Dragon Ball Z: FUNimation Cut

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z: FUNimation Cut

Post by DBSEng » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 am

I should start this off by saying..

Dragon Ball is Owned by TOEI ANIMATION, Ltd. and Licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Super and all logos, character names and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of TOEI ANIMATION, Ltd.

That being said I have been working on my own little passion project for the fans of the original FUNimation English dub for DBZ these last couple of months. My project Dragon Ball Z:FUNimation Cut will be (hopefully) the ideal way to watch for the fans of the original dub.

The project includes the following:
-Cuts out "most" filler from the series (I decided to leave in small filler such as Vegeta and Nappas attack on Aralia and iconic filler like Piccolo and Goku getting their drivers license)
-Includes footage from the R2J Dragon Box synced with the remastered English Dub from the Orange Bricks
-Includes original Faulconer Productions score starting at episode 42
-For episodes 1-64 I kept the original Ocean Dub "Rock The Dragon" Intro and outro; for the rest of the series I used the Faulconer ones
-The first 42 episodes include the Nathan Johnson score

That's about all there is to know! I have the following seasons done at the time I am posting this..
Saiyan Saga: Completed
Frieza Saga: Completed
Cell Saga: Completed
Buu Saga:WIP

I won't be sharing the project publicly just yet as I haven't gotten anywhere near completing it. I also probably will not be sharing the sayain saga portion of the project (just yet) due to me having to re-edit a huge chunk of it. So, if you wanted to take a look at it PM me and I'll send you a link. I also don't plan on having a release date for anything so I'll do a full scale release when the projects done.

So, that's basically everything I have for you guys. Stay tuned for future releases!
Last edited by DBSEng on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm "Dragon Ball Super English Dub" (Weird name huh)
YouTube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-T-d ... DJdMCUUJyg
My current project is- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44656
Discord- https://discord.gg/vQ8V8z

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z: FUNimation Cut

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 am

Awesome i've been waiting for something like this! Let me just say I wish you all the best.

If it were me i'd be using audio from the DVD singles myself since the Orange Bricks for some weird reason removed all the voice-filters for characters that had them in the original broadcasts/releases resulting in some voices sounding off and I wouldn't be trimming any filler, but nevertheless i'm very interested to see how this project turns out.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 am Awesome i've been waiting for something like this! Let me just say I wish you all the best.

If it were me i'd be using audio from the DVD singles myself since the Orange Bricks for some weird reason removed all the voice-filters for characters that had them in the original broadcasts/releases resulting in some voices sounding off and I wouldn't be trimming any filler, but nevertheless i'm very interested to see how this project turns out.
Well, the original plan of the project was to use the audio from the original DVD singles but when it came down to the saiyain saga (which had obviously not been originally dubbed by FUNimation group) I resorted to their re-dub. I thought about going with the original DVD singles once FUNimation stepped in but I felt it really broke the flow of the series when it came to some character voices and Kyle Herbert as the narrator. I do plan on using voice-filter audio clips from the original (like them being in the Room of Spirit and Time/Hyperbolic Time Chamber).

As for the filler... I had initially planned on the project being my own little version to watch the series for myself but figured maybe someone else would enjoy it. I found myself cutting out most of the filler because every time I had watched the series for myself I found myself losing interest over how long some of the story arcs were drawn out. I didn't turn to Kai either because quite frankly I'm not a huge fan of the various voice changes or the OST re-score. So, I hope to create a (sort of) Kai experience out of Z using the original Funi dub and music.

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Hey guys!

As of today I've completed the entirety of the cell saga! Now it's time to move on to the Great Saiyaman Saga! As always, if you are interested in seeing the project in it's current form shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link.

I'll keep you guys updated when the Buu Saga has been completed.

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Hello again everyone! I thought I'd just put out a quick few updates regarding the project...

1) First off I'd like to say that I am about 45% done with the project. So, there is still a lot of work to be done! I just finished (as of writing this) re-editing the entirety of the saiyan saga with this time the unfinished 'Level Set' releases. After the saiyan saga I will continue to use the Dragon Boxes.

2) Now after redoing a little bit of the Namek saga I started to really think about how much I prefer Chris Aryes portrayal of Frieza over Linda Young's. This might be kind of controversial to the project but I may try to replace Frieza's original lines in Dragon Ball Z with Chris Aryes's in Kai. I realize that a lot of people do prefer Young's voice over Aryes's and I do apologize if this is a bit on an inconvenience towards the project.

Alright, that's about all I've got for right now. Stay tuned for more upcoming developments!

BronzeGreekGod

Post by BronzeGreekGod » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm

DBSEng wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 am I should start this off by saying..

Dragon Ball is Owned by TOEI ANIMATION, Ltd. and Licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Super and all logos, character names and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of TOEI ANIMATION, Ltd.

That being said I have been working on my own little passion project for the fans of the original FUNimation English dub for DBZ these last couple of months. My project Dragon Ball Z:FUNimation Cut will be (hopefully) the ideal way to watch for the fans of the original dub.

The project includes the following:
-Cuts out "most" filler from the series (I decided to leave in small filler such as Vegeta and Nappas attack on Aralia and iconic filler like Piccolo and Goku getting their drivers license)
-Includes footage from the R2J Dragon Box synced with the remastered English Dub from the Orange Bricks
-Includes original Faulconer Productions score starting at episode 42
-For episodes 1-64 I kept the original Ocean Dub "Rock The Dragon" Intro and outro; for the rest of the series I used the Faulconer ones
-The first 42 episodes include the Nathan Johnson score

That's about all there is to know! I have the following seasons done at the time I am posting this..
Saiyan Saga: Completed
Frieza Saga: Completed
Cell Saga: Completed
Buu Saga:WIP

I won't be sharing the project publicly just yet as I haven't gotten anywhere near completing it. I also probably will not be sharing the sayain saga portion of the project (just yet) due to me having to re-edit a huge chunk of it. So, if you wanted to take a look at it PM me and I'll send you a link. I also don't plan on having a release date for anything so I'll do a full scale release when the projects done.

So, that's basically everything I have for you guys. Stay tuned for future releases!
This project sounds amazing! i cant wait to see it completed.

I have ONE question/suggestion. Have you seen TheMaestros faulconer re scoring of the sayan saga? (hes eventually gona rescore all the way up to episode 67). If possible, it would be phenominal if you could use those episodes and recut them to take out the filler as well. That would create more cohesiveness to the final project.

Let me know what you think!

BronzeGreekGod

Post by BronzeGreekGod » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:19 am

Is this ded?

blueprintchris

Post by blueprintchris » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Bump. Did this ever get finished? :D

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 am

Honestly, I’ve got about 30% of this edit completed somewhere on my hard drive. If anybody wants it I’d be happy to share. Don’t really remember where I left off but I remember I had done a good amount of episodes completely removing the Linda Young Frezia and replacing it with Chris Ares. That was a real pain to do I remember, probably the reason I never continued with this edit.

Cosenza

Post by Cosenza » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:08 pm

DBSEng wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 am Honestly, I’ve got about 30% of this edit completed somewhere on my hard drive. If anybody wants it I’d be happy to share. Don’t really remember where I left off but I remember I had done a good amount of episodes completely removing the Linda Young Frezia and replacing it with Chris Ares. That was a real pain to do I remember, probably the reason I never continued with this edit.
I'm interested in it!! Could you please send it to me?

nward50987

Post by nward50987 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:30 pm

DBSEng wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 am Honestly, I’ve got about 30% of this edit completed somewhere on my hard drive. If anybody wants it I’d be happy to share. Don’t really remember where I left off but I remember I had done a good amount of episodes completely removing the Linda Young Frezia and replacing it with Chris Ares. That was a real pain to do I remember, probably the reason I never continued with this edit.
Can you send it to me as well? I'm also intrested.

BronzeGreekGod

Post by BronzeGreekGod » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:59 pm

I'm also interested!

BronzeGreekGod

Post by BronzeGreekGod » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:01 am

Didn't you say you had completed all the way to the sayaman saga? Or are you talking about something else here?

DarkRuler7

Post by DarkRuler7 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:17 am

Hi I am very interested too! :D

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:35 am

Hey Guys!

I'm back from another ridiculously long hiatus. I've had some free time these last couple of weeks so I decided to work a little more on this project. Everyone that's asked for a link I'll try to share it with you within the next few days. As I've gone back and watched a couple of the old episodes I edited together in 2020, I was a bit disappointed with what I ended up with.

My editing skills have definitely improved a bunch in the last couple of years so I do believe the quality will increase. So right now I'll share with you guys what I have and if I do end up finishing the rest of the episodes I'll share those too.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm

DBSEng wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:35 am Hey Guys!

I'm back from another ridiculously long hiatus. I've had some free time these last couple of weeks so I decided to work a little more on this project. Everyone that's asked for a link I'll try to share it with you within the next few days. As I've gone back and watched a couple of the old episodes I edited together in 2020, I was a bit disappointed with what I ended up with.

My editing skills have definitely improved a bunch in the last couple of years so I do believe the quality will increase. So right now I'll share with you guys what I have and if I do end up finishing the rest of the episodes I'll share those too.
Glad to hear it, this is a pretty interesting edit project. Might be wishful thinking but I really hope this gets finished some day.

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:45 am

Escavalien wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm

Glad to hear it, this is a pretty interesting edit project. Might be wishful thinking but I really hope this gets finished some day.
Have gone back the last couple of months and redid everything from scratch. Currently polishing up the Frieza Saga.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:10 pm

DBSEng wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:45 am
Escavalien wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm

Have gone back the last couple of months and redid everything from scratch. Currently polishing up the Frieza Saga.
That's really ambitious but great to hear. I'd love to give your version of Cell Saga a try if and once you finish it, since that's one of the sagas I think is better before kai.

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:03 pm

Hello everyone!

As of writing this post the edit is FINALLY 100% completed. I'm uploading it to MEGA right now as I type this. I'll make another post about it when it's fully uploaded!

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:12 am

Hello everyone! As of today Dragon Ball Z: FUNimation Cut has been fully completed and uploaded to MEGA. This project is a culmination of four years of my life working on this thing! It's still hard to believe it's completed. Anyways, here are the major changes by Saga that I've done throughout the project -

EDITS:

SAYAIN SAGA

- The intro and outro I used for the saga are the original Ocean Dub OP's and ED's

- Title Cards have been changed to better reflect original FUNimation episodes title cards.

- All filler cut from episodes except for: Vegeta and Nappa on Arlia, Krillin recruiting Yamcha to train at Kami's Lookout, the Tien and Launch episode.

-Certain frames removed to keep scenes moving along.

-All episodes rescored using the team behind the "Faulconer Re-Mix's" edit. You can find their work here!

-Other things sprinkled in here and there!

FRIEZA SAGA

- Intro and Outro carry over from the previous saga.

- Completely removes Linda Young as Frieza and uses Chris Ayres's performance from Dragon Ball Z Kai.

- Episodes 1-13 are rescored by me using Faulconer Productions tracks. The other episodes in the season are rescored in some areas that I felt needed it.

- 95% of filler has been removed from the saga.

CELL SAGA

- The intro and outro I used for the saga are the original FUNimation Dub OP's and ED's.

- Created an original episodes that features episodes from the Garlic Jr Saga.

- Included classic filler episode "Goku's Ordeal" (had to lol)

- Included all missing voice filters that were removed from the Remastered Orange Brick English Dub release.

BUU SAGA

- The intro and outro I used for the saga are the original FUNimation Dub OP's and ED's.

- Included all Great Saiyaman episodes except for one.

- Replaced the now "deleted scene" of Team Four Star's Cell games reenactment scene that was planned to be featured on Dragon Ball Z Kai.

- Kept "Celebrations with Majin Buu", "He's Always Late", and all the Peaceful World Tournament episodes intact.

- Created custom ending for the final three episodes using Kai's final ending.

- Included most missing voice filters that were removed from the Remastered Orange Brick English Dub release. (Kept Super Buu's voice without the filter. Personally believed it sounds better.)

PM for a link!

CHECK THESE GUYS OUT!

Special thanks to: Coycoy88, Marcelo's DBZ Music, Yashiro Alone [DBZ Music & SFX Revival], Rakeem's Re-Makes, and Arteaga 4K (This project could not have been made without you guys!)

Thank you guys again for all the support for this project, enjoy!