Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am

He could explain Cold being stronger by making that detail be a consequence of the differences between the universes. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am

Or doing something like giving him Coola's "extra" transformation to boost his power.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Kaboom wrote:Or doing something like giving him Coola's "extra" transformation to boost his power.
Yes. Any simple and logical explanation like that would work. Even something in line with what they have already stated about their difficulty in controlling their natural power.

For example, they could explain that Cold, in his original state, when he fought Trunks in the main universe, had virtually the same (usable) power that Freeza had in his maximum. However, they could say that, out of the three, Cold had always been the one with the least control over his natural power. Which is why he didn't transform to fight Trunks... Even in his original form he wouldn't be stronger than Freeza and he would have less control than Freeza had.

However, in this universe, Cold learned to fully control his natural power in his original state, he learned to focus his power and use it way more efficiently. That change in how he used his natural power in his original state, allowed him to raise his power to new maximum levels and power up considerably. Using the same logic, they could say that Freeza also became stronger by doing this, but his improvement was nowhere as great as Cold because Freeza already had much better control over his original form and power compared to Cold.

There. A simple and logical explanation that even goes in line with what they have already stated.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

The new page is up, but it looks like they did that weird uploading again where the text isn't really on the picture so to speak, so I can't really post it here as of yet.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Last edited by DHM211 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm

...I stand corrected. I couldn't get it to work at any rate. :P

Anyway, now Raditz is acting a little more like I would expect. And I wouldn't even know that was Hanasia if it wasn't for hindsight or whatever. She just looks so...mannish here.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Is it just me or do these ghosts come off as more...er...alive than they do in Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm a little confused here, since they're ghost couldn't they just come back like what happened in the movie? Also I sense a little OOC'ness.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Hasn't anyone else been reading the last page or so of the thread? This is DBM, where it doesn't matter how things worked in the original material!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:00 pm

The more I read the less I like this fanmanga. It used to be somewhat good but it keeps trying to stretch my gullibility far beyond of what I can take. As stated many times, Salagir is not that talented and is too much biased for my taste. The only thing that keeps me coming back is morbid curiosity.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Isn't this a special chapter? Done by someone else than the creator of the main fan manga?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Isn't this a special chapter? Done by someone else than the creator of the main fan manga?
Not this one at least. It's drawn by Beta, the script is by Salagir.

Edit: A new chapter of this special is available for us team members, just the first page already makes me want to punch my own face. I hope he changes the text before the page is actually released.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Still hate that Hanassia crap. Ruins the whole Low level Saiyan who rises above all expectations when she and Bardock (who also shouldn't) are above the King. Seriously imagine the re-write for Goku vs Vegeta.

Vegeta: I am a Super Elite of finer breed even though both your parents were stronger then my dad.

Goku: So wouldn't that make me Super Elite.

I also still hate that bitch Bra. Every time she opens her mouth crap comes out. Hopefully she will get better as the story flows.
Thank you, you stated exactly what was one my mind. I commend you.
Someone seriously needs to make a DBM parody out of that. :lol:
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

Saiga wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Salagir ignores everything he doesn't like outside of the manga, and he has even given himself the right to change any of the movie characters that appear in DBM. BUT. His big mistake is that he is using the French translation, and not the original version of the manga, which is why First Form Freeza's battle power is 53.000 and not 530.000.
That's also the problem with Cold being stronger than Freeza. While the Japanese version of the manga makes Freeza's superiority clear, the French version apparently doesn't.

Freeza's power nerf doesn't affect my enjoyment main comic because it isn't brought up there, but it does make it harder for me to take Salagir seriously. Same as Broli's infinite power, I suppose.
Impossible, unless he uses the old French dub for the anime (which would be a weird move). The French translation for the manga is accurate and even checked by the Japanese staff according to Glénat (not that I know how they can do that...).

I can confirm that Freezer states: "I am currently at 530,000. Do not worry though, I do not intend to unleash my full power".

About Cold, Ten Shin Han only states: "He's not alone... There's another huge power along with him..."
Gohan states: "Did you notice, Krilin?... There's another huge power similar to that of Freezer by his side..." and Krilin answers "Yep, noticed... How could I not? It's gigantic..."
Later, when the ship lands, Krilin only states "and there's someone else with him, as if it was not enough!..."
The following comments about Yamcha being stunned by the power level mention only Freezer as being "that unimaginable power", "a real monster", etc... ignoring Cold, meaning they don't notice Cold that much in comparison.

The anime does have an extra scene that appears in the Anime Comics and where Vegeta thinks "And there's another power that's even more gigantic than his... Who could it be...", but that statement is anime-only and does not appear in the manga, whether it's Japanese or French.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am

I remember reading an article that Salagir wrote in one of his websites, and he had a scan that was in French and it had Freeza saying 53.000, instead of 530.000, and Salagir wasn't even aware that it was a mistake, and he was coming up with theories for it to make sense. Or something like that. It's been a long time, but I'm sure I saw that French scan in Salagir's site, with Salagir being unaware that this was a mistake. Maybe it was a French scanlation instead of an official release, or an old official translation?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am

Maybe the old translation for the manga, I'll check it out when buying my Anime Comics at the end of the month, since the old edition is - unfortunately - still available in stores, it could be a typing mistake.
Or a scanlation as you said.

Either way, as a fan, he should really use the new translation made for the Tankobon and Kanzenban and available since many years here!
Although the old translation for the manga was nowhere near the disaster of the old French dub, it was also far from the current retranslation and had some major quirks, like using some dub names, applying a language that didn't fit the characters, simplifying the information or being dead wrong sometimes, like Piccolo screaming to Ten Shin Han to block Nappa's attack, which is a pretty bad advice coming from a warrior like Piccolo!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I remember reading an article that Salagir wrote in one of his websites, and he had a scan that was in French and it had Freeza saying 53.000, instead of 530.000, and Salagir wasn't even aware that it was a mistake, and he was coming up with theories for it to make sense. Or something like that. It's been a long time, but I'm sure I saw that French scan in Salagir's site, with Salagir being unaware that this was a mistake. Maybe it was a French scanlation instead of an official release, or an old official translation?
Since we're on Kanzenshuu, I think we should use facts not long distant memories (which can sometimes be wrong as yours partially is here). I just checked Salagir's site and the part about powerlevels is here. And sure, you're partially right: in the lower part of the site (after more or less standard fan-rambling about powerlevels with lots of 0s) we have the "Version Salagir. Avec preuves à l'appui.". He tries to establish a coherent version of Freeza saga powerlevels using two statements as his source:
"Ma force est de 530 000!!" (dit à Nail) = "My power is 530 000!!" (said to Nail)
"Héhé... ma force doit être de au moins 100 000 maintenant" (dit à Végéta, Krilin et Gohan alors qu'il vient de se transformer (en "Freezer Taureau") = "Haha... My power must be now at least 100 000" (said to Vegeta, Kuririn and Gohan after his [Freeza's] transformation)
Salagir later counts everything and gets a nicer, more balanced way of counting powerlevels - everything based upon this 100 000. BUT (and here comes the point on which you were 100% wrong) Salagir knows that all of this is based on a typo in the French edition and writes in huge red letters:
Salagir wrote:NOTE: ce qui suit dans le comptage est basé sur une ERREUR de traduction de Glénat. Ce qui suit est FAUX. Faux selon les canons des sources DB/DBZ, vous vous trompez en affirmant que Freezer est au max à 530 000. Par contre j'ai téléphoné à Toriyama et il trouve ma théorie juste et que c'est celle là qui devrait être suivit, mais ce n'est bien sûr pas officiel.
NOTE: the following counting is based on an ERROR in the translation of Glénat. The following is FALSE. False according to canons of sources DB/DBZ, you are wrong when you say that Freeza's max is 530 000. Yet I called Toriyama and he found my theory right and it is this one that should be followed, but, sure neough, it is not official.
SIDENOTE: As you can see from the last sentence Salagir is being what he love to be - ironic. For more "info" of this type, go here. You surely will get a good laugh :) /SIDENOTE
So no nerf of Freeza for you. Also, should you want to see the aforementioned chart of powerlevels for the u13, here you go:
This image comes from Salagir's comment on the 471 page of DBM. BTW: how on earth can you nerf somebody by writing that their power is "infinite"?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 pm

So, if I understood right, Salagir thinks that the 530.000 is the mistranslation, and not the 100.000?! :crazy:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:Is it even possible to have a villainous Mary Sue? I'm not sure someone who engages in comedic sociopathy like beating the shit out of her infant son and dangling him by the tail is anything close to a Mary Sue.
This made me laugh more than it should have. Thanks for that.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

It is completely possible to have a villainous Mary Sue, by the way. It's just less noticeable because villains generally need to be super-strong or otherwise unique to pose a threat.