The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 pm Actually GT's ratings were pretty good, the problem was GT merchandise was not selling very well and in Japan ratings alone aren't good enough, they want everything associated with a property to do well. Geekdom summed it up pretty well on here(yes I know bagging on him is the trendy thing to do amongst some users on here, but he's not always wrong, certainly not in this case anyways): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7Zmwody7g
I'm having trouble tracking down solid numbers for ratings but everyone seems to agree that Buu Era Z was pulling in around 13.5% ratings (whatever that means. I guess that's the percentage of households watching?) and that GT was pulling in 14% for most of its run. Compared to Z's height of 25% it's likely the series was just out of steam by the time GT came into the picture. Looking through the reported tv rankings on anime news network those numbers are still pretty good. Easily placing GT in the top ten. So yeah while the series wasn't nearly as hype as it had been it still wasn't doing all that bad.

Does Geekdom have a specific citation for the merchandise figures? I know that's mostly true of modern day anime (why we have so much sugoi moe and inseki shit being produced) but was that really also true in 1996?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 pm Actually GT's ratings were pretty good, the problem was GT merchandise was not selling very well and in Japan ratings alone aren't good enough, they want everything associated with a property to do well. Geekdom summed it up pretty well on here(yes I know bagging on him is the trendy thing to do amongst some users on here, but he's not always wrong, certainly not in this case anyways): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7Zmwody7g
I'm having trouble tracking down solid numbers for ratings but everyone seems to agree that Buu Era Z was pulling in around 13.5% ratings (whatever that means. I guess that's the percentage of households watching?) and that GT was pulling in 14% for most of its run. Compared to Z's height of 25% it's likely the series was just out of steam by the time GT came into the picture. Looking through the reported tv rankings on anime news network those numbers are still pretty good. Easily placing GT in the top ten. So yeah while the series wasn't nearly as hype as it had been it still wasn't doing all that bad.

Does Geekdom have a specific citation for the merchandise figures? I know that's mostly true of modern day anime (why we have so much sugoi moe and inseki shit being produced) but was that really also true in 1996?
No, but he does additionally point out that the fact that GT did not have a Manga counterpart also played a part in it's divisive reception(since Manga is considered the core form of entertainment in Japan and everything else is just extra) and that DBZ's Manga sales had been going down since the Buu arc(mainly because Slam Dunk and Yu-Yu-Hakasho also both ended their long runs at the same time as DB did leading to Jump Magazine to experience a decline in sales until One Piece came out) so that contributed to somewhat the cold reception of GT.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

The only way to check the numbers would be to check the magazines at the time for the ratings numbers by episode as they always listed them. But that's a lot of work if you don't have the mags in question. I'll keep it in mind while I check through my mag collection but it'll be a "back burner" thing as I am too busy with other things at the moment...

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 pm

dougo13 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

The only way to check the numbers would be to check the magazines at the time for the ratings numbers by episode as they always listed them. But that's a lot of work if you don't have the mags in question. I'll keep it in mind while I check through my mag collection but it'll be a "back burner" thing as I am too busy with other things at the moment...
There was a thread here on this site that listed all the episode ratings and yes, the drop started during the Buu saga. GT's rating weren't that bad, but compared to what DBZ used to get it was considerably lower. I don't know anything about the merchandise of the GT brand, but I recall that the home release of GT was actually pretty successful.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 pm
dougo13 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

There was a thread here on this site that listed all the episode ratings and yes, the drop started during the Buu saga. GT's rating weren't that bad, but compared to what DBZ used to get it was considerably lower. I don't know anything about the merchandise of the GT brand, but I recall that the home release of GT was actually pretty successful.
I haven't dug out any of the mid 1990s mags but ones from '91 and '92 show DBZ had very good ratings, usually in the mid to upper 20s depending on the region, usually only surpassed by shows like Sazae San. Helped that this was the Future Trunks arc, which was extremely popular. I'll try to dig out some mid 1990s mags and have a look at numbers. I haven't found the numbers on the site but mags like Animage always listed them by region each month. Now where those numbers came from is a mystery to me. Perhaps they had a system similar to Neilson over there?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 pm

The problem with Geekdom, in this case, isn't that his information is obviously wrong (which is the problem with a lot of his news reporting), it's that he doesn't present a single source for his info, so you really have to dig to find out where he got his info.
Though most of it is taken from various Kanzenshuu interviews and episode guide listings, etc.

... Which is kinda interesting, given he talks about "I did extensive research and uncovered never-before-known info!!" type rhetoric at the beginning, despite this info being widely available to anyone who wants to take the time to look through the relevant articles on Kanzenshuu, which had been there for ages already. This and other things in the video imply that his video is an authoritative piece of original research; if that were true, it would be a rather poor presentation of that research, given how summative it is, but there's no effort to actually encourage anyone to look into it further; the video's sort of intended as the final word on the matter.

So...
It's a good video, yes, but it's academically poor, because it's very difficult to do your own follow-up research based on what you find out there. Similar to how his "Journalism" is full of holes, and shows a clear lack of any real journalistic training, his academic videos show a clear lack of any real training to attain good academic practice.

So, even though it's a good video, it's fair to rag on him in this case, at least. (Provided the ragging is, for instance, reasoned criticism of his academic practice, rather than, say, childish personal attacks, of course; I'm sure he's a really nice dude, and even if he wasn't, there's no excuse for rudeness)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 am

I don't think anything went wrong, as much as 2 things went right: The massive success of Broly, and the phenomenal fan reception to the TOP's last 2 episodes. In South America, there were some public showings of those last 2 episodes that had fans cheering and celebrating the final battle as if it was the best thing since Pizza. Broly not only became DB's highest grossing movie, not only did it become Toei's highest grossing movie, it became the 12th highest grossing anime movie ever released.

I think Broly's success and the TOP's last 2 episodes made Toei, Toriyama, and everyone else involved realize that when DB is done right, when it's at the top of its game, it's second to none, both in terms of fan reception and financial results.

The powers at be may have decided instead of putting out something that's just good in 2019 (that was the plan), they were going to take their time and only put something out when they knew it's near perfect. I think they want every main DB product to be as financially successful as Broly, and as celebrated as the TOP's last 2 episodes. Whatever $$$ they lose from now until they release said product will be more than made up for by the time it's released.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 am

No need to dig through old magazines and books; we’ve already done that for you. Ratings for every single episode have been available in full on our website(s) since Kanzentai pre-fusion. See-

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/dbz/list/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:18 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 am No need to dig through old magazines and books; we’ve already done that for you. Ratings for every single episode have been available in full on our website(s) since Kanzentai pre-fusion. See-

Ah!

I completely missed the page that had all GT's ratings, I'd only seen the arc-by-arc breakdowns, which have the average ratings (there's no full episode pages for most of GT; I'd only seen the episode-by-episode ratings on the individual episode pages, so I assumed the episode-by-episode ratings data for GT was just not available. Shows what I get for not asking around before coming to a conclusion, I guess :lol:).

The one thing I do wonder is this, though -- does Kanzenshuu have info on manga sales?
I hear that for the original Jump magazine release, they had an audience poll system to get a "rating", though I've never seen the data on this. And presumably there's Tankobon sales data somewhere. So I wonder if Kanzenshuu has these somewhere?

Been a while since I saw that Geekdom video, but I recall he said something about manga sales, but -- again -- he didn't cite any source, so I have no idea where he got his info.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:55 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:18 amI hear that for the original Jump magazine release, they had an audience poll system to get a "rating", though I've never seen the data on this.
They still have that poll system. It's used to determine which series is clicking with fans and what isn't. If you can't make it to the top within 3-4 months, your series is cancelled. Back in the day though, things were a bit more easy going as despite DB's ratings being low during its first arc, Toriyama was still allowed to continue and make changes to push it up. Had DB been released today, it may have gotten cancelled after its first arc. Tankobon sales are also taken into account while deciding a series future, as good poll numbers won't save a series that isn't selling well. If a series has good poll number and good tankobon sales, it gets an anime and other forms of media and merchandise.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:55 am
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:18 amI hear that for the original Jump magazine release, they had an audience poll system to get a "rating", though I've never seen the data on this.
They still have that poll system. It's used to determine which series is clicking with fans and what isn't. If you can't make it to the top within 3-4 months, your series is cancelled. Back in the day though, things were a bit more easy going as despite DB's ratings being low during its first arc, Toriyama was still allowed to continue and make changes to push it up. Had DB been released today, it may have gotten cancelled after its first arc. Tankobon sales are also taken into account while deciding a series future, as good poll numbers won't save a series that isn't selling well. If a series has good poll number and good tankobon sales, it gets an anime and other forms of media and merchandise.
Given how gigantic Doctor Slump is, I think Shueisha gave him a lot more slack than they'd have given most authors. I imagine most other authors would've had their series cancelled in his shoes. Either that, or the editors would've had him pivot it to a different style far sooner than he did.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 am No need to dig through old magazines and books; we’ve already done that for you. Ratings for every single episode have been available in full on our website(s) since Kanzentai pre-fusion. See-

Thank you. Where did the ratings numbers come from though? Like I said, the mags ratings were done by region so were these listed a national rating? Interesting to note was the high numbers on the first episodes of DB, almost 30%! And it stayed that way for most of the first year.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Watched it all. Was like going through some crazy Vietnam flashbacks. What an ordeal. I left a comment, but I'll just repost the general sentiment here:

It's largely a good video, but I disagree with the "One Piece is to blame" conclusion. The One Piece TV series definitely had nothing to do with it, since there's no crossover in staff there beyond Nagamine who was never working on any DBS sequel in the first place (he said as much in an interview). Now that Stampede is out and it's possible to see how much everyone did, there's no way there was any last-minute shifting of staff there. All the big boys from DB did so much that there's not a chance they were pulled into that movie last minute. It's so not feasible.

Some info that wasn't included in the video but I have shared before: Kitaro was supposed to end last year but ended up being extended - that was info provided by a staff member on the show. No idea when it was decided that they'd continue it onward, but if there were ever any plans for it to be replaced again by Super, they must have happened and been scrapped a long time ago. As far as World Trigger and Dragon Quest go, they're comprised of Super's staff, so there's straight up nothing in production for a DB TV anime.

The last word I have heard on anything DB-related was from a DBS writer who said:

"When we started Dragon Ball Super, Toei Animation thought it could be made easily. Because they have made it before and have succeeded. But that was a mistake. They did not make enough preparations, which caused trouble many times. And they negatively affected the overall quality. As you know, the quality of Dragon Ball Super was low. Three story arcs were needed to rebuild it. Toei Animation has learned a lesson. Dragonball is not an easy title, so it cannot be made without enough preparation. They need to have enough time to make it again. Please think positively that this year is absolutely necessary for preparation."

So yeah, wouldn't expect anything for a long while. Nobody available, on slots available. F in the chat, boys.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:37 pm

There must be more to it than just Toei wanting to avoid past mistakes.

They have had plenty of time to work on a new movie or show behind the scenes, but now the staff has been employed on other shows and they seem to have their hands full with the soon to be released Digimon and Dragon Quest so exactly what are they waiting for before they start working on a new Dragon Ball show? And why wouldn’t they make a movie during all this time.

In my opinion the decision to not bring Super back wasn’t Toei. Toei most likely really started to work on a new show back after Broly’s production was over, and they most likely really did mean to have a long production to ensure good quality. They even created a Dragon Ball-only department, so it’s, or was, for sure a big priority for them.
But then something else must have happened. Maybe Toriyama indeed hasn’t written a new story yet, or at least hasn’t since a while back when a staff member from Toei said that this was the reason Super didn’t come back (and added that Toei wanted to avoid another GT situation). Maybe Toei intended to retell Broly at first but then decided not to. Or they were doing their original story and Toriyama stopped them.

Or maybe they are waiting for Toyotaro’s manga to go forward so that they animate it? My theory is that Toriyama now wants to only supervise Toyotaro’s stories and give some ideas, so as not to write outlines by himself. And of course Toyotaro is also supported by the Dragon Ball Room which maybe has a lot of input on the story serialized right now. Toriyama also praised Toyotaro many times so it would make sense for him to trust Toyotaro on being a big player in continuing Super.
Toriyama jokingly said that maybe with the Dragon Ball Room he won’t have to do anything. Maybe it’s really come to the point he just has to supervise the manga as he fully trusts the Room and Toyotaro to do the heavy lifting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 pm

All very good points, I think it's a combination of all of those factors.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 pm

This week Masaki Sato in the event he went to answered the question about a sequel to Super and confirms that they are working on a continuation but it is not known whether in TV series or movie format.

https://asapland.com/masaki-sato-reveal ... mat/26832/

Not knowing the format, it is clear that by saying that they are working it will mean that they are simply planning, not producing anything.

It is more likely that the following is a movie to a series. World Trigger I don't think it will last a hundred chapters and I think that even if it was still on broadcast, it could take the production with Super.

The problem is Dragon Quest. It is impossible that there is Super TV series with Dragon Quest in production. The worst of this is that this series has content for more than 100 chapters.

Is Toei really going to leave Dragon Ball without a TV series for 3 more years? It is total madness.
It doesn't matter if Japan thinks otherwise. It is the most profitable franchise worldwide with a lot of difference. It is the anime version of Marvel at the level of popularity and economic benefits.

It makes no sense to reach the highest point of popularity in the saga of the tournament of power, thanks to that take out the film of Broly and exploit the box office worldwide. And then leave the animated franchise dead several years.

Toriyama? I don't think his participation in the anime was so great. You just have to compare the manga and anime of the tournament of power. They look very little. It's been 2 years since Broly's screenplay was released. And they have to adapt the Moro saga that gives animated material for a minimum of 30 episodes.
Toriyama would have more than 2 years to think about a story in general and detail some character designs. It seems a lot of time for the little work I would have to do.

A movie? Has no sense. In the manga Toyotaro makes it clear that after Broly begins the saga of Moro. They cannot adapt this saga in a movie because it is quite long and it makes no sense to cut content when in the past they remade the 2 movies in anime to stretch the gum.

All this is very very rare and commercially makes no sense at all.

No one in their right mind would stop for several years a franchise that is at its highest point commercially. No one.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:43 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:22 pmGiven how gigantic Doctor Slump is, I think Shueisha gave him a lot more slack than they'd have given most authors. I imagine most other authors would've had their series cancelled in his shoes. Either that, or the editors would've had him pivot it to a different style far sooner than he did.
Masashi Kishimoto's new manga, Samurai 8, just got cancelled after 43 chapters, despite Naruto's popularity (which is way higher than Dr Slump ever was). I think this proves that no matter who's writing it, a manga won't last in Jump if it doesn't come out of the gate running. On the plus side, this ensures that only the best is published in Jump, but with such strict expectations, I believe a good number of stories get axed before they have a chance to shine, resulting in us missing out on potential hits. This is an unfortunate side effect of having so many popular titles, expectations keep getting higher. When DB was being published, Jump had nowhere near as many hits as they do now, which is why Toriyama was allowed to make as many mistakes as he did (which weren't many). Nowadays though, one mistake is enough to kill your chances within the magazine. When it comes to Samurai 8, I think one thing that hurt it was Kishimoto's name, as expectations were simply too high to live up to.

Aragami

Post by Aragami » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks.. cool video... I missed most of this infos... I just followed most of it trough Youtube videos... I hope we see an announcement before 2021...

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 am

Well, it seems that there are interesting news about a possible return of the series in 2021, totally independent of the production of Dragon Quest Dai.

The user @animeajay has been analyzing the animation of Digimon in these episodes and the staff of animators who are part of this series.
Much of the Digimon staff was part of the Super production.
- Masato Mitsuka (director), Masashi Yamada, Atsushi Nikaido, Hitoshi Inaba, Hirotaka Nii, Ryo Onishi, Naoki Tate, Natoshi Shida, Kitano ...
All these staff have been working at Super and are at Digimon. Shida has also been animating a scene from One Piece and now Digimon, which means that he can contribute to the 2 series.

Apart from this staff, there are also several Gegege No Kitaro animators.

Taking into account that Digimon has a duration of 50-55 episodes per series, this new series will end at the latest in June 2021.

Remember that Dragon Quest Dai is released this year so it will NOT occupy the Digimon slot and will be broadcast on another channel.

Therefore, if Digimon ends at the latest in June and most of the staff are Dragon Ball people, there are chances that the series will return for July 2021 while maintaining the Digimon staff. :think:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 amIf Digimon ends at the latest in June and most of the staff are Dragon Ball people, there are chances that the series will return for July 2021 while maintaining the Digimon staff. :think:
It seems like all we've been doing for the past year and a half is guessing when it'll be back, with each speculated date ending up in disappointment. With all the rumors going around, I wish someone official would just say what's going on. At this rate a movie is more likely to be released before, as they've actually talked about it.