DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Eh, #131 is great but #130 is very flawed. Too melodramatic and overt in its themes; very un-Dragon Ball like.

This means either Goku vs Vegeta, Freeza vs Goku or Piccolo Jr vs Goku is left out. I'm sure it's gonna be PIccolo Jr vs Goku. That's depressing, considering it's my favorite in the series.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:Eh, #131 is great but #130 is very flawed. Too melodramatic and overt in its themes; very un-Dragon Ball like.

This means either Goku vs Vegeta, Freeza vs Goku or Piccolo Jr vs Goku is left out. I'm sure it's gonna be PIccolo Jr vs Goku. That's depressing, considering it's my favorite in the series.
*grabs his Jordans*
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Not surprised Goku, Freeza and #17 vs Jiren made the top 3. Episodes 127 - 131 felt like such a war of a fight. With Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and #17 desperately trying to overcome the insane wall that was Jiren. And when they finally did it, holy shit, it was fucking amazing.

No doubt in my mind the final two spots will be Goku vs Freeza and then Goku vs Vegeta. Those are the quentesional fights of Dragon Ball. Those are the fights that people remember Dragon Ball in general for the most.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:26 pm

I dunno guys, I think Freeza might be getting left out. Between that, Vegeta and Piccolo Jr, one is noticeably worse than the other two. I mean until Kai came out, whoever said to themselves “hey I feel like sitting down and watching the Freeza fight”? Even then, it’s still a slog.

Hell, I’ve watched the finale of Goku and Freeza v Jiren about a hundred times and that came out this year.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Nice, Piccolo vs Goku is number 2. I'm glad I was proven wrong. It should be number one though ;)

This means Freeza or Vegeta gets left out, disappointing all the same. Unless first place is a tie between the two.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:Nice, Piccolo vs Goku is number 2. I'm glad I was proven wrong. It should be number one though ;)

This means Freeza or Vegeta gets left out, disappointing all the same. Unless first place is a tie between the two.
Their honorable mentions reveal that Frieza is left out
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Nice, Piccolo vs Goku is number 2. I'm glad I was proven wrong. It should be number one though ;)

That's depressing. Goku vs Freeza is one of the more thematically rich fights in the series and the choreography, artwork and pacing in the manga is downright spectacular. I would definitely have it in my top 3.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

That's depressing. Goku vs Freeza is one of the more thematically rich fights in the series and the choreography and pacing in the manga is downright spectacular. I would definitely have it in my top 3.
Why would the manga matter when they're rating the anime fights?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Their honorable mentions reveal that Frieza is left out
That's depressing. Goku vs Freeza is one of the more thematically rich fights in the series and the choreography and pacing in the manga is downright spectacular. I would definitely have it in my top 3.
Yeah, I was totally expecting nostalgia to carry Goku vs Freeza into the top 2. But looking at subjectively and critically, the anime version of Goku vs Freeza is one of the worst paced fights I've seen in any animated show. It just goes on F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

And on top of that, has terribly integrated filler sections that break up the structure and pace of the fight. Even watching the cut down version of the battle in Kai is a bit of a marathon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Yeah, I was totally expecting nostalgia to carry Goku vs Freeza into the top 2. But looking at subjectively and critically, the anime version of Goku vs Freeza is one of the worst paced fights I've seen in any animated show. It just goes on F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

And on top of that, has terribly integrated filler sections that break up the structure and pace of the fight. Even watching the cut down version of the battle in Kai is a bit of a marathon.
Hell, in TFS's explanation of why it didn't make the list, there were more filler elements that I don't even remember happening. Goku getting trapped in a volcano for an entire episode during the fight and apparently Gohan showing up?

Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Why would the manga matter when they're rating the anime fights?

Hell, in TFS's explanation of why it didn't make the list, there were more filler elements that I don't even remember happening. Goku getting trapped in a volcano for an entire episode during the fight and apparently Gohan showing up?
Don't forget the Ginyu-Frog/Bulma subplot.

I'm personally delighted Goku vs Piccolo Jr made it into the top 2. The fight is spectacular. And the 23rd WMAT in general doesn't get enough love. It's top 3 arc material.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Not shocked in the slightest that Vegeta vs Everyone in the Saiyan arc tops the list. It's the penultimate Dragon Ball fight. It's one of two fights in all of Dragon Ball that have infinite rewatch value regardless of what medium you watch them in.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Big agree - 100% on this one! Easily the best fight in the series for me in terms of how it goes down and what it sets up.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:12 am

I skimmed through the honorable mentions video but couldn't find it. Did they mention why Piccolo Daimao was left out?

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:35 am

Doctor. wrote:I skimmed through the honorable mentions video but couldn't find it. Did they mention why Piccolo Daimao was left out?
Namely that the fight was mostly just a curbstomp.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:11 am

Merry Christmas!

DBZA Episode 60 Epilogue:
https://youtu.be/3IvHXD7UoVI
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:18 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to You and Yours. And thanks!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:20 am

Oh God, the Jiren reference floored me :lol:

It came out of nowhere but it was the funniest joke in a while.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:49 am

This is so weird, I was on a DBZA binge this past couple of days. I don't even know why.

Loved the "Bitch I'm adorable" the most along with Cell talking to the audience like it was Dora the Explorer