Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Couldn't it be done like a monthly Manga instead of every two days? It could definitely fix the pace issue.

And it would make for a much interesting read. Maybe not even changing their work pace but their release pace.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm Couldn't it be done like a monthly Manga instead of every two days? It could definitely fix the pace issue.

And it would make for a much interesting read. Maybe not even changing their work pace but their release pace.
This question comes up a lot so I've asked Salagir about it before. He said releasing by page is the usual fan/web comic format so they decided to stick to that. It also gives fans the option to read it by page or wait to read more pages at once since that's what many fans choose to do. If it's only released by chapter then that's the only option for those don't mind reading it by page.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:07 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm Couldn't it be done like a monthly Manga instead of every two days? It could definitely fix the pace issue.

Or you can just wait and stack up pages.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 am

The page by the page release is terrible from a pacing standpoint, because it requires every page to have a hook for the next one. Reading the current style several pages at a time leads to a story that doesnt get to breathe and is constantly jumping to the next big event on the following page. It's a terrible way to tell a story.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 am The page by the page release is terrible from a pacing standpoint, because it requires every page to have a hook for the next one. Reading the current style several pages at a time leads to a story that doesnt get to breathe and is constantly jumping to the next big event on the following page. It's a terrible way to tell a story.
To be honest I've never noticed this problem with fan comics. If I find a discover a new one, I usually enjoy bingereading them. The majority are released by page but there are still newer fans who mention catching up in one sitting. I get some people having a problem with it but I think the only way it would change is if fewer people were willing to read it by page and the author saw the most traffic at the end of a particular chapter.

I do feel that fan comics don't get as much breathing room. The fights are also far shorter than any average DB manga battle. I'm only aware of two fan comics that released by chapter every few months and I didn't notice a big difference in terms of pacing since it still had to move along quicker compared to an official manga.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 am

The fix to his problem is to have more than just Asura drawing the main story.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:32 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 am The fix to his problem is to have more than just Asura drawing the main story.
I feel this solution comes up a lot but it's not really that simple. After Gogeta Jr left, a few artists volunteered to help out for a little while until a permanent main artist was found. Special artists have more leeway and some take a few years to draw a special because they only work on a page every month or two.

In the Fan Comic Compilation thread, you'll find almost every story only has one artist and usually it's the writer. That's a major reason why very few fan comics are completed because the only artist loses interest or burned out and there's no replacement. Even if an artist is commissioned to draw, they're usually only willing to draw a few pages and not several chapters. Asura is more of an outlier because I think he's the only fan comic artist to draw for that long for free.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:11 pm

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:33 pm

*groans in absolute boredom*

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Jesus, another two or three months of shitty Broly specials.

I am seriously starting to hate this fanmanga.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 pm

The dumpster fire quality of this whole thing is what keeps me coming back.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:03 pm

That's..not an April Fools' joke, right? This slog of special will continue? Well, if there is one reassuring thing, after it's over, no more Broly :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:17 pm

This is fucking painful this chapter is pointless and sucks as we already know everyone is dead and he wins. There's zero fucking tension and now they drag it out into TWO chapters. Fuck. off.

Just alternate artists for the main story jesus christ.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:39 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 pm The dumpster fire quality of this whole thing is what keeps me coming back.
I don't get these kinds of comments. Fans have constructive criticism from time to time but I don't understand how DBM is the only fan comic that has people claiming the whole thing is bad and still dedicate time to reading it. It's just one of many fan comics so it doesn't really deserve more investment than what usually given to fanfic once someone no longer enjoys the story or looks forward to it. I'm one of many translators who volunteers because some people would like to read it in their own language.

If it's all a dumpster fire then that implies everyone who volunteers to translate or draw anything has poor taste and that it's all a waste of time. This the internet so these kinds of comments are expected but even then I try to avoid something like that when commenting on a story especially a fan project.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 am

Skar wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:39 pmI don't understand how DBM is the only fan comic that has people claiming the whole thing is bad and still dedicate time to reading it. It's just one of many fan comics so it doesn't really deserve more investment than what usually given to fanfic once someone no longer enjoys the story or looks forward to it. I'm one of many translators who volunteers because some people would like to read it in their own language.

If it's all a dumpster fire then that implies everyone who volunteers to translate or draw anything has poor taste and that it's all a waste of time. This the internet so these kinds of comments are expected but even then I try to avoid something like that when commenting on a story especially a fan project.
For whatever it's worth, I don't read other DB fan comics, unless you count Toyble's. This one keeps me morbidly curious, because apparently there just is no bottom. I'm perfectly allowed to see it that way and to get enjoyment from that.

That's not an insult to your work. Keep doing what you're doing. Keep getting the fulfillment you get out of it. If anyone is still genuinely enjoying the story, don't let me ruin that for you.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 amFor whatever it's worth, I don't read other DB fan comics, unless you count Toyble's. This one keeps me morbidly curious, because apparently there just is no bottom. I'm perfectly allowed to see it that way and to get enjoyment from that.
I think that's fine and I wouldn't tell anyone they're not allowed to have their preference. I guess these kinds of comments standout to me because I've been reading fanwork for almost ten years and have only seen a handful of people who specifically read a fan comic for this reason. It's usually been for DBM as more fan comics unfortunately no longer updated. A long running professional series that declines in quality usually suffers a drop in sales and TV ratings since less people are invested in the story. There could always be some who only continue watching because they want to see how bad it could get but not enough compared to the fans who used to like it and decided to watch something else.

I'm curious if that reasoning is worth the time since it conflicts with what a general audience wants out of a story. I think it reached a low point but most people still reading hope the authors could learn from their mistakes and improve the story moving forward. Would the morbid curiosity end there if the story improves and this remains the bottom or would you continue reading hoping it reaches a new bottom? Would you feel disappointed if it didn't? I don't have a fanfic and I've only had a parody series. These are the questions I would be curious about if someone read them for this reason.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:41 pmWould the morbid curiosity end there if the story improves and this remains the bottom or would you continue reading hoping it reaches a new bottom? Would you feel disappointed if it didn't? I don't have a fanfic and I've only had a parody series. These are the questions I would be curious about if someone read them for this reason.
I couldn't tell you. It's not so much that I'm actively seeking to scratch a certain type of itch (ie: "so bad its good" stuff), and that Dragon Ball Multiverse is the thing that scratches it. What I get out of Dragon Ball proper has changed a lot over the last ten years. Despite this, I still end up clicking on this thread and catching up on what I've missed, every so often. And as I read it, I'm enjoying myself.

It's not "the Dragon Ball sequel I wish we got instead of GT" to me, like it was 10 years ago. "An entertaining dumpster fire" was an off the cuff attempt at approximating what it is to me now. I do enjoy laughing at my past self, so maybe that's involved? Or maybe this is just the "The Room" of DB fan comics, to me. Mix of both?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pmIt's not "the Dragon Ball sequel I wish we got instead of GT" to me, like it was 10 years ago. "An entertaining dumpster fire" was an off the cuff attempt at approximating what it is to me now. I do enjoy laughing at my past self, so maybe that's involved? Or maybe this is just the "The Room" of DB fan comics, to me. Mix of both?
I guess but it's a little unfair to call it that if it's only one of the few fan comics you've read. There's plenty of bad short-lived fanfiction out there but they don't have much of an audience or demand for them to update. When I used to browse fanfics or fan comics, I've seen some bad ones and my curiosity usually ends in a few minutes before I move on to something else. Even then I wouldn't comment on them that they're the worst I've ever read. I think the whole concept of fan fiction is a niche audience of the overall franchise fanbase. It's usually only people interested in the stories that take the time to read them which why guess these types of comments standout to me.

It's hard to explain if you haven't made a fan project yourself. My parodies get the usual obscure fan work audience so only a few people leaving a nice comment and most not interested enough to leave any feedback after reading it. I had comment a few years ago that said "I don't get it, what's the point? I've read until Vegeta turns SSJ and I still don't see what's the point. Where is the Komedy? What's all this nonsense?". I asked him what I could've improved on but he never came back. I would respect if he had any constructive criticism but I also respect he probably didn't consider it worth his time to read more of it.

TheBritWriter
Banned

Post by TheBritWriter » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Having a second artist to work on a chapter in advance is doable, it's just a matter of finding the person that has the time and trusted for the job, as well if the secondary artist can match the style of the primary. If Salagir has the time to co-ordinate this then I believe he would have, I can't imagine he be short on artist interest, even on voluntary basis. However having that secondary or third artist and relay on them to do the job is another thing altogether.

It may also be possible that Asura wants to work on all the chapters, or that Salagir wants a consistent style and is content with Asura's, although if he left then Salagir will have a tougher time trying to find a suitable replacement given the high standard of drawing quality beforehand.

I think a concerning issue is the specials are becoming a deterrent to reading the mains. Serving a purpose to give the main artist time to draw is fine, but the stories need to be not just good, they have to be exceptional. Dragon ball Multiverse is a good name and has a good template to expand ideas on, but if the specials are prompting more 'I'll come back when it's done' then it affects reputation, viewership and even interest in the comic because they may not come back (even to read the full chapter) if the material that is being put out in-between isn't meeting expectations.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm

TheBritWriter wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:59 pmI think a concerning issue is the specials are becoming a deterrent to reading the mains. Serving a purpose to give the main artist time to draw is fine, but the stories need to be not just good, they have to be exceptional. Dragon ball Multiverse is a good name and has a good template to expand ideas on, but if the specials are prompting more 'I'll come back when it's done' then it affects reputation, viewership and even interest in the comic because they may not come back (even to read the full chapter) if the material that is being put out in-between isn't meeting expectations.
My man TheBritWriter! I think that's always been a concern in DBM. Before the last few specials we've had, Salagir said they were the only ones available at the time. Last I heard was that a U7 and U13 specials were bring worked on but I'm not sure of when they'll be completed.

I remember years ago when there were more ready and they were released at four pages a week. If it reaches a point where there aren't completed specials available, it would probably be a collection of a few shorter incomplete ones or a break between chapters like what I've seen other fan comics do. Neither one id an ideal solution but most artists only volunteer to draw at their own pace.