Plague of Gripes- Gohan's Many Masks

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Plague of Gripes- Gohan's Many Masks

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:19 am

The ranty guy from that Japan Doesn't Like Tien video except he's a lot less ranty and a bit more even handed.

Gohan's Many Masks

The video goes over the character of Gohan as he appears in the series, speculates as to why so many fans are drawn to him, and spends a good chunk of time speculating as to what a more "complete" character arc for Gohan would have looked like.

I think he's way off on some things (when it comes to empowerment fantasies Vegeta is a much more obvious example than Gohan) but overall I like his criticism and I love his version of adult Gohan. One of the things that annoys me about Z-era Dragon Ball is that no one's relationship to fighting is explained. Unlike in Dragon Ball where we had a good idea why different characters pursued martial arts (Krillin's self doubt, Roshi's desire to preserve the sense of wonder his students felt, Tenshinhan's pride demanding he win fights fairly), the warriors in Z mostly just fight because someone's threatening them. So I really appreciate the idea of Gohan wedding his scholastic nature with combat.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Plague of Gripes- Gohan's Many Masks

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:14 pm

a lot of great Gohan Analysis and interpretations coming out, between this video, Totally Not Mark, and I'll even throw in DBZA's characterization of a whole on Gohan, and Dragonball Dissection entering the Buu Saga.

For this video, Plague of Gripes definitely knows how to make a person think. Lots of great information and a different way to look at Gohan.