DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:57 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:52 pm Well to each their own, but imho the budding bad aspects of the franchise culminate at the Saiyan arc, and the series adds more flaws at this point. It may have been a game changer way back when, (along with aging up Goku in the 23rd Budokai) but knowing what we know now, and the franchise's lows along with its highs, I point at the Saiyan Arc for those reasons, and I could personally never see this arc anywhere in the top 5
The influence on later worse arcs shouldn’t impact the critique on the Saiyan arc. That’s just weird.
#1) I think it's more weird you think you can dictate to anyone how their own list should go for whatever reason. You ain't the top 12 list god.

#2) TFS' list is full of statements about a saga's impact or least amount of impact not only for it's future or the franchise at a whole. The Hunt For The Dragonballs Saga is low on the totem precisely because of it's lack of impact from the rest of the series, no matter how well written, funny, and overall great it is.
Yuji wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:48 pm Especially when the formula began in the Daimao arc.
The formula actually began when Goku effortlessly defeat Tao at Korin's tower. But I said culminate. from Tao's defeat onward, the story really hampered on Goku being miles above anyone else, but the Saiyan arc he becomes Mr. Deus Ex Machina. That's the sort of thing that brings the arc down for me.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Not gonna lie...I thought this HFIL kinda sucked. I think only one joke was funny, and the rest just...eeeh. Didn't help the overall story wasn't very interesting either. The Freeza bit fell really flat and didn't end in a satisfying bit. Felt really weak overall by being boring, not very funny, and not leaving much of an impact as I slowly forget the contents. Felt phoned in honestly.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:03 pm

You gotta link the episode if you're gonna bring it up!

O Captain! My Captain! | HFIL Episode 4

=

Makes sense that the Ginyu Force were the ones to make things all ship-shape. Best interpretation I've seen is that Frog-Ginyu thinks Cell is a bug and wants to eat him.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:11 pm

Eh, that was pretty mediocre ngl. Not bad, but not that funny either.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:57 am

LOL'D quite a bit. Always good to see more of this spinoff of a spinoff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:29 pm

It's time to experience more of HFIL's insanity, because the latest episode is here!

Home For Infinite Pranksters | HFIL Episode 5

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm

I am going to wager than a second part to this story will be posted tomorrow, since that day would be April Fool's day...

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:42 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm I am going to wager than a second part to this story will be posted tomorrow, since that day would be April Fool's day...
March has a 31st day, so April Fool's is in 2 days I'm afraid :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:04 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:42 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm I am going to wager than a second part to this story will be posted tomorrow, since that day would be April Fool's day...
March has a 31st day, so April Fool's is in 2 days I'm afraid :lol:
Damn and blast. I already feel foolish!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:29 pm It's time to experience more of HFIL's insanity, because the latest episode is here!

Home For Infinite Pranksters | HFIL Episode 5
I was a bit worried that TFS might have lost their touch as the first couple of CG shorts weren't that great,

But the HFIL series has been fucking astounding. "HAH! HOW'S YOUR BUSSY!!!!"

Also as an aside, I rewatched the final three episodes of DBZA, and it is amazing what TFS managed to achieve there. Its why I don't blame them for cancelling the Buu saga, because I cannot imagine the work that went into making the Cell saga work the way it does.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:57 pm

This latest episode also continues to show that Raditz is the only real inhabitant of HFIL that could actually be redeemed and reincarnate properly.

He won't be going to Heaven, but he might at least get to see his brother again before the being known as Raditz ceases to exist.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:52 pm

Funny, that I was digging through some old posts and I found this:
Kakarot9001 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:33 pm I was wondering myself when Revival Of Freeza would get its Abridged version... Sometime around 2022 maybe?
Pure gold :lol: :clap:
miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:47 pm The only thing I don't like about TFS is sometimes I get the feeling they think their better than the majority of the fan base.
Like hell they are lol they cannot even commit themselves with a content they promissed us before.

But, jokes asides it kinda makes me sad seeing that MistareFusion is about to end his original DB manga dissection series, concluding the Boo arc and there's many points TFS could have addressed (with humour) if they continued.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 pm

Dragonball Z Abridged Creator Commentary | Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gUBzV ... rStarBento

I've been looking forward to something like this. Guess I'll do it 1:1 with the episodes too.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:21 pm

Holy crap, I completely forgot to post the 6th episode of HFIL when it came out! My bad, thread!

FROGNAPPED | HFIL Episode 6

A month late, but better late than never! We get to see the conclusion to the little prank war between Cell and the Ginyu Force!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:30 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 pm Dragonball Z Abridged Creator Commentary | Episode 1

I've been looking forward to something like this. Guess I'll do it 1:1 with the episodes too.
Good grief, has it really already been fifteen years did the first episode came out? I haven't watched it since then so seeing it via this commentary is so surreal. I can definitely see why they cringe where they do, though. I think some of the jokes aren't quite paced well and this might just be an issue of the editing but the episode kind of just plods along.

Also, wow, I completely forgot about the Raditz voice gag.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:30 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 pm Dragonball Z Abridged Creator Commentary | Episode 1

Good grief, has it really already been fifteen years did the first episode came out? I haven't watched it since then so seeing it via this commentary is so surreal. I can definitely see why they cringe where they do, though. I think some of the jokes aren't quite paced well and this might just be an issue of the editing but the episode kind of just plods along.

I still love the first episode. I was really into the abridged series' and this way back when was the pedigree. The cringe only reminds me of how much farther and beyond expectations DBZA eventually became.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:30 pm

Well, 14 years. It started in 2008. Weirdly enough, it's been 10 years since I started watching DBZA. I started watching after Season 2 ended & right before Season 3 started.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:34 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:30 pm

Well, 14 years. It started in 2008. Weirdly enough, it's been 10 years since I started watching DBZA. I started watching after Season 2 ended & right before Season 3 started.
I remember watching it when it first came out because I knew Scott from a different forum. It's so hard to believe that it's already been that long! I even had a high school reunion yesterday! Yowza!

I might be due for a re-watch just for nostalgia's sake, although I suspect some of the jokes will not...sit well with me considering how much I've changed since I stopped watching after #30.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:34 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:30 pm Well, 14 years. It started in 2008. Weirdly enough, it's been 10 years since I started watching DBZA. I started watching after Season 2 ended & right before Season 3 started.
I remember watching it when it first came out because I knew Scott from a different forum. It's so hard to believe that it's already been that long! I even had a high school reunion yesterday! Yowza!

I might be due for a re-watch just for nostalgia's sake, although I suspect some of the jokes will not...sit well with me considering how much I've changed since I stopped watching after #30.
I mean, not every joke has aged that well, especially in the first season, maybe season & a half. I personally don't think DBZA came into its own until partway through Season 2 where the jokes, writing, & voice acting really stepped up in quality. Even TFS will be the first to admit that the early stuff wasn't that good, especially as their comedy sensibilities evolved over time.
And, I'm not gonna say I don't understand why some people don't like DBZA, I'm just gonna say that I disagree. In fact, I was really disappointed when they ended the series because I was waiting for them to rectify the last remaining stupid thread of bad jokes & logic that they started; Gohan resenting Goku because, even in DBZA, Gohan resenting Goku being gone as much as he does doesn't exactly make sense. He of all people, as the smartest person in the franchise next to Bulma, should realize how wrong he is & I waited for them to fix that by having someone actually talk to him about it in the Buu Saga, but they cancelled the series before they could execute that. Sigh... I hate how TFS perpetuated the bad joke of this community that Goku's a bad father who abandons his family & friends at every turn. Only with him wanting to stay dead after Gohan defeated Cell can you say that's even remotely true. And I know they started to resent doing that too towards the end, so I was waiting for them to make it better, but no.
But, other than shit like that, I feel DBZA was overall a good series. It did more good than bad & I appreciate it a lot.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:46 am

I started watching DBZA in November 2019 lol, so I’m pretty late to the party. It’s pretty mind blowing how I was 5 when TFS started the series…