DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:29 pm

My big point of disagreement with this year's DBCember is that I think Kaioken and Fusion should have been elligible. Yes, they are unquestionably techniques, but technique and transformation are not mutually exclusive things.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:48 pm

jcogginsa wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:29 pm My big point of disagreement with this year's DBCember is that I think Kaioken and Fusion should have been elligible. Yes, they are unquestionably techniques, but technique and transformation are not mutually exclusive things.
With those 2, I think it's fair they weren't excluded.

Fusion creates entirely new characters, rather than being an alternate form of an existing character. And Fusions tend to use the same transformations as the Fusion fodder, so that's also fair enough since they aren't pulling out entirely different forms either.

As far as Kaioken goes, that one might be slightly more contentious, but not overly so since it seems to be more of an aura overlay rather than a full change in physical appearance.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:35 am

The reveal in the honourable mentions podcast that Kaiser writes the scripts and Lani and Kirran don’t always believe what they say is some “Santa isn’t real” shit.

Kirran doesn’t actually like Ultimate Battle!? Christmas is ruined!!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 pm

I'd sorta argue Freezas final form isn't really a transformation as such... I mean he transforms out of he previous form sure but his final form is just his real base form, gold is really his only transformation.

And buu is weird, fat buu was just a transformation of kid buu but it was a permanent one that never changes and can't transform like going SS.

SS4 does not deserve to be on the list or even high on it, ss3 is so much cooler and more canon. But whatevs.

Otherwise they are mostly on point.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:33 pm

Okay, here it is, what everyone expected and knew was coming:

Top 12 Transformations of Dragon Ball | #01 | DBCember 2020

It's the classic, the original, the Super Saiyan!

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Oh wow, such shock, many surprise
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:15 pm

They may occasionally have some unexpected choices and reasoning, but they've never been contrarian for its own sake.

As Lani said in the very first DBcember when the first Super Saiyan form's first appearance was number 1 of their top 24 moments, some things are obvious because they're right.

And one can't deny that the sheer impact of Super Saiyan far outstrips pretty much every other form and has helped to solidify the franchise's place in global pop culture.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:06 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 pmSS4 does not deserve to be on the list or even high on it, ss3 is so much cooler and more canon.
What does it being canon or not have to do with the form ? So if it is introduced into Super by Toriyama then it can be included ?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:28 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 pm I'd sorta argue Freezas final form isn't really a transformation as such... I mean he transforms out of he previous form sure but his final form is just his real base form, gold is really his only transformation.

And buu is weird, fat buu was just a transformation of kid buu but it was a permanent one that never changes and can't transform like going SS.

SS4 does not deserve to be on the list or even high on it, ss3 is so much cooler and more canon. But whatevs.

Otherwise they are mostly on point.
Who gives a shit about canon? “It’s not canon so it sucks” is one of the worst arguments I’ve ever seen.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:19 pm

Still sad to come to this thread and realize that Abridged Season 4 is just a distant dream...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 am

Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:19 pm Still sad to come to this thread and realize that Abridged Season 4 is just a distant dream...
I honestly think it's a pipe dream at this point, sadly. Though, to be fair, the AWESOME finale would be a massive burden for them if they abridged the Buu saga. Like, I can't imagine how the Saiyaman period would be parodied in that respective scenario.
The think I am disappointed the most for, however, is that they could not even abridge the fucking BOJACK film, something I personally don't understand.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:21 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 am
Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:19 pm Still sad to come to this thread and realize that Abridged Season 4 is just a distant dream...
I honestly think it's a pipe dream at this point, sadly. Though, to be fair, the AWESOME finale would be a massive burden for them if they abridged the Buu saga. Like, I can't imagine how the Saiyaman period would be parodied in that respective scenario.
The think I am disappointed the most for, however, is that they could not even abridge the fucking BOJACK film, something I personally don't understand.
They said it was because they couldn't abridge it. I'm pretty sure it was partly because Bojack & his crew don't have personalities on top of other reasons. I don't understand this at all. Just give them funny personalities. They've altered or given personalities of/to characters before, so why not?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:39 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:21 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 am
They said it was because they couldn't abridge it. I'm pretty sure it was partly because Bojack & his crew don't have personalities on top of other reasons. I don't understand this at all. Just give them funny personalities. They've altered or given personalities of/to characters before, so why not?
I agree. They can animate mouthflaps, so yeah, why not give them more dialogue?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:18 am

The Bojack movie was due to them not being able to come up with anything to salvage that trainwreck of a movie as far as abridging goes.

They were working on scripts and writing for months on end with nothing good to show for it, and certainly not for lack of trying.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:06 pm
TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 pmSS4 does not deserve to be on the list or even high on it, ss3 is so much cooler and more canon.
What does it being canon or not have to do with the form ? So if it is introduced into Super by Toriyama then it can be included ?
Because why not include any fan made bullshit if we aren't going by canon

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm

TobyS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pmBecause why not include any fan made bullshit if we aren't going by canon
You think an official concept is the same as a fan's just because it wasn't designed by Toriyama ?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm
TobyS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pmBecause why not include any fan made bullshit if we aren't going by canon
You think an official concept is the same as a fan's just because it wasn't designed by Toriyama ?
Yeah pretty much.
Especially if the concepts are as bad as say, SS4.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:40 pm

TobyS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:54 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Yeah pretty much.
Especially if the concepts are as bad as say, SS4.
What's so bad about SSJ4? It harkens back to the Saiyan's simian roots and looks badass.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:14 pm

TobyS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:06 pm
Because why not include any fan made bullshit if we aren't going by canon
That’s two completely different things. Are you trolling?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:29 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:54 pmYeah pretty much.
I've seen a lot of misinformed (to put it nicely) statements within the fan base these last 6 or so years, but this by far takes the cake.