DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:07 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Yeah, honestly, Australian Jheese is a pretty ingrained in Dragon Ball Z fandom in the U.S. To totally pass it up would bypass the entire idea of Parody.
Freeza - Lung Cancer Granny Edition is way the hell more ingrained into modern U.S. DBZ fandom than aussie Jheese ever was, and there was no issue in "bypassing" that whatsoever (one small joke at the beginning aside). Just throwing that out there...
At the same time, Freeza is a far more important, not to mention better developed, character than Jheese. No offense to fans of the Ginyu Force or to Toriyama in any way, but Jheese is basically a rowdy mercenary. There's not much to him. Freeza, on the other hand, is a much more palpable character to play with. For Jheese, Aussie accent or no he'd still come across the same, only with an accent. It also allows us to do some funny gags with him besides being eager to please Ginyu. Lung Cancer Granny Freeza makes the character far harder to DO anything with because it's just... not who or WHAT Freeza is. Not to me and not to most of the team.

And being "original" with Jheese was always an option. Hell, we changed Guldo's character up, changed up Recoome's pretty hardcore (Originally? Full-blown OG FUNi dumb-as-hell Recoome with the stupid voice and everything. Trust me, we dropped that pretty quick.) Even Ginyu's been given a lot of care. Aussie Jheese is just something we really, really want to do. Sorry if it seems unoriginal to anyone, but we're not trying to re-dub the original series. We're trying to have fun with these characters and the Aussie angle is really fun for us.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Blue Popo just made my day.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Chuquita wrote:That was so enjoyable. XD
Some wonderful special effects there at the end with Blue Popo getting "assimilated".

I'm very interested in that blurred logo and wondering if it means what series I think it means. :3
I really like One Piece, but I hope it's Abridged counterpart doesn't throw the current schedule for DBZ Abridged off/delay new episodes by too much. Though One Piece could definitely use more exposure outside Japan in my opinon.
One Piece? I thought that was Tenchi Muyo...or Evangeliion... :(

One Piece is so far a long that I can't imagine doing even an Abridged series of it. Unless it was extremely abridged or you picked a certain arc to start in. Or, heck, even just do some of the movies. Still, regardless of what it is...good luck! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:49 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Not sure what the fuss over Jheese is about considering the direction they've taken with the abridged series as a whole with the dub centric voices... I never expected him to sound any other way and honestly he's a pretty minor character so we won't be seeing him much anyway. I'd think that it would be funnier for both sides that he has the accent: fans of the Japanese can guffaw at the dub idiocy and fans of the dub can laugh for the sake of the accent itself, but hey what do I know 8)
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Oh and because I'm a technical asshole; non-stupid Reacoom is the "OG" incarnation goddammit, not FUNi's dumbshit Reacoom.
Ah-ah-ah, I said OG FUNi. Not OG Dub. ;3 The new Reacoom in the Kai dub is still a little dumb sounding, but toned back from how he was on FUNi's original in-house dub of him.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: And being "original" with Jheese was always an option. Hell, we changed Guldo's character up, changed up Recoome's pretty hardcore (Originally? Full-blown OG FUNi dumb-as-hell Recoome with the stupid voice and everything. Trust me, we dropped that pretty quick.) Even Ginyu's been given a lot of care. Aussie Jheese is just something we really, really want to do. Sorry if it seems unoriginal to anyone, but we're not trying to re-dub the original series. We're trying to have fun with these characters and the Aussie angle is really fun for us.
I understand. I do really like that you're talking the original route with some of the other members, though.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Vegeta wins this episode. He is now my favorite DBZ Abridged character. :lol:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:49 pm

I liked this episode, not my favorite one. But, definitely a good one.

I completely understand why you went with Aussie Jheese, it's kinda hard NOT to make fun of that. Hey, if there's Space Ducks, and a Space Mexico, I'll believe there's a Space Australia.

On, your Youmacon video, sadly your Popo edit looks like its professional while the professional looks amateur. I mean sadly towards the editors. That just proves you're getting exceptional at editing.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:48 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I completely understand why you went with Aussie Jheese, it's kinda hard NOT to make fun of that. Hey, if there's Space Ducks, and a Space Mexico, I'll believe there's a Space Australia.
Not to mention Space Hulu!

I'm glad you're sticking with Aussie Jheese, seems there could be a lot of potential for jokes in there. I think the reasoning for keeping something like Jheese's voice but not Freeza's makes perfect sense.

I loved Vegeta's incoherent babbling to Kuririn so, SO much. I think the delivery was perfect. XD

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:59 am

So I guess Namek is 20 sound-years away from Earth? Since it took 20 years for Vegeta's "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" to reach Earth?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 am

Puto wrote:So I guess Namek is 20 sound-years away from Earth? Since it took 20 years for Vegeta's "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" to reach Earth?
Space: no one cam hear you scream!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Puto wrote:So I guess Namek is 20 sound-years away from Earth? Since it took 20 years for Vegeta's "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" to reach Earth?
Vegeta's scream was so powerful, it would've even moved through a vacuum.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Actually, rage moves at the speed of light. So, Namek is located 20 light years away from Earth. =D

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I was drinking some really nice tasting apple juice while watching this episode. It was all over my keyboard and screen in two places: "Vegeta just saiyan" and oh god... haha and reeeeaaalllyyy badly when Freeza says: "I'll tell you what I'm not going to do, die!". Haha some good stuff. Not the best episode of this season but definately a few good laughs. Keep 'em coming please :P .
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:02 am

I thought I'd give people here a small example of what goes into each episode of DBZA. Here we have the Premiere timeline for Episode 18.

As you can see... that's a lot of tracks. Regardless, though, of the multitude of audio tracks, the visuals are definitely more time consuming.

I've also been thinking about, during a break in the show, doing small videos explaining how I do some of the visual edits. Would anyone be interested in that?

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:10 am

Oh, wow. That is a lot of tracks...
KaiserNeko wrote:I've also been thinking about, during a break in the show, doing small videos explaining how I do some of the visual edits. Would anyone be interested in that?
Yes, definitely!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 am

KaiserNeko wrote:I thought I'd give people here a small example of what goes into each episode of DBZA. Here we have the Premiere timeline for Episode 18.

As you can see... that's a lot of tracks. Regardless, though, of the multitude of audio tracks, the visuals are definitely more time consuming.

I've also been thinking about, during a break in the show, doing small videos explaining how I do some of the visual edits. Would anyone be interested in that?
I second the visual edit videos! It sounds interesting. :3

(And that image does have a lot of tracks! O_O )

Also, after I saw this award's logo--on a children's health book no less--I had to investigate. I present to you, the Nappa Award:

I laughed and was so surprised to see that name when I first saw it on that book because TFS Nappa mentions that he majored in "child psychology".
At least, I'm pretty that's what he said; it's been a while.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:48 am

ThunderPX wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Vegeta's scream was so powerful, it would've even moved through a vacuum.
And through time! :shock: The addition of the Future Trunks scene really made the entire joke for me. 8) Kuririn's tirade to Bulma was also great since it pretty much was the culmination of Kuririn's frustration with her since the beginning of the "Namek" arc. Not to mention something I am sure a fan or two probably thought. :wink: