DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:42 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:38 pm DAMMIT, I WAS GONNA POST THAT FIRST!
You can post no.6 tomorrow. :thumbup:

Ssj3 is definitely a favorite of mine. What I liked about it is how useless it was, which was the last thing you'd expect following the ending of Freeza and Cell. Goku had all the power but couldn't use it, which opened the door for them to start relying on their minds rather than their fists by Vegeta coming up with the spirit bomb idea.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm

DBCember 2020

#7 - Super Saiyan 3

Edit: didnt see the above :/
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm DBCember 2020

#7 - Super Saiyan 3
I already posted it, remove that immediately. :evil: (just joking :lol: )

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm

I do like how even to this day SS3 remains a relatively useless form for actually trying to win a fight.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm I do like how even to this day SS3 remains a relatively useless form for actually trying to win a fight.
That's why Wrath of the Dragon stands out so much, it's the only time Ssj3 won a fight.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:33 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm I do like how even to this day SS3 remains a relatively useless form for actually trying to win a fight.
That's why Wrath of the Dragon stands out so much, it's the only time Ssj3 won a fight.
SSJ3 Goku beat Future Trunks in Super.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Here's no.6: Freeza's 4th form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJVUxLZ-Bs

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Aw dangit, missed it again!

Okay, top 5!

Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 4, and Ultra Instinct are definitely making up 4 of the spots. So where does that leave the last one?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:49 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm Aw dangit, missed it again!

Okay, top 5!

Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 4, and Ultra Instinct are definitely making up 4 of the spots. So where does that leave the last one?
Ultimate Gohan, perhaps? Maybe Kaioken, if they're counting Ultra Instinct as a transformation. Rosé stands apart from Blue also as much more fitting for Black/Zamasu, so it may have a shot.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:57 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm Aw dangit, missed it again!

Okay, top 5!

5- Cell's perfect form
4- Ssj4
3- Ssj2
2- Ssj1
1- Garlic Jr's transformation.

Honorable mentions: Cooler's 5th form and Ultra Instinct.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZ-pIoUw4w DidYouKnowGaming Dragon Ball Games America Never Got Ft. TeamFourStar
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:59 pm

no 5 is Ssj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFztfKP-Ba4

That's the exact reaction me and my friends had to seeing Ssj4, Broly, Omega Shenron, & Cooler in Budokai 3 back in the day. We were somewhat familiar with Z due to TV airings and the first Budokai and 2, but we had no idea those other concepts existed. As kids, those characters were bigger than life, as we knew nothing about them and they looked so epic. Good memories. :D

As much as I love the internet, kids today can never experience that, being surprised and trying to find out more. It's all a click away. :cry:

What I really like about Ssj4 is that despite being mandated by the corporate overlords, the writers went above and beyond to make it work and fit within the overall story. It takes special talent to hide corporate interference. Just look at modern DB, everything post-BOG might as well have a sign attached to it saying "This wasn't us, it was the suits on the top". You can really tell from the interview how much Nakatsuro cared about the story and the franchise's image...unlike certain people working on it now.

This is the full interview, it's a great read.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... nakatsuru/

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Loved how they just let Kirran go nuts with his fanboying. Also, his wish was granted!

That just leaves SS, SS2, Ultra Instinct, and 1 more form.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:43 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pmThat just leaves SS, SS2, Ultra Instinct, and 1 more form.
Giant Lord Slug or Super #13.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:33 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am
SSJ3 Goku beat Future Trunks in Super.
He went god and one shot him.
what toei do instead?
Is trunks not said to be equal power?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:09 pm

I like Super Saiyan 4's design, but I disagree with the idea that it's memorable because it was seldom used. It was probably the most used form in GT. The only competition it gets is from the original Super Saiyan form, but after Goku achieves SS4, he treats it as his go-to form. He needs to teleport? Super Saiyan 4. He needs to pick up a building? Super Saiyan 4. Needs to fight a comedy-relief shadow dragon? Super Saiyan 4. The form was quickly devalued almost as much as Blue in the Super anime, because it was used to the detriment of all the others.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:28 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:09 pmI like Super Saiyan 4's design, but I disagree with the idea that it's memorable because it was seldom used. It was probably the most used form in GT. The only competition it gets is from the original Super Saiyan form, but after Goku achieves SS4, he treats it as his go-to form. He needs to teleport? Super Saiyan 4. He needs to pick up a building? Super Saiyan 4. Needs to fight a comedy-relief shadow dragon? Super Saiyan 4. The form was quickly devalued almost as much as Blue in the Super anime, because it was used to the detriment of all the others.
It was nowhere near as overused as Blue. At least it wasn't used to fight the likes of Krillin or play baseball.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:33 pm

It is a stretch to say that Super Saiyan 4 is seldom used in the show. Goku spends a lot of time in that form, and he even uses it against all but two of the Evil Dragons. Still, I can’t complain about its placement on this list. I’ve always liked it. Some people might complain that it goes against Toriyama’s philosophy of how less is more, but I’d argue that Super Saiyan 3 already more or less broke that precedent.

If nothing else, Super Saiyan 4 arguably has the most distinct design of any Super Saiyan transformation. And yeah, the complaints about the pants are silly. Magic clothes are hardly unusual for this franchise. Remember when Piccolo conjured up a new gi for Gohan?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I always felt Super Saiyan 4 would have been more interesting if it shared the same drawbacks as Oozaru: needing a full moon in order to transform, or essentially cutting one's power in half by using an artificial power ball; maybe the user would even progressively lose more and more of his personality the more time he spent in the form. It would have made for some interesting scenarios where Goku would have to choose between using SS3 for immediate power at the risk of energy drain, or cutting his power in half to go SS4 for less power than SS3 but he wouldn't have to deal with Ki drainage. Alternatively, he could stall for time and wait until night so he could turn SS4 at full power, or use one of Bulma's machines, or use a planet in the sky as a catalyst, etc. And even after accessing the full power of SS4, he'd have to be careful not to abuse it or else he'd turn into a raging monster. I'd prefer this to the all-powerful, no-drawback form we essentially got that renders all the other forms obsolete. Drawbacks are what make the more powerful forms like SS3, and the god forms in the manga, interesting in execution, so SS4 despite its cool design is comparatively boring; it's just a mere power boost.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:59 pm

I was actually expecting SS4 to be higher. Like, top 3 even. Are they really gonna put SS2, the least visually distinct one above it?

Ah well, subjectivity and all that. Nice that Kirran got to have his ten minutes of gushing, though it would have been good to get Kaiser and Lani’s perspective on it. I think Cell is going to be the other one in the top five besides 1, 2, 4 and UI.