Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Pantalones » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I actually preferred the Bojack chapter's art to this one, because it was different and looked somewhat dark and edgy.
I would've described it as "really ugly and trying too hard to be dark and edgy," but eh... different people like different stuff I guess.

Some of the faces (Freeza's especially) in the new one do look a bit odd in some panels, but overall I still prefer it to the Cell and Bojack specials.

As for Hanasia... no idea what the name means. All I got on Google that seemed vaguely vegetabley is that aloe drink company; even dropping letters and rearranging it (hanas, hanasi, etc.) didn't come up with anything that seemed likely for a Saiyan name. It is an anagram for "ASIAN HA," though.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm

The art isn't bad but I can still see the issues with consistency. Faces and bodies seem to change slightly from panel to panel.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Scarz wrote:The art isn't bad but I can still see the issues with consistency. Faces and bodies seem to change slightly from panel to panel.
This isn't aimed towards you, so don't take it that way. lol But I don't really see the problem people keep having with the art. So what if its not a perfect representation or always consistent? Toriyama is guilty of the exact same thing all the time, he just doesn't get half the flak these guys do because he was the original artist. I mean, I love the man's art, but he lacks anything close to consistent quality (especially once we hit the Z portion of the series).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:38 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Scarz wrote:The art isn't bad but I can still see the issues with consistency. Faces and bodies seem to change slightly from panel to panel.
This isn't aimed towards you, so don't take it that way. lol But I don't really see the problem people keep having with the art. So what if its not a perfect representation or always consistent? Toriyama is guilty of the exact same thing all the time, he just doesn't get half the flak these guys do because he was the original artist. I mean, I love the man's art, but he lacks anything close to consistent quality (especially once we hit the Z portion of the series).
Dragon Quest 8 says hi.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Dragon Quest 8 says hi.
And that means what to me?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Mr. Toriyama worked on it, shows he can be consistent.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:04 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Mr. Toriyama worked on it, shows he can be consistent.
What does Toriyama doing single sketches as concept art for a game have to do with trying to draw a series with the same quality of art all the time? Just look through the DB manga, there are quality drops all the time...and I'm not complaining about that, I understand how hard it is to try and draw a comic with consistent art, I'm just saying that people are bitching about problems in a fan comic that the original suffered from as well. Seriously, look at how many ways he's drawn Gohan here, the first panel is hideous, the second and last are good, and the rest are decent:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:35 am

There is a difference in bad panels/good panel ratio however.
From the page you posted, personally,from me it's only the first panel where we see Gohan that seems to be of, with that head and thick neck. The rest don't stand out as anything particulary bad , so all in all that pages looks good.

The page from the fancomic however, there is just one panel of Freeza where I think he looks good and one of Zarbon.
If he didn't try to copy Toriyama's style maye it wouldn't have stood out so much, so maybe there is a consictency problem with images where the artist succeeded in getting that style right and those where he didn't.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:24 am

Michsi wrote:There is a difference in bad panels/good panel ratio however.
From the page you posted, personally,from me it's only the first panel where we see Gohan that seems to be of, with that head and thick neck. The rest don't stand out as anything particulary bad , so all in all that pages looks good.

The page from the fancomic however, there is just one panel of Freeza where I think he looks good and one of Zarbon.
If he didn't try to copy Toriyama's style maye it wouldn't have stood out so much, so maybe there is a consictency problem with images where the artist succeeded in getting that style right and those where he didn't.
I agree the ratio is much different, but Toriyama is also a professional with a lot more experience. From the time Toriyama submitted his first work and then wrapped up Dragon Ball, he had been drawing manga for a living almost longer than I've been alive. I will admit that his experience isn't the sole factor for the generally better quality though, as I've seen younger people do much more impressive work, but I do think that some of these artist are being held to an unfair standard (not the Bojack one... lol). Multiverse is a fan project, so why is everyone trying to hold it on a pedestal and expect perfect quality when even Toriyama doesn't give us that? Even though the main story's art is of a much higher quality, Gogeta Jr.'s isn't infallible either. There are actually quite a few characters that I feel look off (Bujin, Babidi and Fat Buu are big offenders), but I don't complain about it. The art in a lot of the specials, like the current Bardock one we are on, is really good too. The bad panels don't look any worse than a lot of the off looking scenes in the anime. Some panels may not look perfect, but they are still good and very recognizable. Not to be a jerk to the artist, but it isn't like we're looking at Freeza's like this: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2 ... Zmanxx.jpg

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 am

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I for one, don't cut profesional author's any slack when it comes to judging their art and Toriyama is no exception.
Wether the artist is a profesional or an amateur doesn't matter. What matters is the visual experience and if the art is spotty enough for the reader to be bothered by it, then story as a whole sufferes.

I'm not saying this is the case here. From what I can tell, this is one of the better stories, but there is room for improvement and that room makes itself noticed a little to often.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Pantalones wrote:
I actually preferred the Bojack chapter's art to this one, because it was different and looked somewhat dark and edgy.
I would've described it as "really ugly and trying too hard to be dark and edgy," but eh... different people like different stuff I guess.
Well, that's your opinion. I didn't think it was brilliant, but it was good enough. Either way, I preferred that special's art to this one, which I describe as "ugly".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:02 pm

I think better art should be expected it since unlike Toriyama they aren't on a weekly special and have to crank out a chapter's worth of pages every week.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
What does Toriyama doing single sketches as concept art for a game have to do with trying to draw a series with the same quality of art all the time? Just look through the DB manga, there are quality drops all the time...and I'm not complaining about that, I understand how hard it is to try and draw a comic with consistent art, I'm just saying that people are bitching about problems in a fan comic that the original suffered from as well. Seriously, look at how many ways he's drawn Gohan here, the first panel is hideous, the second and last are good, and the rest are decent:
He was in control of the art(Well character designs) and look of the game, and it one of the best looking games for the ps2 system. Shows he can put out good work.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:He was in control of the art(Well character designs) and look of the game, and it one of the best looking games for the ps2 system. Shows he can put out good work.
I don't think you are getting the point that they are two completely different things. Fist off, he only handled the designs, which has nothing to do with how the finished product was handled. He could have done the best design work the world has ever seen and the game could have turned out horrible if the game's team sucked. Second, its much easier to draw a couple of characters as part of some concept art than it is to have to continuously draw 13-ish pages every week, year after year after year.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:He was in control of the art(Well character designs) and look of the game, and it one of the best looking games for the ps2 system. Shows he can put out good work.
I don't think you are getting the point that they are two completely different things. Fist off, he only handled the designs, which has nothing to do with how the finished product was handled. He could have done the best design work the world has ever seen and the game could have turned out horrible if the game's team sucked. Second, its much easier to draw a couple of characters as part of some concept art than it is to have to continuously draw 13-ish pages every week, year after year after year.
Al I am saying is that he can do good work. As for his manga stuff, considering he was on a weekly basis, no wonder.
Akira Toriyama is Akira Toriyama no matter the medium of work.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Al I am saying is that he can do good work. As for his manga stuff, considering he was on a weekly basis, no wonder.
Now one said that he can't do good work. He just isn't always perfect. No one is perfect. Well, exept Cell. :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Al I am saying is that he can do good work. As for his manga stuff, considering he was on a weekly basis, no wonder.
Then you have missed the entire point of the conversation and basically replied for no reason, because I never said he couldn't do great work when he isn't on a deadline. The whole point was that he does have fairly apparent quality drops on occasion when he's forced to pick quantity over quality.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:36 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Then you have missed the entire point of the conversation and basically replied for no reason, because I never said he couldn't do great work when he isn't on a deadline. The whole point was that he does have fairly apparent quality drops on occasion when he's forced to pick quantity over quality.
That is with anybody and is only stating the obvious that can be applied to anybody so really there was no point to the convo I supposedly missed.
Last edited by Saimaroimaru on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:That is with anybody and is only stating the obvious that can be applied to anybody so really there was no point to the convo I supposedly missed.
Exactly, its part of my point that I felt needed to be emphasized. Most of the artists drawing these special chapters aren't professionals (judging by the ones I follow on DA), they aren't making a living off of drawing manga, and I'm sure many of them have other things going on in their lives. It may not be the same weekly deadline Toriyama had, but doing full on manga chapters is much harder than drawing a single image whenever you want. The fact that the quality is as good as it is most of the time should be appreciated and not bitched about. This is a fan project they are doing because they want to, and we're lucky they are sharing it with the Dragon Ball community. We aren't entitled to anything, we should be grateful. It isn't like they are telling the story with stick figures...

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler