Help me name an OC?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Goharotto

Help me name an OC?

Post by Son Goharotto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 am

I've hit the point in my What If? fanfic when it's time to introduce Raditz's daughter, but I'm terrible at names and I may have fallen into analysis paralysis. So I narrowed it down to three options and I'm putting it to you fine folks for feedback:
  • Idako

Anagram of the kana for daikon, sans ん. My thought process was literally just "it's a type of radish." Sounds like an actual Japanese name, but is distinct enough to be pretty well search optimized (lol). In fact, the only notable thing which pops up is Chuka Idako, or Seasoned Baby Octopus (but that's not relevant to her name pun or general character design). The first one I thought of and I keep coming back to it, but something about it feels inadequate.
  • Sukiretto/Sukiret

Mutation of skirret, a taproot vegetable like the burdock, carrot, and radish. Reminiscent of Kakarotto/Kakarot, but maybe too much so? She can insist on being called "Suki" instead, which plays into her conflicted feelings about being half-Saiyan. Broly might end up being her personal rival, like Vegeta was for Goku throughout Z, and this gives him something familiar to yell (wwwww). But is "Suki" too common-sounding a name to feel like it belongs in Dragon Ball? I'm trying to imagine what it'd look like at the top of the screen in FighterZ...
  • Rani

Anagram of nira, the Japanese word for leek. Whereas most Saiyans have names that are puns of English vegetables, Gine is a notable exception for taking her name from negi, the Japanese word for spring onion. Raditz can name his daughter in this fashion to honor his mother and hope for his daughter to also be a kind, nuturing Saiyan. (Sorry, pops, she's a fighter too.) Also has the advantage of being alliterative with her parents, Raditz and Launch (Ranchi), the same way Goku's kids are with him (which appeals to my OCD). Irrespective of nothing, Rani is a common Hindi name, IRL.
Thoughts?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Help me name an OC?

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 am

Is the mother an Earthling? Than you need to go with a pun on the mother's name instead.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 am

Kela. Fits the K-theme of Kakarotto, is an anagram of Kale, and the anagram "leak" is a homophone of Leek. All things Toriyama would love to use.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am

I like Sukiret the most, and you can keep her name just like that, without trimming it down to Suki, which is more common. Each name has its unique traits though. I confess that if there was a three faced coin I would have tossed it.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 am

I love also Sukiret with the Suki part that she can play with, Suki that is use as in daisuki like I love you. A double pun you can make her.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Son Goharotto

Post by Son Goharotto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 am Is the mother an Earthling? Than you need to go with a pun on the mother's name instead.
It's Lunch/Launch. What makes you think it should be a pun on the mother's name? Because of Trunks and Bra? I think that's more a result of Vegeta and Bulma's relationship dynamic.

Some background on the story is that Raditz was raised on Earth (instead of Kakarot) from the age of 3. His rough edges have been mostly sanded down, but he's still proud of his heritage, so he would have insisted on a Saiyan name. When his daughter takes over as the protagonist, part of the story I want to tell with her is how she comes to grips with the 'problematic' reality of her father's people.
Brikikoz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 am Kela. Fits the K-theme of Kakarotto, is an anagram of Kale, and the anagram "leak" is a homophone of Leek. All things Toriyama would love to use.
I plan on running this fic all the way through to Super, when the actual Kale is going to appear, so that doesn't really appeal to me, but thanks for the suggestion.
Desassina wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am I like Sukiret the most, and you can keep her name just like that, without trimming it down to Suki, which is more common. Each name has its unique traits though. I confess that if there was a three faced coin I would have tossed it.
Yeah, part of why I have trouble deciding is that they all feel equally viable.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 am I love also Sukiret with the Suki part that she can play with, Suki that is use as in daisuki like I love you. A double pun you can make her.
That's two votes for Sukiret! The daisuki pun occured to me as well, although I now try to avoid incorporating random Japanese phrases, like my weaboo self of old. :lol:

I'm also leaning towards the spelling "Sukirret" in the same way that I spell Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarrot" to preserve the source pun. Do you think that affects the 'balance' of the name? (Sorry if that's too esoteric a question.) For the sake of consistency, I only use the official localized spellings when I'm talking about the canon versions of these characters.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am

I think I like Rani the best.
Caulifla best girl! :)