Creating Videos - Basic Questions...

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Creating Videos - Basic Questions...

Post by SDNess » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:06 pm

Back from the dead. :D

I want to try the area of video making/editing on computers. A couple of my friends have made some cool game/anime music videos in the past. It looks fun, but extremely complex. What can I do to get started? Software? Hardware?

I'm guessing I'll need several programs...one for the actual filming of the game/anime, one for editing, one for playing (WMP + Divx Player will do.)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Creating Videos - Basic Questions...

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:49 pm

SDNess wrote:Back from the dead. :D

I want to try the area of video making/editing on computers. A couple of my friends have made some cool game/anime music videos in the past. It looks fun, but extremely complex. What can I do to get started? Software? Hardware?

I'm guessing I'll need several programs...one for the actual filming of the game/anime, one for editing, one for playing (WMP + Divx Player will do.)
Basic hardware these days consists of little more than a computer and a CD/DVD-ROM drive. Almost all video can be digitally ripped/extracted from their sources, and converted (or at least "frame-served") to appropriate video editing applications.

Software is however in-depth you want to get. You can start out with Windows Movie Maker (which I actually suggest, because any experience you can get with ANY kind of non-linear editing is a plus; simply learning how to place video over an audio track, in the first place, will help big time later on). You can go with Adobe Premiere, if you really want to jump in. And if you're looking for some brain-farts, you can try and figure out how to use Adobe After Effects in conjunction with Premiere.

For playing back video... all you need is your default multimedia application (Windows Media Player), and to make sure you have whatever codec the video is encoded in installed on your system (DivX, XviD, etc).

Basic answer for a basic question! If you want anything in more depth, lemme know.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:21 pm

I think that avatar is too big, and sig images aren't allowed either...

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:33 pm

I'd suggest looking down a couple of lines to the "How...? (Even just getting started with AMVs" thread, which also has some pointers.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]