AMV: "Flashback" (2022; HD Reanimated Scenes)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

AMV: "Flashback" (2022; HD Reanimated Scenes)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:02 am

Of all the places I somehow forgot to post this on my own forum?! :lol:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GicUX5DjcO4
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/w5h4av/amv_flashback_hd_reanimated_footage_concept/
AnimeMusicVideos.org: https://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=207394

I regularly made AMVs from roughly 2000-2010. Kanzenshuu basically took over my free time life shortly thereafter, and I fell off the AMV wagon pretty hard.

So now it's been twelve years since I last made an AMV, and the bug bit me. It's been so long, that I wanted some kind of experiment or "warm-up" kind of video to see if I still had it in me before really committing myself to the redonkulous in-depth dramatic narrative videos I used to love making the most.

I thought about the fact that there is modern, native, HD Dragon Ball footage these days, which I knew like the back of my hand and could easily futz around with. That sounded fun, but what would the concept even be?

Rather than using something like the full Dragon Ball Super television series (which I didn’t even really care for that much anyway), and rather than limiting myself to something like a single-movie AMV (so Battle of Gods and the like were out), I came up with an interesting way to force a concept onto another concept:

HD footage, but only HD footage that reanimates old scenes.

So here's "Flashback"...! If you want to read a ton more words about the editing process and what it's like to get back into the swing of things after a decade-ish, I wrote up a gigantic blog post about it.

The video is on YouTube, on Reddit, and I (of course) went ahead and made a catalog entry for it over on AnimeMusicVideos.org.

Thanks for checking it out, I suppose!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Re: AMV: "Flashback" (2022; HD Reanimated Scenes)

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:45 am

The AMVs bring back memories :). Also in HD and not in the low resolution of early 2000s. I remember the first AMV I downloaded back in the days of dialup and it took over 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure it was less than 3 MB and .3GP format.

I also rally liked the Flashback video. It's nice seeing all the modern animation over the years from the different sources. It reminded me another AMV that compiled cutscenes from the video games to the song "Where Were You Last Night". Not a very fitting song though but it was cool since I hadn't seen most of those cutscenes before.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Really nice editing! The transition between sources was handled really well.

I also see that you left in a shot of Chilled as well as shots from Nagamine's opening, which kind of 'break the immersion', but I suppose they fit the general vibe and flow of shots. I should clarify that I don't think these are bad decisions whatsoever, just that their inclusion was a nice surprise considering the title of the AMV and most of the shot flow led me to believe that you were just trying to recreate the scenes from the first comic.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:08 pm

What a great job done here, I really enjoyed this!
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

LukeRobertsArt

Post by LukeRobertsArt » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:25 pm

Awesome stuff! I always forget how much reanimated footage we've had over the years.