Dragon Ball Super: Mastered Edition (RECUT)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Mastered Edition (RECUT)

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:14 pm

A few technical pointers:

- You're much better off using CRF encoding than specifying a single constant bitrate. The former is much more efficient, and will prevent bloated file sizes. For example, this encode uses 10,000 kb/s, but with the aforementioned technique, you'll end up with averages of less than half that without any quality loss.

- Most critically, make sure both your editing sequence and the final encode are the same as your source files (23.976fps). Without that, you'll end up with judder during panning which is currently present in your 25fps encode.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm

No problem. Seems promising so far!

Best of luck :)

Deadtuber.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:36 pm

I'm about to render the first episode (corrected) and the second episode. At the same time, I am developing an extra short film of Fukkatsu no F and the episode of the fight between Goku and Hit. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to put Super Saiyan God in the fight, something I wanted, but due to my lack of talent with animation and art, it ended up sounding amateurish and out of step with the rest of the episode. So, the solution will be to use Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan Blue as an asset.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:49 am

Tomorrow, corrected episode 1 will be released and the episode 2 will be released on Friday.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:38 pm

SUMMARY OF THE FIRST EPISODE:

Opening

I slightly edited the opening to suit what I wanted for Super. Existing two clothes for Goku in the same opening is confusing and gives the impression that there have been episodes before and that the opening has undergone new versions. In my edition, I added excerpts from Beerus / Whis and Freeza and their army to contextualize the series to the two previous films.

Goku and Vegeta training in heavy clothes

Until the moment that Champa arrives on the planet, the scene remained the same.

Awakening of Beerus and the encounter with Champa.

I decided to cut Beerus’s awakening because it looks redundant and silly, just like Champa is not recognized by his brother.

Champa proposes a tournament.

The whole sequence of the scene in the castle of Beerus begins from the moment the "delicious food" that Champa had brought is presented. The scene remains unchanged.

Bulma summons Shenlong

The scene with the dragon balls is problematic for chronological reasons and serves no purpose for the general story. This entire sequence has been deleted.

The creation of the tournament arena.

The scene is 90% as it was before. Except for removing the scene from Champa eating some sweets. I removed it due to the duration of the episode (23:06).

Monaka is mentioned by Beerus.

I removed the Omen of Victory sequence, although I like the song, it turns Goku into a crazy child to face warriors. However, a small excerpt of Goku enthusiastically (beyond what was necessary) remained for editing reasons and that it would be impossible to remove, however, in my view it was not so stupid.

Ending

I chose Forever Dreaming because it is consistent with the whole arc. (Universe 6 appears in it.)

Next Episode Preview.

Scenes that won't be in the next episode have been removed - Jaco's plot and the destruction of the asteroid.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:15 am

That sounds very interesting. :)

Though, if you uploaded a fixed episode 1, note that your download link in the first page is broken.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:07 am

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am

I'm currently working on the Kikuchi Cut for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F for the most nostalgic fans. And at the same time, I'm working on episode 2 and the subtitles for episode 1.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Nice!

I took a look at episode 1. Looks like good work, though I have a hard time without subtitles. (I really don't like Funi's dubbing, and don't speak Japanese or Portuguese)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 pm

This week I will post the subtitles in English. 😀

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Not sure if you saw and want to do your own one anyway, but myself and a few others produced our own Kikuchi cut a little while ago - viewtopic.php?t=36698

Deadtuber.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:47 pm

It would be an honor. I really like the musical choices of this cut! I just didn't decide to use it because I think it could be a problem. :D

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:51 pm

I just need to edit the Brazilian dub of the film. :thumbup:

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:18 am

The project looks really promising and amazing so far!! Please keep it up! Can I please request to include chapters on the episodes and films? Something like (for the episodes):
"Opening Theme", "Previous Episode Recap", "Title", "Part A", "Eyecatch", "Part B", "Ending Theme", "Next Episode Preview".

The films need to have a different pattern though.

It would be really cool to have chapters for a huge series like Dragon Ball!

Also, some questions:

1) Do you encode the video on 1920x1080p Hi10 (10-bit) h.264 resolution? I would advise you to do so as it's the most ideal setting.
2) For the 3 audios do you have them as Bluray quality in FLAC format? That's the best one.
3) For the subs can you please convert them to .ass format, style them and create a Signs/Songs track? Overall 2 tracks: one for the whole episode and one for Sings/Songs/Title one. Is that doable please?

If you could manage to apply those 3 things then the release would be 100% perfect!

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you very much and I'm glad you liked it! :)

Answering your questions:

1. Yes, this is the encoding that the video is in.

2. The Japanese and English versions were taken from Bluray, but the Brazilian version, from my country, was taken from the broadcast on the Cartoon network, as there is no release yet.

3. I have no experience with subtitles, but I intend to make it available until Friday for those who watch the show with the original audio.

I didn't get it right. Do you want me to turn the films (Battle of Gods and Resurrection F) into episodes?

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:17 pm

1. Awesome news!! Glad to hear that the video is in optimal quality!

2. Ah, I see. Makes sense then. Still, really nice to have the Brazilian audio even if it's the TV version. Though, please make sure to take the TrueHD (THD) audio from the Bluray and convert it to FLAC.

Here's a guide:
http://www.hootech.com/formats/flac/con ... o-flac.htm

3.Hmm, yeah I see your point. It would be nice to recruit a subs expert to do the subs work for you. A useful program is Aegisub though. I could find a useful guide for you if you want. Nevertheless, the next best thing would be .pgs subs ripped straight from the BDs and timed to your edited video.

Here's a useful guide on how to convert subs (the guide converts them to .ssa but simply choose .ass instead):
https://m.afterdawn.com/guides/convert_ ... idx_to_ssa

And here's a useful guide on how to style/edit your converted .ass subs:
https://www.vlchelp.com/change-subtitle ... ize-color/

No, BoG and R'F' should be how you want, deem and intend to release them. If you want them as films then great. I meant the chapters that come along with the BDs. Every BD comes with chapters, and by that I mean segments that divide the video into parts. You can use the already existing chapters from BDs and simply re-name them how you want (though the pattern I suggested above should be efficient) or make your own chapters, time them properly and name them to your preference.

Here's a useful guide on how to add/make chapters:
https://blog.programster.org/add-chapters-to-mkv-file

Again, if you do manage to apply those things for the audios, subs and chapters then I 100% guarantee you that your release will be one of the best and most thorough ones! :)

EDIT: Though, for consistensy purposes I would advise you to make BoG and R'F' into episodes since all your other sagas from DB, DBZ/Kai and DBS will be anime episodes, it would be best to do the same for those two too in my opinion.
Last edited by Goku1085 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks! :D

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm

No problem mate! I fully support your project all the way and hope those guides help you apply those changes to the audios, chapters and subtitles so you can optimize the ending results! Please feel free to ask any questions if you want as I want the project to be as good as possible! :)

EDIT: And one small tip by the way, make sure to put the English audio as the default one (the Japanese as second and the Brazilian as third) and if you do manage to figure out the subs, the Signs/Songs track as the default one and the Full Episode subs as the second one.

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 pm

Truly sorry for re-posting, but just remembered one important detail and that is file naming. I would strongly recommend following this pattern:

• For the folders:
[group tag] anime name (source / resolution / bits / audio codec) [Dual-Audio]

e.g.
[Nova_Era] Dragon Ball Super - Mastered Edition (RECUT) (BD 1080p Hi10 FLAC) [Tri-Audio]

I took the liberty on suggesting a name for you after taking inspiration from your site! :D I think it's quite catchy, but of course you're free to choose what you want! :)

• For the individual files:
[group tag] anime name - episode number (source / resolution / bits / audio codec) <--- I do not include the [tri-audio] tag for the actual files

e.g.
[Nova_Era] Dragon Ball Super - Mastered Edition (RECUT) - 001 (BD 1080p Hi10 FLAC) [CRC].mkv

Of course, one vital detail is to include CRC (Cyclical Redundancy Check - they're basically 8 digits) on all of your files by running them to this program after you finalize them. It's really simple:
https://www.altap.cz/salamander/feature ... te-verify/

• For the video track (you can name it using mkvtoolnix):
source / resolution / bits [group tag]

e.g.
BD 1080p 10bit [Nova_Era]

• For the audio tracks (you can name them using mkvtoolnix):
language / amount of channels / audio codec <--- no group credit necessary here, though if there's multiple types of English dubs you may want to credit the source in brackets like [Funimation dub] or [Ocean dub]

e.g.
English 5.1 FLAC
Japanese 2.0 FLAC
Japanese 2.0 AC-3
Japanese 5.1 AAC
etc

• For the subtitles tracks (you can name them using mkvtoolnix):
''Signs & Songs'' or ''Full Subtitles [group tag]''

e.g.
Signs & Songs
Full Subtitles [Nova_Era]

• For the chapters (you can name them using mkvtoolnix):
Prologue / Opening / Part A / Part B / Ending / Epilogue / Preview

Chapter language doesn't matter, as long as it's consistent and the same everywhere. Obviously, some episodes might not have prologues, openings or epilogues. It all depends on the episode. Above is just what I use for actual naming. In the case of older series like Dragon Ball you might have Part C or Part D, as there's usually more ''breaks'' throughout the episode. And just to clarify: a prologue always happens before the opening and an epilogue always happens after the ending.

I know it's been too much, but trust me it's simplier than you think if you give them a shot and you'll achieve perfect consistency on your project! Hope I helped. Feel free to ask me anything mate! :) I hope that you'll take my suggestions into consideration! ;)