Blameitonjorge's Lost Media Case Files Vol 1 Dragon Ball

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Blameitonjorge's Lost Media Case Files Vol 1 Dragon Ball

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 pm

Posting this here because there's a good chunk of the video that talks about the Harmony Gold dub and it features an interview with none other then Tom Servo from this very forum, pretty cool I must say :clap:

https://youtu.be/EvyC2-0CE7M?t=405
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Blameitonjorge's Lost Media Case Files Vol 1 Dragon Ball

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Sadly, there's barely a piece of information given here that isn't wrong or otherwise misleading. It's clear this guy did no (or next-to-no) research on ANY of this. And despite the fact he got an interview with Tom Servo, he only did so at the last minute after encountering him on the LostMediaWiki Discord, and didn't actually amend the video to correct anything; he just added 6 minutes of their 26-minute conversation sans any context (and with tons of typos in the transcribed subtitles).

... It's a pretty shit video, honestly. Sorry. I hope the uploader either deletes it and replaces it with a new one, or releases a corrections video.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm Sadly, there's barely a piece of information given here that isn't wrong or otherwise misleading. It's clear this guy did no (or next-to-no) research on ANY of this. And despite the fact he got an interview with Tom Servo, he only did so at the last minute after encountering him on the LostMediaWiki Discord, and didn't actually amend the video to correct anything; he just added 6 minutes of their 26-minute conversation sans any context (and with tons of typos in the transcribed subtitles).

... It's a pretty shit video, honestly. Sorry. I hope the uploader either deletes it and replaces it with a new one, or releases a corrections video.
I think it's a pretty good video for what it is, certainly don't think it should be deleted at all.

Nothing stated about DB in the video sounded incorrect(aside from not mentioning the Frontier dub, but given how few people even know that exists I can forgive him overlooking that one)
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm I think it's a pretty good video for what it is, certainly don't think it should be deleted at all.

Nothing stated about DB in the video sounded incorrect(aside from not mentioning the Frontier dub, but given how few people even know that exists I can forgive him overlooking that one)
He was wrong about why HG's dub was cancelled, he was wrong about who produced the Spanish dub derived from HG's work, he was wrong about who discovered the episodes, he gave entirely speculative (and wrong) reasons for how they were found, quoted from some Reddit user (whose explanation regarding "Hoarders" was total bull), crediting these random Redditors who found Tom Servo's uploads and reposted them to Reddit as the people who found this stuff, even after he'd talked to Tom Servo extensively (the 6-minute interview was cut down from a conversation that lasted nearly half an hour), he used the wrong recordings in the wrong places, he called Harmony Gold "A small television company", his mention of the movies was vague and misleading, and his information on how it was found and preserved is totally wrong.
He introduces Tom Servo as being "a guy I found on the 'Kaizenshuu' forums" (except he actually met him on the LostMediaWiki Discord by chance), giving no actual context for the interivew, and made no amendments to the rest of the video in light of the information Tom shared, which makes the whole thing quite awkward given how a lot of the info Tom gives is at odds with the info Jorge gives on how this stuff was found...
Finally, Jorge concludes the video asking "Who are these hoarders, and why did they keep this dub away for so long?" (Hoarders really weren't involved, but digital hoarders keeping rare stuff away from the public just because is pretty standard and mundane), and "And where exactly did Ryan find these clips? 'In storage' seems like too simple of an answer." (We know from Ryan -- and I believe Tom? -- talking about this that he got the tape from a trade years ago, put the tapes away a long time ago, and never knew their rarity until recently)

This video is a mess, and clearly Jorge did little to no actual research on any of the information he aimed to cover here.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.