DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Personally, I understand, as someone who's created similar stuff outside of my YouTube stuff that's creative, I can sympathize. If you've worked on something long enough & worked towards an inevitable goal, then don't feel you can contribute anything creatively, it's never good to force yourself to do it more.
To add to what Kaiser said in t he statement, Family Guy is also creatively bankrupt & is now cynical & resorts to shock to try to get a rise out of people. To talk about non-TV show examples, Fall Out Boy, as a band, are creatively bankrupt & completely devoid of any real passion for what they're doing on top of becoming sellouts when they revived the band in 2013. Maroon 5 also have had a noticeable lack of creativity & a lot of cynicism for the last decade & change.
You don't want a passion project to continue forever unless you actually feel passion for it. That never breeds good results.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Kaboom wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pm "We currently have no plans on continuing with the Buu Saga, in either our original style, or in the style of the ShortZ, at this time."

Well, that settles it then. The last tenuous thread holding onto my interest in any of TFS' work has been severed.
Honestly, aside from FF7 Machinabridged, I feel the same way. It's....kinda really unfortunate.

That said, I respect their decision to end their show on a high note instead of just limping the barn with zero interest and passion. I wish them good luck on their future projects and maybe I might check 'em out once in a while.

Other than that....I dunno, man. I'm just kinda sad right now :cry: I need to process.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 pm

It can be really hard to keep passionate about something that you're also having to put work into, compared to staying passionate about things you're just absorbing, be it watching, reading, or playing that product. When you actually have to put your nose to the grind-stone, it's not always that easy to avoid getting burnt out. It's a really, really hard balancing act between 'Alright, let's focus on this and get it done' and 'Aw man, I don't really feel like doing this right now', at least for me. Sometimes, you have to force yourself to get to work, but if you do it too hard, and the passions gone? Then your product and yourself will both suffer for it.

It's a big part of why so many of my own past projects in the past have failed, and why I whole-heartedly believe what Kaiser is saying. We all want more, but if it's going to end up burning them out, then that's not good for them or us.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:03 pm

You could definitely tell that #60 was a passion project they poured everything into, and after the cancelation of Bojack, I'm not surprised. I think the Dragon ShortZ are still mildly entertaining even if they feel uncanny at first, and I always enjoy DBcember, so I'll keep checking the channel.
Brikikoz wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm Even Toriyama was clearly burned out by the Buu saga, so this almost feels inevitable.
On the contrary, I think he had the most fun with it.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:32 am

Doctor. wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:03 pm You could definitely tell that #60 was a passion project they poured everything into, and after the cancelation of Bojack, I'm not surprised. I think the Dragon ShortZ are still mildly entertaining even if they feel uncanny at first, and I always enjoy DBcember, so I'll keep checking the channel.
Brikikoz wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm Even Toriyama was clearly burned out by the Buu saga, so this almost feels inevitable.
On the contrary, I think he had the most fun with it.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Either way, even the traces/drawing of the chapters started becoming ''lazy'' at the very end of the Buu arc.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 am

Saw this coming ever since the cancellation of the Bojack special. Damn shame.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 am

It's really sad the Abridged series is over but at least you finished it on a high note.

Thanks for everything, Team Four Star. You really gave me hours and hours of hilarious material :lol:

Wish you guys the best for your future projects in both internet and real life :)

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:47 am

Wrote to KaiserNeko expressing my gratitude, but I'll reiterate it here: I am so grateful for TeamFourStar and Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I got to know so many people because of our mutual love for the show, and it might not have ever happened if it weren't for DBZA and its 10+years of comedy brilliance. Everybody on TeamFourStar is a legend and I can't thank them enough. Looking forward to DragonShortZ and whatever else they have coming up next.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 am

I tried to keep positive about the Dragon ShortZ style decision, but I must admit, I was kinda dreading seeing how that would turn out. As Kaiser noted, it could've easily turned into a Scrubs season 9 (8? 10?) situation, especially with how perfect episode 60 was, and how burnt out they've consistently stated themselves to be.
I was somewhat hopeful purely for the reason that it would be such a drastic change in style, but the first Dragon Short wasn't the most confidence-inspiring with how its animation turned out, despite how much I did enjoy that first short.

So... I understand this, and I'm okay with it. I do hope the Dragon ShortZ continue on, and further that in the coming years, they do some vignettes from the Boo storyline; not saying I want them to do the Boo arc, just that I'd love to see them try going over a scene or two here or there in the ShortZ style. Could be fun.

But y'know what, episode 60 and the epilogue being the end of DBZA proper?... Yeah, I'm fine with that. It's a shame we never got a Boo arc, particularly after what Lani said about the "Cell was a love letter to DBZ, Boo will be us just having fun with DBZ" kind of approach, but TFS skipped the first third of the Dragon Ball story, I take no issue with them skipping over the end too. For what it was, the 60 episodes TFS produced are a slice of utter brilliance, and a shining example of how influential, and straight-up really fucking good, a fan project can be. It's a shame to see it go, but all good things must come to an end, and 60 episodes and 11 years ain't anything to scoff at!! :)

I am glad we won't have to say goodbye to TFS's take on the characters, though. It's not replacement for the Boo arc, but having a Dragon ShortZ episode pop up in my YouTube feed now and again is something I will be looking forward to. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 am

Not gonna lie, as a fan of the Buu arc that already feels a bit isolated in loving it and Majin Buu as a character, and was really looking forward to seeing the arc get its time in the spotlight like the rest of Z, this is very disappointing; and I feel that it only further feeds into the conventional opinion that the Buu arc sucks, isn't worth your time, and that the series should have ended with the Cell arc; opinions that I always have and always will disagree with.

With Abridged's reputation for being better than the actual series, this could have been an opportunity for Team Four Star to rehabilitate the Buu arc's image and get more people to appreciate it, but no, it sounds like they're like most fans and don't care for it either. I haven't gotten around to watching Season 3 yet and was planning to do so once Season 4 was about to start (there's just too many things taking up my free time right now), but now I'm not going to. I don't support this decision, so I'm not going to support their take on the Cell arc with my views. For me, Dragon Ball Z Abridged ends with the Freeza arc, ironically.

And it's not like I'm asking them to continue on and on forever like the Simpsons or Family Guy. I don't want that. I'm perfectly fine with them not doing GT or Super. But would it really have been so difficult to just do the Buu arc (like they promised they would) and properly finish Z? If they don't want to do it, why not find some new, capable writers that would like to do it while they act as consultants and provide voice acting duties? Hand it off to capable people that will do most of the heavy lifting for them, if only for this one, final season.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 am Not gonna lie, as a fan of the Buu arc that already feels a bit isolated in loving it and Majin Buu as a character, and was really looking forward to seeing the arc get its time in the spotlight like the rest of Z, this is very disappointing; and I feel that it only further feeds into the conventional opinion that the Buu arc sucks, isn't worth your time, and that the series should have ended with the Cell arc; opinions that I always have and always will disagree with.

With Abridged's reputation for being better than the actual series, this could have been an opportunity for Team Four Star to rehabilitate the Buu arc's image and get more people to appreciate it, but no, it sounds like they're like most fans and don't care for it either. I haven't gotten around to watching Season 3 yet and was planning to do so once Season 4 was about to start (there's just too many things taking up my free time right now), but now I'm not going to. I don't support this decision, so I'm not going to support their take on the Cell arc with my views. For me, Dragon Ball Z Abridged ends with the Freeza arc, ironically.
opinions and all that, but my god does this read as being entitled. It takes time and effort to do what TFS did with DBZA, it's not a matter of just simply not wanting to do it. They started the Android saga in 2012 and didn't finish the cell arc until way into 2018. That's a lot of fucking time to do a lot of fucking work. And that's ignoring the fact that DBZA went on a year long hiatus because they were going through shit and still managed to finish it up.

The only person you're screwing over is yourself since the Cell saga is the moment where DBZA really came into its own.

Anyways...yeah. Figured this was going to happen. DBZA ended on a high note and I'm more than willing to let it stay that way.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 amopinions and all that, but my god does this read as being entitled. It takes time and effort to do what TFS did with DBZA, it's not a matter of just simply not wanting to do it. They started the Android saga in 2012 and didn't finish the cell arc until way into 2018. That's a lot of fucking time to do a lot of fucking work. And that's ignoring the fact that DBZA went on a year long hiatus because they were going through shit and still managed to finish it up.
Your tone policing aside, they're "entitled" to not continue it if they don't want to, that's their choice. Likewise, I'm "entitled" to disagree with that choice. I know making this show is a lot of work, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with this decision (and again, they outright said they were going to do it).
The only person you're screwing over is yourself since the Cell saga is the moment where DBZA really came into its own.
Tell that to someone who cares. I'm way past the point of caring.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 am With Abridged's reputation for being better than the actual series, this could have been an opportunity for Team Four Star to rehabilitate the Buu arc's image and get more people to appreciate it, but no, it sounds like they're like most fans and don't care for it either. I haven't gotten around to watching Season 3 yet and was planning to do so once Season 4 was about to start (there's just too many things taking up my free time right now), but now I'm not going to. I don't support this decision, so I'm not going to support their take on the Cell arc with my views. For me, Dragon Ball Z Abridged ends with the Freeza arc, ironically.
Nobody should care about the Buu Arc. It was Toriyama taking the piss out of his own series.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:52 pm

"I'm disappointed they put relieving themselves of this free series above validating my opinion of the Buu saga" is an...interesting take.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 pm

I know I’m a little late to the news, but to give my two cents on the matter, I’m not surprised by it. The guys have made it clear that they’re burnt out on this stuff, and between the constant copyright hassles and the fact that it took them almost six years to finish the Cell arc, I don’t blame them for not wanting to spend many more years doing the Boo arc, especially when there’s no telling what the state of websites like YouTube will be in a few years.

As a matter of fact, back in the day, I actually believed that the series would be better off ending with Cell, since the Boo arc is already wacky enough that doing a lengthy parody of it might not be the easiest task.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 pm As a matter of fact, back in the day, I actually believed that the series would be better off ending with Cell, since the Boo arc is already wacky enough that doing a lengthy parody of it might not be the easiest task.
Exactly. The Buu Arc is already one long joke. It'd be like doing a parody of the first Dragon Ball Hunt. Even if you could what would be the point?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:52 pm "I'm disappointed they put relieving themselves of this free series above validating my opinion of the Buu saga" is an...interesting take.
When the majority of the fandom is constantly telling you that the part of the series you enjoy sucks and that the series would have been better without it, it starts to get exhausting and isolating. That's been my experience as a fan of the Buu arc ever since I started interacting with the fandom and that's where this disappointment is coming from. Honestly, it does feel invalidating.
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 pm the Boo arc is already wacky enough that doing a lengthy parody of it might not be the easiest task.
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pmExactly. The Buu Arc is already one long joke. It'd be like doing a parody of the first Dragon Ball Hunt. Even if you could what would be the point?
I admit these are good points. Looking at it that way, it would be very difficult to outdo Toriyama himself on that front.

However, most people I encounter don't have this kind of nuanced take on the Buu arc. The common opinion is that is just sucks.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:59 pm

then just watch the buu saga again.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 pm

The Buu Saga's already somewhat of a self-parody, I can't think of anything they'd do towards making fun of the dumb bullshit in it bedsides pointing out the glaring plot holes & logic holes.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.

If they ever change their minds, maybe they can do a Four Part Kai series or something.