Blue Water GT Dub Sync

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Blue Water GT Dub Sync

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:16 am

Happy Holidays to all fans of GT and of the Blue Water dub! I've been hearing for years about how the Blue Water GT dub is the best way to watch the show in English due to its surprisingly accurate scripts and decent acting, but I've always lamented that outside of one fan sync for the first 22 episodes there wasn't any way to watch it uncut and with decent video. For that reason, I've spent the last few weeks working on syncing every episode of the Blue Water dub myself, and here's the result!

Episodes 1-22 are based on that aforementioned fan sync aside from Episode 6 (which had major sync issues), while the remaining episodes are done from scratch by yours truly. The first 22 episodes have been updated to use higher quality versions of the OP, ED, eyecatches, and NEPs from the broadcast audio and the title cards are updated to use just the theme rather than the Japanese narration. Because this is an uncut project based on a slightly edited dub with recordings that aren't always the greatest quality, there are times where I had to switch over to the Japanese audio to cover cut scenes or instances where the recording itself cut out. Thankfully these cases aren't too common or immersion breaking, with the worst coming in around the Baby arc. Sometimes the switch only covered a few seconds and didn't involve dialogue, so it's mostly seamless in those cases.

Also, this release is AUDIO ONLY not only to stay in as close accordance to Kanzenshuu's anti-piracy policies as possible but also to encourage everyone to support the official release. This sync should work with rips of the Dragon Box footage, though I can't speak to the Green Bricks or the Singles. Either way, I still encourage you to support the official release of GT however you can. Also, if the fine folks who run Kanzenshuu think that this project toes the line of their anti-piracy policies a little too closely, I completely understand and will happily remove the project link.

I'd also like to thank all the fans who did the hard work to find and preserve as much of this dub as possible in as high quality as possible. I believe the sources I used still exist thanks to folks like Arian, DBZimran, Robo4900, Andyscot, and Wonder Inc, whether they contributed their own recordings, found other fans who had recordings of their owns, kept those sources online, or simply kept the fandom for the DB Canadian casts alive. If I'm mistaken on any of those names or if I left anyone out, please let me know so I can make corrections. I also want to thank the person who did the initial 1-22 sync, but I don't remember their name. My apologies for that. Either way, this project never would've been possible without the efforts of fans who came before me, so thank you all for your help!

Like with every audio edit that I undertake, I must stress that I'm still an amateur and am prone to mistakes. While I learn more and more every time I work on something like this, I can always strive to improve. For that reason, if there are any glaring issues you happen to notice, please let me know so I can fix them. Either way, I hope I did okay with this sync and that you all enjoy!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Blue Water GT Dub Sync

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm

This is a wonderful Christmas gift! Thank you!

... though, do you have a list of each point where the Japanese audio had to be swapped in (ala the edit guide made for the Harmony Gold reconstruction)? If you're comfortable with the idea, could you also post a list of where each source was used per episode?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm This is a wonderful Christmas gift! Thank you!

... though, do you have a list of each point where the Japanese audio had to be swapped in (ala the edit guide made for the Harmony Gold reconstruction)? If you're comfortable with the idea, could you also post a list of where each source was used per episode?
I wouldn't be able to do that without going back through each episode, I'm afraid. In hindsight, I probably should've made notes as I went along, haha. I will say that the majority of the episodes use the "HQ" marked files from the MEGA folder where you'll commonly find these episodes. I didn't find the Wonder Inc audio (which is the highest quality I believe?) until I was already in the Shadow Dragon stuff so I never went back and used it on the Baby arc episodes it was available for. I did redo the last two Super 17 episodes with Wonder Inc since the other sources had very bad hissing. I'll try to note some alternate sources/cuts to the TV version from memory (meaning I won't be able to cite episode numbers exactly, though I can try to guesstimate), but this probably doesn't cover everything:

- I did Ep. 6 very early in the process and used the "LQ" marked episode for at least part of it. It might be worth putting up a V2 with better audio at some point.
- The episode where they follow Zunama to his lair (I believe 8) switches to the Japanese audio briefly due to Goku stripping before diving in the water. I updated the track to use the broadcast audio.
- The episode where Mr. Satan challenges the guy possessed by Baby (Ep. 24-25, I think?) had some cuts (presumably to reduce the amount of Mr. Satan text to be altered) so I believe I had to cut to Japanese around the point he jumps off the building. As a general rule they seem to have made several small cuts during Mr. Satan scenes, like when he's being blown back by the bad guy powering up and whatnot. In those cases I switched to the Japanese audio as needed.
- In the following episode, I remember that they cut the beginning standoff between Goten and Baby a little bit so the Japanese audio shows up there.
- Vegeta shopping with Bra was cut really weird, so that uses Japanese audio at first and cuts into the dub where it can. I wanna say there are probably se lip flap issues, too. Was definitely one of the more annoying things to work around and I don't think it came out pretty, I'll admit.
- Pan being choked by Gohan (I wanna say somewhere in the 30s?) had a lot of cuts, and is probably the scene with the most switches to the Japanese audio as a result. Off the top of my head, at least.
- There was one Super 17 episode (I believe 44?) where the "HQ" audio cut out towards the end and didn't have a Wonder Inc alternative, so after a certain point it switches to the "LQ" audio.
- The "HQ" audio of the Super 17 episode where Goku descends to the deeper levels of Hell was missing a line as Goku was plunged into the depths. The "LQ" audio had it, so I used it to fill in the blank.
- The episode where Piccolo and Dende are working out how to open the portal to Hell so Goku can escape had some weird cuts to the conversation, so there are some cuts to the Japanese audio. I left in the line where Piccolo seems to imply that the cracked DBs are causing interference even though it wasn't in the Japanese version (unless it was and just came in later in the dub and I didn't notice).
- The first episode of the Shadow Dragons arc rearranged a couple shots and their accompanying dialogue. I recut the dialogue to match the original animation. Thankfully there was no music to mess up and the newly cut dialogue still makes sense.
- IIRC, a fair bit of the later Shadow Dragons arc primarily uses the Wonder Inc audio for the episodes it exists for. I distinctly remember redoing Ep. 55 with that audio.
- Bulma and Vegeta's conversation at the beginning of Ep. 55 is shortened, so it switches to the Japanese audio after Goku's standoff with the Dragon.
- I also had to shorten the ending narration in 55 since it's longer than the Japanese version, showing and wanting on footage from the next episode. I guess they wanted to show some extra stuff from the next episode so viewers didn't feel cheated by essentially a clip show? Consequently, the episode now ends on a different Tokunaga track from the Japanese version.
- Dan Dan is cut weird in the UK broadcast of Ep. 64. I filled in the dead space as best I could with the Japanese audio, but there was no way to smoothy transition back into the BW audio. If the mythical uncut Canadian broadcast audio surfaces, this would be the first V2 I'd do.
- In many episodes I tried to smooth over the occasional audio glitch (usually less than a second) using alternate sources, but the process was on an "as I notice it" basis and was thus by no means exhaustive.

And that's about all I can remember right this second. I hope this gives you a little insight on what to expect!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:12 am

Hey, everyone! I know it's been a long time since I posted this project, but I wanted to let you know that I did updated versions of 17 episodes! You can find them in the same MEGA folder as the opening post. I made V2s for the following:

27-32
34-36

The main goal of these V2s was to replace the gaps from the cuts for TV (which I originally filled with the Japanese broadcast audio) with the Funimation dub. This was to ensure that as much dialogue is dubbed as possible, allowing fans to watch without needing subtitles at any point (unless I missed something; please let me know if I did!). Thankfully the majority of the clips I used were close enough to the Japanese script that it shouldn't hinder the viewing experience too badly (aside from the sudden voice changes, but that was an issue anyway with the Japanese dialogue cutting in).

Also, while I didn't try and change every single grunt or reaction from the Japanese version to one from the Funi dub, I did try to do it when the same scene had
newly inserted Funi dialogue (so that one character didn't change voices three times) or when the sound of the BW voice paired a little better with the Funi voice (like a couple scenes where Goku coughs up spit or blood; I felt Slusar paired a little better with Nadolny in the one instance I saw and Schemmel definitely paired better with Yurk). I did my best to fix some of the biggest messes from the original version, such as the Vegeta/Bra scene from the Baby Arc (which still isn't pretty but works slightly better this time around, I think), the scene where Gohan chokes out Pan, a bit where I had to repeat a Mr. Satan line in 34, and Goku stripping in 8.

In addition, not every V2 episode has Funi dialogue inserted, but are more general fixes (like accidentally leaving out dialogue/reactions that BW did dub or correcting something that was slightly mistimed).

I'm leaving the original versions up just in case you prefer to have the Japanese dialogue fill the gaps, but if you're interested in this sort of fix I hope this is satisfactory! I may not be the best in the world at this type of audio stuff, but my hope is that this is good enough until someone more skilled puts out a more polished version. If there's anything I missed, please let me know!

My YouTube

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:42 pm

I really wish something like this existed for the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball. I'd do it myself but I don't think I have the time, skill, or hard drive space.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 am

Catsenti wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:42 pm I really wish something like this existed for the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball. I'd do it myself but I don't think I have the time, skill, or hard drive space.
Same to be honest!! A manga cut would also be awesome for the Blue Water dub and Manga cut for Oceans Dragon Ball Z

vegetasasuke0

Post by vegetasasuke0 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:12 pm

Catsenti wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:42 pm I really wish something like this existed for the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball. I'd do it myself but I don't think I have the time, skill, or hard drive space.
Not all the episodes of the blue water dub of Dragon Ball have even been found (or at least in tolerable quality) so it would be kinda hard to make a sync like that.