Dragon Ball clips in YouTube videos

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball clips in YouTube videos

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 pm

I hope to start making YouTube videos discussing the things I love, chief among them being Dragon Ball, and I've been wondering how to approach the usage of Dragon Ball clips in videos. I know that, once upon a time, Toei was pretty diligent when it came to flagging and removing videos on YouTube that contained Dragon Ball clips. Is it still that way today? Are we able to use the odd clip here and there with relative peace of mind, or do we still have to rely on methods of image distortion to get away with it?

I've been trying to pay attention to various YouTubers and how they use clips in their videos, and I've noticed some patterns. Typically, in the case of channels like CBR or WatchMojo, I've noticed that their clips look like mashed potatoes. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they are able to bypass the copyright detection, by utilizing the worst possible sources they can find. Or perhaps they have an agreement with Toei/Funimation?

AnimeAjay and Totally Not Mark typically showcase their clips within a template of sorts, but I can't tell if that's done to get around YouTube's copyright scraping or if that's just their style, I suspect it's the latter. Totally Not Mark also showcases clips in the more standard fashion from time to time.

TeamFourStar, of course, is a prominent example of using Dragon Ball footage on YouTube, but they've also traditionally had lots of issues when it comes to copyright claims, with their videos being taken down on several occasions.

So from those with experience in the area, how do I go about properly using Dragon Ball clips in YouTube videos, such as video dissections, lists, or comparisons? Is it still as big an issue as it used to be? Do I even need to worry about it? I'd appreciate any help and/or advice, thank you. I don't want to sink a lot of time into the creation of a video only to have it taken down, so I'd like to know just what I can and cannot use beforehand.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere