Harmony Gold Dub Reconstruction [[DONE!!]]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Harmony Gold Dub Reconstruction [[DONE!!]]

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Logo created by HowXu

Hello everyone! This page is for my completed Harmony Gold Dub Reconstruction, which aims to rebuild the footage of the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball, the earliest English dub of a Dragon Ball anime to air on home television in the west! It aims to reconstruct the visuals while keeping the original audio, to provide a more visually appealing way to watch it (and trust me, it really works).

The Harmony Gold dub debuted with a combined edit of the first and third Dragon Ball movies that aired at 1pm on Boxing Day (Dec 26th) 1989, which was followed by the first five episodes of the anime itself airing at 3pm in the first week of 1990. For years, we only had the 1+3 Movie and the first anime episode, but in February of 2020 a tape emerged from Ryan Gavigan with the full set of five episodes. Thanks to the hard work of Tom_Servo and Brady Hartel, some fantastic audio transfers have been made to make this possible. The 1+3 Movie's audio is from Dave Merrill's audio.

The end result is a great transfer of the audio lined up with much better video footage, sourced primarily from the Dragon Box and the Amazon Japan upload of the movies! This makes the Harmony Gold Dub a much more watchable experience without doing anything the original footage didn't do, which was the primary goal of this project.

If you want to watch this, look for it in a popular anime tracker.

Below is a summary of my process of making it. If you want more info, check out this .PDF.

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: Harmony Gold Dub Reconstruction [[DONE!!]]

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:18 am

Congrats on completing this project. You sure put a lot of work into it!

I'm eager to watch them again.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 am

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:18 am Congrats on completing this project. You sure put a lot of work into it!

I'm eager to watch them again.
Thank you! :D Lemme know what you think!

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:04 am

Wow, this the where Zero and the Magic Dragon comes from. Its LatAm dub is the earliest Spanish dub, meaning Harmony Gold basically introduced DB to both North and South America

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:49 am

Yes, I wrote an article about the History of the Harmony Gold Dub. It reveals where the Harmony Gold dub came from, who was involved in its production, and how hard myself and a few other anime fans here at Kanz worked to recover the episodes. Took over a decade of effort!
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 am

DerekPadula wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:49 am Yes, I wrote an article about the History of the Harmony Gold Dub. It reveals where the Harmony Gold dub came from, who was involved in its production, and how hard myself and a few other anime fans here at Kanz worked to recover the episodes. Took over a decade of effort!
I hope you liked the Reconstruction! ^_^

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 am

Yes, I really enjoyed watching it. The voice acting is top-notch, especially with the odd censorship and script changes adding a charm to it. And it's a pleasure to watch it without any visual or audio artifacts. You guys did such a good job. A tremendous effort!

Is it okay for me to host these videos on my site so more people can watch them?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 am

DerekPadula wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 am Yes, I really enjoyed watching it. The voice acting is top-notch, especially with the odd censorship and script changes adding a charm to it. And it's a pleasure to watch it without any visual or audio artifacts. You guys did such a good job. A tremendous effort!

Is it okay for me to host these videos on my site so more people can watch them?
Sure, so long as you retain proper credit and include a clear way for folks to access and download the .pdf file.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:12 am

Great. I intend to create a Video section on my site soon, and I'll make a HG Dub page for the remasters and the originals, with the proper credit and a link to the pdf.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 am

DerekPadula wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:12 am Great. I intend to create a Video section on my site soon, and I'll make a HG Dub page for the remasters and the originals, with the proper credit and a link to the pdf.
Cool! Also make sure to be clear what it is; I didn't "remake" the dub, this is basically just me aligning the audio with the Dragon Box footage for the anime and the Amazon JP footage for the 1+3 Movie, with some extra flourishes to reconstruct the title cards, eyecatches and end credits. It doesn't offer anything new, and is not meant to replace VHS uploads of the dub, but instead expose audiences to it by making it much more presentable.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:31 am

Pretty sure that’s not Amazon Japan, but FUNimation’s streams. The Amazon Japan streams are widescreen.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:32 am

Puto wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:31 am Pretty sure that’s not Amazon Japan, but FUNimation’s streams. The Amazon Japan streams are widescreen.
Huh, you're right! Thanks for the correction.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you for the hard work, KBABZ. It's nice to have only the audio be low quality rather than both the audio and video. It makes it the Harmony Gold dub far more presentable. Till now it was impossible to show it to friends.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 pm Thank you for the hard work, KBABZ. It's nice to have only the audio be low quality rather than both the audio and video. It makes it the Harmony Gold dub far more presentable. Till now it was impossible to show it to friends.
Hey no problem! I wouldn't call the audio "low quality", although that may be because I'm aware of what it originally sounded like a year ago. :lol: