DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Peach » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:56 am

No interest in seeing more Abridged. I'm sorry.

I don't think these original CGI Dragon Ball parodies really work, either. Team Four Star seems to way too into their own meta humor. Which is a problem I notice 5 seasons into shows like Venture Bros for instance. It bothers me how Cell, Frieza, and everyone's dialog is written. Regular people do not talk like that. The back and forths between Frieza and Cell don't sound natural or recorded/improvised together like in Space Ghost, Sealab, or Home Movies.

My biggest criticism of TFS is they can't create original content of their own that doesn't rely on gaming, Dragon Ball, or pre-existing franchises. I mean, look at Rooster Teeth. They made rwby.

I would have imagined they would have made their own webshow similar to Epithet Erased or Bravest Warriors by now. With totally original characters.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:53 am

They did, there was Fist Master. Though that felt way too rooted in Dragon Ball's tropes, I suppose.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:15 am

Peach wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:56 am No interest in seeing more Abridged. I'm sorry.

I don't think these original CGI Dragon Ball parodies really work, either. Team Four Star seems to way too into their own meta humor. Which is a problem I notice 5 seasons into shows like Venture Bros for instance. It bothers me how Cell, Frieza, and everyone's dialog is written. Regular people do not talk like that. The back and forths between Frieza and Cell don't sound natural or recorded/improvised together like in Space Ghost, Sealab, or Home Movies.

My biggest criticism of TFS is they can't create original content of their own that doesn't rely on gaming, Dragon Ball, or pre-existing franchises. I mean, look at Rooster Teeth. They made rwby.

I would have imagined they would have made their own webshow similar to Epithet Erased or Bravest Warriors by now. With totally original characters.
They've got a bunch of original series. Fist Master, Magic Time Wizards, they were doing a live action sketch series called 'Unabridged' before Covid scuttled it. I was also big into their TFS at the Table DnD series back in the day.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:21 pm

So Dragonball/General Anime Reviewer Totally Not Mark got Lanipator and Masokox to reprise their roles, and Kaiser to edit a quick scene before he starts the review of the 23rd Budokai. So...Goku, meets Popo...

https://youtu.be/K5NiiXO2udU?t=132

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:31 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:21 pm So Dragonball/General Anime Reviewer Totally Not Mark got Lanipator and Masokox to reprise their roles, and Kaiser to edit a quick scene before he starts the review of the 23rd Budokai. So...Goku, meets Popo...

https://youtu.be/K5NiiXO2udU?t=132
My god, do I fucking want those DB Abridged movies Kaiser talked about on stream several years ago.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Final DBCember: Top 12 Sagas.

Note: Stuff like Muscle Tower, General Blue, Tao Pai-Pai, and RRA Base will all constitute a single entry ("The Red Ribbon Army Saga").
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:01 pm

I know they are gonna put either the Freeza Saga or the Saiyan Saga at #1
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm Final DBCember: Top 12 Sagas.

Note: Stuff like Muscle Tower, General Blue, Tao Pai-Pai, and RRA Base will all constitute a single entry ("The Red Ribbon Army Saga").
imho that's just an arc. RR doesn't really pick up until General Blue comes in, and then we're off to the races when Tao comes in.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Alright, so the lower tier picks are the wildcards, but I gotta wonder..... is there general agreement on what the better arcs tend to be in the franchise?

You know, stuff that's obvious in the same vein as Freeza being the best villain, Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation being the best moment, Super Saiyan being the best form, etc.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm Alright, so the lower tier picks are the wildcards, but I gotta wonder..... is there general agreement on what the better arcs tend to be in the franchise?

You know, stuff that's obvious in the same vein as Freeza being the best villain, Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation being the best moment, Super Saiyan being the best form, etc.
Precisely. Their Top 10s are not so different from Watchmojo top 10s, to be honest
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:40 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm Alright, so the lower tier picks are the wildcards, but I gotta wonder..... is there general agreement on what the better arcs tend to be in the franchise?

Saiyan and Freeza arcs are generally in the higher half of top lists so those two are safe bets.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:26 am

This should be an interesting countdown though. I assume that GT and Super is on the table. one of the crew is gonna have that controversial don't @ me pick.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:50 am

If they will include at least one saga from GT and one from Super then and will stick to stuff that's in anime form (considering their audience):

GT: probably Baby saga is the most likely pick, highlighting the introduction of Super Saiyan 4 and Baby as a villan with an interesting backstory tied with the Saiyans.

SUPER: Future Trunks saga most likely, highlighting Zamasu as its most original idea and villan.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:05 pm

I hope you've taken Piccolo's lessons to heart, because it's time for some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4GJkXYVrCE!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:14 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:46 pm

I'm glad they got Mark for this. Likely unintentional the coincidence since they developed this year's DBcember before the incident, but it's good to see.

And I think Scott had it right. A lot of lows, but the highs were just so high.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:16 pm

Even though they ranked that arc as the lowest of the "Top 12 sagas", at least they acknowledged that the villain (Zamasu/Goku Black) carried it. That's the silver lining here :think:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah. Like, a lot of people say that the Future Trunks Arc is the highlight of the series in regards to a full arc. The problems mainly stem from the last small chunk of episodes blowing the ending's potential. It was all very rushed & some things didn't resolve in ways that either made sense or were satisfying in their own rights. However, a lot of everything else worked really well. Really good villains, a good mystery as to who Goku Black was, good pacing in the first half to 2/3, & a lot of good action.
I'm also glad that they're not also bringing in the Super Manga because I thought the ending was slightly worse there due to Zamasu & Goku Black defusing (the thing about Kais only being able to stay fused makes no sense in their case because A. Technically, Goku Black IS a Supreme Kai due to Gowasu's earrings, I guess, making him one, as it's a title, not a name, which is why his SSGSS form has pink hair rather than blue & B. Old Kai fused with a witch who wasn't a Kai for thousands of years & he didn't defuse from her at all ever), then somehow reconstituting as multiple fused Zamasus or whatever they did (cant be fucked to look up the chapter at the moment to double check) makes no sense either. Changing that ending the way he did wasn't one of Toyotaro's better narrative decisions in the manga. Like, I know Scott has said in the past that the Super Manga's better than the anime, but I can't agree at least in that moment. That was too much bullshit for me to take, sorry. The anime's anding for the arc made more sense on that level.
Last edited by Scsigs on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 pm

Personally, I always appreciated the emotional core of the Future Trunks Arc of DBS.

The voice-acting, the character interactions contrasting the grim reality of Future Trunks's life compared to the idealised and peaceful main timeline, it all just worked for me.

I think the most important thing was that this story saga was about Future Trunks in the anime; it was very clearly his story, his character development, the emotional stakes surrounding him and his original timeline.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:09 pm

It’s bittersweet for see Totally Not Mark here. On the one hand, he’s a fun presence with a great insight. On the other, it’s sad considering what he’s going through atm which this was likely all written and recorded before that happened.

Also really no GT huh? I’d have thought since there are 10 classic sagas we’d maybe get one each from Super and GT but I guess not. Although this pretty much guarantees Tournament of Power will be on this list which is fine by me since it’s my favourite Super arc.