"Yabanverse" | A worldbuilding project that's like DBZ meets Warhammer 40k

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Yabanverse" | A new webnovel/serial

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Five Monkeys, drawn by Seacar
Five random Yabans, showing off the three main hair colors of the species
Three nagois, two bollois
Possibly NSFW

That electric hair, though

Four Vrodas, drawn by Ishida1694
From top left, clockwise: Kevelnege, Djuggesh, Ghojin, and Yulaan

All in silver-and-black Yaban battle armor

All four Yabanesses are Vrodas (lit. "Sisters"), which is a Yaban subculture not unlike our own "Bro," "Lad," "Cholo," or even gang subcultures (indeed, the most direct analog to Vroda kvltvr is the very old, pre-Hollywood Sicilian mafia back when it was a collection of scoundrel brotherhoods rather than an organized mob). Virulently macho, terribly violent with constant displays of physical dominance and aggression, but also with its own chivalry and warrior codes, Vroda kvltvr is hypermasculine by human standards and the fact it's a female-driven subculture puts the four further at odds with wider human society and traditions, making it even more advantageous for them to keep themselves largely hidden and off-world when they can.

Vroda kvltvr stems from the earlier "Vroda Kagora" [lit. "Sister Round," better translated as "Sororal Chivalry"], which was a more elite undertaking to hone bolloi aggression into a proper warrior society not unlike Bushidō. Yaban nature is far more violent than human nature, and certain types like Chaotic Yabans and Feral Yabans will never be tamed into a proper society, instead preferring (or in the latter case, instinctively driven) to live as ultraviolent barbarians living lives of unrelenting, perpetual struggle and combat. But Docile, Civilized, and Common Yabans can be molded to aim themselves in certain directions. For bollois, the old Kagora dao is a fascistic warrior paradigm filtered through the Ido Yarboggesh's Self King philosophical tradition and Sovagulan-style Death Worship channeled into a less chaotic militarist and war-guild social structure. Current vroda kvltvr is a much more gangster-like imitation.

See, it's things like this that are the reason why I'm doing any of this. It's just fun to worldbuild with my own creations rather than it feeling a bit hollow if I were to use Saiyajins
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Now for the ones that are definitely scraping NSFW territory, though all are censored because the female nipple is a force of massive Satanic evil

The Venuses from Mars, by Ishida1694
It's through playing with bollois that I inadvertently independently came upon some popular gender politics topics, like the fact women are raised constantly complimented for their prettiness and reinforced to be vain and romantic. Bollois (at least on Planet Kollidor) on the other hand go through life not unlike men, rarely if ever getting complimented on anything other than feats and ability

Yulaan vs Teiken by shiredora
Yulaan vs Godless by societyliver69 (the second half of an earlier image I posted)
The first one, I can roughly understand. It was inspired by old macho rock band photos (bollois being very macho, so it works out), but it's still pretty spicy regardless. Even those old promo photos could be spicy if that was your orientation, so it works to that end.

The second and third genuinely aren't trying to be "hot" or "sexy" at all, unless you find all those unintentionally homoerotic shirtless fight scenes sexy, which I suppose plenty do. Which on that note, I noticed that we don't get too many topless female fighters that aren't oversexualized, and as long as I could remember, I couldn't ever recall a mixed brawl between muscly, bloody, shirtless fighters. It's just our societal standards requiring any female to be censored, which is why we'd never see such a fight in the famously topless-fight-loving Dragon Ball since it's ultimately for kids. Because We Live In A Society™

Yabanverse stories won't have that rating limitation (for the most part), so the breasts can fly free.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:29 pm

More images!
The Yabanverse

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm

This is so cool, honestly, amazing work. I read some of your Little Miss Savage stuff a while back, I had no idea the concept had grown so expansive! How many collaborators have you got working on the artwork, did they volunteer or did you ask?

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm This is so cool, honestly, amazing work. I read some of your Little Miss Savage stuff a while back, I had no idea the concept had grown so expansive! How many collaborators have you got working on the artwork, did they volunteer or did you ask?
Many thanks
These are all commissions, so I paid for all this art.
And to be perfectly honest, the concept was ALREADY expansive when I first posted it here— I simply didn't explain much at the time because I felt I didn't have anything. Just about everything I posted in recent days already was a thing back in March/April. There's a reason I paid for so much art: as I've discovered, people respond more to visual art than anything written. There's something of a pyramid of popular awareness: thoughts in your head and rumblings on forums and to friends at the very bottom as the most diffused and least effective, and "multi-billion dollar live action Hollywood-tier multimedia franchise" at the tippy top, something on par with Star Wars or the MCU.

Any visual aspect at all puts you above that lowest tier, so the obvious route was clear. It's why webnovels like Worm are less well known than some mediocre webcomics, and popular webcomics are less well known than some mediocre TV/Netflix shows.

I have no idea when I'll continue on with the story itself.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 am

Some more worldbuilding, this time on gendered symbols!
Would it surprise anyone when I say that coming up with social expectations and ideologies was THE thing that made me decide to create Yabans rather than continue using Saiyajins back in 2017? I realized that if I was getting that specific that I was thinking of "what are some social constructs in Saiyan society?" I might as well create my own society.

And for Planet Vegeta Kollidor
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:18 pm

Even more art:
Running down the spectrum of bioelectric voltage, from top right down

First tier:

Zero Voltage [Hair Parted]: When Yulaan suppresses her bioelectricity down to human levels, causing her hair to fall flat

Zero Voltage: Fully suppressed bioelectricity, but with her bangs obscuring her eyes. Basically think Lucy Loud with shaggier, heavy rocker hair.

Low Voltage: Yulaan suppresses her bioelectricity, but not to zero. This causes her hair to appear very spiked and glammy, perfect for the 1980s or Scenes, and is the most "Saiyanlike" to me.

Second tier:

Resting Voltage [Hair Tied]: Yulaan neither suppresses nor enhances her bioelectricity, and also captures her hair with a tie of some sort. Her most iconic look.

Resting Voltage: Unaugmented bioelectricity, untied hair. If you've drawn her right, she looks like emo Caulifla.

High Voltage: When Yulaan (or any Yaban) enhances bioelectrical output. Bioelectricity often crackles around her in this state, and her whole demeanor becomes stressed and very battle-focused. It's almost like Super Saiyan 2.

Ought to point out that bioelectricity ≠ qi. Yulaan can use the full extent of her qi when Zero Voltage and can be secularized when High Voltage.

Yulaan's most common appearances, though with her drawn with Resting Voltage hair in the Travis Bickle get-up.

From left to right:

- Primal Yulaan (Resting Voltage, Hair Tied)

- Kommando Yulaan (Low Voltage)

- Bickle Yulaan (Resting Voltage)

- Casual Yulaan (Zero Voltage)

The Thunder-voiced Lord of War

A legendary ancient Yaban immortalized in Yeren mythology

Batzor is THE archetypal Chaotic Yaban and is renowned across Kollidor for his relentless brutality and Yaban hypermasculinity, as well as his evil, boyish face.

Batzor wasn't birthed— he punched and ripped his way out of his mother's womb and slaughtered his parents. Their bloody corpses were his first meal and, barely able to walk, he spent the rest of his first day in battle

Ripping themselves out of their mother's womb is thus known as a "Batzorian birth" and is only possible because of how quickly Yabans both gestate and mature— it takes only three months to go from conception to birth and only a week for a newborn Yaban to walk and, thus, fight and kill. As a result, if a Yaban child is even a week overdue, they can beat their way our of their mothers and birth themselves in blood and violence.

Yaban babies don't need milk— they need blood. Thus, this is ideal for them. Bolloi mothers typically survive and find extreme pride in Batzorian births, but yenoi mothers fear and dread this fate.

Batzor avoided becoming Feral, but was so violent that there was little difference. His whole life was a single long uninterrupted state of ultraviolence, and he enjoyed every moment of it as he grew stronger and more adept at combat. Most days were spent in a freakish state of aggression and nexcidium and he'd enter a bloodfreaked state often where his metabolism shifted and he fought for weeks or months on end— nonstop, without rest or feast til the end.

Thus, bloodfreaking is also known as a Batzorian High.

Batzor was also strange for a Yaban— unlike most of his comrades, he had an actual sexual appetite as well. Thus he was a popular stallion with Jinkai nymphs (an all-female species also native to Kollidor) and what few sexually active bollois existed in his time. And his time was extensive.

He lived for 2,500 years— Yabans do not die of old age naturally, instead cycling between youth and maturity endlessly, or at least they would if they did not often perish in battle.

Batzor became legendary even in his time as the Starbreaker/Godbreaker. Though he was not a star-level warrior by far, he seemed like such to his contemporaries.

He vowed to find the Ido Yarboggesh and lay waste to her loins, but after crossing the Thousand Year Desert, he proved unable to best the warlock in battle.

Not long after, his end began when he fought the demigod Abatai in a fistfight that lasted a thousand years. He won, but the moment his bloodfreaked state ceased, his hunger drove him to spontaneously eat his slain opponent— and then himself.

Batzor is remembered as one of the mightiest Yabans who ever lived, and is commemorated with an epic, mile-high statue protected by the God Getavara Himself at the Valley of the Godbreaker. He is a major character in Yeren mythology, which details Yaban mythological history from their origins 20,000 years ago up to Great Contact with Gosamyrs 2,000 years ago.

His cult of Batzor worship is extensive and something of a nagoi answer to Vroda kvltvr.
All drawn by Ishida1694
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:08 pm

Drawn by MrGorkMorkov

Sol Yulaan practicing qigong to form a ball of energy
I like this one. It makes Yulaan look like she's a character in some Dragon Ball-inspired indie game.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 pm

More Yulaan doodles from MrGorkMorkov

Drawn by Ishida1694

A poster done in the style of 1960s/70s Euro Horror exploitation films
This is part of a planned time-travel plotline to Little Miss Savage where she visits the mid-20th century (specifically 1964-1969 and 1987). Funnily enough before Saiyans existed in our pop culture, but that doesn't mean anything.

Sol Yulaan is El Bruja, a witch who haunts an abandoned Spanish church in the Tabernas desert in the summer of 1969. She practices martial arts and searches for the paranormal, and winds up the central obstacle in an honor dispute between three characters: a rugged outlaw/anarcho-syndicalist, an amateur witchfinder and full-time law enforcement officer, and a macho ibérico accusing the syndicalist of cuckolding him, disrespecting El Caudillo, and spreading communism. She gets involved in the matter after the witchfinder cop targets her and assumes she's caused the bloody dispute. The witchfinder, who professes to be a deeply devout Catholic and whom Yulaan believes really believes what he says to boot, doesn't know what to make of this Eastern mystical nonsense that Yulaan uses.

Yulaan: El Bruja, a masculine-feminine witch. "El" being a masculine article, but "Bruja" being the feminine version of "witch" (if used correctly, it'd be La Bruja; if Yulaan were male, El Brujo). It's supposed to be El Bruja, as coined by Chale Sr., because she's a bolloi, this androgynous cross section of visual femininity (for the most part) and behavioral hypermasculinity. Yulaan is a fish out of water, a xianxia warrioress who through circumstance bumbled into a pseudo-Spaghetti Western horror. Yulaan being a Yaban, a Vroda, and a vitakoze ("Deathkommando") by trade, she is well versed and immersed in the art of war, and her lust for conflict leads her to exploit her feminine appearance as a means of riling the macho and virulently misogynistic world of the mid-20th century to fight her, an easy thing to do. She isn't asking for respect or to be taken seriously— just the opposite. The less respect and more overt hostility she receives, the greater that itch of war is scratched, and what better place to visit to tear this itch bloody than Francoist Spain?

The Syndicalist: a cowboy-like vagabond, a bandit who disregards polite society to such an extent that he's dropped out of life to sail the open roads. The only part of his name we may know is van Zandt, which fits his Dutch appearance. However, this is very likely a false name. Very likely to have once been a disgruntled college student who lost his chance at fortune, and he speaks of seeing combat in the Rhodesian Bush War, possibly as a mercenary. The Syndicalist doesn't much like fighting and obviously has a cause for which he stands, as presented in his name, and tends to hold in contempt those who think he's a rebel without a cause. As the Syndicalist notes, people are so drunk on the current system's propaganda that they'll look at paradise and see nothing. However, he is also an antisocial road pirate, not exactly a good person. And it's this that got him in hot water with the Macho Ibérico, though it's his beliefs that make him an enemy outright. He quite adores Yulaan's free spirit and independence, but hates her horrific aggression and warlike views.

The Witchfinder: A Catholic cop suffering from Protagonist Syndrome as a result of a lifetime of consuming cheap media, religious fanatical writings, and conspiracy theories, he fashions himself as a modern day Witchfinder General, hunting wicked females in league with Satan, seeing them as the portal to modern degeneracy. As a result, he tends to use his position to arrest and harass women of varying and often questionable ages, as well as "sexual deviants." Though socially and politically aligned with the Macho Ibérico, the two actually despise each other. However, both agree that the Syndicalist is a bigger threat. The Witchfinder sees himself as on a modern crusade against the degenerates, pedophiles, Satanists, homosexuals, communists, and above all: the women responsible, the ladies of God led astray by carnal desires. It's for this reason he's obsessive about Yulaan, an androgynous-looking witch who's appeared in his jurisdiction.

The Macho Ibérico: A violent and virulently rightist man who believes himself to be a modern Casanova and beds many women. Essentially a mixture between Glenn Quagmire, Archie Bunker, and a wannabe Charles Bronson. He believes that society has deteriorated ever since Generalissimo Franco started liberalizing the economy. He believes that might makes right, anger is as far as he'll go with being "emotional," and women are made for lovin' all night. His conservative ideas on gender roles are what drives him to action against Yulaan, as he just wants to fuck her. He's like Sabatini in that he has no clue what a bolloi is or why they don't swing and bounce. And though he's for authority and might, he counterintuitively dislikes the police, feeling matters of law and order should be done by people's militias instead.

It's with plotlines like this that make it clear why it was a better idea to just create my own Saiyans with blackjack and hookers instead of actually using Saiyans and making a DBZ fanfiction.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Yulaan vs. Godless, drawn by Salvamakoto

(NSFW, but censored)
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Even more images!
"Here we are now! Entertain us!"
Drawn by Seacar
"Chibi Yulaan"
Drawn by TheFlicky
"A Yaban Watches a Saiyan"
Drawn bykshatriya
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:28 pm

"A Polite Discussion at Sea"
Drawn by Seacar

"Sol Yulaan and Sol Yuta"
Drawn by MrGorkMorkov

"The Skullcrusher Double"
Drawn by Seacar
Pellagesh
Drawn by Ishida1694
"Dala Katoka"
Drawn by Ishida1694
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Females of the Yabanverse, by Ishida1694
I'd call it the Estrogen Brigade, but bollois through a nexcidious monkey wrench into that one

From left to right: Bollois, Women (Human), Women (Abol), Women (Demon), and Myris

Bollois
• Sol Yulaan
• Kan Djuggesh
• Galgir Ghojin
• Ura Kevelnege

Women (Human)
• Carmen Gutierrez
• Liang Jiao
• Valentina Xaxalpa

Women (Abol)
• Seraphine
• Laktosha

Women (Demon)
• Sabbata
• Todora

Myris
• Rukia Sauveterre
• Mariko Lavigne

Showcasing the various females of the Yabanverse. Not all by far— there's plenty others, like more bollois, the Xaxalpa sisters, Shannon O'Malley, Sabbata's sisters, women from the Rongo Shogunate, females of the Ultoros, succubae, and so on. But this was just a general look at them.

Out of all of them, my favorite is obviously the bollois, if only because of how different they are on average from most other females makes it fun to discuss gender politics with them. Bollois are "female by technicality," since they do have ovaries and breasts and feminine faces, but that's about as far as they go with it. They're fun because they're unironic Strong Female Characters™/Men with Boobs™ played as straight as possible. So straight that quantum fluctuations stopped upon it. Also, they're almost literally Saiyans.

After that, I love myris because they're basically 80s elf girls. Seriously, imagine Skyrim-meets-GTA: Vice City with a little bit of 1780s Versailles thrown in. It's too a e s t h e t i c to pass up.

Background color also represents the general color scheme we (or they) associate with each brand of femalehood

Bollois represent white, Yaban yang, which represents force and masculine dynamism. See more here:

Women (both human and Abol) represent pink, because of a quirk of history where pink became feminine. Actually, Abol women don't have a gendered color per se, but they go along with pink just to make it easier on me

Women (Demons) represent purple as a darker, more shadowy form of pink

Myris represent purple as it's basically their neon-glam gendered symbol for femininity

Bollois:

Women:
Abols:

Demons:
Myris:
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Yabanverse Males: Nagois, by Ishida1694
• Ral Gungarus
• Ikon Zedakor
• Kan Xarshaggath
• Gor Ung

First installment of the various dudes of the Yabanverse.

• Nagois (Yabans)
• Men (Humans)
• Men (Narakans)
• Men (Demons)
• Myros (Gosamyrs)

I've been meaning to have more males drawn, but with Yulaan being the star character, well naturally...

The male counterpart to the Monkey Pack, these four are brothers in arms.
Because of our patriarchal society, it shouldn't have to be mentioned that they're masculine, being vicious and ruthless warriors— "nagoi" quite literally means "Warrior Person" so it's almost redundant in saying.
They're suited for the primeval hellworld of Kollidor, and they're natural-born killers.

While all four are warriors, they do differ in their particular niches. Gungarus is basically a genderbent Yulaan (both their names literally mean "Skullcrusher"), being of a very Docile and Spartan sensibility, but ultimately stems from Chaotic barbarians— just like Yulaan, his true home is in the primeval jungles and desert wastelands of Subotai, fighting other Yabans and Kollidorian beasts in a neverending prehistoric struggle. Alas, he's a space warrior.
Zedakor is a space pirate by trade. He looks the part, with his radical red hair. Even his name is suitably "80s sci-fi cheese." Of these boys, he's probably the most overtly "Saiyanlike" because of all this.
Xarshaggath is just like his sister, Djuggesh— a berserker. He's barely controllable!
Ung is probably the least overtly "warriorlike" since he's also a laborer, but he's still a good fighter and martial artist, though he prefers tournaments and gladiatorial matches. His qi is also incredible!

Nagois technically represent the yan of the Yaban's yin-yang-yan trijitu. Whereas humans have yin (darkness) and yang (light), Yabans have three poles, with their third being yan (fire).
Fire represents nexcidium— destruction. It's the fire burning the mountain. However, that fire is cooled by a core touch of femininity, representing nagoi self-control and mastery of that fire.
Yenois lack that nexcidious core (though they obviously still have nexcidium, being Yabans), while bollois lack femininity (ironically, considering they're females).
A good example of this might actually be the relationship between Gungarus and Djuggesh, both squadmates. Of the two, Gungarus is far more measured and less willing to commit atrocities, compared to the fanatically brutal Djuggesh. That said, most nagois are orclike and just want to bash things to death— enemies, each other, it doesn't matter. And when it's time to be civilized, they aren't that different from bollois. If bollois have vrodas, nagois have senjas— brotherhood. The senja kagora is their answer to the vroda kagora, and it is very similar, having a culture we'd find very familiar to chevaliers and mafiosos. That sort of brutal, macho honor kvltvr in particular. But as mentioned, it's not quite as interesting to talk about because we already expect male characters to be like this— it was only fascinating with bollois because for them it was so diametrically opposite of what we as humans view as female behavior. We don't expect females to be so hypermasculine, so it was worth mention and focus, especially considering the sheer totality of said behavior as opposed to, say, tomboys or Butch lesbians.

Nagois being Monkey Ork Boyz should be of no surprise. Likewise, it's also not quite as stark comparing them to various other males in the Yabanverse since, again, we naturally expect males to be masculine and the Yabanverse isn't subverting too many gender norms, save for the aforementioned bollois and the ever fabulous glammy Gosamyrs. Nagois are basically made to be barbarian skullcrushing warriors as a rule. The only really "unmasculine" thing to note is their lack of sexual virility due to Yabans being aro-ace as a rule. But for a nagoi, that just means the only thing they beat is their enemies. No sexual urges holding them back; it's all violence, all the time.

Go for the kill with your iron will!
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Yabanverse" | A worldbuilding project that's like DBZ meets Warhammer 40k

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 pm

Valley of the Godbreaker, by David Haire
Also known as the Valley of the Starbreaker, Valley of Batzor, and Tath vos Satvagarath (lit. Yeren for "Valley of the God/Starbreaker")

He whose strength shatter'd the stars

The Thunder-Voiced Lord of War forever stands tall before a procession of warriors. Down unto the crags of Kollidor, deep in the wastelands of Subotai, there is an immortal mega-statue of Batzor, the legendary warrior of Yeren mythology. On the path to his might, eight immortal Yabans raise their scimitars and tails in a fascistic procession: four nagois, four bollois, all mighty warriors.
The titanic constructs are beyond belief. Just one of the Eight Immortals of Satvyanism stands as tall as the Statue of Liberty— Batzor dwarfs them all, for the tip of his scimitar reaches above the clouds, not unlike the height of the pile of bodies he left behind in life.

Just viewing the raw might of the Godbreaker inspires aggression and bloodlust.

Batzor's sword is raised forever for war and ruination. Go! Fight! Kill! Kill! Kill! Spill blood! Die proud! Die angry! Give Getavara his fill! Tear the heart of Heaven itself! Let chaos reign!! Reign in blood!!

The constructs are often destroyed and ruined by fights and skirmishes wrought by Yaban bloodlust, but the god Getavara always renders them standing and renewed. He will never let Kollidor be laid to waste, for the ultraviolence of His insane creation is too eternally amusing to Him. So swords may crumble, bodies may crack, and limbs may fall, but know that it's but a temporary ailment.

Lore fact: "satva" (pronounced "satvya") is the Yeren word for both "god" and "star" due to their astrotheological folk religion. Hence why the Ido Yarboggesh is known as the Satvyan Ido, black holes are known as amotsatva (i.e. "dead gods"), and the Satvyan Eye is represented by a black star.
Visually inspired very heavily by the Valley of the Dark Lords from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 am

A Yaban Watches A Saiyan
Drawn by kshatriya

A fight-obsessed space monkey watches a show about a fight-obsessed space monkey

Sol Yulaan watches Dragon Ball while living on Earth Prime. It's been a long time coming!
Almost from the moment she was put on Earth up to this point, she was told by so many people that she absolutely had to watch Dragon Ball Z, and eventually after going through many other media properties, she finally relented. However, she decided to start with Dragon Ball, specifically the original Japanese run, and watch through the whole thing that way. What with her proficiency in Japanese, she doesn't even need subtitles.

She finally gets to see what these Saiyans she's so often compared to are like. There's something surreal about it!

A Yaban Watches More Saiyans
Drawn by Salvamakoto

Some time around 2023

Yulaan watches more Dragon Ball. The inherent absurdity of a Yaban watching Saiyans is not lost on her. But that's why she's doing it. Everyone told her she needed to watch Dragon Ball Z, referencing it the moment she arrived on Earth Prime. So here she is, watching the original Japanese airing.

What's interesting is that she actually prefers the other two wuxia/kung fu fantasy Shonen anime over Dragon Ball— Hokuto no Ken and Yu Yu Hakusho. Not that she doesn't like Dragon Ball. She just prefers the bloodier and gorier stuff.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:24 am

The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:22 pm

Sol Yulaan pencil drawing, by Richard Chan

Yulaan with her pet dragon Baphomet

And here's a video of it being drawn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZf41Z_SSVk
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:35 pm

Sol Yulaan and Sgt. Buck Roosevelt, 1965 by Ishida1694
Yulaan meets Gunnery Sergeant Buck Roosevelt in 1965.

Who is Buck Roosevelt? A very manly man.
Buck Roosevelt is a Marine who is a devout warrior, a man who has dedicated his life to the art of combat and self-reliance. He's been to Korea and is about to head to Vietnam.

Roosevelt is surprisingly one of the few men of these times who tolerates Yulaan, probably because she understands him in a way no female ever has before, at least not any he's met. He's not about to speak for, say, those Soviet sharpshooters or anything. But the broads over here, they're a different stock, he says.

He tells Yulaan about his life story. He was just a typical boy like Raymond Miller, except he was a kid in the '40s instead of the '60s. He was born in 1931 in Circleville, Ohio, and was raised reading pulp fiction and adventure serials, fantasizing about being some manly warrior like Conan the Cimmerian or Doc Savage. When the Japanese laid waste to Pearl Harbor, he didn't even particularly care about the people who died or gave their lives. He was still a little too young to understand it. He didn't understand what death was, honestly. And that's what the rich man wanted from him. That's when he started his path towards being a warrior. When he finally understood death, when his uncle came back home wrapped in a flag and in a box, and instead of grief, he said to himself, "I wanna die like him." He didn't know what he was saying. He knew what death was by then, but didn't really understand the eternal implications. But that didn't matter.

He was an all-American boy during World War 2, with the same surname as the President, obsessed with manly heroes. He would fantasize of being in Europe. 1940s, 1240s, didn't matter. He's the kid Yulaan wanted to know, basically. He's the man she's molding Raymond into.

In his teenage years, he was a solitary kid who worked out, fought other boys, and learned how to shoot straight. And then he joined the military and took to their lifestyle of restriction. Not to the same extent as Yulaan, admittedly, but he realized the importance of physical training and hardship. Thus to keep himself fit, he became a boxer and lumberjack after Korea.

He is a very manly man because he lives by the seven virtues of manliness: Manliness, Courage, Industry, Resolution, Self-Reliance, Discipline, and Honor. He lives in a log cabin that he himself built, and willingly goes to fight for his country. He's a man of Masculine Self-Denial.

To Yulaan, this is a righteous warrior, a worthy opponent.

And if this guy is impressed by how manly Yulaan is, surely that's saying something. If anyone can tell you which kind of Self-Denial she engages in, it's him.

Feminine Self-Denial is best exemplified by Chavela Xaxalpa, the bisabuela of Vicente and Chale Jr. (in fact, circa 1965, Chale Jr's grandfather, Chale Sr., was himself just a boy). Chavela is a Godly woman of who denies her mind the burden of being heard and who dedicated her life to her family and children first and foremost. She is a woman of boundless love and sacrifice to her children, working tirelessly every day to keep her husband and children happy.

Chavela Xaxalpa is a woman of gracefulness, gentleness, empathy, humility, and sensitivity— tenets of Marianismo.

Sgt. Roosevelt, an American, never met Chavela Xaxalpa, who lived in Mexico.

But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to tell you that Yulaan is clearly not of the same sort as her. Yulaan's Self-Denial is very much in the same vein as the Laconic ones, those Spartan warriors who denied themselves in service of a greater, more glorious cause. She also lives in a yurt she herself built, and even then only occasionally. Her house has few amenities, and certainly no pleasantries.
She goes further than he could even dream of doing himself. He lives in a log cabin and runs a farm, but he still participates in society. Yulaan could be a cryptid if she wanted to. She hunts almost purely; the only times she doesn't hunt her own food is when she's with another person and feels it'd be rude to reject offerings of food or pleasantry. Now that is honor, especially considering what she is. She should otherwise be killing everything she comes across, but her self-restraint is great.

She sleeps on the floor whenever she's in her own house. And when she isn't in her house, she gets comfortable on the Earth. Because she is a warrior, and that means she's often out in the world. Not every place has a bed, and while she could spend time getting comfortable, simply finding shelter to rest is more valuable time spent.

This is the antithesis of femininity. Chavela is not a woman who forgoes material comforts. Heck, the whole point of her Self-Denial is to make sure her family is comfortable. Ideally, the Man of the House rewards her quiet work with comforts. It's literally the woman's role to be pampered. The more comfortable she is, the better the family is. A woman adopting harshness and denying vanity is essentially denying femininity. To be feminine is to be vain. It's to make yourself presentable and spend time grooming yourself to cultivate beauty for the community. That doesn't mean obsess over yourself, but it does mean to avoid being "hard." A woman can help, but she is not supposed to build the house or provide for the family. That's the Man's role. A woman certainly can learn how to do these things, but it's peripheral to herself.

So says 1965 society, at least.

It is this utter explosive failure of femininity that platonically attracts Sgt. Roosevelt. That Yulaan is some wuxia wizardess of godlike strength is peripheral to that which interests him more. Many ladies have been described as powerful beyond measure; far fewer, perhaps not even the Amazons, have been described as so vicious and spartan. It attracts many in the 2020s, so naturally far more would be beguiled in the 1960s.
Buck's never seen a female so well-built or aggressive, and he sure as Hell has never seen one with a monkey tail or wild electric hair before. As to what bollois are supposed to be, he's still not entirely sure...

It should be stressed that, as it's 1965, Sgt. Roosevelt has absolutely no idea what Saiyans are— no one, not even Akira Toriyama himself would know for another 24 years, so the closest analog to Yabans he'd have are either demons or Yahoos (a la Gulliver's Travels), or, more questionably and of-the-era, American Indians. Or, of course, some of those evil races and hordes that populated the hero pulps he'd read growing up before his father forced him to start reading the classics (til he got his revenge by reading the sweats).

An image of Little Miss Savage: Middle American Mythology
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Sol Yulaan and Raymond Miller, 1965 by Fiztaart

When Yulaan goes back to the 1960s in Little Miss Savage: Middle American Mythology, she makes a side-mission out of a desire to find an average boy and raise him to become a warrior. Raymond Miller is that average boy. He's even average by his own admission, not being more than a B student or having high aspirations in life. But that's why Yulaan wants to cultivate him.
Raymond and his sister Linda Miller are about as "1965" as you can get, both being Baby Boomer kids. Plus, 1965 in America is not that much different from the mythologized 1950s— indeed, in many ways, the early/mid 60s are what America remembers the 1950s as being— a post-war pre-counterculture, highly stable, highly affluent WASP utopia where teens bop to rock and roll. This era of Modesto hives with Stepford wives; capable fathers, stay-at-home mothers, two and a half kids, and the family dog, of Silver Age comics and TV westerns.

To Yulaan, it's a fascinating time, the absolute barest possible version of the 2020s that's still recognizably such.
Now about the Miller household. It’s a classic WASP suburban household, perfectly attuned for the 1950s and ‘60s, to the point it’s actually cheesy.

Raymond loves movies as well as pulp fiction. He loves Doc Savage and Conan the Barbarian, and he loves sword and sandal movies and sci-fi B movies and adventure serials. His sister Linda hates them, but she loves romantic comedies and big historical drama pieces. They only share a love for gangster flicks. But while she loves the glamorous lifestyles and set pieces, he loves the violence and manly characters.

They're almost like a parody of WASP suburban gender roles, Raymond and Linda.

Raymond is a Boy, Linda is a Girl.

Raymond likes comic books, jet planes, adventure comics, war planes, and sports. Linda likes fashion, talking to her friends on the phone, romance, and pop idols.

Raymond annoys Linda with gross stuff like the Rat Fink, while Linda annoys him just by talking.

Raymond plays with science kits and obsesses over baseball icons. Linda used to play with dolls and is in love with the Beatles.

Raymond has a pet dog. Linda has a pet cat. The two animals get along better than they do.

Raymond is a little troublemaker who stops short of wearing a slingshot in his pocket. Linda is a model big sister.

They get on each other’s nerves, but they do still love each other as all-American siblings would.

This is early 60s suburbia distilled into actual humans. You couldn't write a more cliché set up if you tried.

Hence why Yulaan blows their minds. Especially Raymond. Linda finds her gross and toxic, while Raymond finds her to be the antithesis of everything he ever knew girls to be. Girls aren't tough and aggressive like this! Girls aren't blunt and brutal. Girls cry easily and only think about boys. He sees her casually kill a deer and not flinch. But aren't girls supposed to freak out and cry about this stuff? She sees a rat on the floor and pounces on it. She grabs it, bites its head off, and eats the rest. That's not how girls work! Girls scream in fright at rats!

Yulaan says she can't speak for all females. But he's talking about human girls, isn't he? A bolloi who screams over a fuckin' rat is getting lynched.

She is absolutely a Top Gun macho vroda, one who wears the blood and bruises of a brutal fistfight with pride.
That's probably the hardest thing to really communicate to people— the sheer raw machismo latent in Yulaan and the vrodas. It's not just that Yulaan is a tomboy, a lady who can keep up with the boys while maintaining some feminine energy. I mean Yulaan just totally lacks feminine energy altogether. Most bollois seem to. There's a reason Planet Kollidor is considered to be so hypermasculine— though you do have yenois, nagois and bollois are just so macho that the stench of their nexcidium overpowers the planet. It's almost like yin and yang between Kollidor and Sarrat, with the far more feminine-oriented Gosamyrs.

That's not to say she disrespects femininity. Indeed if anything, she's always been far more tolerant of it than some of her vroda mates. She recognizes fully the need for womanliness and femininity and doesn't trashtalk it as something unnecessary for women to cultivate. Then again, she is a bolloi who has no stake in our human game of life.

And yet that's literally just the surface reality of Yulaan's life. He's not even scratched the surface of the tip of the iceberg because of the depths of Kollidorian lifestyles, mythologies, cultures, and Yulaan's own personal history that drives her. And to some extent, he literally can't understand her. Much like Sgt. Buck Roosevelt, he's a product of his environment, and the closest analog he might understand would be Amazons.

Actually, considering her bioelectricity, Raymond thinks of Yulaan as the Female Zeus. Knowing who Zeus is and how he behaved, Yulaan finds this ironic considering the sexlessness of Yabans. Though that does bring up a funny thought: imagine a Yabanfied Zeus... would that basically be Thor with a monkey tail?

On that note, just like Roosevelt and everyone on the planet, there is no understanding of Saiyans. A godlike battle-obsessed monkey-tailed space warrior is 100% novel to him. As an American boy, he also has no knowledge of the likes of Sun Wukong or Hanuman. Say "Sun Wukong" to him and he'll either say "Bless you" or think you're talking about some spinoff of King Kong about an ape named Sunwu.
The Yabanverse