The Ultimate Shrine to Tenshinhan

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateTenshinhan

The Ultimate Shrine to Tenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Hello everyone, I wanted to post my fairly recently recreated Tenshinhan fansite. The URL is: http://www.tenshinhan.brandonditto.com. Not sure if anyone is old enough to remember my original website that started in 2000, but that would be cool if any of you did! The original name was "The Ultimate Shrine to Tenshinhan." It was later changed to "The Tenshinhan Ichidou" and then to "Tenshinhan Jinja." I went back to the original name. The content is now more focused and completely re-done. I wanted to re-capture the early 2000's Dragon Ball fansite era. I know there's no real point to this sort of content anymore, I just for some reason felt compelled to finally truly make the "Ultimate Shrine to Tenshinhan." I guess I never felt like I truly achieved that back in the day. If anyone has any Tenshinhan fanart I'd love to post it on the site.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: The Ultimate Shrine to Tenshinhan

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Blast to the past. Sorta miss fan sites, There's really no place for them in the world of reddit, discord, wikia, etc. Good shrine all in all.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 am

Hey man, we spoke a bit about your site before. I like the new version it's not over produced or anything.
It evokes the old fansites but feels modern too which is nice.

I feel like Ten is more human than not and do think that Toriyamas statements do mean that Kuririn is weaker then Tenshinhan even tho this irks me too. The only way I explain it is that Kuririn just got too much of a lead from Gurus power up for Ten to close up until whenever that statement was last made. To help this work I chose to believe that Kuririn stopping training in the 7 years after Cell happened quite late into the seven years. And that he at least worked out to prevent loss like Gohan had.

I do think the gap is small and Ten is more skilled, especially with the Kikoho he would win in a fight, he just has a lower battlepower.

I also believe that Ten will overtake again to his rightful place some time before they die of old age. Perhaps he even has by the moro arc, the last time Kuririn was mentioned as the strongest human was either in material for bog/rof/top iirc.

Either way I do think you have him re-surpassing Kuririn too quickly after the guru power up. Kuririn is still training at this point and so if their gains are the same Ten shouldn't be able to surpass him till the Buu arc imo.

I think the way you do wins and losses is kind of odd. I'd perhaps have separate scores for Manga, Anime, Anime+movies.
I always think it's awkward when counting fights where the person had no intent on winning, if someones goal is only to stall and not win, and they successfully stall it's weird to count that as a failure. But that's a general thing that isn't a flaw with your site, everyone does it the way you did so I'm probably in the minority. But you do you obviously.

Ultimate battle 22 beating the Xenoverses? Come on man! Ten potentially being on every PQ and training the hero is actually the biggest role he gets in the story of any game!

Your timeline could perhaps do with anime only being like coloured cells from the show and the manga events being panels of the manga?
And maybe a little split into two paths for the anime and the super manga? I'm bias I like the manga more. I'd throw in a mention about eliminating preecho on the timelines there too, you mention it on another page.

I thought the way you had little clips showing the attacks was really awesome and neat.

I liked the Tenshinhan game for a bit but it was quite unforgiving if you don't know the way around the map, if you use up the clouds you are stuffed and have to die to reset them, as if you kill the pigs at the wrong time instead of using them as a stepping stone. Are you supposed to be able to physically pick up the portraits? I think if you made the clouds regenerate perhaps that'd be cool. But it was fun overall. A neat addition to the site.

I can see how you've got the super part of the biography still to come. Are you still deciding how to do that what with the weird 2/3 version of the story situation?

Overall I enjoyed it. It made me wish I had my xbox here with me and could play some Dragonball XV with/as Ten and Chaozu!
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

UltimateTenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 am Hey man, we spoke a bit about your site before. I like the new version it's not over produced or anything.
It evokes the old fansites but feels modern too which is nice.

I feel like Ten is more human than not and do think that Toriyamas statements do mean that Kuririn is weaker then Tenshinhan even tho this irks me too. The only way I explain it is that Kuririn just got too much of a lead from Gurus power up for Ten to close up until whenever that statement was last made. To help this work I chose to believe that Kuririn stopping training in the 7 years after Cell happened quite late into the seven years. And that he at least worked out to prevent loss like Gohan had.

I do think the gap is small and Ten is more skilled, especially with the Kikoho he would win in a fight, he just has a lower battlepower.

I also believe that Ten will overtake again to his rightful place some time before they die of old age. Perhaps he even has by the moro arc, the last time Kuririn was mentioned as the strongest human was either in material for bog/rof/top iirc.

Either way I do think you have him re-surpassing Kuririn too quickly after the guru power up. Kuririn is still training at this point and so if their gains are the same Ten shouldn't be able to surpass him till the Buu arc imo.

I think the way you do wins and losses is kind of odd. I'd perhaps have separate scores for Manga, Anime, Anime+movies.
I always think it's awkward when counting fights where the person had no intent on winning, if someones goal is only to stall and not win, and they successfully stall it's weird to count that as a failure. But that's a general thing that isn't a flaw with your site, everyone does it the way you did so I'm probably in the minority. But you do you obviously.

Ultimate battle 22 beating the Xenoverses? Come on man! Ten potentially being on every PQ and training the hero is actually the biggest role he gets in the story of any game!

Your timeline could perhaps do with anime only being like coloured cells from the show and the manga events being panels of the manga?
And maybe a little split into two paths for the anime and the super manga? I'm bias I like the manga more. I'd throw in a mention about eliminating preecho on the timelines there too, you mention it on another page.

I thought the way you had little clips showing the attacks was really awesome and neat.

I liked the Tenshinhan game for a bit but it was quite unforgiving if you don't know the way around the map, if you use up the clouds you are stuffed and have to die to reset them, as if you kill the pigs at the wrong time instead of using them as a stepping stone. Are you supposed to be able to physically pick up the portraits? I think if you made the clouds regenerate perhaps that'd be cool. But it was fun overall. A neat addition to the site.

I can see how you've got the super part of the biography still to come. Are you still deciding how to do that what with the weird 2/3 version of the story situation?

Overall I enjoyed it. It made me wish I had my xbox here with me and could play some Dragonball XV with/as Ten and Chaozu!
Hey Toby, thanks for all the feedback! Your post from a couple years ago is what helped me decide to remake it! Just felt awesome to mention something you did from a long time ago.

But yeah, I can understand both viewpoints on Kuririn vs. Tenshinhan.

You're right about the wins/losses thing. I guess I was trying to overcompensate my Tenshinhan bias by counting more as "failures". Haha!

In regards to Dragon Ball video games... I can't take too many games in a similar style. I like orignal stuff, and Dragon Ball fighting games became too oversaturated for me, which is why I never played Xenoverse. I don't like "side-story" content either. It doesn't feel official to me. Sorry! I think Ultimate Battle 22 was huge for Dragon Ball fans when it came out. Of course Dragon Ball video games play incredibly better now. I like to look at things on their place in history and what the game meant for me and my Tenshinhan fanaticism.

Keep in mind the game is made by me, who has no experience with making games or pixel work. I'm amazed I was able to accomplish what I did. Haha. It is supposed to be unforgiving like From Software games (Dark Souls). Maybe I should have the clouds respawn. The intent was the player was supposed to realize next time they have to be careful with how they use the clouds. You just have to touch a portrait to "collect" it. You also can't die before you touch a checkpoint or the portrait won't count as "collected:. There's no real purpose to them. Just 5 things to search for an see a cool Tenshinhan moment from the series.

What do you mean by the "2/3 version of the story"?

UltimateTenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Maybe I should give Xenoverse a shot though. Is Tenshinhan more prominent in 1 or 2?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm

UltimateTenshinhan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Hey Toby, thanks for all the feedback! Your post from a couple years ago is what helped me decide to remake it! Just felt awesome to mention something you did from a long time ago.

You're right about the wins/losses thing. I guess I was trying to overcompensate my Tenshinhan bias by counting more as "failures". Haha!

In regards to Dragon Ball video games... I can't take too many games in a similar style. I like orignal stuff, and Dragon Ball fighting games became too oversaturated for me, which is why I never played Xenoverse. I don't like "side-story" content either. It doesn't feel official to me. Sorry! I think Ultimate Battle 22 was huge for Dragon Ball fans when it came out. Of course Dragon Ball video games play incredibly better now. I like to look at things on their place in history and what the game meant for me and my Tenshinhan fanaticism.

Keep in mind the game is made by me, who has no experience with making games or pixel work. I'm amazed I was able to accomplish what I did. Haha. It is supposed to be unforgiving like From Software games (Dark Souls). Maybe I should have the clouds respawn. The intent was the player was supposed to realize next time they have to be careful with how they use the clouds. You just have to touch a portrait to "collect" it. You also can't die before you touch a checkpoint or the portrait won't count as "collected:. There's no real purpose to them. Just 5 things to search for an see a cool Tenshinhan moment from the series.

Yeah it's hard with fights so many are interrupted or stalling or characters training or sandbagging and so on.

Ah so I never played anything past the tenkaichis until Xenoverse so it's it's similar to raging blast or anything else like I wasn't burned out.
It's the first DB game imo to have a long story line that isn't just "the anime: the game" over and over again imo and I think the lore and setting are underrated personally.

There's a brilliant unintentional meta element where you are actually protecting the real DB canon from people messing with it, being set outside time/in the future makes it feel like a continuation and expansion rather than a side story to me but that's my personal take.

Yeah your game was fun, I get it now it's one of those you replay and do a little better each time, figuring as you go, quite like old school sega or nintendo games that's valid.

When I say 2/3 version of the story I mean "two or three version" movies, anime and Manga. So I was saying I appreciate it's awkward to structure or decide what to include in the section to come.
UltimateTenshinhan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm Maybe I should give Xenoverse a shot though. Is Tenshinhan more prominent in 1 or 2?
XV2 is the better game. Hmm if you don't care about online play I'd recommend getting it on Switch and if you don't have switch then PC.
The switch has "legends patrol" which allows you to do the story mode for XV in XV2. The pc can mod these in too so I hear.
That's the most cost efficient way to play both games kinda.

Tens involvement in the actual story mode is kinda small, as most of the classic cast. But he pops up.
However in the hub world you can chose him and others as your mentor and learn their moves and build up a friendship meter with them where you unlock cute/neat dialogue with him.

Other then the main game there are little parallel quests with random scenarios battles that have a sorta premise but these events aren't really canon individually (power scaling is off, game play over in universe logic) , but it is canon you go in there and sort these out broadly.

You can bring your mentor Tenshinhan on all of those, or even play as him instead and bring 2 other guys.
You can customise him change his clothing colours and super souls, I give mine black and blue gis.
I usually bring my CaC and Ten and Yamcha.

I made one CaC up to be Yamchien (the wig is in the game!)

You could even make your CaC up to literally be Tenshinhan even though that's not really canon, and it's less necessary now your mentors are more customisable anyway.

Check out this weirdly relevant scene I just stumbled across if you max both Yamcha and Tens friendship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAqQ-Yy ... nel=Gorjak
It alludes to the eternal debate!

Oh and Dual mentor/student kikoho second attack here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBznvr ... l=DBZantoZ

Oh and I forgot there's one whole section, the story mode on the biggest DLC where your mentor canonically comes with you on that portion of the main game, not just the side quests.

So it's not so much Ten has a big role it's that there's a moderate role for any character of your choosing, and you can pick Ten.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:34 am

Wow, this takes me back! Thanks for doing this, man

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:34 am

This is great, the site looks awesome and full of data :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've seen a few Tenshinhan-ites around here that probably would get a real kick out of this.

UltimateTenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you both!

UltimateTenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:24 pm

TobyS wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm
UltimateTenshinhan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Yeah it's hard with fights so many are interrupted or stalling or characters training or sandbagging and so on.

Ah so I never played anything past the tenkaichis until Xenoverse so it's it's similar to raging blast or anything else like I wasn't burned out.
It's the first DB game imo to have a long story line that isn't just "the anime: the game" over and over again imo and I think the lore and setting are underrated personally.

There's a brilliant unintentional meta element where you are actually protecting the real DB canon from people messing with it, being set outside time/in the future makes it feel like a continuation and expansion rather than a side story to me but that's my personal take.

Yeah your game was fun, I get it now it's one of those you replay and do a little better each time, figuring as you go, quite like old school sega or nintendo games that's valid.

When I say 2/3 version of the story I mean "two or three version" movies, anime and Manga. So I was saying I appreciate it's awkward to structure or decide what to include in the section to come.
UltimateTenshinhan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm Maybe I should give Xenoverse a shot though. Is Tenshinhan more prominent in 1 or 2?
XV2 is the better game. Hmm if you don't care about online play I'd recommend getting it on Switch and if you don't have switch then PC.
The switch has "legends patrol" which allows you to do the story mode for XV in XV2. The pc can mod these in too so I hear.
That's the most cost efficient way to play both games kinda.

Tens involvement in the actual story mode is kinda small, as most of the classic cast. But he pops up.
However in the hub world you can chose him and others as your mentor and learn their moves and build up a friendship meter with them where you unlock cute/neat dialogue with him.

Other then the main game there are little parallel quests with random scenarios battles that have a sorta premise but these events aren't really canon individually (power scaling is off, game play over in universe logic) , but it is canon you go in there and sort these out broadly.

You can bring your mentor Tenshinhan on all of those, or even play as him instead and bring 2 other guys.
You can customise him change his clothing colours and super souls, I give mine black and blue gis.
I usually bring my CaC and Ten and Yamcha.

I made one CaC up to be Yamchien (the wig is in the game!)

You could even make your CaC up to literally be Tenshinhan even though that's not really canon, and it's less necessary now your mentors are more customisable anyway.

Check out this weirdly relevant scene I just stumbled across if you max both Yamcha and Tens friendship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAqQ-Yy ... nel=Gorjak
It alludes to the eternal debate!

Oh and Dual mentor/student kikoho second attack here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBznvr ... l=DBZantoZ

Oh and I forgot there's one whole section, the story mode on the biggest DLC where your mentor canonically comes with you on that portion of the main game, not just the side quests.

So it's not so much Ten has a big role it's that there's a moderate role for any character of your choosing, and you can pick Ten.
That's exactly what I was going for with the game. Old school where you get a little better each time you play. Glad you saw that with my limited abilities. Haha!

Yeah, I don't really know what to make of Super to be honest. Like, what is the true storyline? Super is fun, but it's not canon in the same way old stuff is.

I don't care about online at all. Sounds like the Switch version is the one to get for me! That's great it includes the previous game's story mode. I always want a reason to play my Switch too, because it gets so little use. Interesting scene you show there. Thanks for sharing that! But yeah, sounds like I can have Tenshinhan around a lot in the game if I so choose. That's cool!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Great work, very quaint and nostalgic to a simpler time. I wish I'd known about this a few months back, I was looking everywhere for that one shot of Piccolo Daimao holding Tenshinhan by the head to use as a reference for a big collage project I was working on, I managed to find a low quality shot of it after trawling through old threads on here. In any case, I love Tenshinhan and glad I've now got this as a resource. :)

UltimateTenshinhan

Post by UltimateTenshinhan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:01 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:06 pm Great work, very quaint and nostalgic to a simpler time. I wish I'd known about this a few months back, I was looking everywhere for that one shot of Piccolo Daimao holding Tenshinhan by the head to use as a reference for a big collage project I was working on, I managed to find a low quality shot of it after trawling through old threads on here. In any case, I love Tenshinhan and glad I've now got this as a resource. :)
Hahaha! Thank you! You should us the collage when you're done.