Completed Animated Film - LEGEND - A DRAGON BALL TALE

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Completed Animated Film - LEGEND - A DRAGON BALL TALE

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:58 am

https://youtu.be/1JKLM45aIik

It takes some liberties with the material, but I think it's a lot of fun, if given a chance. Also post credits scene

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Completed Animated Film - LEGEND - A DRAGON BALL TALE

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:19 am

I remember seeing when this was first announced. This was masterful.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:39 am

I saw the teaser for this a few years ago and was blown away by it. This is probably the best fan animation I’ve seen for this franchise.

Also, Super Saiyan just looks so much cooler when they keep their tails.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:01 am

Nice one. Also, Vegeta does the Kamehameha. Yes, that's what surprised me the most, even amongst all the other oddities.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm

The animation and style are absolutely incredible. Like, holy moly, I'm blown away. I can't wait to see what these guys do next. Unlike other fan animated projects, the voice acting is pretty solid, too.

Like other fan projects...the story and characterization is so off that...why even make it Dragon Ball? For this amount of effort and quality, why not just create a unique martial arts story? I guess it's a good way to get eyes on the project, at least.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:16 pm

batistabus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm Like other fan projects...the story and characterization is so off that...why even make it Dragon Ball? For this amount of effort and quality, why not just create a unique martial arts story? I guess it's a good way to get eyes on the project, at least.
imho, characters were rearranged, but there was enough of the original character's personality and setting that it's still Dragonball, just a remixed version. Like an AU. Does seem like some time travel/multiverse shenanigans are happening.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:26 pm

It melds DBZ's hyper kinetic action with the chinese mythology of original Dragon Ball. I fucking love this.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:13 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:16 pm
batistabus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm Like other fan projects...the story and characterization is so off that...why even make it Dragon Ball? For this amount of effort and quality, why not just create a unique martial arts story? I guess it's a good way to get eyes on the project, at least.
imho, characters were rearranged, but there was enough of the original character's personality and setting that it's still Dragonball, just a remixed version. Like an AU. Does seem like some time travel/multiverse shenanigans are happening.
Eh, some characters are closer than others. That's fine and works as an AU fan interpretation. My intent is not to criticize, but instead to advocate for them to create their own production they can take full ownership of.

Either way, I'd be happy to see these guys work on a future official Dragon Ball work.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:54 pm

https://www.cbr.com/dragon-ball-goku-gh ... ade-anime/

A wonderful action fanwork. Great animation and fighting, the characters were faithful enough in both art and character, and the new stuff was acceptable enough (Vegeta and Broly appearing at the tournament between Goku and Chi-Chi, Super Saiyan Ghost Rider VFX and tail). This crew did spectacular work IMO.

I only wish it could have been a bit funnier. But it was great enough.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:42 pm

The artstyle is lovely and the animation is the best I saw this year!

The Sun Wukong transformation was beautiful and better than most forms we've been having lately. Considering Goku character roots, I would love Toriyama to pull off something like that. Unfortunately feels like with him we are stuck with recolors.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 am

I think it's the best we could realistically expect from a fan film, that is, for an 11 minute feature with no budget, just passion and creativity it's damn near flawless.

The art is gorgeous, animation is incredibly smooth and fluid, all while feeling very retro but in a way that's made for the modern age.

The logos and graphics were quite creative too, the former especially is quite professional looking.

Not much to say on the story since it's so short, and
but for a retelling of events from both OG Dragon Ball and Z in a new way the writing was very concise and effective.

Voice acting is on point, Jordan Woollen sounds good as Goku, clearly inspired by Schemmel, his Vegeta is quite mature sounding, which is fine as this is a retelling, Elsie Lovelock was brilliant as Chi-Chi, Jason Alexander Sukhram was what you would expect from Broly given his role.

The fan service was nice, got to love
and
I'm going to give Legend : A Dragon Ball Tale a 9/10. Great job from Naseer Pasha and everyone at Stray Dog Animation Studio. Hopefully they get to do more like this in the future.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: