DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:We're working out logistics and still working on FAQ 2.

Not going to lie, this hurt our morale pretty bad. We're going to keep working through it, we've already scripted episode 11!
Cool thanks for the update!

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:19 am

KaiserNeko wrote:We're working out logistics and still working on FAQ 2.

Not going to lie, this hurt our morale pretty bad. We're going to keep working through it, we've already scripted episode 11!
Well hopefully know that there is a large fan base, both here and on Youtube brings some sense of comfort. Of course there is also thatguywiththeglasses.com that is also a great host.

Looking forward to any and all future content! :D Keep up the great work Team Fourstar! :wink:

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 am

TFS DBZA - FAQ Special 2!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFYRp8WAjg

Have fun guys! Possibly another episode later this month.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:46 am

KaiserNeko wrote:TFS DBZA - FAQ Special 2!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFYRp8WAjg

Have fun guys! Possibly another episode later this month.
Poor Piccolo, he had his chance....

Glad to see the other account getting banned didn't slow you down. Keep up the good work. Can't wait 'till the Freeza Arc!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:58 am

Cat loves food. this is all.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:18 am

Oh Piccolo, I missed you. X3
You too, Bojack.

Wonderful little FAQ; looking forward to the next episode!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 am

LOL, "Yeah yeah, cat loves food, nobody cares."

Well done.

-Corey

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:48 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:LOL, "Yeah yeah, cat loves food, nobody cares."
What exactly is all this "cat loves food" stuff about anyway? Is this some internet meme I missed out on?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:02 am

Herms wrote:
What exactly is all this "cat loves food" stuff about anyway? Is this some internet meme I missed out on?
One of the dub's biggest offenders in bizarre lines in an attempt to be funny.
Last edited by bkev on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:03 am

Herms wrote:
It's a ridiculous dub line from Yamcha. He's just randomly singing it while he's off screen one time.

"Cat loves food! Yeah yeah yeah!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:06 am

Ah OK, thanks. That's, well, certainly interesting.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Ichigo Storm

Post by Ichigo Storm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:57 am

Absolutely fantastic.

"Damn you, you filthy monkey!"

Don't worry Piccolo. We love you.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 am

I love everytime Bojack is mentioned on Kaio-sama's planet.

"YAR! I CAN'T SEE IT, A PLANET BE IN THE WAY!"

:lol:

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Wow, this was great! Love how Tien turned out. Also, Bojack being back was nice. Poor Piccolo, though. XD

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Ah, can't get enough of Tenshinhan. And I know Chaotzu was supposed to be a little smart ass in this FAQ but I couldn't help but find him adorable.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm

We've talked at length about the character voices, the way they're cast, etc.

I get all that. I really do.

But I can't fucking understand Kaio at all.

It sounds like he's got some really funny jokes in there. I *know* he does, because I caught some of them re-watching it again and closely paying attention. I still didn't catch them all, though. I can't even imagine what it's like for the non-FUNimation, foreign fans of DBZ to tune in and try to watch these episodes and specials; it's got to be near-impossible.

Who's directing you, Kaiser? Are you self-directing? If so, you can't. It just doesn't work. Is it someone else? Regardless, the enunciation needs incredible work. I... well, I think it's impossible to use a voice based on Schemmel's/FUNimation's version of the voice and still come across as intelligible, but then again... if Schemmel can't do it, and Kaiser can't do it, I seriously wonder if it's possible at all.

I've noticed it before, but with Kaio playing a more central role in this particular (short) FAQ/special, it was really brought into the forefront a lot more.

Again, as you know... I bitch because I love :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We've talked at length about the character voices, the way they're cast, etc.

I get all that. I really do.

But I can't fucking understand Kaio at all.

It sounds like he's got some really funny jokes in there. I *know* he does, because I caught some of them re-watching it again and closely paying attention. I still didn't catch them all, though. I can't even imagine what it's like for the non-FUNimation, foreign fans of DBZ to tune in and try to watch these episodes and specials; it's got to be near-impossible.

Who's directing you, Kaiser? Are you self-directing? If so, you can't. It just doesn't work. Is it someone else? Regardless, the enunciation needs incredible work. I... well, I think it's impossible to use a voice based on Schemmel's/FUNimation's version of the voice and still come across as intelligible, but then again... if Schemmel can't do it, and Kaiser can't do it, I seriously wonder if it's possible at all.

I've noticed it before, but with Kaio playing a more central role in this particular (short) FAQ/special, it was really brought into the forefront a lot more.

Again, as you know... I bitch because I love :).
Hm... Has anyone else has this problem?

I can see where you're coming from Mike. Even I have to go back and listen to my lines a few times, wondering if people understand them well enough, but it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Every once in a while, we'll get a comment with someone not understanding a line from Kaio-sama. But it's such a non-issue that I've just been voicing King Kai like this for the longest time because that's just how the character sounds.

I suppose I can focus more on the pronunciation in the future, to make it easier for people. But as I said, we show these to friends who have never seen the script at all before we post it and none of them have said they can't understand King Kai, same with most of our fans, so... Please forgive the infraction. ^.^;

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Pretty funny, I'm glad to see some more from you guys :D! I understood everything King Kai said with no trouble at all... with shitty speakers. Maybe because I've watched the dub and I'm familiar with the mannerisms that ya'll are imitating.

By the way, what was up with constantly switching video sources? That was distracting.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah... some of those clips looked Ocean VHS quality. What was up with that?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Yeah, see, I'm currently having a little trouble acquiring the footage again.

See, back when I was younger, I'd owned this series... a couple times, really. VHS, DVD. I have the first two seasons of the Orange Brick thanks to a very, very cheap deal, but the rest of the footage? Yeah, not... so much. I'm struggling with that a little right now. A lot of that footage is from very, very late episodes of the Freeza saga, which I only have VHS copies of. The DVDs I had are no longer in my possession.

Currently, I'm low on cash as well, but hopefully I'll have higher quality footage when it comes down to those episodes.