Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm

In the Cooler Movie Goku doesn't go to Yadrat and since the manga picks up a year later Gohan could have regrown his tail and lost by the time the Trunks saga starts.

Anway how about the fact that Salagir says Goku and Vegeta mostly maxxed out in the Buu saga where AT says otherwise.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Goku's actual power doesn't max out. I'd say his growth rate does until he finds other methods of increasing it.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Goku's actual power doesn't max out. I'd say his growth rate does until he finds other methods of increasing it.
Salagir said Goku and Vegeta hit a wall in the Buu saga and so the DBM versions aren't a lot stronger than the Buu saga counter parts.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:In the Cooler Movie Goku doesn't go to Yadrat and since the manga picks up a year later Gohan could have regrown his tail and lost by the time the Trunks saga starts.

Anway how about the fact that Salagir says Goku and Vegeta mostly maxxed out in the Buu saga where AT says otherwise.
Toryama actually said something similar. We've been discussing it in this thread.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=24082
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Goku's actual power doesn't max out. I'd say his growth rate does until he finds other methods of increasing it.
Salagir said Goku and Vegeta hit a wall in the Buu saga and so the DBM versions aren't a lot stronger than the Buu saga counter parts.
Well he's wrong, but what else is new?
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:58 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Did he really say this? Because at the same time he's been hinting that Vegeta has discovered a power greater than Gohan. :?

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:23 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:In the Cooler Movie Goku doesn't go to Yadrat and since the manga picks up a year later Gohan could have regrown his tail and lost by the time the Trunks saga starts.

Yeah, but that would be filling in a plot hole that exists within the movie itself. If the movie itself doesn't fill in its own plot holes... they're still plot holes.

DBZ M5 is about the same level as DBZ M1 in terms of fitting into the manga or anime: it mostly fits, but there are a few key things that prevent it from really meshing. DBZ M9 and M13 are probably the only two higher than those, fitting without any overt errors (outside of the usual Goku-hax).

Anyways, I think it's fair to say that Dragon Ball in general has a very loose canon, and I tend to ignore problems so long as I can squint and turn my head, and it looks fine... so to speak.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:33 pm

CaBrPi wrote:DBZ M5 is about the same level as DBZ M1 in terms of fitting into the manga or anime: it mostly fits, but there are a few key things that prevent it from really meshing. DBZ M9 and M13 are probably the only two higher than those, fitting without any overt errors (outside of the usual Goku-hax).
With 13 there's also the issue of the Trunks sword thing, especially with what the ending theme seems to apply. But that's easily ignorable IMO, the ending credits animation in all the other movies had nothing to do with adding to the plot to the movie, so there's no reason this one was either.
Anyways, I think it's fair to say that Dragon Ball in general has a very loose canon, and I tend to ignore problems so long as I can squint and turn my head, and it looks fine... so to speak.
That's what I do a lot too. Heck, that's what I do with the exact same issue above. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:With 13 there's also the issue of the Trunks sword thing, especially with what the ending theme seems to apply. But that's easily ignorable IMO, the ending credits animation in all the other movies had nothing to do with adding to the plot to the movie, so there's no reason this one was either.
I find it really dumb when people use the credits to justify why that movie can't fit. For all we know, the credits were meant to show us a mirror effect of a coming of age for young Trunks. Like "Remember this guy? Yeah, now little Trunks is on his way to be just as cool as him!". He isn't, but whatever.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:05 pm

CaBrPi wrote:

Yeah, but that would be filling in a plot hole that exists within the movie itself. If the movie itself doesn't fill in its own plot holes... they're still plot holes.

DBZ M5 is about the same level as DBZ M1 in terms of fitting into the manga or anime: it mostly fits, but there are a few key things that prevent it from really meshing. DBZ M9 and M13 are probably the only two higher than those, fitting without any overt errors (outside of the usual Goku-hax).

A plothole is: "a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot".

A character acting in an illogical way (like they do in all movies) isn't a plothole. The movie not showing Gohan growing back his tail (i.e. not showing an event responsible for a minor cosmetic change) is not a plothole.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Well he's wrong, but what else is new?
How is he wrong? That sounds completely right. They hit walls all the time, and don't get much stronger until they overcome them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Toriyama basically said as much himself. I'm all for calling him on his bullshit, but this isn't it.

I'd think it was much stupider if Goku and Vegeta somehow DID get much stronger from cryptic and non-descript "training". At least stronger in a way that actually mattered (i.e., strength that would put them in the Fusion Saga tier).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm

DNA wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:With 13 there's also the issue of the Trunks sword thing, especially with what the ending theme seems to apply. But that's easily ignorable IMO, the ending credits animation in all the other movies had nothing to do with adding to the plot to the movie, so there's no reason this one was either.
I find it really dumb when people use the credits to justify why that movie can't fit. For all we know, the credits were meant to show us a mirror effect of a coming of age for young Trunks. Like "Remember this guy? Yeah, now little Trunks is on his way to be just as cool as him!". He isn't, but whatever.
I think you might have misunderstood me, cuz I agree with that sentiment. I was just pointing out that a lot of people do use it as a valid point, when I don't think it really has impact on anything at all.

Hmm...actually, how long before GT was movie 13 being worked on and came out? Maybe the re-use of that footage and the weird suggestion was linked to the way they made Trunks a little more like his future counterpart in that series.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:34 pm

DNA wrote:That may be, but he said he follows the Manga timeline. Direct contradiction or not, Coola does not exist in the manga.
Salagir wrote:At this point, you may wonder which movies did happen and which didn't, from DBM and Universe 18 point of view.
So here is the answer:
In universes 18 and 16:
* Films 1 to 7 didn't happen. I frankly don't know why they know Coola and how he died in their universes
* Film 8 (Broly) happened but a little differently, and just before Cell Games
* Film 9 (Bojack) happened
* Film 10 (Broly's return) happened, but with a totally different story
* Films 11 to 13 didn't happen
* The new OAV with Table didn't happen
* Dr Raichi's OAV didn't happen
* Telefilm Baddack may have happened, maybe a little differently
* Telefilm about Trunks didn't happen in universes 16 and 18, but in 12 (and maybe 14...)

In some other universes, some events of some other movies did happen.
By "I frankly don't know why they know Coola and how he died in their universes", I guess he still hasn't (or hadn't back then) come up with Coola's story?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I think you might have misunderstood me, cuz I agree with that sentiment. I was just pointing out that a lot of people do use it as a valid point, when I don't think it really has impact on anything at all.
No, I did not misunderstand you, I was adding to it.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:By "I frankly don't know why they know Coola and how he died in their universes", I guess he still hasn't (or hadn't back then) come up with Coola's story?
Movies 8, 9 and 10 happened, which contradicts with the manga completely. It does not matter how much he twists and turns, he is trying to retcon the manga to serve his purposes, which is worse than what GT ever did.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:53 pm

1, 5, 9, and 13 all fit in the timeline, and contain some good potential fighters, so I don't have a problem with three out of four of those being thrown in there. Manga purism is boring.

I DO, however, mind that Salagir changed basically everything about Broly and made him his pet character. I think we should come up with a new name to differentiate the two Brolys...
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:02 pm

DNA wrote:Movies 8, 9 and 10 happened, which contradicts with the manga completely. It does not matter how much he twists and turns, he is trying to retcon the manga to serve his purposes, which is worse than what GT ever did.
No, he just follows the manga & said movies. By your logic, DBM contradicts the manga because it never happened in the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:1, 5, 9, and 13 all fit in the timeline, and contain some good potential fighters, so I don't have a problem with three out of four of those being thrown in there. Manga purism is boring.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:No, he just follows the manga & said movies. By your logic, DBM contradicts the manga because it never happened in the manga.
It's not about how I, or you, feel about it. It's about Salagir claiming manga purism and then contradicting it with his own actions. He can't claim his doujinshi is closer to the manga and then retcon it with movies that contradict the original work. That's hypocritical and flat out stupid.

I would be more lenient if Salagir wasn't so arrogant about his own work.

About Broli, I would have taken a very different course and eliminated so many universes. Instead of the savage Saiyans and the Super Saiyans, I would merge them both.
Broli was spared and wasn't insane, instead he was revered and viewed as a sort of messiah. King Vegeta kept quiet and awaited his opportunity. After a few years Broli was vastly stronger and could achieve the Super Saiyan form, so the Saiyans led a campaign against the Freeza Clan and we're somehow victorious. Mostly thanks to Broli's immense power. From there a prosperous era began for the Saiyans, with some of them achieving Super Saiyan.

Participants; Vegeta and Kakarrotto as Super Saiyans from Universe 13, Bardock as a pre-cog Super Saiyan from Universe 3, you eliminate the need for Universe 20's Broli and the Saiyans from Universe 10. Broli could tap into Legendary Super Saiyan 3, he could potentially go toe-to-toe with Gogeta, never with Vegetto though.

I've just eliminated the bullshit of 4 universes, condensing them into one.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 pm

No, he doesn't retcon anything from the manga events for the movies. We don't see Bardock's story in the manga, so he puts an alternative TVS1 there. We don't see what happens during the 10 days, so he puts an alternative M8 there. We don't see what happens during the 7 years, so he puts M9 there. We don't see what happens during the month before the 25th TB, so he puts an alternative M10 there. We don't see what happens to Tapion, Dr. Raichi, Coola, XXI, etc before the manga, nor we are ever told if they exist or not, so he has them dead in the manga (presumably). We don't see what happens 10 years after the end of the manga, so he puts DBM there.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:No, he doesn't retcon anything from the manga events for the movies. We don't see Bardock's story in the manga, so he puts an alternative TVS1 there. We don't see what happens during the 10 days, so he puts an alternative M8 there. We don't see what happens during the 7 years, so he puts M9 there. We don't see what happens during the month before the 25th TB, so he puts an alternative M10 there. We don't see what happens to Tapion, Dr. Raichi, Coola, XXI, etc before the manga, nor we are ever told if they exist or not, so he has them dead in the manga (presumably). We don't see what happens 10 years after the end of the manga, so he puts DBM there.
Yes, that is the definition of ret-conning. Adding stuff to where previously was nothing.