Seed of Might Colour Correction

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Seed of Might Colour Correction

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Disclaimer: there will be no illegal (pirating material) being shared on this thread, this is only for informational and discussion purposes.

Disclaimer: I'm not part of this project but I would like to share some information I know about this project and learn some more information.

Hello people of kanzenshuu. I'm here to inform you and discuss the project that the group "Seed of Might" is working on.

This group is currently working on, a project to colour correct Dragon Ball Z.

Here's some information regarding this project

- At the moment they're doing a CC on Dragon Ball Z as it's easier then OG DB or GT.
- They're doing it Cut by cut, white balanced, hue shift applied after. Going for a filmic look (I'm assuming this means that is going to look like if the Dragon box had actual colour correction or something like the level set)
- 10 people are currently working on this project (including the great Ajay).
- And currently they have finished 149 episodes so far.

Why did you make this topic ?
- Because I would like to inform the general public about this project and get some more information because I'm curious.

Why post this on kanzenshuu ?
- I've heard that many people have been, trolling. And are trying to get into your private discord server. So I didn't want to ask for that because I would seem like a troll.

The moment I heard about this project I was very curious about it. So I conducted a small investigation on this project. So (after a while) I thought to myself instead of doing this investigation or pestering Ajay on Twitter, I thought. Why not post this on kanzenshuu ? It would be the easiest way. The people who are working on this project they can show us whatever they want pictures, comparisons, videos, anything.

People who are going to ask some questions please make it in this format format
etc...
From my experience, this way no question won't be lost in the text.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Seed of Might Colour Correction

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 pm

So me being the first person posting about this project, I thought about it would be only fair that I'm the first person to ask some questions. So here we go.

1. How many people are working on the colour correction and how many people are working on other things like the encoding of the video (10 people are working in total not all of them are doing colour correction that's the reason I'm asking this question).

2. How long does it take you to finish 1 episode and how much do you estimate that it will take you to finish the entire series. I am talking about DBZ.

3. What program are you using to colour correct this project ?

4. How meticulous is this cut by cut procedure (is it every time the scene changes you do a cut and then for the next scene and then for the next scene etc...).

5. How long have you people been working on it?

6. How many Episodes are done now?

7. When is it planned to release it publicly?

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:27 pm Disclaimer: there will be no illegal (pirating material) being shared on this thread, this is only for informational and discussion purposes.

Disclaimer: I'm not part of this project but I would like to share some information I know about this project and learn some more information.

Hello people of kanzenshuu. I'm here to inform you and discuss the project that the group "Seed of Might" is working on.

This group is currently working on, a project to colour correct Dragon Ball Z.

Here's some information regarding this project

- At the moment they're doing a CC on Dragon Ball Z as it's easier then OG DB or GT.
- They're doing it Cut by cut, white balanced, hue shift applied after. Going for a filmic look (I'm assuming this means that is going to look like if the Dragon box had actual colour correction or something like the level set)
- 10 people are currently working on this project (including the great Ajay).
- And currently they have finished 149 episodes so far.

Why did you make this topic ?
- Because I would like to inform the general public about this project and get some more information because I'm curious.

Why post this on kanzenshuu ?
- I've heard that many people have been, trolling. And are trying to get into your private discord server. So I didn't want to ask for that because I would seem like a troll on a piracy website

The moment I heard about this project I was very curious about it. So I conducted a small investigation on this project. So (after a while) I thought to myself instead of doing this investigation or pestering Ajay on Twitter, I thought. Why not post this on kanzenshuu ? It would be the easiest way. The people who are working on this project they can show us whatever they want pictures, comparisons, videos, anything.

People who are going to ask some questions please make it in this format format
etc...
From my experience, this way no question won't be lost in the text.
Not those guys but I have a bit of a question.
1. Where do they update these? There are multiple users releasing the SoM stuff.

Venny

Post by Venny » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 pm So me being the first person posting about this project, I thought about it would be only fair that I'm the first person to ask some questions. So here we go.

1. How many people are working on the colour correction and how many people are working on other things like the encoding of the video (10 people are working in total not all of them are doing colour correction that's the reason I'm asking this question).

2. How long does it take you to finish 1 episode and how much do you estimate that it will take you to finish the entire series. I am talking about DBZ.

3. What program are you using to colour correct this project ?

4. How meticulous is this cut by cut procedure (is it every time the scene changes you do a cut and then for the next scene and then for the next scene etc...).

5. How long have you people been working on it?

6. How many Episodes are done now?

7. When is it planned to release it publicly?
I don't know why you are talking about the colour correction project here as it is supposed to be private. Please try not spreading it around getting people's hopes up because it's not going to be anywhere near finished for quite a long time. Thank you.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:09 pm

"it's not going to be anywhere near finished for quite a long time. Thank you."

Oh man it's been a minute, more precisely three years since I made this thread and here's some news the group Seed of Might has finished color correcting original Dragon Ball and it looks amazing, it's kind of mind boggling that something like this can happen all 153 episodes have been finished

I mean just look at these examples comparison: dragon box versus their color correction
and here's some more dragon box versus CC (click on the image to see the next image, on the left there is a comparison button which will show you more comparisons) https://slow.pics/c/H6z7Mab2

And here's some more: Japanese broadcast recording, blue bricks, dragon box, Seed of Might CC (click on the image to see the next image and there are 10 more comparisons) https://slow.pics/c/HWVhZ2Fn

They essentially did it step by step color correction the way it's supposed to be done you can read more in this PDF file https://andrewvanner.github.io/som/SoM_ ... ss_Day.pdf

Plus they have various audio tracks
Hears a YouTube clip just to demonstrate how it looks in Motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB8PPPLKy3E

The popular Ajay did a small review on his Twitter of this release so read through it https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/16 ... 8346039296

An overall amazing release it's kind of crazy that people who love the show can actually accomplish something like this, unlike greedy companies that have millions of Dollars at there disposal yet milk the series as much as possible cough, cough, funny, funny, cough. This release does have some flaws. They didn't do any contrast/saturation fixes so the image sometimes looks a bit lifeless, But personally that's not much of a problem, considering the fact that this release practically blows every other release out of the water both the blue bricks and the original dragon boxes might as well be thrown in the trash.

Someone is going to ask how good the compare to the recent AB Blu-ray, they actually compare very well and they are better in terms of color accuracy overall, AB fixed the contrast so the image looks a bit more brighter and the upscale is slightly nicer looking. But some of the individual colors hues look wrong and occasionally they'll have it tinted image or two but they're both great you can't go wrong with either one
their next step is to correct GT then the movies and then Z, it will take a while so don't be too hyped