DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6153
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Holy crap, can we drop this nonsense already?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
DanielSSJ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by DanielSSJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Since we have gotten extremely off-topic, I have a DBZ:Abridged question. So how about that Bojack guy? I wonder if in the movie, he'll be the same stereotypical pirate that he was in Season 1.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:...
Look, you are completely free to think that Saitama is not a gag/parody character or that, even if he is, he can/should be compared logically to other characters... You are even free to continue stating that just about every argument on the contrary is just "coping out" or making "fanboy excuses"... However, imo, that doesn't make sense and the reasons to why that is have already been presented and explained multiple times by various people.

Btw, imo, regarding your link, as it's been mentioned already, the existence of characters that are even more "toony" and even more gag and/or parody than Saitama, like Arale, doesn't mean that Saitama is not an gag/parody character. That would be akin to saying that an action movie is not an action movie because another action movie has even more action in it.

That pretty much resumes the debate and there's no point in going in circles any further.
DanielSSJ wrote:Since we have gotten extremely off-topic, I have a DBZ:Abridged question. So how about that Bojack guy? I wonder if in the movie, he'll be the same stereotypical pirate that he was in Season 1.
I'm sure he will be some sort of a natural evolution of how they presented him. I'm curious to see how exactly they will pull it off.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5996
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 pm

rereboy wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:Since we have gotten extremely off-topic, I have a DBZ:Abridged question. So how about that Bojack guy? I wonder if in the movie, he'll be the same stereotypical pirate that he was in Season 1.
I'm sure he will be some sort of a natural evolution of how they presented him. I'm curious to see how exactly they will pull it off.
Maybe they'll make him a Jack Sparrow rip-off.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here
Posts: 2058
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 am
Location: Space USA
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:
rereboy wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:Since we have gotten extremely off-topic, I have a DBZ:Abridged question. So how about that Bojack guy? I wonder if in the movie, he'll be the same stereotypical pirate that he was in Season 1.
I'm sure he will be some sort of a natural evolution of how they presented him. I'm curious to see how exactly they will pull it off.
Maybe they'll make him a Jack Sparrow rip-off.
Eh...I don't see Bojack playing Jack Sparrow very well.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:35 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by testing223 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Remember Bojack has 2 forms...
I play baseball and work in LA.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5663
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 pm

rereboy wrote: Look, you are completely free to think that Saitama is not a gag/parody character or that, even if he is, he can/should be compared logically to other characters... You are even free to continue stating that just about every argument on the contrary is just "coping out" or making "fanboy excuses"... However, imo, that doesn't make sense and the reasons to why that is have already been presented and explained multiple times by various people.

Btw, imo, regarding your link, as it's been mentioned already, the existence of characters that are even more "toony" and even more gag and/or parody than Saitama, like Arale, doesn't mean that Saitama is not an gag/parody character. That would be akin to saying that an action movie is not an action movie because another action movie has even more action in it.

That pretty much resumes the debate and there's no point in going in circles any further.
First of all, you obviously did not watch the video, or didn't pay attention to it, since one of the main things they were explaining is that a 'gag character' and a 'parody character' are two separate things. Watch both videos again as they completely destroy your arguments.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
First of all, you obviously did not watch the video, or didn't pay attention to it, since one of the main things they were explaining is that a 'gag character' and a 'parody character' are two separate things. Watch both videos again as they completely destroy your arguments.
One character can only be a gag character or a parody character, right?

It's impossible for a character to be more than just one thing, it can't be a gag character and a parody character, or be a mostly parody character with gag elements and also action shonen elements, or be a gag character with parody elements, and so on, right?

Just like an action movie can only have action... it can't have some other elements in it at all, right? No drama, no horror, no sci-fi, no fantasy, no, movies and characters can only have one single element and that's it...

The video correctly implies that Saitama is more parody than gag, but that doesn't mean that he's just one thing, nor did I ever argue that is just gag and no parody. I went out of my way to always put "gag/parody" precisely because I never wanted to claim he was just one of those elements.

Besides that, the discussion in the video just wastes time on stuff that doesn't matter. "Saitama got hurt by a cat!" Well, duh, it would be funny if it happened so it did... Is that really that hard to understand given the kind of character that Saitama is? That kind of stuff happens even to characters who aren't really gag or parody, like Goku hitting his head on a rock or something, because they have an element of humor to it... Saitama also got owned by a normal mosquito, simply because it would be funny... and in the next moment he is being faster and stronger than anyone can believe and beyond what is logical like it's nothing. How does this really matter for the discussion? "Show me a feat that demonstrates infinite power!" Ah, are we going to waste time on all random claims from somewhere on the internet or are we going to actually argue what matters? It's just a poor discussion all around...

The bottom-line regarding these two characters is that that they are both gag/parody characters, with Arale being more gag and Saitama being more parody. Both are presented as characters that defy logic and/or consistency, but Arale defies it even more and, looking at feats shown, she has more impressive ones. A logic comparison really can't be made because the characters don't really obey logic... we can however force out a comparison and ignore all that and just say that Arale is stronger because the feats shown happen to be more impressive if we were to put numbers on it, but that's not really much of a logical comparison.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5663
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm

rereboy wrote:One character can only be a gag character or a parody character, right?

It's impossible for a character to be more than just one thing, it can't be a gag character and a parody character, or be a mostly parody character with gag elements and also action shonen elements, or be a gag character with parody elements, and so on, right?
Please explain how Saitama is a 'gag character', as none of his fights or feats rely on gag logic.
The video correctly implies that Saitama is more parody than gag, but that doesn't mean that he's just one thing, nor did I ever argue that is just gag and no parody. I went out of my way to always put "gag/parody" precisely because I never wanted to claim he was just one of those elements.

Besides that, the discussion in the video just wastes time on stuff that doesn't matter. "Saitama got hurt by a cat!" Well, duh, it would be funny if it happened so it did... Is that really that hard to understand given the kind of character that Saitama is?
You missed the entire point of mentioning that. It's to point out the hypocrisy and worthlessness of the 'gag character' argument, as first you have fanboys saying he can beat anyone 'because he's a gag character', but then say that he gets hurt by weak things for the same reason! In other words, it's just an excuse used to justify anything, even if they have to contradict themselves. You can't use the same excuse to both claim he is invincible and beats anyone and to explain why he gets hurt by cats and fails to kill mosquitoes.
That kind of stuff happens even to characters who aren't really gag or parody, like Goku hitting his head on a rock or something, because they have an element of humor to it... Saitama also got owned by a normal mosquito, simply because it would be funny... and in the next moment he is being faster and stronger than anyone can believe and beyond what is logical like it's nothing. How does this really matter for the discussion? "Show me a feat that demonstrates infinite power!" Ah, are we going to waste time on all random claims from somewhere on the internet or are we going to actually argue what matters? It's just a poor discussion all around...
They were discussing the claims that were made by various people. If you don't claim he has infinite power, then there's no reason to even bring that part of the video up.
The bottom-line regarding these two characters is that that they are both gag/parody characters, with Arale being more gag and Saitama being more parody. Both are presented as characters that defy logic and/or consistency, but Arale defies it even more and, looking at feats shown, she has more impressive ones. A logic comparison really can't be made because the characters don't really obey logic... we can however force out a comparison and ignore all that and just say that Arale is stronger because the feats shown happen to be more impressive if we were to put numbers on it, but that's not really much of a logical comparison.
That's a lot of words used to say so little. By any meaningful type of analysis, Arale, Goku, and tons of other characters are all way stronger than Saitama, but you seem to be desperately trying to avoid admitting this.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Please explain how Saitama is a 'gag character', as none of his fights or feats rely on gag logic.
I would be just repeating myself. There's no point in going in circles. Read the previous posts made by me and others like Kaboom and KaiserNeko, and watch/read the series again if you want. If you can't see what I see, well, that's how it goes.

You missed the entire point of mentioning that. It's to point out the hypocrisy and worthlessness of the 'gag character' argument, as first you have fanboys saying he can beat anyone 'because he's a gag character', but then say that he gets hurt by weak things for the same reason! In other words, it's just an excuse used to justify anything, even if they have to contradict themselves. You can't use the same excuse to both claim he is invincible and beats anyone and to explain why he gets hurt by cats and fails to kill mosquitoes.
Humorous stuff like that happens all the time to characters in anime, regardless of being gag/parody or not, and even regardless of how super-human they are. It's humor or comic relief, typical of anime. It really has nothing to do with the discussion.

They were discussing the claims that were made by various people. If you don't claim he has infinite power, then there's no reason to even bring that part of the video up.
You can find claims for literally everything on the internet. Are we going to waste time with that or with what actually matters?

That's a lot of words used to say so little. By any meaningful type of analysis, Arale, Goku, and tons of other characters are all way stronger than Saitama, but you seem to be desperately trying to avoid admitting this.
Here's few words then: I'm so desperate to avoid it that I've just said that if we were to force out a comparison Arale would be more impressive... Right...
Last edited by rereboy on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4076
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Cell Vs Saitama & Genos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7q5XiW87o

So now we know, not to believe anything that Kaiser Neko says. :P
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Cell Vs Saitama & Genos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7q5XiW87o

So now we know, not to believe anything that Kaiser Neko says. :P
"I feel like I'm not the only one being blueballed right now"

:lol: :lol: :lol: That line was great

Overall, it was pretty in the spirit of One-Punch Man. Saitama couldn't care less and Genos gets wrecked.
Last edited by rereboy on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5301
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Cell vs Genos & Saitama

Didn't found this one funny, but that's the same disappointing reaction I had when I watched OPM so it fits.
Wonder if they will bring Meruem from HunterxHunter.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5663
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm

rereboy wrote:I would be just repeating myself. There's no point in going in circles. Read the previous posts made by me and others like Kaboom and KaiserNeko, and watch/read the series again if you want. If you can't see what I see, well, that's how it goes.
In other words, you've got nothing. Saitama doesn't win fights by toonforce or gags, he wins them by being faster and stronger than his opponents. But that's meaningless when he comes up against someone faster and stronger than him.
Humorous stuff like that happens all the time to characters in anime, regardless of being gag/parody or not, and even regardless of how super-human they are. It's humor or comic relief. It really has nothing to do with the discussion.
Wow.

Really, just wow.

Read that again, and then realize what you just wrote.

Not seeing it yet?

You just admitted that gag scenes and humor-based logic is irrelevant when comparing characters in a fight. Yet that's been the entire basis of your argument! You basically just conceded everything you've been saying.

Let me rephrase it, using your own words:

The fact that Saitama's invincibility is portrayed as humor or comic relief means it really has nothing to do with the discussion. In other words, that can't be used as an argument for him winning. Glad we agree.
You can find claims for literally everything on the internet. Are we going to waste time with that or with what actually matters?
If you're not making that claim, then why waste time mentioning the part of the video that addresses it? The video was made to respond to Saitama fanboys in general, not you specifically.
Here's few words then: I'm so desperate to avoid it that I've just said that if we were to force out a comparison Arale would be more impressive... Right...
Yet you use so many 'buts' and conclude with "that's not really much of a logical comparison". But it's nice to see you admit this at least. Raditz is also more impressive, going by any meaningful comparison.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14133
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 pm

I already asked nicely once for the dumb and largely off-topic "what can or can't Saitama do" argument to stop. Please. I don't want to have to start handing out warnings for bad attitudes.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358


We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.

A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
...
If you say so, my friend :D. I mean, what you said doesn't even begin to make sense to me... especially whatever you think I was admitting, but it's ok. I'll just go ahead and leave it at this.

Oh, sorry, Kaboom :)
Last edited by rereboy on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5663
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Kaboom wrote:I already asked nicely once for the dumb and largely off-topic "what can or can't Saitama do" argument to stop. Please. I don't want to have to start handing out warnings for bad attitudes.
Since he stopped, I will too.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Noah
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7454
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:13 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Cell Vs Saitama & Genos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7q5XiW87o

So now we know, not to believe anything that Kaiser Neko says. :P
Annoted! :D

That one was kinda fun, like it that they used Shi Wo Yobu Cell Games when things were starting to get serious between Cell and Caillou, hope they use this track again in the actual start of the Cell Games :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Scarz
I Live Here
Posts: 3382
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am
Location: New York

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scarz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:16 pm

rereboy wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Cell Vs Saitama & Genos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7q5XiW87o

So now we know, not to believe anything that Kaiser Neko says. :P
"I feel like I'm not the only one being blueballed right now"

:lol: :lol: :lol: That line was great

Overall, it was pretty in the spirit of One-Punch Man. Saitama couldn't care less and Genos gets wrecked.
This episode was was great! It felt so in tune with the show/manga. Great comedy writing to that shows love to the source material.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5996
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 pm

When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Post Reply