DBS Broly Prologue Fix [Attempt] + More

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

DBS Broly Prologue Fix [Attempt] + More

Post by Hobby Bill » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 am

Let's face it guys, DB minus and DBS Broly did Bardock dirty. Most of the fans would have preferred if the opening act of Broly didn't alter Goku's origin. I have two goals for this project.

Goal 1: Make DBS Broly's prologue more faithful to the Father of Goku special.

Goal 2: To remove callbacks to the expanded lore of Super so that the film can stand on its own. Essentially making Super irrelevant.

For goal 2, I wanted to make it so that newcomers can watch BOG, ROF, then Broly, without having to watch Super. Doing so in an acceptable manner involves making an OVA style episode between ROF and Broly to explain a couple of things that I showcase in the video.

Showcasing the edits:
https://streamable.com/v7vji

More:

I want to extend Goal 2 from above onto the entirety of the post-Buu content. I don't like Super that much, but it has some good ideas. I want to keep the good stuff and get rid of ideas that were poorly executed.

In my ideal world, watching the post-Buu content would look something like this:

1) Yo Son Goku
2) Battle of Gods
3) Ressurection F (Preferably Super Cut by AnimeAjay)
4) An OVA style episode to bridge ROF with Broly
5) DBS Broly (The version I'm trying to create)

BOG has a single reference to the expanded lore which I can easily cut out (and seamlessly too). ROF Super Cut is perfect, besides a preview post-credits that shows Champa. I cut out the last 57 seconds of the MKV using TsMuxer and it solved it.

As for the OVA, it must feature Goku meeting and fighting 17. It also needs to showcase Goku resurrecting Freeza. Doing this convincingly (without referencing TOP) is tricky but I have a few ideas that may work, we'll wait and see. Combining these two plot points with some other cool bits from Super may be really fun to watch.

Special thanks to Grimlock and Skar for the idea.

Skar
I Live Here

Re: DBS Broly Prologue Fix [Attempt] + More

Post by Skar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 am

Great job :thumbup: ! I loved most of DBS: Broly but don't like Minus at all so I wouldn't mind seeing the beginning replaced with the original Bardock special. It's interesting how you could turn the three movies into a trilogy just by explaining how Freeza was resurrected again. It might be possible to combine RoF and Broly since Freeza going to Earth and dying again wasn't really necessary to progress the story. Freeza's henchmen resurrect him like in RoF and tell him about a powerful Saiyan they discovered while scouting for new planets or something then DBS: Broly continues from there.

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 am Great job :thumbup: !
Thanks!
I loved most of DBS: Broly but don't like Minus at all so I wouldn't mind seeing the beginning replaced with the original Bardock special.
I was tempted to do so, but since it's from the 90's it would stick out pretty badly. That and cropping made it a no go from me. The clip from Episode of Bardock gets the job done I think. I tinted the clip a bit red, added in the energy ball SFX (even in the movie shots), and added in Bardock's "Kakkorot!" line from Kai ep 1.
It might be possible to combine RoF and Broly since Freeza going to Earth and dying again wasn't really necessary to progress the story. Freeza's henchmen resurrect him like in RoF and tell him about a powerful Saiyan they discovered while scouting for new planets or something then DBS: Broly continues from there.
I see where you are going. I'm afraid there isn't the right material to make it believable. Plus doing so would negate Super entirely, which is not my goal. I want to preserve some good moments. Plus I would have to remove even more scenes from Broly to make that work.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Hobby Bill wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pmI was tempted to do so, but since it's from the 90's it would stick out pretty badly. That and cropping made it a no go from me. The clip from Episode of Bardock gets the job done I think. I tinted the clip a bit red, added in the energy ball SFX (even in the movie shots), and added in Bardock's "Kakkorot!" line from Kai ep 1.
I see no worries then. Any footage involving the original Bardock would be an improvement over Minus in my opinion :P .
I see where you are going. I'm afraid there isn't the right material to make it believable. Plus doing so would negate Super entirely, which is not my goal. I want to preserve some good moments. Plus I would have to remove even more scenes from Broly to make that work.
That makes sense. During his training with Goku and Vegeta in RoF, Whis foreshadowed Ultra Instinct. Will you be removing that scene since the form and RoF specific character flaws don't appear in Broly?

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 am

Skar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:45 pm During his training with Goku and Vegeta in RoF, Whis foreshadowed Ultra Instinct. Will you be removing that scene since the form and RoF specific character flaws don't appear in Broly?
You're right. Well, I think there are two approaches to this one. I just rewatched the scene. I may be stretching here, but It's vague enough where you can interpret it as Whis criticizing the strategies that lead to...
It may be a stretch, but reinterpreting the scene would be solution 1. It wasn't until Ul was released that we went back and went "oh ok, that's cool!". So from the eyes of a newcomer, this solution may work.

Solution 2 is that I simply go in and edit it out. I'm apprehensive about that. AnimeAjay's SuperCut is as good as that arc is ever going to get, which is why I always recommend it. I think it's kind of disrespectful to him to use his project, edit something out, then reshare it with whoever is interested. I dunno it doesn't sit right with me.

Also an update. I used the green-tinted rip of the film. Big no-no. So I got my hands on a higher quality & color corrected copy. I will be replacing the footage and fix a few mistakes I recently discovered.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 am

Hobby Bill wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 amSolution 2 is that I simply go in and edit it out. I'm apprehensive about that. AnimeAjay's SuperCut is as good as that arc is ever going to get, which is why I always recommend it. I think it's kind of disrespectful to him to use his project, edit something out, then reshare it with whoever is interested. I dunno it doesn't sit right with me.
Yeah I can respect not wanting to edit his version. RoF was my least favorite storyline in modern Dragonball (and one of my least favorite movies in the series) so I wouldn't mind all of it being skipped over besides Freeza's resurrection to explain his return in DBS Broly :P.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:57 pm

For me, if this was my doing, I'd just remove the Bardock stuff completely, because it's pointless and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I'd just focus on the Broly part of the backstory.
Caulifla best girl! :)