DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonTao

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by SonTao » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 pm

The record shows, you took the blows. And did it your way.

Thank you to everyone at TFS who brought me and thousands of others over a decade of happiness. While this isn't related to whatever debacle is up regarding the transformation list, I thought I should write this before I forgot.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm

From Team Four Star (Official) on facebook:
While we understand that a lot of people think our issues would be solved by returning to DBZA, our reasons for ending the series have only become more valid since we announced we were finished with it.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent incident of somebody posing as Shueisha and sending fake takedown notices was what Kaiser was referring to when he said, "Our reasons for ending the series have only become more valid etc."

At any rate, he did delve into a little more detail regarding a few paragraphs later:
The ShortZ (and an upcoming side project) will continue to provide similar content in the vein of DragonBall related parodies. But, to put it simply, we have no intentions of making another “Abridged” series again. There are too many issues that range from legal to practical that make them utterly untenable for us
Going to link to the full Facebook post below, since it's definitely worth a read. I'll be interested to see what that "upcoming side project" is...
https://www.facebook.com/teamfourstar/p ... 9000250609

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am I wouldn't be surprised if the recent incident of somebody posing as Shueisha and sending fake takedown notices was what Kaiser was referring to when he said, "Our reasons for ending the series have only become more valid etc."

At any rate, he did delve into a little more detail regarding a few paragraphs later:
I mean, I don't think so, but maybe. Throughout the entirety of DBZA's existence, Toei's repeatedly taken down either the videos, or their main channel as a whole with copyright claims. I can only imagine that they get tons of copyright claims all the time on the videos that they don't mention publicly, especially as YouTube keeps changing how their algorithm works to make it progressively more bullshit as time goes on. Plus, it's ruined their working at FUNimation for a while because of how Chris Sabat tried sneaking them into the dub of Kai: TFC. Toei HATES them because of it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am I wouldn't be surprised if the recent incident of somebody posing as Shueisha and sending fake takedown notices was what Kaiser was referring to when he said, "Our reasons for ending the series have only become more valid etc."

The ShortZ (and an upcoming side project) will continue to provide similar content in the vein of DragonBall related parodies. But, to put it simply, we have no intentions of making another “Abridged” series again. There are too many issues that range from legal to practical that make them utterly untenable for us
Going to link to the full Facebook post below, since it's definitely worth a read. I'll be interested to see what that "upcoming side project" is...
I put everything on the spoiler on my post but I forgot the link.

I just quoted that part because people here were quick to ignore that abriging is not an option anymore, and they were in denial thinking that they will continue DBZA because of the low views.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:55 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 pm

I put everything on the spoiler on my post but I forgot the link.

I just quoted that part because people here were quick to ignore that abriging is not an option anymore, and they were in denial thinking that they will continue DBZA because of the low views.
It's an option(after all LittleKuriboh is still doing Yugioh Abridged), it's just not one they feel is personally worth the risk and that's dissapointing but understandable.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:36 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 pm I put everything on the spoiler on my post but I forgot the link.

Ah, apologies, I hadn't noticed the spoiler tag.
Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:20 pm
I mean, I don't think so, but maybe. Throughout the entirety of DBZA's existence, Toei's repeatedly taken down either the videos, or their main channel as a whole with copyright claims. I can only imagine that they get tons of copyright claims all the time on the videos that they don't mention publicly, especially as YouTube keeps changing how their algorithm works to make it progressively more bullshit as time goes on. Plus, it's ruined their working at FUNimation for a while because of how Chris Sabat tried sneaking them into the dub of Kai: TFC. Toei HATES them because of it.
From what I recall from some of their videos about the subject, I think Kaiser did allude to the copyright claims playing a factor in their decision (creative burnout, of course, was another), although you are right that they've had to deal with them for some time. I think I do remember Kaiser expressing relief over how the DragonShortZ allow them to continue making DBZA-related content without having to worry so much about copyright complications.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am

Meh, so this means for sure that DBZA finale was in fact in the Cell arc...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:17 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JscY8mjpxk

Cell is back!
There was a video update, new link
https://youtu.be/o_1VrZNFpuo

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Where is Ginyu? In the abridged continuity he was squished by Vegeta as a frog and died.

Anyways loved it. Martin utterly stole the show and keeps reminding me why his Freeza is and will always be my favourite villain in abridgedom.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:51 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 pm Where is Ginyu? In the abridged continuity he was squished by Vegeta as a frog and died.
Well we don't know how Emma handles non sentient animals (or sentient beings's souls inside of non sentient animals) but I'd think Ginyu is in hell, as a frog.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:37 pm

Cell in a Hell.

I am disappointed that there's no archive of the spring showcase though

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 am

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:51 pmWell we don't know how Emma handles non sentient animals (or sentient beings's souls inside of non sentient animals) but I'd think Ginyu is in hell, as a frog.
King Yemma doesn't handle beings who died off of Earth. That's someone else's job. Note, when Goku requests to have Frieza revived for the Tournament of Power, he asks that if Frieza acts up again, Goku would kill him on some other planet so he doesn't have to deal with him.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:33 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 am
FoolsGil wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:51 pmWell we don't know how Emma handles non sentient animals (or sentient beings's souls inside of non sentient animals) but I'd think Ginyu is in hell, as a frog.
King Yemma doesn't handle beings who died off of Earth. That's someone else's job. Note, when Goku requests to have Frieza revived for the Tournament of Power, he asks that if Frieza acts up again, Goku would kill him on some other planet so he doesn't have to deal with him.
...I wonder who Krillin was kicking it with in Space Heaven until he was resurrected. :think:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:06 am

Cell is going about it all wrong. If he just amputates his leg he can get the thing off him and regenerate a new one.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 am

Damn. Really hoped they got Ben back as Mez, but I understand if a bridge got burned there & it can't be fixed.

Also, I VASTLY prefer this CGI to whatever they were using before.

Man, that was GREAT! Honestly, if these guys were able to make a series like Rick & Morty, they'd have 1 of the best animated shows ever. Bet.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 am Damn. Really hoped they got Ben back as Mez, but I understand if a bridge got burned there & it can't be fixed.

Man, that was GREAT! Honestly, if these guys were able to make a series like Rick & Morty, they'd have 1 of the best animated shows ever. Bet.
You can thank DevilArtemis for this episode from his "Perfect Cell vs." work.

I really hope him and TFS can keep collaborating in the future.

Though this episode was really funny to watch as a fan of the DevilArtemis Universe seeing as how it's exactly that style, except with TFS voice-work instead :P

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:44 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 am
Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 am Damn. Really hoped they got Ben back as Mez, but I understand if a bridge got burned there & it can't be fixed.

You can thank DevilArtemis for this episode from his "Perfect Cell vs." work.

I really hope him and TFS can keep collaborating in the future.

Though this episode was really funny to watch as a fan of the DevilArtemis Universe seeing as how it's exactly that style, except with TFS voice-work instead :P
I know Scott said early on doing Season 4 with 3D assets wasn't going to happen, but these 3D animators are getting pretty good, and more and more are coming out and doing stuff. Maybe if the stars align there will be one last hurrah after all. And if it doesn't happen, at least we have DragonshortZ. I'm good either way.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:20 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:44 am I know Scott said early on doing Season 4 with 3D assets wasn't going to happen, but these 3D animators are getting pretty good, and more and more are coming out and doing stuff. Maybe if the stars align there will be one last hurrah after all. And if it doesn't happen, at least we have DragonshortZ. I'm good either way.
It's not that the 3D animators weren't good enough. I think it was mostly a money thing, since they have to commission these people for their time & compensate them adequately. They do that for the secondary voice actors as well. This is probably the main reason Scott was the editor of DBZA for so long. First, it was a lack of anyone else to do the job, then it was a money issue. Doing a passion project can be fun, but, if you can't make money off of it, no matter how much praise it gets, it's nothing more than that. Doing a fandub parody of DBZ in a 3D animation style with contracted freelancers who have to be paid comissions, especially if they get multiple ones at once & they all have to adapt their 3D animation to the one the team prefers for consistency reasons so all the episodes look the same, I doubt it's something they can afford no matter how many Patreon donations they have coming in.
However, the trade-off is that they'd have more creative freedom with everything (it's obvious with how they've discussed discarded ideas in the past that they're more limited by the animation than they'd like to be) & it'd be less of an unofficial fandub & more of a straight-up parody, which would help for Fair Use arguments. As well as other things, possibly monetization, but I don't know. I also assume it's also a manner of Scott being in control of the editing for so long that it's weird if someone else does it. If they had a 3D animator on the team already that Scott could work with in person to adapt what was in the 2D animation into 3D & whatever else, I bet it'd be a different story.