DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 am Does anyone else find amazing how long the series has been going? I mean, we're not even in the Buu arc, and it's clocking at more than a decade. This is longer than the original Z in Japan. I began watching it again in 2011 (I think), but no way I would envision it going as long as it has. DBZA is what got me back into the original franchise at that time, though, so I'm grateful to them. :D
It's absolutely impressive. They could have easily gone the way any of the copycat "abridged" shows went but they didn't. They managed to evolve the humor from fandom injokes to worthwhile stand alone content. That's worth praising.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:39 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 pm
Witty User Name wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 am Does anyone else find amazing how long the series has been going? I mean, we're not even in the Buu arc, and it's clocking at more than a decade. This is longer than the original Z in Japan. I began watching it again in 2011 (I think), but no way I would envision it going as long as it has. DBZA is what got me back into the original franchise at that time, though, so I'm grateful to them. :D
It's absolutely impressive. They could have easily gone the way any of the copycat "abridged" shows went but they didn't. They managed to evolve the humor from fandom injokes to worthwhile stand alone content. That's worth praising.
Yeah, they certainly have evolved quite a bit from 2008 until now.

StonewallJackson

Post by StonewallJackson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm So... Any news about future material? Bojack, Season 4?
Bojack isn't happening at all due to the team not being able to come up with a cleaver way to do it and season 4 is probably a long way out.
See, I don't buy that excuse. Yes, Bojack is a boring shitty movie with canon personalities of everyone being just "GRRRRR I'M THE BADGUY!!!1", but that hasn't stopped them in the past. If anything that gives them more of an excuse to be more creative. Their most popular characters in the past (Nappa, Guru, and Popo especially), were all ones who's personality is a complete 180 and share nothing in common with how they're depicted in the show. The funniest movies were Episode of Bardock, Super 13, and Cooler 2 which are all some of the most bland and forgettable movies Toei came out with. But they compensated for that by making the movies silly and self-referential with tons of funny and low-effort gags. Not everything has to be a 30+ minute "DUDE LE EPIC, THIS IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL" take like Broly, World's Strongest, and the Cell Games were. I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that people got in to DBZA to begin with because it was a funny joke dub.

I just think the whole "freedom of creativity" spiel is just a cover to avoid incurring any more wrath from Toei than they've already received.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 am

It appears pretty dead now with what's said. Probably shouldn't have teased more then backpedalled. Unfortunately I got negative feelings. But I hope everyone else can be happy. Especially the patreon folks who really should be given the downlow as if they're supporting mainly for DBZA and nothing else, they may want to back out. I probably would if I was that kind of patreon pledger.

I came for the abridged content and stayed for some of the other stuff. I kinda fear for this change as to be honest....outside the abridged content (DBZA/AOT/Hellsing/maybe FF7), the rest is pretty lackluster or bad. Fistmaster died a quick painful death from the looks of it. Was pretty luke warm recieved. Even then it appears to get like things that aren't DBZA or HUA only recieve half to as low as a quarter of the attention they get. I'm not sure they'll ever get the bigger numbers again with this change.

The gaming stuff is very hit and miss. Especially since unfortunately none of them are really all that great at game commentary. Some even worse than others. It's at its best when it's Lani, Grant, and Kirran...but kinda falls surprisingly enough without the two who have really good and bizarre chemistry. Especially Kirran who really tied the whole thing together. After Kirran stopped really showing things got more boring and not worth watching. It's honestly background noise at best now, a skip at worst.

Though the saving grace is a double edged sword what with what was the At the Table stuff. Was very well liked and supported for those who had the time to watch it all. Problem is it's a looooong time sink so I would think the casual audience would have a hard time following it all. I know I did. I got a whole last season to go.

Best of luck though I'm very uncertain of the future. Hopefully it all works out for them.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 am

Ok, what is all this babble about?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 am
dbzfan7 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 am

Ok, what is all this babble about?
Check Kaisers twitter. To keep it short

-Dragon Shortz are replacing DBZA
-The DBZA format of dubbing footage and editing said footage is over.
-Boo saga if there is one as now the claim is a maybe, would be in Dragon Shortz form.
-Reason appears to be creative burn out and wanting to do new things.

I believe that's the jist. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed.

Point is 2020 is basically the year of content creators you like either ending entirely or ending what you typically come for.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:59 am

DBZ Abridged is one of the longest running DB fan projects. Going by the other threads in this section, several fan projects are abandoned or put on an indefinite hiatus unfortunately I'm glad TFS gave the series a good ending point before they transition to the new style. I would also respect their decision if they decide not to move forward with the Buu saga. It takes a lot of time and effort to keep at a fan projects for years so it's understandable if they feel a little burned out and want to move on to other projects. If they do decide to continue in the ShortZ style, I'll check them out since I've enjoyed the two episodes so far :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah to be perfectly honest, if season 4 is in the Dragon Short style I'd rather they just end it instead.

Also I think the problem with Movie 9 isn't simply the villains being generic, but just how little they actually do. Like, I'm pretty sure Bojack himself literally has only three actual talking scenes (his intro, that bit where he's beating up on Gohan, and when he's panicking after Gohan transforms) . There just isn't that much material for them to work with that isn't fighting.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 am Check Kaisers twitter. To keep it short

-Dragon Shortz are replacing DBZA
-The DBZA format of dubbing footage and editing said footage is over.
-Boo saga if there is one as now the claim is a maybe, would be in Dragon Shortz form.
-Reason appears to be creative burn out and wanting to do new things.

I believe that's the gist. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed.

Point is 2020 is basically the year of content creators you like either ending entirely or ending what you typically come for.
Yeah, I saw all of that. I really don't like the fact that they teased for years doing Bojack & even put a promise on doing Season 4 after taking a year off to do other things. Promising those things then ultimately not doing them is just a good way to piss people off. I would've rather they just left it ambiguous as to if they were gonna do Buu & I really hope they get to it because broken promises are the worst.

I hope they'll do it in the Dragon ShortZ style, since it seems like that became the plan at some point & I'm fine with it. It'll still be the same writing & voice acting, just no longer constrained by the original Z animation, as editing that seemed to be what took up the majority of the production time for the episodes. Especially if they keep having the dude they've contracted to do the ShortZ so far. I know that that probably wouldn't be too much better in terms of editing time, but I still wanna see their take on Buu at some point. I was thinking it'd be interesting if they let 7 years pass in real life before doing it, which, at this point, they might, given the speed at which the ShortZ are coming out.
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am Yeah to be perfectly honest, if season 4 is in the Dragon Short style I'd rather they just end it instead.
The people who say this bother me. If you're not watching DBZA for the writing & voice acting, what are you watching it for? The animation is literally just a small part of it & is what gets them copyright claimed.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:26 pm

I support Team Four Star in everything they do because they've provided quality entertainment for years for free.

Far as I'm concerned, they have every right to change things up and try new concepts.

I would still like to see original DB done at some point (with the early DBZA seasons updated in FX and sounds since they're soooo silent at times) so I'll keep following them throughout their projects.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Brikikoz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:26 pm I support Team Four Star in everything they do because they've provided quality entertainment for years for free.

Far as I'm concerned, they have every right to change things up and try new concepts.

I would still like to see original DB done at some point (with the early DBZA seasons updated in FX and sounds since they're soooo silent at times) so I'll keep following them throughout their projects.
I mean, I'd like season 1 also rewritten & rerecorded to have good quality mics, better jokes, & better image quality so it can age better.
I remember Kaiser saying in a stream at some point several years ago that they tossed around the idea of doing the DB arcs as movies at some point, which I'd be all for if they can pace them well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 pm

I dropped Dragon Ball Z Abridged two or three episodes into the Artificial Humans stuff but I'd like to add that I prefer they switch over to using original animation instead of re purposing the original cartoon. Artistically, it's simply more freeing, especially if they decide to drop money on creating animation better than the original works. Financially, I think this would make it easier for the labor to receive payment for their labor. I prefer that labor be treated with that respect.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm

I mean, they said they'd use the ShortZ style of CGI animation for any new episodes, so...nope. Not gonna be better quality than the show, but it's ok for what it is.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:16 pm

If this was a few years ago i would have been really pissed, but now I'm happy that I can watch them play video games and other things like reviews or the Talk show they do now.

I just hope they can find a way to make a new project or something to replace DBZA, I like the Shortz but only having them on the animation side feels like too little, and I feel bad saying that because animation is hard and expensive, but maybe they can find a way to make them a bit longer or make a few of them and release them once a week each or having another project like the one they tried (fist master?) to alternate
If they decide to just do video games and live action stuff I will be ok with that, but at the same time I dont want to loose the writhing and voice acting they can do on animated things.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news for this thread, but nobody else had linked it yet, so - it's official. DBZA is over.

I'm no mod obviously, but I still implore anyone who is going to be upset about this to read all the way through KaiserNeko's reasoning as listed in the link. There are several very, very good reasons for why they've come to the decision they have, both personal and professional, and they're all laid out very well there. I can't lie and say I'm not disappointed that it's over as well, especially when there were earlier promises of more - but it is what it is. Life happens, plans change, and we keep moving on.

So...yeah. Not really much more that I feel equipped to add to it myself at the moment that wouldn't feel like I was trying to speak for Kaiser or anyone else at TFS, when there's no need for me to do so at all since it's all so well spelled out in the above.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 pm

RIP DBZ Abridged :cry: :cry: :cry:
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:41 pm

I wanna put it here just in case no one wants to click on the link.
KaiserNeko wrote:The End of DBZA

Hey folks. Scott (Kaiser) here.

There's been a lot of talk the last year about what the future of DragonBall Z Abridged is, and while we've tried to update people, we've failed at making things crystal clear to everyone.

We're planning on a full video talking about it, but we want to make sure that we can give you the full rundown, now that we've made our final decisions.

We currently have no plans on continuing with the Buu Saga, in the our original style, or in the style of the ShortZ, at this time.

Recently, we publicly announced that DBZA will not continue via the original footage ala our classic method of Abridging. However, we talked publicly about possibly moving forward with the Buu Saga via the same animation provided in the ShortZ.

Unfortunately, after serious deliberation, we currently find this process untenable.

For those of you with questions, I'm going to try to address them here:

"You guys promised Season 4 of DBZA. Why did this change?"

Several factors.

1. The ending of the Cell Saga gave us a sense of finality that is impossible for us to escape. We put our hearts and souls into making that finale stand out, and everything we've worked on with the original footage since has left us feeling hollow. This is a distinctly personal reason, but it's also incredibly important. Many shows lose steam as time goes on as the creators extend their work far beyond its natural lifespan; we're feeling that with this, and that's a scary, depressing thought.

We don't want to end up like The Simpsons, Dexter, Scrubs M.D., just to name a few.

And yes, we know, there's more story to work with. But in all honesty... there just isn't the emotional attachment and passion for the arc that drove the last three seasons. This is another, very personal reason, but it's unavoidable.

We do not enjoy tearing down and mocking the things we love. We want to celebrate them, expand on them, explore them, and sometimes make light of their shortcomings. That's what gave you the best of DBZA up until now, and ultimately, we find ourselves at odds with that approach and the majority of the Buu Saga.

2. We're burned out on the original method, in general. It's been an absolute blast to bring DBZA to life, but after 11 years of the same project... it's gotten oppressive. Which, again, is a scary thought.

I love DBZA, more than anyone on the planet. Not because it gave me this job, not because it helped pay the bills, not because it got me invited to conventions.

Because it made me a better person. A better writer, a better director, a better actor, a better editor, a better worker. I learned so much while working on DBZA, and I got to express my love for comedy, drama, and DragonBall to the world. Anyone who's seen me talk live about the finale of 60 has seen me coming to tears when talking about how proud I was to show it to everyone, and how overwhelmed I was to hear such a positive response. Just how happy I was to be able to share something I worked on with all my heart with all of you guys.

The idea that we could come to resent the series by forcing ourselves to work on it past the point where we feel artistically fulfilled? That's awful. And I honestly hope you all can understand why.

But it's not just me: Nick and Curt have also lost their steam with this approach, due to the limiting nature of the production, and our aforementioned perspective on the Buu Saga as a whole.

3. Our YouTube channel is our primary source of revenue. While the Patreon absolutely has helped us with several new projects (episode 5 of Unabridged is now in the can, and we continue filming early February), the lifeline that sustains the company is our main channel.

Copyright claims have put us at risk of losing that channel, and our livelihoods in jeopardy. We have our employees to look out for; our friends, our colleagues, and doing right by them—by striving to create original, monetizable, copyright friendly content, that also carries our heart and soul as creatives—is undeniably important.

We've thought about hosting DBZA on other sites, but nowhere has been safe, and worse, it would serve to draw attention away from our hub, which ultimately could lead to less views, less support, and either the scaling back or collapse of our company.

And frankly—and I say this with all due respect—the expansion of our company, to better fulfill the creative wants and needs of our employees, and the financial stability of all therein, is paramount here.

4. Our relationships with other companies have been strained by the nature of DBZA.

Fair-use exists in a nebulous area; even though we believe in it wholeheartedly, that doesn't mean there's no trouble between us and the copyright holders, and that tension leaks into the ecosystem in which we look to coexist with other companies. As writers, actors, etc.

We want to ease this tension moving forward.

5. We mentioned the nebulous nature of copyright. Over the course of the last 11 years, we've avoided major legal challenges, but we cannot continue to press our luck in this regard. We want to live in a less gray area, without the Sword of Damocles above our heads.

"When was this decision made?"

There is no concrete date, but it was in October, 2019 that we decided to no longer use the footage at all.

It started late August/early September. We'd been working on the script for Bojack since May, and had been struggling to get anything of substance down on paper. While it wasn't a complete wash, we weren't happy with the bulk of it. We'd also restarted the scripting process a couple times, trying to approach it from different angles, but we found ourselves at wit's end.

So we started to reflect and talk about the nature of our struggling, and Nick, Curt, and I came to the conclusions I gave you above.

At that time, we'd already written out several of the ShortZ and were looking to get moving on those before the year's end. They were originally conceived solely as connective tissue between Cell and Buu. We quickly realized that, if we could get things rolling, we could possibly continue working on DragonBall Abridged via the ShortZ, potentially solving a majority of our problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamFourStar/c ... more_from/

I actually made this post over on the Reddit after Bojack was cancelled and we totally borked the announcement of said cancellation. It reflects a lot of what's said here.

However... it was over the course of the last two weeks that we started to realize:

Continuing via the ShortZ was untenable as well.

"You mentioned continuing via the ShortZ. What changed?"

Imagine you're a child wanting a puppy. You beg your parents all year, and then they say, "Alright then, we'll get you that puppy for Christmas!" Then Christmas comes around, and they hand you a box. A wrapped box. And in that wrapped box isn't a puppy, but a WowWee Chippies Robot Toy Dog.

Picture of said WowWee Chippies Robot Toy Dog for visual aid.

While there are plenty of fans who've cheered this on, for all the freedom it allows us, and the ability for us to monetize it, the drop in visual quality and change in overall tone and style ultimately make the Buu Saga a lesser version of what we've provided for years.

Furthermore, the time to actually produce an entire season with this new animation would put the series off for an unbelievably long time, and unfortunately be incredibly costly.

The ShortZ will continue, but we have no intention at this time to utilize them as a way to cover the Buu Saga.

"What of us who are contributing specifically for DBZA?"

We have continuously, time and time again, tried to communicate that this Patreon was not made to fund DBZA. It was made to fund projects outside of DBZA, while maintaining our production of our keystone project through to its completion. It has helped fund FFVII Machinabridged, AWF, Unabridged, Fist Master, Super Knock-Off VS., X Minutes, Cell VS., [Unannounced Project(s)], and essentially all non-mainline DBZA content.

But there's an unavoidable truth here: We promised DBZA would continue beside those projects, and that they would not interfere with its production in any meaningful manner. We also announced Season 4 at the end of Episode 60 in September 2018, leading people to believe that the show—as they knew it—would continue as per the usual.

Anyone who was looking to secure the creation specifically of DBZA Season 4 via their patronage will likely feel frustrated or even betrayed by this reveal, and we're sorry about that.

We also failed in our communication in a timely manner. The moment we decided that DBZA was not happening in it's traditional capacity should've prompted a much quicker announcement to that effect. Please understand that the biggest driving factor behind not saying anything was that we desperately wanted to have a real plan for you folks moving forward, not just bad news and a vague idea. As you can see, even debates on providing the Buu Saga via the ShortZ was not something we'd come to a conclusion on until these last couple weeks.

But we accept the responsibility and blame for keeping you in the dark for too long, regarding DBZA.

So I ask of you this: If you are a Patron solely—or even primarily—in hopes of funding traditional DBZA, please consider ceasing your patronage. If you continue to donate for any particular reason, thank you so very much. But if you don't feel that you are getting your money's worth, we truthfully understand, we will not blame you for choosing not to continue to support us, and we appreciate all the support you've given us thus far.

We will not judge you for being discerning with your own incomes and time, nor will we feel scorned.

"Is there any chance you'll change your mind?"

I cannot say so. We've made this decision and it's what we truly feel is best for us moving forward.

If you guys have any more questions, I'll make myself available in the comments section.

Thank you for your time and your support. I hope you'll continue to see us into new horizons, but as we said before: We will respect your decisions, whatever they are.

Thank you for your support,
Scott "KaiserNeko" Frerichs
Last edited by Scsigs on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pm

"We currently have no plans on continuing with the Buu Saga, in either our original style, or in the style of the ShortZ, at this time."

Well, that settles it then. The last tenuous thread holding onto my interest in any of TFS' work has been severed.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:12 pm

It is sad, but understandable, when you feel burnout, worse thing you can do, is force yourself to make half baked product, and unlike many other Abridged series, we've got, pardon pun, perfect conclusion :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Even Toriyama was clearly burned out by the Buu saga, so this almost feels inevitable.