to the fact that it's all the original Broly ever said without much else to read into.
I saw it as both, actually. It's definitely a nod to the original Broly screaming Goku's name, but I also see it as Goku acknowledging his Saiyan identity (and not just his heritage). We now know that he views "Kakarot" as more than just "that name Vegeta calls him." It reminds me of a few friends who go by different names in different social circles, as those names often reference the context or special bond that links them to a person or group. I have a friend who goes by his Iranian name when with family or high school friends, for example, but uses his US name in the workplace and among college friends. He associates his Iranian name with both his heritage and a specific period in his life, just as Goku associates Kakarot with the former.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Ragna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 pm "My name is Son Goku, and also... Kakarot" - That is the real line in the original japanese. No "Call me Kakarot" thing is there.
Pretty much this. FUNimation still can’t help themselves by embellishing perfectly serviceable dialogue. Given that, there’s really nothing to read into it in the meta.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu May 30, 2019 1:06 pm

With the movie showing a strong emphasis on the origins of those Saiyans and how the three babies are the heritage of this tragic race, it's only natural that the end of the movie links back to what we saw at the beginning.

It's all a story about how Saiyans met their ends and yet their legacy still live on, in part due to how that baby named Kakarotto that was saved at the beginning still lives on. He is still that baby, willingly representing that people despite having no memories of them.