Dragon Ball Z With Kai Dub

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Z With Kai Dub

Post by uzuni » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello all.

Does anyone know of a means to strip dialogue and music separately from individual episodes?

I'd like to mix Kai's dub over the original DBZ episodes.

Understandably, as Kai is half the length, not all of the original dub will be replaced, not to mention any characters that have been redone by other actors with lines cut. Nevertheless, I'd like to see what I can come up with.

I caught notice of Diccolo-420's project, then had this idea.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z With Kai Dub

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:59 am

uzuni wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 pm Hello all.

Does anyone know of a means to strip dialogue and music separately from individual episodes?

I'd like to mix Kai's dub over the original DBZ episodes.

Understandably, as Kai is half the length, not all of the original dub will be replaced, not to mention any characters that have been redone by other actors with lines cut. Nevertheless, I'd like to see what I can come up with.

I caught notice of Diccolo-420's project, then had this idea.
I think you can just strip the music and some SF but most of the sound FX and Dialogue are mixed in. What I do, is rip the episodes (with the 5.1 track intact) on Handbreak. This way when you import the episode into a video editor, you can delete separate tracks (music, base, etc.)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:49 pm

The center track on the Kai BD audio mix is the dialogue and sound effects.

The problem you're probably going to run into if you're going to be mixing this in with the Z dub to plug the gaps is the Z audio isn't as cut and dry as "rip out the center track and use that", to be honest I've never been able to figure it out.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:53 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:49 pm The center track on the Kai BD audio mix is the dialogue and sound effects.

The problem you're probably going to run into if you're going to be mixing this in with the Z dub to plug the gaps is the Z audio isn't as cut and dry as "rip out the center track and use that", to be honest I've never been able to figure it out.
I'm considering replacing only the dialogue that's been redone and leaving the rest as is. It goes without saying that I won't be replacing any characters whose dub actors have been changed either. MKVToolnix can't separate individual tracks from an audio mix as far as I can tell. How did you manage it?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:18 am

uzuni wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:53 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:49 pm The center track on the Kai BD audio mix is the dialogue and sound effects.

I'm considering replacing only the dialogue that's been redone and leaving the rest as is. It goes without saying that I won't be replacing any characters whose dub actors have been changed either. MKVToolnix can't separate individual tracks from an audio mix as far as I can tell. How did you manage it?
Look into eac3to. Does a number of things, including exporting multi-track audios into their individual tracks, you need to use the "wavs" option. If you find command line stuff intimidating there's a few different options for GUIs.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.