Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:All humanoid characters were given 5 digits because they would have to pay a fine to show characters with less on TV. Due to Japan's history, they don't like to show anything that could be related to yubitsume, the act of cutting off a finger to pay for a crime (usually associated with the Yakuza).
I believe that's actually because that's often associated with the burakumin.
(although I wouldn't be surprised if the yakuza were involved with this kind of burakumin-related lobbying)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:All humanoid characters were given 5 digits because they would have to pay a fine to show characters with less on TV. Due to Japan's history, they don't like to show anything that could be related to yubitsume, the act of cutting off a finger to pay for a crime (usually associated with the Yakuza).
I believe that's actually because that's often associated with the burakumin.
(although I wouldn't be surprised if the yakuza were involved with this kind of burakumin-related lobbying)
Well, I can't say anything more for myself, as that is about all I know on the matter. lol But, Wikipedia seems to think that burakumin make up over half of the the yakuza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin# ... membership),...of course, this is Wikipedia, so I still can't vouch for it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:43 am

This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:27 pm

It's amazing how involved* I am with this comic. I felt quite disappointed when Radditz got blasted. Sure, it's not really a surprise, but I was actually quite happy that he was getting in some shots. Well, uh, maybe he's just faking it. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket.

*As in emotionally. I'm not actually involved with the writing or translating or anything like that.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:11 pm

I, too, am reading this without much regard for it being a fan manga. Usually I tend to avoid most fan fiction. And if I do indulge it I never give it much credibility. This is the very first time I'm reading through it as if it were a legitimate sequel.

That's one of the reasons why the possibility of evil Vegetto bothers me so much. It will break my suspension of disbelief and make me fully aware that this is not official. Or, at least, annoy me by becoming contrived like GT.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be evil, so much as a play on the established ideas and themes of the series. I think that's part of writing a good fan fic (or spin-off/sequel in general), taking what is established in the series (the insatiability of the Saiyans and their need to fight) and taking it to an extremity that Toriyama might not have thought of of had the writing strength to do. It's like the Bardock special, in some respects.

I think if there's any good character-driven story to be told with Vegetto it's with taking the extremity of the character as a battle-hungry Saiyan in need of a challenge and driving it to the point where the line becomes blurred. By the end of Dragon Ball, the comic, it is--in some ways--hard to see the beginning. I think bringing that idea into a story is a nice little wink to the out-of-universe aspect of the series and its evolution.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:17 pm

That's something that always bugs me, though. Yes, the Saiyans love to fight. But we've also seen that Saiyans, particularly the ones Dragon Ball focuses on, are also capable of compassion, restraint, familial love and all the values humans hold dear.

Goku loves to fight. It's his reason for living. But that doesn't mean he's bloodthirsty. It just means he...loves to fight. A lot of characters in fiction love to fight. Ryu, Wolverine, Rocky. But that doesn't translate to "I want to fight so badly I'm willing to kill people to satiate my need." Every one of those characters, Goku and post-sacrifice Vegeta included, have enough innate morality to not do that. So I don't see how Vegetto would essentially become a stone cold killer. Both of his components had settled down in mostly peaceful lives prior to fusing.

Besides, if Vegetto were that hard up for a good fight, the solution isn't to slaughter people substantially weaker than he is. That's not getting a good fight. The real solution would be trying to figure out a way to make potential rivals (be it Gohan, Bra, Piccolo, or whoever) stronger through training, fusion, etc.

I could imagine Goku's naivete and Vegeta's just not giving a shit translating into Vegetto getting a couple Potara and sneakily trying to put them on Gohan and Piccolo's ears while they slept to much hilarity when he inevitably gets caught. Or doing what the U16 special implied and trying to toss Bra and Pan in the RoSaT. Basically a mischievous troublemaker rather than an ax crazy lunatic.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:48 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:That's something that always bugs me, though. Yes, the Saiyans love to fight. But we've also seen that Saiyans, particularly the ones Dragon Ball focuses on, are also capable of compassion, restraint, familial love and all the values humans hold dear.

Goku loves to fight. It's his reason for living. But that doesn't mean he's bloodthirsty. It just means he...loves to fight. A lot of characters in fiction love to fight. Ryu, Wolverine, Rocky. But that doesn't translate to "I want to fight so badly I'm willing to kill people to satiate my need." Every one of those characters, Goku and post-sacrifice Vegeta included, have enough innate morality to not do that. So I don't see how Vegetto would essentially become a stone cold killer. Both of his components had settled down in mostly peaceful lives prior to fusing.

Besides, if Vegetto were that hard up for a good fight, the solution isn't to slaughter people substantially weaker than he is. That's not getting a good fight. The real solution would be trying to figure out a way to make potential rivals (be it Gohan, Bra, Piccolo, or whoever) stronger through training, fusion, etc.

I could imagine Goku's naivete and Vegeta's just not giving a shit translating into Vegetto getting a couple Potara and sneakily trying to put them on Gohan and Piccolo's ears while they slept to much hilarity when he inevitably gets caught. Or doing what the U16 special implied and trying to toss Bra and Pan in the RoSaT. Basically a mischievous troublemaker rather than an ax crazy lunatic.
I guess it wasn't too clear, but when I said "taking it to the extreme" I meant past the point where Vegetto loses his reason. All that he knows, all that he feels, is that he wants to fight. But at the same time, neither of us know all of the details behind what is going to happen here. Vegetto could just be trying to egg the others on to fight him. Heck, maybe he's come to the conclusion that nobody exists that can ever hope to challenge him. I don't know. All I can say is that the idea is an interesting idea to develop.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Well, in the U16 novelisation, he mentions to Muuri that it's a combination of him having two Saiyans, thus 50+ years of battle experience twice over within him, and that when you become a Super Saiyan, you sometimes get all sorts of strange ideas, and he recalls some of the uncharacteristically stupid things both Goku and Vegeta have done in the past due to the power they've attained. He said to Muuri that the idea of destroying the universe wasn't really for a challenge, but him being bored and just wanting to get rid of everything. And as YBM said, it's also a case of his sanity slipping. In the latest chapter of the U16 fic, he gets the thought again and starts getting seriously angry, screaming that "MUURI WAS RIGHT!", indicating that one day he might just lose all traces of reasoning.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm not denying that it's possible DBM will go in that direction and Salagir has a thought out plan for making it happen. What I'm saying is that it's grossly out of character at best and just plain bad at worst. Regardless of how well thought out it is, I just think it's a terrible plot device. Which is why I'm hoping that it turns out to be either a misunderstanding or somehow out of Vegetto's control.
Last edited by TonyTheTiger on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 am

Awww I was hoping for Raditz towin :(....
But I shouldnt be sulking since the fight isnt offcially over yet.
-凯

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

WE HAVE A WINNER
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:20 pm

I figured it was the end for Raditz, but at least he managed to survive the match if nothing else.

I predict the next page will announce the next match, then we're probably on our way to yet another special chapter, if the past so many have been any indication.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:29 pm

If the tournament proceeds normally, we'll see Bardock vs King Cold in the next round. Sounds awesome.
But if his visions tell us anything, the tournament may just be interrupted before we get there.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I hope we see one of the Kaio Shins next match. There are a good number of them left.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm

For a second there I thought that was Bardock on top of Raditz. I thought he went back just to taunt him.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:45 pm

funrush wrote:I hope we see one of the Kaio Shins next match. There are a good number of them left.
I believe only the South one is fighting. And he already did in this first round.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Aw, Raditz, nooo.
Well, this was pretty inevitable.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:07 pm

So, who do you think we'll be seeing in the next fight? I'm hoping to see this Super Namek in action soon.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm going to bet U13 Vegeta fights U9 Trunks.