Dragon Ball GT Recut [DONE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Buutama42

Dragon Ball GT Recut [DONE]

Post by Buutama42 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:57 am

Hello! I've been working on a recut of Dragon Ball GT, cutting out certain scenes and replacing scenes with new music scores. Some scenes keep their original music (like Piccolo's death) because I like the original score too much. It's not finished yet, but I have some clips you can watch. It uses the English dub for the dialogue from the 5.1 audio of the DVDs.

I will not share the recut here beyond some clips here and there. Talk to me for the actual recut. My Discord is on my profile page.

Here is the logo for the recut. If you have not seen GT before and do not wish to be spoiled, I do not recommend looking at the actual logo itself, or the details below the logo.

What you can expect from this recut:

- Less of Pan.
- Less of the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga.
- Most of the Super 17 Saga removed.
- Some of the dialogue/scenes removed or rearranged for better pacing.
- Some scenes added in flashbacks.

Here are the clips I have ready so far:

Goku vs Ledgic: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... ic_redone/
Baby's Origin: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... in_redone/
Super Saiyan 4 Goku Taunts Baby: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... unts_baby/
Majuub Returns: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... ns_redone/
Goku Defeats Baby: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... by_redone/
Piccolo's Death: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... se_redone/

Feedback is appreciated. I don't intend to be satisfied with the 1st cut.

Edit: (Copying and pasting from a later post):
The Black Star Dragon Ball arc is finally complete.

Major changes:

- Less of Pan (a lot less)
- No Luud or Mutchy
- No Para Para Brothers
- No Zunama
- The exploration of the planets is significantly decreased.
- Less continuity errors
- Better powerscaling (Trunks getting beaten up by Ledgic is removed, Rildo being stronger than Majin Buu is removed, etc.)
- New and old soundtracks
- The Baby Saga ends on a more somber note.

The footage I used comes from episodes 1-7 and 15-21. In total, I have created 6 episodes that range from 18-20 minutes each.

2nd Edit:

Hero's Legacy is combined with episodes 41, 43, and 64 for a 3 episode saga.

Major Changes:

- All references to the Super 17 Saga are removed.
- Vegeta keeps his tail and the ability to go Super Saiyan 4.
- Goku's goodbye with Piccolo is rewritten. Instead of Goku going to Hell again, Piccolo in Heaven senses Goku's spirit as he leaves (which uses the scene of him in Heaven from episode 43), using the dub's addition of Piccolo's inner monologue ("Farewell, old friend") as his goodbye to Goku in this version.
- Uub's final scene comes from episode 41, where he throws the match to save Mr. Satan's reputation. Mr. Satan actually retires in this version as compared to the original, giving him more closure.
- Puck, Goku Jr.'s friend, actually dies when he falls into the cavern rather than being found alive by Pan offscreen.
- Bulma Jr. is cut, as well as the sequence with Vegeta Jr. turning Super Saiyan and making a joke about it.
- Some new flashbacks are added to the final sequence of GT (like Vegeta's Sacrifice, Piccolo killing Raditz and Goku) while others are removed (like the heroes meeting Old Kai).

Here are Google Docs detailing the full changes per episode:
Black Star Dragon Ball Saga:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UUa ... 6sHNE6IWk/
Baby Saga:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gqt ... GBS1A/edit
Shadow Dragons Saga:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7- ... NBBC-e86U/
Hero's Legacy Saga:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-7v ... DBiCmr1yQ/

Edit:

It's done. The recut is done.
Last edited by Buutama42 on Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Buutama42

Re: Dragon Ball GT Recut

Post by Buutama42 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Here is what I changed in those clips.

Goku vs Ledgic:
- A new score was used for the soundtrack: The Power to Resist by Norihito Sumitomo (Dragon Ball Super).
- 0:00 to 1:35 is otherwise unchanged.
- 1:35 cuts out the stuff with Giru commentating on the battle for improved pacing. It also cuts out Ledgic's surprise because I felt it would be better if he wasn't surprised by the transformation if he assumed Goku was holding back.
- 1:40 cuts out Ledgic's surprise again ("What?") for the same reason.

Baby's Origin:
- A new soundtrack is used for this scene: New Mutation by Yoshihisa Hirano (Hunter x Hunter).
- 0:00 to 1:37 is relatively unchanged.
- 1:37 to 1:38 reuses a shot of Vegeta shaking while cutting out Goten's dialogue. I didn't care for the way Goten said it, so I cut it out.
- 1:45 cuts out "And when I'm finished here, I'll move on to the rest of the universe" is cut out because I believed it was tacked on to add taking over the whole universe to his motivation.
- 2:09 cuts out "My plan to make Tuffles of this entire planet is finally in place. But..." because I felt it was unnecessary to listen to.

SSJ4 Goku Taunts Baby:
- A new soundtrack is used: Frieza And His Terrible Power by Norihito Sumitomo (Resurrection 'F').
- 0:00 to 0:27 is relatively unchanged.
- 0:27 cuts out the stuff with Old Kai and the others commenting on the battle.
- 2:13 cuts out the intermission originally in the scene.

Majuub Returns:
- A new soundtrack replaces the old one: Aku No Shinri (Evil of Psychology) done by Yuki Hayashi (My Hero Academia).
- 0:49 cuts out a shot of Pan, Mr. Satan, and Kibito Kai reacting to Baby's attack. I felt it would be better pacing to cut it out.
- 1:50 cuts out a flashback that shows Majuub getting eaten as well as Majuub taunting Baby, cutting to Goku talking. I did this for pacing and I didn't care for Majuub's original dialogue.
- 1:57 places Baby's line "You little scoundrel!" at 2:04 because I preferred it to "Curse you!" I also cut out Majuub's lines after "Isn't that how you operate?" because I felt it improved the pacing.
- 2:23 cuts out some dialogue of Majuub saying "I can't keep up this much longer" to improve the pacing.
- 2:25 cuts out the part where Kibito Kai explains to Goku that Majuub is doing this for him, making it seem like Goku has caught on to Majuub's plan to stall for time faster than he did in the original version.

Goku Defeats Baby:
- New soundtracks are used: The Eliatrope People & Welcome Among Your Kind by Guillaume Houzé (Wakfu).
- 0:00 to 0:31 is unchanged.
- 0:31 and 0:37 cuts out the other characters' commentary for the sake of pacing.
- 1:10 cuts out Baby complaining for the sake of pacing.
- 1:19 cuts out Pan's dialogue simply because I'd rather focus on Mr. Satan.
- 1:56 moves the scene with Vegeta to 3:36 since I felt it would be best to focus on Baby in the next shot and the Vegeta scene works better when Baby is defeated. It also cuts out Pan talking to Goku about stopping Baby. This was done to improve the pacing.
- 2:02 cuts off Bulma's original line because I thought it'd be funny if Baby cut her off when she says, "We might not win but we'll...", implying that he only smacked her because she told him he was going to lose.
- 2:15 cuts out Bulma getting up and pleading for Baby to take her with him for the sake of pacing. It also cuts out Pan asking Goku if he's going to let Baby get away for the same reason.
- 3:33 cuts out Gohan's commentary and focuses on a shot of Goku instead for continuity since Vegeta appears in the scene where Gohan makes his comments.

Piccolo's Death:
- 0:00 to 1:50 is basically untouched, using the original dialogue and Japanese music the scene had.
- 1:50 to 2:34 has a new soundtrack, an unreleased score from the 2012 TMNT show (Splinter's Final Demise by Sebastian Evans).
- 2:00 to 2:22 consists of a flashback montage that does not originally appear in this scene. I felt it would be appropriate given that this is Piccolo's final death in the series (unless you count Super's Piccolo death that wasn't in the original movie Resurrection 'F').

Skld

Post by Skld » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:19 am

Can't wait to watch

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:42 am

Skld wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:19 am Can't wait to watch
Thanks. If you or anyone have any suggestions (such as soundtracks for scenes), be sure to let me know.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 am

One idea: transform the four GT arcs into TV specials. That way, you can expand the qualities of the series and reduce its defects, as it will be something much faster and more palatable.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:36 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 am One idea: transform the four GT arcs into TV specials. That way, you can expand the qualities of the series and reduce its defects, as it will be something much faster and more palatable.
I'm not sure if I will turn them into specials, but I will consider the idea.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Here are some more scenes I have ready.

Vegeta Turns Into Super Saiyan 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... _saiyan_4/
Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is Born (Version 1): https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... a_is_born/
Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is Born (Version 2): https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... a_is_born/

Here is what I changed in each clip.

Vegeta Turns Into Super Saiyan 4:
- A new soundtrack is used: Vegeta’s New Form by Norihito Sumitomo.
- 0:07, 0:22, 0:28, 0:36, 1:42 cuts out the commentary of the other characters to improve the pacing.
- 0:46 cuts out Omega Shenron dodging Vegeta’s blast because I feel like he shouldn’t feel the need to dodge an attack like that. It’s also cuts out extra blasts for the sake of pacing.
- 1:20 cuts out Vegeta crushing Goku because I feel like he would regain his senses a bit sooner. I also cut out Omega mocking them for the sake of pacing.
- 1:46 cuts out Bulma’s dialogue and instead just has a shot of her smiling. I believed that her smile alone worked best for the scene.

Super Saiyan Gogeta is Born (Version 1):
- A new soundtrack is used: Birth of a God by Norihito Sumitomo.
- 0:00 removes Omega Shenron beating up Goten and Gohan is removed along with the dialogue of Pan questioning what fusion is for the sake of pacing (and for the sake of Goten and Gohan’s dignity). Omega blowing up Bulma’s Blutz Waves Machine is also cut for pacing. Trunks landing a physical blow on Omega is cut because I think Omega shouldn’t even be stunned by a physical attack like that.
- 0:50 removes the lines about his and Vegeta’s sons fighting together since those scenes were cut.
- 1:43 cuts out the shot of the other characters reacting with a scared look for the sake of pacing.
- 1:56 moves the shot of the characters looking up to Gogeta to before he is shown so that the following angles you see of Gogeta blend together better.

Super Saiyan Gogeta is Born (Version 2):
- Is nearly the same except for having different soundtracks: A Heart That Never Gives Up, Start of Battle, and Power to Win by Yuya Mori.

Buutama42

Re: Dragon Ball GT Recut [Super 17 Saga Complete]

Post by Buutama42 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:27 am

The Super 17 Saga is now complete: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... r_17_saga/

What I cut:
- Literally everything with Super 17 and Goku ending up in Hell. Therefore, Piccolo gets to stay in Heaven. The implication with this cut is that the negative energy from the Dragon Balls is what causes the portal to open.
- A lot of Pan talking.
- Mr. Satan’s scenes (I’m sorry I had to do the Champ dirty like this, but I was trying my best to keep a darker tone).
- The clearer backgrounds when they’re summoning Shenron with the cracked Dragon Balls. The idea is that the portal is still there and only really disappears after they summon Shenron.
- Some reactions of ordinary citizens were cut for pacing and because I didn’t care for their dialogue.
- Krillin’s death is completely omitted.

What I kept:
- Majuub and other citizens of Earth looking up to the portal.
- The Dragon Ball cracking (I set that up as the opening).
- Goten being with Valese when the portal opens (I just think they’re cute together and it should be said that Goten is a total Chad in GT).
- Krillin, Android 18, and Marron looking up to the portal.
- King Kai saying that something evil is happening.
- Shots of lightning bursting out of the portal.
- Fixing Giru (I’m cutting the scene from the Baby saga where he appears again at the end).
- Vegeta clobbering a robber (it provides a decent transition before we see Giru being repaired).
- The gang gathering around the cracked Dragon Balls.
- Black Smoke Shenron still appears, so I’m ultimately combining this arc with the Shadow Dragon Saga.

Soundtracks Used:
Latent Power / Auras by Yoshihisa Hirano (Hunter x Hunter)
Master Criminal by Yuki Hayashi (My Hero Academia)

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:44 am

I've got another scene prepared! I believe that you're going to love it. Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta vs Omega Shenron: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... _vs_omega/
Think of it as a nice tribute to Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta getting announced for FighterZ. Anyway, here are the changes made:

- 0:51, 1:25, 2:33, 2:38, 2:48, 3:15, 3:18, 3:24, 3:56, 4:03, and 5:08 cuts out the other characters reacting to Gogeta fighting Omega Shenron for the sake of pacing.
- 1:10, 1:54 cuts out Gogeta mocking Omega with a silly tone. While I enjoy silly Gogeta, I prefer to keep him more serious like his other incarnations. His actions do the talking for him, so he talks significantly less in this version.
- 1:25 cuts out more shots of Omega blasting Gogeta for the sake of pacing.
- 1:34 cuts out Omega’s dialogue for pacing and instead replaces it with a still image of him smiling.
- 2:00 cuts out Omega charging at Gogeta and instead cuts to Gogeta elbowing Omega to improve the pacing.
- 2:11 cuts out the Bluff Kamehameha by Gogeta. While I find it funny (especially in the video games), I once again prefer to let Gogeta’s more serious actions do the talking for him. It also uses a stock teleporting sound effect that cuts out Gogeta’s background dialogue and has Omega get back up quickly.
- 2:18 cuts out Gogeta’s speech to Omega about surrendering. I think my reasons for this have been stated already in previous scenes.
- 2:19 cuts out Omega’s dialogue since it’s mostly a response to Gogeta’s speech, instead focusing on the scream he lets out.
- 3:02 adds dialogue from Omega’s 2nd Negative Karma Ball since in this version he only uses it once. Not to mention I like his dialogue here. A horizontal flip is used on the shot regarding Omega’s eye, allowing for the shots to line up more easily.
- The scene with Old Kai and Kibito Kai is kept because of Kibito Kai’s observation that the Earth’s negative energy has been removed. As such, 4:52 cuts out Gogeta explaining what he did.
- 4:52 uses one of the shots and dialogue from the scene where Gogeta prepares his Bluff Kamehameha as an indicator that the battle is almost over.
- 5:04 adds “Times 100!” to the scene to indicate how strong Big Bang Kamehameha is in this version. The audio file comes from the video game Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- 5:14 includes a flashback montage of scenes specifically picked by me. Each scene shows the Shadow Dragons meeting their demise. They say your life flashes before your eyes in the face of death. As such, I thought it would be fitting for Omega to see through the memories of the other Shadows Dragons. He would see the end of their lives, an indicator of his upcoming fate. A 17% tint is used for this flashback, with C9F7D5 as the color chosen for the tint.
- 6:42 uses the shot from Goku killing Omega with the Spirit Bomb a few episodes later. Since Big Bang Kamehameha features an energy sphere, the Spirit Bomb is close enough it could act as a 100x Big Bang Kamehameha. So in this version, Gogeta actually kills Omega Shenron and does not defuse before that moment. Finally, a horizontal flip is used to make the shots line up better.
- The following soundtracks are used:
- Unknown Enemy, Immortal Monster, Pilaf & His Gang Drops In, Life to be Protected, and Trapped Between Past and Present by Norihito Sumitomo.
- The Final Flash by Cliff "AinTunez" Weinstein.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:18 am

This seems real interesting. NIce to see some GT love here.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 am

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:18 am This seems real interesting. NIce to see some GT love here.
Thank you! I feel like GT has a lot of good things going for it, and it would certainly benefit from cutting a lot of the filler and other stuff out.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:43 am

Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 am
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:18 am This seems real interesting. NIce to see some GT love here.
Thank you! I feel like GT has a lot of good things going for it, and it would certainly benefit from cutting a lot of the filler and other stuff out.
I agree! It's great that it's finally getting some love here.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:51 am

On another note, I think the music is a bit too loud compared to the rest of the sound in the clips.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:51 am On another note, I think the music is a bit too loud compared to the rest of the sound in the clips.
In which clip or clips? I've been working on fixing that in some of them.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:51 am On another note, I think the music is a bit too loud compared to the rest of the sound in the clips.
Goku vs Legic mainly.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:54 pm
Goku vs Legic mainly.
That I am aware of and I decided to tone down the music already. Granted, I haven't posted that yet.
I do have a question for you and anybody else reading this thread. Which version of Gogeta being born is better? I had seen somebody do the Gogeta scene with the Birth of a God soundtrack and I really liked the tune, but I had wanted to cut some shots and dialogue out. There are some scenes I based off other people's rescores and the sort, like the Majuub scene having MHA music, but edit because there is dialogue or parts that could be cut for pacing or because I just don't like the dialogue. With the 2nd version, I wanted to try something new. Also, I had found out that the Dragon Ball Heroes score by Yuya Mori had officially come out recently and I really liked the fusion theme used in that show.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:16 pm
Goku vs Legic mainly.
That I am aware of and I decided to tone down the music already. Granted, I haven't posted that yet.
I do have a question for you and anybody else reading this thread. Which version of Gogeta being born is better? I had seen somebody do the Gogeta scene with the Birth of a God soundtrack and I really liked the tune, but I had wanted to cut some shots and dialogue out. There are some scenes I based off other people's rescores and the sort, like the Majuub scene having MHA music, but edit because there is dialogue or parts that could be cut for pacing or because I just don't like the dialogue. With the 2nd version, I wanted to try something new. Also, I had found out that the Dragon Ball Heroes score by Yuya Mori had officially come out recently and I really liked the fusion theme used in that show.
The second is way better. I think that the show could use a bit more of the Kai Sumitomo OST because it feels more like a continuation of the Buu arc than anything. I also think that most of the Black Star Dragon Ball arc needs heavy cuts to make it watchable.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:36 pm
Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:16 pm
Goku vs Legic mainly.
The second is way better. I think that the show could use a bit more of the Kai Sumitomo OST because it feels more like a continuation of the Buu arc than anything. I also think that most of the Black Star Dragon Ball arc needs heavy cuts to make it watchable.
I personally enjoyed the 2nd version more. And I will be cutting out a lot of the Black Star Dragon Ball arc. I'm still deciding whether or not to cut out the scenes with Goku annoying the robbers all day. Those scenes made me laugh, especially the other characters' reactions to learning Goku is "kidnapped."

Bulma: "I'd watch my back if I were you guys."
Gohan: "Was it someone from a restaurant? We get those calls a lot..."
Vegeta: "Deal with him as you please."

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:44 am I've got another scene prepared! I believe that you're going to love it. Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta vs Omega Shenron: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... _vs_omega/
Think of it as a nice tribute to Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta getting announced for FighterZ. Anyway, here are the changes made:
This one is great, the addition of flashback is really cool idea, although i think Oceanus and Eis scenes were a bit too long.
I'd love to see the same thing but with actual death scene with spirit bomb being used and flashbacks appearing either before impact or before Goku throwing it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:03 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Buutama42 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:44 am I've got another scene prepared! I believe that you're going to love it. Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta vs Omega Shenron: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comme ... _vs_omega/
This one is great, the addition of flashback is really cool idea, although i think Oceanus and Eis scenes were a bit too long.
I'd love to see the same thing but with actual death scene with spirit bomb being used and flashbacks appearing either before impact or before Goku throwing it.
I will admit the stuff with Oceanus might have been a bit too long, but it did help fill up the time so the whole song could play out. Eis's scenes were just right in my opinion since I found his death one of the more interesting ones, although I understand why someone would see it as too long.
I've cut out the Spirit Bomb and pretty much anything between that scene and Gogeta defusing. The only thing really kept between that, although it will be moved up, is the scene where Old Kai listens to Step Into the Grand Tour. That scene is too funny to cut out.
I felt like Gogeta not ending the fight was kind of dumb, but it was easily editable by the fact that the Spirit Bomb's shape resembles Big Bang Kamehameha. And since I included the x100 line, that makes it easier to imagine that the attack has gotten bigger.
I'm quite thankful that GT is easily editable, unlike Super. Cutting out the Super 17 arc, apart from 3 minutes, helps a lot for pacing. If you or anyone else has any suggestions, I will gladly consider them.